home

Author Topic: Timbor's Fantasy Log (12-7 Westfalia Halflings)  (Read 69986 times)

Offline White Knight

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (03-16 Update - WK Halberds!)
« Reply #125 on: March 19, 2012, 02:13:33 PM »
now if only tho hobbit heads were finished...  :engel:

Soonish. :engel:

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (06-01 Update - Junk!)
« Reply #126 on: June 01, 2012, 10:53:48 PM »
What?  No, I didn't disappear.  Though I did move house and was kept busy for a while with that.

Right now I am playing in an online WFB campaign set in the Karibbean:  http://z15.invisionfree.com/Old_Grey_Beards/index.php?act=idx
(If such a story-based game interests anyone, we still have one spot open in our faction - the Cult of the Celestial Canopy - PM me for details)

My character is a Nipponese samurai/ronin, and he needed a boat.  I found myself a nice little junk on ebay:
for pretty cheap.

I got it, and assembled it:

Width was somewhat disappointing, only about 55mm so I can only fit 2 20mm bases side by side, but for the price it works well.

Then, this past week I got back into casting my hirst arts molds (I now have a dedicated workshop!) and while casting the blocks for a castle/fort, I made use of some extra to cast some more details for the ship, in addition to modifying a few other parts:

Its not done yet, but so far I like the progression.  The clay tile roof is one of my favourite hirst arts molds.  That and the cavern accessory mold!  Pure awesomeness right there!
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2012, 05:35:15 AM »
The junk looks very nice, you were lucky to find it. These is gonna be an interesting project.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2012, 08:31:49 AM »
I like your junk...  :blush:

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2012, 03:45:18 PM »
The junk looks very nice, you were lucky to find it. These is gonna be an interesting project.

Thanks!  There were a ton on ebay from China for like $15 with free shipping.  I got this one from the UK though for about $20 shipped

I like your junk...  :blush:

:icon_lol:
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2012, 04:31:09 PM »
Hmmm. Why did that red cross appear?  :icon_confused:

Anyway, here's a direct link:
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0418.html

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #131 on: June 03, 2012, 02:07:49 PM »
Hmmm. Why did that red cross appear?  :icon_confused:

It's the special feature of this site - it recognises and will not allow junk to be shown.      :engel:

Funnily enough they all show on the quote/reply page - way beyond my interwebby skills.

Nice work Tim - what looked like a tourist style ornament has really taken off. 

No!  I don't mean it's literally taken off - that would make it flying junk. 
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2012, 03:30:19 AM »
Got some more work done on the ship - most/all of the detailing is done now.  I still have to refine some of the gap filling.  I added some pieces to the gunwales and the stern, finished the railings on the main deck, and added a figurehead to the bow.

You cannot see it in the pictures, but I also cut out some plasticard to make a level deck inside the cabin.  I have not done anything with the sails, as they are individual pieces of balsa and I will work with them once the main boat is ready to paint.  I am considering trying a wood stain for the part I want to remain 'wood' but am unsure if it will work well since some of the dental stone pieces are supposed to be wood.  They will not stain well, they will just soak it up and be a nice uniform brown.  Perhaps I could seal the stone pieces with some diluted PVA glue?

Onto the pictures!

I thought about removing the horns on the gunwales, but they are fastened with carpenters glue which will likely make a mess of the balsa if I try and separate it.  I kinda like it... makes the ship more intimidating  P)  Also, they might be able to use em to fasten ropes and stuff... maybe...

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (06-11 Update - Junk! With paint!)
« Reply #133 on: June 12, 2012, 03:18:18 AM »
Well, I filled the most obvious gaps in the hull, finished most/all of the detailing, slapped on a basecoat of paint, and even sealed up the dental stone pieces with some diluted PVA - she is ready for a nice coat of wood stain!  The paint scheme is loosely based on the Ralgard paint scheme from Uncharted Seas.  I am curious to see the result.  After the stain I may add some more highlights depending on how it looks.  Likely the red will need a bit of work after the stain.

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #134 on: June 13, 2012, 10:32:13 AM »
Good progress.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Wendersnaven

• Members
  • Kung Fu Dice
« Reply #135 on: June 13, 2012, 09:03:46 PM »
That's gonna look awesome with the ribbed square sails on it.  :Ohmy:

I thought you were going Nippon rather than Cathay= Woku Vs. Junk.
Dear Friend of Stirland,

Your shoes have been put on backorder. We appreciate your custom.

Hope we are finding you shod,
Stirland

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #136 on: June 13, 2012, 09:14:24 PM »
Woku... is that a kind of ship?  I am not familiary with the term.  From my very limited knowledge a junk is the type of ship with square prow and the ribbed sails.

Now, Wako pirates, on the other hand, were of japanese (Nipponese?) origins.  I guess some might consider my crew to be such.  I considered some of these for the crew:
http://cavalcadewargames.com/cavalcade/Wako_Pirates.html

However I can only fit about 12 crew and my nippon rocket launcher on the boat, so it is already full  :icon_mrgreen:

Offline Timbor

• Members
Moar painting!  ;D

First off, I managed to get a stain in on the ship a couple days ago, but was too busy to post pictures until now.  So, here are some nice shots of the junk after a coat of stain:

I am quite pleased with the result!  I think all it needs is a touch up with some highlights and I will declare the boat pretty much finished.  Now the sails on the other hand... gotta get started on those.

In other, most exciting news, I also received this week a much anticipated load of WK dwarfs and goblins.  Such great stuff!  I could not help but put together this little character.  I  mounted him on a scibor scenic base, and here is the result.  I still have to figure out a nice light box or something, as I think the colours got a bit skewed in the picture.  Looks much nicer in person.  But for now, I present to you Gob de Leon!

A special thanks to WK for putting the effort into producing and sharing this lovely line.  'Twas a joy to paint!

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
Nice boat!

And I really like the conquistador goblin.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
That is incredible, very nice work.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Timbor

• Members
I forgot to update you fellows when I finished the junk:

I am pretty happy with the results!  I might add some more details at a later date, but for now its time to move on to other projects!

Speaking of which, a friend recently sent me a blog link on making my own light tent: link, and I made one last night!

Its good that I made it too, as it was just in time to try out on the master gunner I finished painting:

I would say it definitely gives a smoother colour, but I need some brighter lights.  Check out how the 'Gob de Leon' looks in the light tent, compared to just under the lights in the previous post:

The colours and contrast definitely come out less harsh, IMO.  Almost makes me look like a better painter!  :biggriin:

Lastly, I started a new blog recently which you should check out!  I am new to the world of blogging, so any comments on how to make it more awesome would be appreciated!  I also have a few more pictures up there which I did not post here  :icon_cool:

Link (its also in my signature): http://mylifeinmm.blogspot.ca/
« Last Edit: July 09, 2012, 12:32:51 AM by Timbor »

Offline Syphon

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (07-08 - Junk Finished! Gunner too!)
« Reply #142 on: July 10, 2012, 07:01:23 PM »
Nice! One question though Timbor: What is WK? Warknight? Weary Klansmen? Woozy Kids? Whaaat? :o
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #143 on: July 10, 2012, 07:24:20 PM »
White Knight - he is a forum user and has these awesome Goblins for sale.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #144 on: July 11, 2012, 01:44:04 AM »
The Dark Knight has it.  WK has become somewhat of an addiction for me, though I seem to be one of the few who love those goblins enough to buy a whole bunch of em!

A little birdy told me about some exciting WK releases in the next couple months.  I would be excited if I were you  :happy:

Offline Spjuth

• Members
« Reply #145 on: July 11, 2012, 02:38:54 PM »
Great Master gunner! Love the colourfullness!!  :smile2:

Aslo I would buy all of WK's full set goblins if I had the budget...

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #146 on: July 11, 2012, 02:49:48 PM »
Timbor, I love your autumnal style bases - can you give a breakdown of how you do it? Specifically; what is that clay-brown color on the edge of the bases, where did you get that fun autumnal flock stuff, and what is the technique for getting the texture on the base that color? I really like the style and think it will be perfect for MSP (My Secret Project) which I am planning after I have got my current army done.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #147 on: July 12, 2012, 04:23:13 AM »
Its been a while since I have done any autumn bases, but they were as follows:

- Sand borrowed from a playground, glued with PVA glue before priming (works ok if its after too...)
- paint entire base in watered down Bestial Brown or equivalent
- paint edges, drybrush base with Graveyard Earth or equivalent
- pick out rocks with Codex Grey or equivalent
- highlight rocks with a bit lighter grey

I added some basic green flock, then for the autumn colour it is GF9 autumn blend flock:

http://www.maelstromgames.co.uk/index.php?act=pro&pre=gf9_hob_scn_flk_131_000

Hope that helps!

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: Timbor's Fantastic Fantasy Log (07-12 Samurai!)
« Reply #148 on: July 12, 2012, 11:25:40 AM »
Just finished this old Citadel Samurai, who is the captain of the Junk.

Behold, Haru, captain of the Shugyosha Sueshiju!

Photos were taken with my new homemade light box!

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #149 on: July 12, 2012, 02:06:03 PM »
Hope that helps!

It does indeed! I shall grab some of that GF9 flock - I've always been interested to try it.