home

Author Topic: Talabecland Forest Patrol - Update 15 Dec  (Read 58704 times)

Offline Herostratos

• Members
Re: Talabecland Forest Patrol
« Reply #25 on: October 05, 2009, 01:59:35 PM »
Did you come up with the designs for those sheilds?

Are you planning on using those designs for some of your units?

I just made those shields up as I went along. I used old German coats of arms as a loose reference. The whole "backstory" part I came up with while I posted the picture here and noticed I had an Imperial cross and the comet on, but I think it fits. :blush: I don't think I'll be using the designs for units but they might make a reappearance on the one or other banner or maybe a hero. Haven't given it much thought so far.

I would recommend you still use black to undercoat metals. I'm working on a rank of spearmen at the moment and tried just going over the grey and the result is just too flat. I might redo the metal, don't know yet. For just about everything else, the grey is great though.

Offline Herostratos

• Members
« Reply #26 on: October 05, 2009, 02:09:10 PM »
Sorry for the double post but I just found this site:

Heraldy of the World
http://www.ngw.nl/int/dld/germany.htm

Grrrrreat resource for anyone looking for historical coats of arms for their Empire troops.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #27 on: October 05, 2009, 02:21:29 PM »
Did you come up with the designs for those sheilds?

Are you planning on using those designs for some of your units?

I just made those shields up as I went along. I used old German coats of arms as a loose reference. The whole "backstory" part I came up with while I posted the picture here and noticed I had an Imperial cross and the comet on, but I think it fits. :blush: I don't think I'll be using the designs for units but they might make a reappearance on the one or other banner or maybe a hero. Haven't given it much thought so far.
Good idea for using on other banners and heros. :icon_cool:

I would recommend you still use black to undercoat metals. I'm working on a rank of spearmen at the moment and tried just going over the grey and the result is just too flat. I might redo the metal, don't know yet. For just about everything else, the grey is great though.
On my regular infantry, I've been basecoating in white, but if they have metal armor, then I paint a watered down coat of black first and then the metal color.  I suspect for the grey primer that this would work, too.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Herostratos

• Members
« Reply #28 on: October 05, 2009, 02:26:31 PM »
Yep, that's what I've been doind since. :icon_smile:

Offline Gustavus Magnus

• Members
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2009, 06:09:19 PM »
 :eusa_clap:  Bravo!
Gustavus Magnus, of Bögenhafen; Mercenary Captain, Explorer, Spy, Scout, and Outrider.

Offline Alexos

• Members
« Reply #30 on: October 05, 2009, 09:43:55 PM »
You sir, are the best!

Offline Perambulator

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Much Less Dense Than Other Lawyers!
« Reply #31 on: October 05, 2009, 09:47:42 PM »
 :Ohmy: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
Quote from: Johan Willhelm
Quote from: Dendo Star
Muppets do not have Hatred!
I bet "Animal" has Frenzy . . .

Offline GumbaFish

• Members
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2009, 03:31:05 AM »
Looking really nice there.  I haven't seen many people painting up those new archers for some reason, they are lovely models and I like what you have done with them.  Good choice on the metal handgunners, they are the only handgunner models I like that GW has made..which may explain why I currently own no hangunners :icon_lol:

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2009, 05:22:20 AM »
Great job!  Im sure everyone is waiting to see more!

Offline Marius

• Members
  • One human male giving himself brain surgery
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2009, 06:12:03 AM »
Grey primer, ay?

Must try that myself
You're forgetting that the British Army is made up of transvestites and gigolos. Its our greatest weapon. Taliban are fecking terrified.

Offline Acadian

• Members
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2009, 11:42:49 AM »
Holy crap....
As an Talabeclander myself.
These are incredible.
best painting i saw in a long time. :eusa_clap:

Offline Silvero

• Members
  • Commission painter, at your service!
    • https://www.facebook.com/HeyPaintIt/
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2009, 12:29:59 PM »
Cool painting.Very nice work. :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Maybe it was already meant, but: What is your painitng flash recipe???
Thanks

Silvero

Offline Gneisenau

• Members
  • Alleged Ungulate
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2009, 12:35:05 PM »
Now that is some extremely clean painting! I'd have to skip the daily coffee ration for at least a week to get my hands steady like that!

Also, you get some major bonus points for using those old handgunners. :::cheers::: Please post more pictures!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2009, 02:20:33 PM »
Great painting! I haven't picked up any archers, though the GW pics looked decent. Your nice close-up photos have sold me on them!

Just one thing: THe banner bearer's face was unpainted. Does this mean that you paint sans undercoat? If so, it will support my hypothesis that armies pained without an undercoat look better than ones that are painted with one.

I'd caution against skipping the primer.  Without a basecoat the models will not paint up well (the paint won't want to stay in place, it has a hard time adhering to the plastic).  The paint, once dry, will also rub off the model much easier during normal handling.

Primer, on the other hand, actually bonds to the plastic.  And then the paint bonds to the layer of primer, for a very strong coat that will resist rubbing off much better than an unprimed mini.

I 100% agree with Pistol Pete.

If you are careful with your application of the primer & don't glob it all over (just like any other paints), then it should only improve the painting quality.

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2009, 03:52:55 PM »
Great painting! I haven't picked up any archers, though the GW pics looked decent. Your nice close-up photos have sold me on them!

Honestly i think the archers kit is probably the best kit of the 7th ed empire releases.  It really is a treasure trove of great parts.

If you are careful with your application of the primer & don't glob it all over (just like any other paints), then it should only improve the painting quality.

Ugggh.  Nothing makes a model look worse than a super thick coat of paint that obscures the details.  I keep a water dropper handy to water down my paints as necessary, and I make sure the paint pots don't get sludgy by adding water when they get too thick, and dropping a small glass marble in each pot (to shake the paint up before use).

Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #40 on: October 06, 2009, 05:05:05 PM »
Nice mix of old and new models.  I really want some of the new archers.
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2009, 05:46:44 PM »
I keep resisiting the temptation to buy those new archers because I got so many other units that need work, and I'm not sure what I'd use them for at the moment either.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2009, 07:36:31 PM »
I keep resisiting the temptation to buy those new archers because I got so many other units that need work, and I'm not sure what I'd use them for at the moment either.
think back as far as you can remember, think what you would have now if you had bought it then, with GW you never know what is going to be on the shelves for years (Emp Knights) and what may only last a year if that long.  If you like it buy it now while you can, you can always sell it on ebay in a few years if you never use it.  Oh and those archers are worth it, just for the parts if nothing else.  steveb

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2009, 07:38:24 PM »
Of course, you might also end up with a shitload of unpainted models staring at you...

:biggriin:
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2009, 08:10:47 PM »

Thanks guys. Like I said, his pics above were already tempting me. Now I'm going to be drooling over the archer box at game night this week. But at the same time I'm trying to watch what I spend because I know I will be spending my rent money on Skaven... plus rumored upcoming historical releases from Perry Miniatures and Crusader, all set to hit the market around the same time.

Very mean. When my fiance's pissed because we're out on the street with nowhere to live, but have boxes of miniatures, I'm telling her to log on here and blame all of you.  :wink:

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #45 on: October 06, 2009, 08:38:45 PM »
I'll let you live in my basement for painting services...

And I'm not kidding.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2009, 03:33:34 AM »
I think we are starting to rob this guys painting thread, but see what happens when the painting is this good. :icon_wink:

think back as far as you can remember, think what you would have now if you had bought it then, with GW you never know what is going to be on the shelves for years (Emp Knights) and what may only last a year if that long.  If you like it buy it now while you can, you can always sell it on ebay in a few years if you never use it.  Oh and those archers are worth it, just for the parts if nothing else.  steveb
steveb ... you're bad, and not good for my wallet either. :icon_wink:  I was in a hobby store this evening, and didn't walk past the WFB section on purpose because of those darn archers.  At the moment, I'm trying to complete 9 deffkoptas, and then after that, I'm hoping to return my attention to my Empire army which has plenty of unfinished units waiting for me to work on them.  Besides, my birthday and the holdiay season aren't too far off as well.

But yes, I get what you mean.  Kind of like me ordering the current White Dwarf model before it disappears, which will get added to the other dwarfs from the 7th edition starter set, that I haven't done anything with yet, except rob the cannon for an extra one for some games with my nephews, and the cart and pony used as a baggage train for a few scenarios.  Oh, and by the way ... bought(ordered) my first Empire model in months (been buying 40K Orks since early June) ... the new Captain with sword and sheild.  Not sure I'll add him to my Averland army, but I've been wanting to paint him since I first saw him months back.  The archers seem so good for the price, and I'm itching to win a prize at some point to pick up some of the new great swords (the recent WD with the main feature being the Empire was very inspiring for connversions), and eventually my first steam tank, too. :::cheers:::
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 01:37:21 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Herostratos

• Members
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2009, 08:49:11 AM »
Just keep chatting away, it's fine by me. :happy:

I'll pipe in from time to time and dump some pictures, but I'd have to paint something before I could do that! :unsure: Doesn't help that I finally bought AoE3 last week. Arr, need to get painting again.

And those archers - buy them! The box is my absolute favourite at the moment. The best plastics GW has produced in the last few years, definitely. And if you don't need any more arches, make a Marienburger warband out of them, I know I was sorely tempted to do that...

Offline Khalek

• Members
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2009, 08:56:00 AM »
the archer models are absolutely gorgeous to be fair. i'm STILL not impressed with the state troops, there are so many things wrong with them it's unreal (for example a man with enough chest armour for full plate, yet no shoes...) but the archer models are amazing, and you do them so much justice. the detail is fantastic, and they're highlighted perfectly. Can i just ask how you got the yellow to look that colour? sorry if it's already been answered...

EDIT: Ooop, already been answered. Thanks though!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2009, 01:41:43 PM »
... Doesn't help that I finally bought AoE3 last week. Arr, need to get painting again.

The AoE3 reference is not connecting with me. :icon_redface:

And those archers - buy them! The box is my absolute favourite at the moment. The best plastics GW has produced in the last few years, definitely. And if you don't need any more arches, make a Marienburger warband out of them, I know I was sorely tempted to do that...
Oooh!  And maybe I could make that new captain with sword and shield their commmander!

(GP has just run off to a more appropriate thread to continue on this tangent ... with a Mordheim question. :icon_wink:)