home

Author Topic: Talabecland Forest Patrol - Update 15 Dec  (Read 58672 times)

Offline Herostratos

• Members
Talabecland Forest Patrol - Update 15 Dec
« on: October 04, 2009, 09:02:48 PM »
Hey guys,

I'm new to W-E and I thought, I might best introduce myself with a couple of pictures.

What I'm currently working on is supposed to become a little Talabecland forest patrol under the vaunted captain Morgenroth, Talabecland man and often leader of the frequent patrols around Unterbaum, a town close to the Stir. I'm going to try to stick to the background and use more archers than usual and other than that, mostly well-equipped troops. We'll see how that works out and how much I get done before getting sidetracked.

So, here's what's done so far - 3 measly archers (2 shown), 5 handgunners and a banner for the first state troops unit:

These two archers are a permanent part of Captain Morgenroth's household and thus are seen here with state uniforms under their woodsmens' coats. Scouts like these are the Captain's eyes and ears out in the forest.

A detachment of Unterbaum's garrison gunners. Ofttimes these men will be older than the rest of a town's garrison, due to them supporting the troops rather than actually fighting on the frontline themselves. This drastically decreases the amount of casualties among these troops.

A typical Talabecland banner, this one shows Taal's Tree as the central motif on a quartered field of the province's colours. The shields show the city of Unterbaum's connection to the Emperor in Altdorf, Sigmar and various other allies. (This one is ever so slightly WIP.)

So, I hope you like what you see! I'd appreciate any comments and critique and sorry for the dodgy pictures, couldn't wait till daylight.
:blush:
« Last Edit: December 15, 2009, 12:27:04 PM by Herostratos »

Offline Merrick

• Members
  • I say!
    • http://www.facebook.com/WinHereWinThereWinWinEverywhere
Re: Talabecland Forest Patrol
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2009, 09:11:24 PM »
Hey, welcome to......GOOD GOD THOSE ARE BEAUTIFUL.  :icon_eek:  :eusa_clap:

Offline Immovable Object

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2009, 09:19:30 PM »
Now thats an entrance!!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2009, 09:19:41 PM »
Excellent! :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Really enjoyed seeing these.  Another reason for me to eventually purchase a box of those archers.  I'm surprised to see the armour on the older metal handgunners painted over as if part of the shirt, but this came off well.  The small sheilds on the banner are a very good detail. :icon_cool:

Welcome to W-E! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline agger

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2009, 09:49:28 PM »
those are some extremely nice courlors! how did you achive the yellow and the red? and how did you create that "red haired" effect?

Offline Herostratos

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2009, 10:16:38 PM »
Wow, glad you like 'em! :Ohmy: And thanks for the welcome.

Agger, I'll post up a description tomorrow, got to be off to bed now.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2009, 10:26:37 PM »
Nice paint job, especially that banner

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2009, 10:31:42 PM »
Those look excellent!
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Von Breden

• Members
  • Remembering the Eccentric
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2009, 10:49:41 PM »
Beautiful. I both love and hate you for your yellow. :ph34r:
Quote from: Siberius
I never noticed your height on account of your fabulous manly imperial beard.

He who has such amazing facial hair will never be short in the eyes of his comrades!

Offline Dunrik

• Members
  • Alexander von Wolfenberg
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2009, 10:54:32 PM »
They are beautiful :Ohmy:
RIP Rufas/Ironmonger

"You must not fear death, my lads; defy him, and you drive him into the enemy's ranks."
Napoleon Bonaparte

My blog, http://wolfenbergtimes.blogspot.com/

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2009, 11:23:45 PM »
Gorgeous work. I particularly like the flesh.
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2009, 11:49:07 PM »
I really like the figures and the flag and faces are top knotch, thanks for sharing your work and be sure to post more. steveb

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 12:26:19 AM »
Wow, these are simply glorious!

That first archer with the dagger... he's got a terrific expression on his face, like he really means business.  That's one of the best painted faces I've ever seen on a minature.

If i were you, I'd get a picture of that guy against a plain background and use it as my avatar.

Is there any chance you could do a face painting tutorial for the workshop?  I'd love to see how you did that...
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline Union General

• Members
  • Kicking butt since 1863.
« Reply #13 on: October 05, 2009, 02:43:35 AM »
Well done! Base them and they'll look even better!  :eusa_clap:
-The General
I like your thinking  Mr. General  what a Genius

Offline Alexos

• Members
« Reply #14 on: October 05, 2009, 03:27:58 AM »
Wow... This is the reason I joined WHFB. The colorful uniforms and even more colorful and vivid fluff that make up the Empire.

I give a round of applauding to your painting  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

and a toast, because you make me remember my first reasons for joining

Cheers.
 :::cheers:::

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2009, 05:14:09 AM »
This is absolutely great painting !

Welcome to the forum. Did you dip or wash anything ?
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Alexos

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2009, 05:30:18 AM »
Yeah, what soth said, 'cept I would also like to know how you painted your colors come out so...   :-D and how did you do your skin and eyes... In other words, TUTORIAL PLEZ! :icon_biggrin:

Offline Marius

• Members
  • One human male giving himself brain surgery
« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2009, 06:17:42 AM »
Oh

My

Those arr great!

Just one thing: THe banner bearer's face was unpainted. Does this mean that you paint sans undercoat? If so, it will support my hypothesis that armies pained without an undercoat look better than ones that are painted with one.
You're forgetting that the British Army is made up of transvestites and gigolos. Its our greatest weapon. Taliban are fecking terrified.

Offline Siberius

• Members
  • The Minotaur Cat
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2009, 07:57:54 AM »
Not much useful to add except to agree that these guys are looking very cool and I expect if you keep going with this it'll be a very well watched thread...
Quote from: PhillyT
Magic does not have nearly the same problems with power levels as magic. 

Offline fbjorn

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 05, 2009, 08:24:27 AM »
Wellcome!

I agree to everyone. I like the black feathers.

:::cheers:::
fbjorn

Offline peraturabo

• Members
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2009, 10:40:40 AM »
hello,favourite thread

oh my god,these are awesome!

Offline Herostratos

• Members
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2009, 10:49:45 AM »
Thanks guys! What a response. :ph34r:

Let's see if I can sort this out...

GamesPoet, I saw similar shields on historic German banners and thought it might fit the Empire's federal structure just as well (the Empire is Rennaissance Germany with real griffons, right?).

Agger, the reds and yellows are both based on GW's Foundation paints. I'll try to post up a tutorial sometime soon. Got lots of WIP models laying around anyway. In short:
Red: Paint everything Mechrite Red. Wash with 1:1 mix of Baal Red and Devlan Mud. Reapply Mechrite Red as a first, broad highlight. Highlight once or twice with well-thinned Blood Red. Set pinpoint highlights with a mix of Blood Red, Fiery Orange and Bleached Bone.
The trick is to use the Blood Red to pull the whole surface out of that dull, magenta look the Mechrite gives and into the red range.
The yellow is a bit simpler. Same technique but with these paints: Iyanden Darksun, Sepia wash, Darksun again, then highlights with mixes of Darksun, Golden Yellow, white. I'll elaborate on this in a short tutorial later.

Pistol Pete, might just as well do one for faces while I'm at it. :) Glad you like the dagger guy, he's my current favourite too.

Soth, I did use the new(ish) GW washes to shade just about everything, but worked over them afterwards. I also gave some parts (like the beards eg) washes with regular thinned paint.

Marius, I always paint over a basecoat. What you see is Fanatic Army Painter's grey undercoat spray. It's about as light as Codex Grey but a little colder - I love it as you can paint both light and dark tones over it without any problems. Painted a Bloodbowl elf some weeks ago and used the grey as base for the white robes. Works a treat.

OK, I think I got everything in. :icon_smile: Might get some painting done tonight... If so, I'll post pics.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 12:22:46 PM »
Good Golly MsMolly those are nice   :Ohmy: :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 12:55:04 PM »
Just one thing: THe banner bearer's face was unpainted. Does this mean that you paint sans undercoat? If so, it will support my hypothesis that armies pained without an undercoat look better than ones that are painted with one.

I'd caution against skipping the primer.  Without a basecoat the models will not paint up well (the paint won't want to stay in place, it has a hard time adhering to the plastic).  The paint, once dry, will also rub off the model much easier during normal handling.

Primer, on the other hand, actually bonds to the plastic.  And then the paint bonds to the layer of primer, for a very strong coat that will resist rubbing off much better than an unprimed mini.

The basecoat also serves as un undercoat for the colors you paint on top.  If you don't belive this matters, try painting metals without a black undercoat, or painting a bright color (yellow?) over a dark color (black).  It definately affects the outcome, as the basecoat will influence the look of the paint on top of it.

Personally, I like a white basecoat because it makes my colors look bright.  I always paint metal areas black, beforehand, though because they look so terrible if painted over white.  Chaos black thins down beautifully, and adds  no bulk to the paintjob, but covers the white very quickly and easily.
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #24 on: October 05, 2009, 01:45:44 PM »

GamesPoet, I saw similar shields on historic German banners and thought it might fit the Empire's federal structure just as well (the Empire is Rennaissance Germany with real griffons, right?).
Did you come up with the designs for those sheilds?

Are you planning on using those designs for some of your units?

Agger, the reds and yellows are both based on GW's Foundation paints. I'll try to post up a tutorial sometime soon. Got lots of WIP models laying around anyway. In short:
Red: Paint everything Mechrite Red. Wash with 1:1 mix of Baal Red and Devlan Mud. Reapply Mechrite Red as a first, broad highlight. Highlight once or twice with well-thinned Blood Red. Set pinpoint highlights with a mix of Blood Red, Fiery Orange and Bleached Bone.
The trick is to use the Blood Red to pull the whole surface out of that dull, magenta look the Mechrite gives and into the red range.
The yellow is a bit simpler. Same technique but with these paints: Iyanden Darksun, Sepia wash, Darksun again, then highlights with mixes of Darksun, Golden Yellow, white. I'll elaborate on this in a short tutorial later.

Pistol Pete, might just as well do one for faces while I'm at it. :) Glad you like the dagger guy, he's my current favourite too.
I might give these recipes a try, thanks for sharing! :::cheers:::

And looking forward to seeing your tutorials!  :icon_cool:

Marius, I always paint over a basecoat. What you see is Fanatic Army Painter's grey undercoat spray. It's about as light as Codex Grey but a little colder - I love it as you can paint both light and dark tones over it without any problems. Painted a Bloodbowl elf some weeks ago and used the grey as base for the white robes. Works a treat.
In the old days :icon_lol:, I used grey as a primer.  I've been using white for my infantry, black for my knights (because they have so much armor needing metalic paints) and 40K orks.  I'm wondering if the grey would work with armor?

At some point I'm going to return to giving grey a try.  Maybe when I paint some Talabeclanders. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra