home

Author Topic: Random rule combinations to share  (Read 3226 times)

Offline Hoffa

• Members
Re: Random rule combinations to share
« Reply #50 on: March 02, 2024, 05:56:27 PM »
Where is the rule that make the bonus from multiple wizards staff stack. I could not find it?
My dice has again betrayed me

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
« Reply #51 on: March 04, 2024, 02:05:46 AM »
Where is the rule that make the bonus from multiple wizards staff stack. I could not find it?

Page 337 of the BBB 'Extremely Common Magic Items' basically tells you that you can have as many *-items as you can carry, the limit is simply points you can spend on them.

Now, while there isn't a specific rule that says that multiple Wizards Staffs' stack, there is the generic rule of special rules stacking.
I was hesitant about this being an actual thing at first, but then I read the rule for the Wizard's Familiar right above the Wizards Staff in the Empire magic items section: It is an extremely common magic item(*) that grants +1 to dispel - but it's also 0-1 per Wizard, meaning that if the +1 modifier to dispell didn't stack, there woudn't be any point to having a 0-1 limitation on it, a limitation that the Wizard's Staff lacks.

Honestly, if someone wants to spend 100 points on 5 Wizard Staffs' in a game against me to get +5 to cast on Assailments and Magic Missiles I'd allow it, even if the intent is a bit unclear.
Why? Because the mental image of how that wizard looks on the battlefield with all those staffs is hilarious + I'd absolutely laugh my ass off when you roll spells for your Wizard and don't get any Assailment or Magic Missiles. Maybe you should've gotten that Lore Familar instead huh?

(Yes, I know some lores have Assailments and/or Magic Missiles as Signature spells, don't ruin the moment...)

Offline Daymz

• Members
« Reply #52 on: March 04, 2024, 09:27:52 AM »

Page 337 of the BBB 'Extremely Common Magic Items' basically tells you that you can have as many *-items as you can carry, the limit is simply points you can spend on them.

While here, the wording "as many as you can carry" is misleading, because taking 5 staves is pretty intense!  :biggriin:
Yet it makes me want to convert a wizard into a five-armed, five-staved pentagon of sorcery. It would make it hard to hide the mark of Tzeentch from the Witch Hunter next door, though.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #53 on: March 04, 2024, 10:01:54 AM »
Maybe wizards staffs are stackable like lego.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Edwin von Dufflecoat

• Members
« Reply #54 on: March 04, 2024, 10:19:31 AM »
Only charmed shield and the wizards staff seem to be stackable. I have msgd gw to see if the intent was things like sword of striking should be stackable too, tho RAW it defo isnt.

But the staffs defo works, nothing in the magic rules makes you pick which one of several items you use. Unlike with magic weapons where the melee rules say you have to pick one at the start and stick with it....

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
« Reply #55 on: March 04, 2024, 10:39:18 AM »

The Wizard superglued 5 staffs together to form a 10 meter long stick. Every 2 meters confer +1 to cast.

Offline xnet445

• Members
« Reply #56 on: March 04, 2024, 03:48:45 PM »

The Wizard superglued 5 staffs together to form a 10 meter long stick. Every 2 meters confer +1 to cast.

I was picturing a golf bag full of staves being wheeled around by the Wizard.
Quote from: sawgunner101
(these rumors are) like getting a free candy bar, but only if you let somebody kick you in the nuts first.
[/quote

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #57 on: March 04, 2024, 05:00:08 PM »

Early depiction of a Wizard with wand fasces  ("wundle").
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #58 on: March 06, 2024, 02:20:43 PM »
I figured it was just a much thicker staff.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #59 on: March 06, 2024, 03:52:54 PM »
I figured it was just a much thicker staff.

I figured it'd be more like a Trident/5dent. Or a wooden branch with a bunch of twigs sticking out.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #60 on: March 06, 2024, 09:42:42 PM »
So i guess we could swap a 30 point talisman of protection for 5 charmed shields for our characters to get five 5+ ward saves and save 5 points.
Sigh, is this really the meta we're heading into?
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #61 on: March 06, 2024, 11:03:25 PM »
So i guess we could swap a 30 point talisman of protection for 5 charmed shields for our characters to get five 5+ ward saves and save 5 points.

I have actually been thinking about that for some scenarios... but yeah, I think GW will FAQ that a character can only take 1 shield or staff, but many characters can take them.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #62 on: March 07, 2024, 12:02:19 AM »

Don't they all trigger redundantly on the first wound?
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #63 on: March 07, 2024, 12:07:00 AM »

I would argue yes but then that is just because I don't like this sort of nonsense.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #64 on: March 07, 2024, 12:59:38 AM »

What is 'first wound'?
And by that, I mean what if the model was shot by a helblaster, and gets hit and wounded 5 times.
Thats 5 wounds, that are all the first wounds of the game. Say you had 5 Charmed Shields, then could you save all 5 on a 5+ WS.

Compare that, to being hit and wounded 3 times, you can roll the saves. On a subsequent round of shooting, you cannot save, because the first wounds have already occurred.

Alternatively, is it the idea of first successful wound?
In the second example, say those 3 wounds were successfully saved. Then you could retain 2 extra shields for the second round of shooting, and potentially save 2 more. However if the first round, those 2/3 of those wounds were saved, and 1 wound got through, then you were successfully wounded and cannot make additional saves in the subsequent round.

All hypothetical of course. Does that make sense?

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #65 on: March 07, 2024, 01:13:33 AM »

You can only use 1 shield at a time.
No beer was wasted.
The end is Neigh!

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #66 on: March 07, 2024, 02:33:28 PM »

You can only use 1 shield at a time.

While you can only use one at a time they all trigger on the first wound so you can't use one on the second wound because it is not the first wound.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #67 on: March 07, 2024, 05:27:53 PM »
Maybe if the normal 5+ ward saves weren't costed for 6 wound monsters, then the 3 wound characters could take a regular 5+ ward save at 15-20pts.
RAW are obviously ambiguous. For the sake of balance I'll allow it.
Heck, it's only a 5+ save, ...for Empire characters the 5pts is probably OVERcosted, lol.

For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #68 on: March 07, 2024, 09:36:38 PM »
While you can only use one at a time they all trigger on the first wound so you can't use one on the second wound because it is not the first wound.

It's very silly to argue they all trigger at once:
- You can't carry more than one at once.
- You can't save a wound that has already been saved.
- You can't have multiple ward saves active at once.
It simply makes no sense to suggest they all go off at once.

Instead, when one shield's magic has been depleted the model simply pulls a new shield from his pocket and continues on. Simple!
No beer was wasted.
The end is Neigh!

Online commandant

• Members
« Reply #69 on: March 07, 2024, 10:53:11 PM »

Instead, when one shield's magic has been depleted the model simply pulls a new shield from his pocket and continues on. Simple!

I'm not arguing that they all trigger at once.   I'm arguing that after the first one the rest can't trigger, because they trigger on the first wound and after the first one has been triggered the next wound would be the the second wound and as such can't trigger the shield and third wound and so on so forth.

So if you have two you end up with one that triggers on the first wound and a second one that triggers on the first wound with no possibility to have a first wound anymore because you have already had a first wound and you can only have a first wound once.

I do agree that my phrasing could have been better.

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #70 on: March 26, 2024, 02:48:31 PM »
Another one from Reddit that's bound to get Errata'd:

p.202 in the Rulebook says special rules that apply to characters also apply to the mounts on the split profile unless stated otherwise.

Witch Hunters have Killing Blow (which doesn't state otherwise re: split profiles) and can ride Griffons...

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #71 on: March 26, 2024, 03:45:36 PM »

I'm not arguing that they all trigger at once.   I'm arguing that after the first one the rest can't trigger, because they trigger on the first wound

Commandant, have you read the offiical rulebook or some sort of unofficial version? Do you have some sort of draft advance/preview version? Are you using the PDFs?  Are you using a non-english rule book? It often feels like you're reading a totally different rule book, I'm wondering if something is being lost in translation here.

Here is what the Charmed Shield says.

The Charmed Shield is a shield. In addition, once per game, the Charmed Shield gives its wearer a 5+ Ward save against a single wound. Once this Ward save has been used, the Charmed Shield is considered to be an ordinary, non magical shield

The charmed shield doesn't use the word 'first' at all? There is no indication that the shield automatically goes off against the first wound. It just says 'once per game'. The bearer can choose when to use the shield. Maybe you don't want to use it on the first wound for whatever reason.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 03:48:18 PM by Skyros »

Offline Edwin von Dufflecoat

• Members
« Reply #72 on: March 26, 2024, 04:29:39 PM »
Has anyone tried putting a wolf priest with a helblaster?

And if with a great cannon would the two lots of multiple wounds stack?
« Last Edit: March 26, 2024, 04:51:34 PM by Edwin von Dufflecoat »

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #73 on: March 26, 2024, 08:11:14 PM »
Has anyone tried putting a wolf priest with a helblaster?

And if with a great cannon would the two lots of multiple wounds stack?
characters cannot join war machines.

Offline sedobren

• Members
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2024, 07:43:49 AM »
Another one from Reddit that's bound to get Errata'd:

p.202 in the Rulebook says special rules that apply to characters also apply to the mounts on the split profile unless stated otherwise.

Witch Hunters have Killing Blow (which doesn't state otherwise re: split profiles) and can ride Griffons...

Witch hunters cannot ride griffons, the best they can do is the pegasus