home

Author Topic: Army creation: What are you doing now?  (Read 2027 times)

Offline Alexis

• Members
Army creation: What are you doing now?
« on: October 20, 2015, 10:52:18 AM »
A friend and I have devised a relatively decent and structured way to pick our armies. It isn't ground breaking, it's being done the world over I am sure, in other ways, but I thought I'd share it and see what folk think.

(1)We generally break the game size down into Small, Medium or Large.

(2) For Small:

50 Wounds cap.
No Warscroll can be picked more than once.

1 Character Warscroll (the only compulsory)
0-1 Artillery
0-1 Ranged unit (to dissuade campers. This is a very alterable rule if you think it's unfair, e.g Wood Elf, but it does attempt curtail 40 hand gunners sitting on a hill.)
Unit Size - Whatever you want, as long as it meets the minimum and doesn't cause your army to exceed the maximum of 50 wounds.

To go to Medium or Large scale, simply double / triple the restrictions, respectively. This also applies to the no warscroll can be picked more than once. So, in a large game, for example, you may have 3 Warscrolls of knights.
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Army creation: What are you doing now?
« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2015, 12:24:13 PM »
I would even go with no duplicate warscrolls for Hero's no matter the size of the game
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2015, 02:03:40 PM »
I'm just picking what I like, changing a few things each time, swapping stuff in or out, going for something that if you saw it laid out on a table in WFB formation you would think was around 1500 points.  without actually bothering to add it up.     I'll then put a few more bonus characters/monsters/machines in my case, so that if my opponent comes along with anything really nasty, I can try and balance it, by getting more out of the case than I intended to field.   Conversely, if my opponent doesn't bring much, then I won't field much either.

I pretty much refuse to use any kind of system which limits my choice.  I don't want to see all the same stuff being fielded all the time, the new system has given me the chance to field the stuff that you never would,  or a theme list that you couldn't really do before.

Or you can take a load of powerful units, but come up with a battleplan that means the game objectives mean the game is still playable

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2015, 02:49:01 PM »
After my campaign battle (Sigmar's Blood) my brother in law would use his undead host in the first battle plan from Mighty empires "Hold or Die"
I matched up with my Stormhost just trying to grasp a rough balance. Came up with:
Mortis Engine, 5 Hexwraith, Banshee and Cairnwraith
vs
Lord-Celestant, Lord-Relictor, 5 Liberators, 3 Prosecutors

Despite the battleplan dividing the undead it was pretty balanced, it tipped the scale for me when I managed to kill the Mortis Engine before the Reliquary was used.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Tommy2dice

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2015, 12:57:04 AM »

I Agree with not having limitations to what you can field. true it is open to abuse but then again wasn't it always?. Generally speaking if you take any of the formations from the back of any armies PDF's you can have a balanced game as long as you don't be a butthole about it. counting wounds is probably a second best option before the other comps. Though i am thinking of making a Tourney pack that allows you to take 12 warscrolls with what  ever you like but cost you some "battle points" that would be deducted from your scoring along with an opponent awarding/deducting battle points for self balance.     

Offline Sharkbelly

• Members
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2015, 03:33:02 AM »
One quick and dirty method I saw online--from a group in Belfast, I believe--uses 50 points and up to three keywords (monster, hero, wizard, war machine).

I've been working on a few lists based on this. Looks good so far.