home

Author Topic: Orcyboy's hobby blog  (Read 32045 times)

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
Re: Orcyboy's hobby blog
« Reply #100 on: November 01, 2019, 12:35:09 PM »
Hahah your costume reminds me of the Gummi Bear Ogres  :icon_mrgreen:.

The goblin village is fabulous, FABULOUS you hear me?

Man these old civilian sculpts ooze character. And there's something more to them. Something that was lost and never returned to the Citadel miniatures: the backdrop for all the military conflict that Warhammer games concentrate on. I've always felt that the Old world was severely underdeveloped in that regard, when it comes to the fluff. At least when it comes to the 7th - 8th ed publications that I remember better.

Anyways, wonderful work on the paintjobs and scenery  :eusa_clap:.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #101 on: November 24, 2019, 07:24:27 AM »
Hahah your costume reminds me of the Gummi Bear Ogres  :icon_mrgreen:.

I recall at the time several fellow trick-or-treaties assumed I was an Ogre from Gummi Bears, and I was cool with that, the Ogres were the best part of the show.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
Re: Orcyboy's hobby blog (The Killing Fields Terrain)
« Reply #102 on: November 24, 2019, 08:11:23 AM »
I've had this new Killings Fields Terrain mat for over a month now. https://www.killingfieldsterrain.com/

Finally had the time today to pull it out of its box and offer some initial thoughts.

I had a couple major concerns when I bought it a few of which proved correct.

My first concern was where and how to store it. It appears thick and spongy in the advert pics and this seems to be mostly true. Its not quite as thick as I had feared but its about a 1/4" thick at the moment.  However it was packed folded up and vacuum sealed in a bag and as it airs out over night it may swell up, we'll see in the morning.  But regardless if I roll it up its going take up a good amount of space, I'm just not sure where I'll be able to squirrel it away when not in use.

My second biggest fear or maybe it should be my first biggest fear is that it will be a cat magnet. Upon opening it and getting a feel for it, I now have no doubt this thing will be a cat magnet! I may have just purchased 7x5 foot litter box.  Not sure how to describe it but the rough texture combined with the soft earthy feel, I'm sure the cats will take turns clawing, chewing and pissing on it. Especially depraved indoor cats like mine.

Because it was packed folded up it has some terrible creases and wrinkles in it. I've packed books on the worst of it.  Since the photos were taken I pulled it tight at the corners and added heavier weights at the four corners to try and keep it a little stretched.  It has a stretchy property to it that I kind of like and might make it easier to slide books or whatever under to make natural looking hills.

One slight downside is single miniatures have a little difficulty standing up on it and appear to float above ground a little. Its even worse for small based plastic miniatures. However its not as terrible as I thought it could have been and I think its more of a problem for 20mm based miniatures then 25mm and up.

Also for use with large unit type games movement trays will be a must or you'll have to pick up miniatures individually to move them, you cant just push them around the table. Movement trays also help alleviate the floating somewhat.

Hopefully it will air out and flatten out over night and I'll try and take more pics tomorrow. 

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #103 on: November 24, 2019, 08:43:59 AM »
I saw some of these mats at Fall-In! 2019, yet wasn't impressed.  I like Cigar Box mats.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2019, 08:23:30 AM »
After letting it sit over night most of the folds and wrinkles worked themselves out. However to really use this terrain mat you really need to pull it tight across the board and keep it tight to reduce the spongy-ness. I haven't quite figured out how best to do that.

Its really not a good option if you play a lot of games or want to whip out a quick game with a friend.  It does look beautiful and if you're more into dramatic affects and enjoy very casual slow paced games then I think its fine.

I spent yesterday afternoon taking pictures of most of the stuff I've painted over the past couple months before rolling it up.
Like clock-work, as soon as I had it rolled up one of the cats jumped on the pool table and barfed.  So I dodged a bullet I suppose.  Cleaning up-chuck out that thing would be a fare bit of work unlike most of the neoprene based mats you'd simply wipe it off.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2019, 08:05:52 PM by orcyboy »

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #105 on: November 26, 2019, 08:47:40 AM »
I saw some of these mats at Fall-In! 2019, yet wasn't impressed.  I like Cigar Box mats.

The cigar Box mats look nice but I haven't been able to bring myself to buy one. They seem a little expensive for just a blanket. I hear they will start producing double sided ones soon if not already, maybe if they price isn't too bad I'll try one.

But for now I'm liking my FLG mats the best.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
Re: Orcyboy's hobby blog (even more goblin wolf riders)
« Reply #106 on: November 26, 2019, 08:54:22 AM »
 Even more Goblin Wolfriders!
My third unit of Goblin Wolfriders and I can say I'm thoroughly tired of painting wolves. For this interested here's links to the previous wolfrider units completed:
https://oldorcsneverdie.blogspot.com/2019/05/more-wolfriders.html
https://oldorcsneverdie.blogspot.com/2018/10/the-doom-dogs-goblin-wolf-riders.html

These guys should be the last of my Citadel and Marauder wolfriders I have kicking about and are a little bit of a hodgepodge. Mostly just basic goblins with hand weapons and shields and I can split 5 or 6 off into their own unit with short bows.

No name for these guys yet.

The champion got one of my new resin shields from the Shieldwall kickstarter.
Adds a fare bit of character me thinks.

Thanks for looking, more pics coming along soon.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #107 on: November 26, 2019, 12:38:08 PM »
 :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:

Those wolves are from GW? Must be the best wolves they've ever made, scale and character considered.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #108 on: November 27, 2019, 07:40:09 AM »
Old Metal wolves I believe.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #109 on: November 27, 2019, 07:50:48 AM »
Yes. Old citadel and marauder wolves.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #110 on: November 27, 2019, 07:55:41 AM »
Back to the common goblins.

This is my primary regiment of standard everyday Goblins that I've run with for years.  For years they've only numbered at 30 troopers.  I finally got around to re-organizing them. Pulled a few out to join other upcoming units and padded up the unit to a head count of 42 Gobbos.

42 looks and feels much better than 30. 
Here's the original: https://oldorcsneverdie.blogspot.com/2012/10/whats-blog-without-picture-to-get-it.html

Sadly my photography skills have diminished somewhat since 2012

« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 09:22:27 AM by orcyboy »

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2019, 08:19:35 AM »
Armored Goblin Mercenaries
An advanced sense of self preservation, short attention span, a bit treacherous, dimwhitted...   just a few reasons Goblins make terrible soldiers.

But occasionally after surviving a few battles through luck and uncharacteristic courage (mostly luck though) a few Goblins find themselves with the skills and prestige necessary to make a living as professional soldiers to a degree.

Occasionally these "fearless" Goblins band together under the leadership of some famed Goblin hero and ply their trade as mercenaries.

Here we have Mad Mic'Alexon and the Black Iron brigade. Have peasants that need subduing, they can help. Halflings that need extorting, they can help. Luggage needs guarded, they can help. Yeah, don't expect too much from these guys, they are still Goblins after all.

The Black Iron brigade are arrayed in pieced together heavy armor with large extravagant helmets being particularly prized and they are drilled in the use of the halberd in imitation of the soldiers of the realms of men.

Most of these guys are from Knightmaregames line of Greenskin Wars goblins.  A few are from other sources such as Four A Miniatures, Rafm and Citadel. A few are sad plastic Gobbos I greenstuffed some extra armor onto to push the head count of the unit up to 30.

Thanks for looking, more coming soon.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2019, 02:11:09 PM »
Excellent photo quality! And models! And paintjob. And fluff. And everything!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2019, 12:47:44 AM by Warlord »
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2019, 03:40:36 PM »
 :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2019, 12:46:27 AM »
I just noticed the last picture, model in the right at the front - the conversions on it. Very nice. Wish I had kept some of those old plastic gobbos now.

I also like the Standard Bearer and champion with big sword. Such a cool job on this unit.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #115 on: November 29, 2019, 09:35:26 AM »
Thanks Warlord. I really need to take some more pictures of these guys. There are some really cool models in the Knightmare games line (mostly all modern Kevin Adams designs).

There's four of those old plastic goblins mixed in their with a little conversion work on them.

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #116 on: December 05, 2019, 08:21:31 AM »
Absolutely amazing goblins! I always wanted to do an elite goblin unit, the Knightmare models are indeed perfect for this.

I like the mat too, makes a very pleasing background for pics.
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #117 on: December 05, 2019, 11:59:51 AM »

orcyboy, could you tell us about the mat? I've been pondering about it too, it looks extremely nice.  :-)

-Z

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2019, 06:44:25 AM »

orcyboy, could you tell us about the mat? I've been pondering about it too, it looks extremely nice.  :-)

-Z

It's a very nice mat and big 7'x4' if I recall. It looks beautiful and makes for some great picture taking.  The down side is it takes a while to setup and needs to be stretched into place. You'll also need movement trays to push the units around soft static grass surface.  The FLG mats are better for heavy gaming.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2019, 06:54:22 AM »
Goblin heroes, rogues and adventurers
A mixed bag of Goblin hero sorts that I finished off a couple months ago.  Mostly Knightmare Games but a few other manufacturers as well.

The fantastic fellow in the middle is from 4A Miniatures and one of my favorites. His no-nonsense expression commands respect.

A couple more Knightmare Games goblins. Excellent examples of Kev 'Goblinmaster' Adams excellent work. If Frazetta ever painted heroic goblins I'd imagine they'd look exactly like the fella with the axe, I'm sure he stole that helmet from Thulsa Doom himself.

I call him the stag hunter. This is a formerly Heart Breaker (Tim Prow) goblin now reproduced in resin by Impact! miniatures.  A good sharp miniature and another one of my favorites with his outrageous antlers and giant sword. Definitely not the sort of gobbo to mess with.

An exceptionally well armored goblin with his pet squigly beast. Painted in bronze as he reminds me of some old Homeric aged warrior.

Another quirky gobbo and his squig hound picked up with the Shield Wall kickstarter. Despite being resin he's quite a nice miniature.

A Harlequin/Black Tree Design goblin shaman and another Knightmare Games goblin. I wasn't impressed with the shaman until after I painted him. He turned out quite nice and is now one of my favorite goblin shaman models. This picture doesn't quite bring out much of his details.
As for the samurai gobbo, I have a handful of eastern and samurai styled goblins but this one is easily my favorite. Not sure if thats supposed to be his natural face or if he's wearing a menpo, so either he's wearing face armor or he's painted his face to look like he's wearing face armor.

A nice champion with a commanding pose and a wonderfully gobliny shield. The usual excellent work of Kev Adams for Knightmare Games.

And last a goblin hero to help lead my considerable and ever expanding wolf rider legions.

Thanks again for looking!

http://www.fouraminiatures.com/
http://knightmareminiatures.com/category/green-skin-wars
https://www.impactminiatures.com/index.php?option=heartbreaker
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/wolfbaneart/shieldwall-fine-shields-for-your-minatures

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2019, 08:27:25 AM »
Really fun gobbos, and very nicely painted too!  :-)

-Z

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2019, 11:50:03 AM »
Some classics in there! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2019, 04:26:07 PM »
Love this work
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #123 on: December 19, 2019, 08:56:18 PM »
Every time I look at this blog, I fall in love with the gobbo’s all over again
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #124 on: December 19, 2019, 11:24:24 PM »
So much character in those models. The stag hunter is a good reminder of how great and wacky at the same time goblins can be.