home

Author Topic: Basing advice for my new army  (Read 2103 times)

Offline Fafnir

• Members
Basing advice for my new army
« on: March 16, 2006, 09:25:08 PM »
I finished my first Free Company Fighter for my new Ostermark army today. Took even longer than I anticipated, because I repainted a great deal. I really hate Militia legs, I still think this chap's legs look off both in sculpting and my painting, but I decided to leave it be before screwed it up further.

Anyway, I have yet to decide on how to do my bases and I would appreciate some advice. The entire army won't be made up of Free Company of course, but with the miniatures I have picked out the browns of this miniature will be echoed in the rest of the army, with the purple and blue (yes, blue, not yellow...) being more dominant on State regiments but still toned down from my last Averland army, so the general feel will be the same.

Now, it I could only learn how to take pictures that doesn't make all armour look like a silver blob... :?

EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline Duellist

• Members
  • Bring back the location feature!
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2006, 10:24:01 PM »
I think a little more background would be useful here, Fafnir. Is this army a town based army, that may have cobbled streets and bases, or is this army very wild, with plenty of foliage and grit? What season is it? Do you want water/marsh bases? Just some more general info would be good, so we can give you better advice.

From what I've gathered though, if it's from Ostermark then some bases with a mixture of both normal and long static grass, perhaps with some rocks sticking through the long grass would look good for that wilder sort of style.

Very nice model though. I think you chose the right colours for you army, they look very nice with the browns. The quality of painting is excellent as well! Top marks for skill, especially since this is only a 5 point free company man.

Duellist
Duel until death does part you from this life!

Offline Fafnir

• Members
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 07:52:00 AM »
Thank's Duellist. The army is a generic Ostermark army, brought together from the towns and villages to fight the undead/chaos/orcs&goblins/bandit invaders, most probably in open ground like a clearing in the woods or in the hills. As for season, summer fits with the greatest number of gaming tables so I'm leaning towards that.

However, the advise I was looking for was what kind of base would look best, visually, with this colour scheme.
EDIT: see Africa for more examples ...

Offline Ulrics_drunken_cousin

• Members
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 08:08:11 AM »
I think a grey-e brown mub scheme with some static grass would looke nice with the browns :wink:
"I shall beat you with the might of the Empire!"

"...empire and might should never be in the same sentence"

Offline CM Dante

• Members
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2006, 10:56:13 AM »
Firstly, nice job on the painting. It's a good standard to set yourself for a nice looking army. However, watch out for those mould lines. Theres one on his right arm and on his hands (they can be a nightmare to remove but its worth it in the end).

As you say you would prefer a summer style base, I would suggest going for a light, dry looking soil (bestial brown to graveyard earth with a final highlight of graveyard earth/kommando khaki?) and a decent covering of static grass given a little dry brush with some green (maybe catachan green?).

Cheers,

Dante