home

Author Topic: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Love is in the Air  (Read 55169 times)

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Plaza WiP Part 2
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2016, 04:08:03 PM »
Vimes never looked better.  steveb

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Plaza WiP Part 2
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2016, 08:30:14 AM »
how do you make cobblestones from bird-seed? :icon_question:
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Plaza WiP Part 3
« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2016, 04:03:10 PM »
how do you make cobblestones from bird-seed?

I did experiment on a few bases sticking birdseed on them which worked, it was just like putting a large gravel on. Add the figures on to the top otherwise it looks like they are wading through a ball pit at a nursery. The seed on the edges benefit from extra glue and a coat or two of PVA and varnish to protect them from damage. Sorry but no pictures. 

It was not so successful to use this method with these trays. Before purchasing the MDF trays and bases I did ask the manufacturer for advice on their use as I had heard they were prone to warpage. I received no assistance from them towards the use of their products so if they believe any problems discussed in the following, and any future, review could have been avoided why didn’t they let me know in advance.

Quick review of MDF movement trays and bases made by War-bases.co.uk.

I am using their Alternative Kings of War range of multi-hole (I'm using 3-24) movement trays with 25mm and 40mm bases to fit. The movement trays are made up of two layers of 2mm MDF, one with holes for the bases, glued together. Much is made of the use of a laser to give precision cuts etc.

1)   The holes etc. may be precision cut with a laser but the sticking together of the two parts is by a ham-fisted dwarf – out of 11 trays; 4 were not correctly aligned -  2 to the extent that it was so noticeable that I had to trim edges and fill others to make them acceptable for use.
2)   The glue used to join the two halves together is not as strong as it should be – two trays were coming apart before I started work on them.
3)   MDF warps – even on the occasions where I’ve been able to use a weight to compress them after sticking something on their surface – with the weak glue (2) as well as warping they then also start to come apart ............(to be continued???)

On top of these initial problems with the trays themselves it has not been as easy as I’d hoped to cover the surface with the bird seed. I lined the outside edge of a movement tray with tin foil and each hole with a double stacked base wrapped in tin foil to keep the seed within the tray surface. Initially I stuck the seed onto a layer of PVA and placed a few heavy books on top while it dried overnight. Next day after removing the tinfoil and bases everything looked fine but seed on the edges was easily damaged or knocked off so I ran superglue round all the edges and left to dry. In the evening the trays were still flat and edges seemed secure. In the morning not only were the trays warped but the two halves were starting to delaminate.

I’m still working on the plaza but haven’t finished it yet and have started to experiment using some embossed wallpaper which is not quite the effect I wanted but so far no warping issues.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2022, 12:31:32 PM by JAK »

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2016, 08:26:27 PM »
wow looks good.
Sorry to hear about your problems with the mdf. I always thought those MDF-movement trays are still to expensive so I've begun experimenting making my own from hardboard. I have'nt tested large surfaces yet but i think it might be less sensiive t warping.

Is the bird seed on the plastic bases just glued with pva?
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2016, 12:44:07 PM »
I believe the total cost of trays and bases was less than half of what it would have been for plastic bases alone – plus I didn’t have to make my own trays or drill out the holes. Where I’ve remembered to stick a weight on there has been less warpage.

On the figures above the seed was initially glued on with PVA but like I’ve done with the MDF superglue will have been used round the edges.

Cobbled Road Bases and Movement Tray

While struggling with the bird seed I found some embossed wallpaper with a pattern that look as if it would be suitable for a cobble or block road surface.

Photo 1 - the movement tray – I’ve numbered the holes and the bases so that the pattern matches – although I doubt with amount of trimming done that it will, or if in the wrong hole that it will be that noticeable.

Photo 2 (missing or forgot to take) – bases are coated in PVA glue and placed in tray.

Photo 3 – piece of wallpaper placed over the tray and pressed onto the bases – put heavy book on top to hold down while glue dries.

Photo 4 – when dry wallpaper with bases glued to it removed.

Photo 5 – cut carefully around each of the bases with a sharp knife. Coat surface of the movement tray with glue and place on wallpaper matching up its holes with those for the bases. Place heavy book on while glue dries.

Photo 6 - Trim edges of wallpaper back to those of the movement tray and bases – I do this twice; the first when the PVA is dry after which I run super glue around all the edges and then when dry cut or file to match the edge. 

Just need to finish the rest then I can start painting.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 06:55:05 PM by JAK »

Offline JAK

• Members
Road sections and plaza finished except for painting – just have to decide whether or not to remove the birdseed cobbles and replace with the white broken ground effect.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 06:56:59 PM by JAK »

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
I am tempted to say keep the birdseed ones ......... as they are inventive and look good, but also ........... you might become peckish in the middle of a game.  :biggriin:

Sorry - couldn't resist.
I have used the same wallpaper idea for the 30x30cm modular boards I use for Mordheim or Frostgrave - very easy and cheap.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline steveb

• Members
keep  steveb

Offline JAK

• Members
Progress is slow but has been made. I’ve dropped the birdseed cobblestones for the time being but will give them another try when I move on to the next stage in a few years’ time. Basic paint job finished – now need to plan where 70 figures go once they’re built and painted

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 06:56:09 PM by JAK »

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Nice! I think the symmetry of texture created by dropping the bird seed section is a good thing.

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
I just noticed the dwarf miner on that knights base, its really fun  :::cheers:::
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline JAK

• Members
I just noticed the dwarf miner on that knights base

But did you also notice the full theme for the bases?

I know it’s not clear in such small pictures – the tools, the red lantern (green light on unseen side), STOP sign, angry underground worker with extinguished candles, yellow liquid draining into hole…….

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
I had to go back and look, thats really clever. You dont seem to have anything that is normal, it all goes the extra mile with some small detail.  :::cheers:::
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline JAK

• Members
Plaza bases finished – just need to build/repaint figures to populate it.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 06:57:49 PM by JAK »

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Plaza finished
« Reply #39 on: May 22, 2016, 02:26:37 PM »
The amount of work and your attention to subtle details is amazing, as always!

Offline JAK

• Members
Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - Road finished
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2016, 10:38:13 AM »
The Road will be the front part of the City Watch movement trays / display base.

The main characters will be on the smaller trays at the front and the bulk of the army (human and dwarf size) will fit on the larger ones. Most figure positions should then be interchangeable if required.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 06:58:13 PM by JAK »

Offline JAK

• Members
At last the initial work on the display bases/movement trays has been completed. The two areas of rough ground are not how I thought they would turn out but they are good enough to start with.

What I now have are 81 individual bases each ready to accept a completed figure.  I know of 76 named characters with close association with the Watch, so that only leaves five spares, and I’m sure I’ll think of something for them, if I haven’t missed anyone from the books, before I finish.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 06:59:00 PM by JAK »

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
76 named characters? Wow! This is going to be fun to watch!  :eusa_clap:

I assume you already have some idea which models are going on the larger bases? Will these all be "big" models, or will some just have room for extra bits and  bobs?

Offline JAK

• Members
The first finished figure – a simple rebase as I’d already repainted him earlier in the thread. On the base is one of his many discarded Disorganisers – although it could be the Mark five "Gooseberry" with the handy to use Bluenose TM Integrated Messenger Service as he appears to have placed it on the ground so the little green imp can take a message to the nearest Clacks tower.

76 named characters?

I assume you already have some idea which models are going on the larger bases? Will these all be "big" models, or will some just have room for extra bits and bobs?

Now 77 - 76 figures to go – just realised I’ve not planned to do Lady Sybil and she has to be there, even if it’s just to wave them off, after all it is Ramkin money that’s financing this venture.

The bigger bases will have the odd troll and I do hope to add a few bits and bobs, as above, where I can.

When finished, I’d also like to add an overall scattering of something like the leaves used in the old Rensburg thread to tie everything together and fill any over blank spaces. One idea would be to scatter a load of Visit’s pamphlets, or other printed paper as at least two others have connections with such items.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 06:59:31 PM by JAK »

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
I’d also like to add an overall scattering of something like the leaves used in the old Rensburg thread to tie everything together and fill any over blank spaces. One idea would be to scatter a load of Visit’s pamphlets, or other printed paper as at least two others have connections with such items.

The base does look rather bare with only the little demon and his book besides the figure.  Love this thread  :::cheers:::
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline JAK

• Members
Having made the effort to start the Pleasant Surprise 2017 I’ve made a slow restart to this project – it was either that or waste the green-stuff. As my stock of paints may be depleted until end of Feb I hope to be able to spend some time making more of the figures. 

The first to be done is Visit. The top picture shows the two original versions I had of him, the second was the planning ideas for the new version after some ‘friend’ trod on and damaged this one (we never found the missing foot) and the bottom one is the near finished new model.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2022, 07:00:24 PM by JAK »

Steve63

Re: The Ankh-Morpork City Watch (Army) - His Grace the Duke of Ankh-Morpork
« Reply #46 on: December 23, 2016, 05:43:13 PM »
Fantastic work, the bases are superb.
I'll be following your progress with interest
 :::cheers:::

Offline JAK

• Members
Just realised looking at the pictures of Visit he needs a pair of steel toe-capped boots for when people try to slam the door on him.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
Let me see if i remember this correctly
Constable Anuga; a woman [most of the time]
Captain Carrot [technically a dwarf]
Nobby Nobs [disqualified from the human race]

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
This is going to be cool! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra