home

Author Topic: What is your favorite thing about Australia ...  (Read 23044 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: What is your favorite thing about Australia ...
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2019, 05:24:13 PM »

Sweet suffering Jesus and seven hands round!!!!

Australia - no offense but that’s a hard no.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #151 on: November 25, 2019, 08:32:15 PM »
That is about double the size that it is allowed to be.
Looks more like a crab than a spider.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #152 on: November 25, 2019, 09:18:43 PM »
What do you mean by allowed? Are you supposed to kill them if they get too big? Why no just leave it be?

I would love one of these living in my backyard. The most exciting I get are little Orb Weavers.  :icon_cry:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #153 on: November 25, 2019, 10:39:24 PM »
What do you mean by allowed? Are you supposed to kill them if they get too big? Why no just leave it be?

I would love one of these living in my backyard. The most exciting I get are little Orb Weavers.  :icon_cry:

I have no medical qualifications but I do believe you are insane! 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #154 on: November 26, 2019, 01:17:47 PM »

As in a bird should have eaten it by then. Its so bulgy and weird looking.
They are fine outside. They are pretty aggressive though. If you go close to them, they will jump at you. Its when they come inside that its a problem. Living in your wardrobe, scurring behind furniture, hiding behind the toilet cistern...

Or like what happened to me about two years ago - one got in the floorboards and laid eggs... how did we find this out? Well one day I get home and notice black specks all over the bed and my pillow case. They were hatching, and coming out of the floorboards behind the bed. As such, i spent the next 4 hours killing about 150 -200 baby spiders, one or two at a time every minute... until the delays between one and the next were too large.

Huntsmen are not poisionous, just aggressive, big and fast.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #155 on: November 26, 2019, 02:16:16 PM »
Quote Warlord: Living in your wardrobe, scurring behind furniture, hiding behind the toilet cistern...

........................☠️..............👀.............🔪.............🕷...........💀.........👻
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #156 on: November 26, 2019, 02:28:01 PM »
I have no medical qualifications but I do believe you are insane! 😸

I love animals. I have had all sorts of domestic and exotic pets in the past, from a Civet to a Monkey.

Since I know no one is going to know what a Civet is:

Craziest animal I have ever owned. Kind of like a Raccoon to be honest. Only a lot crazier, which is saying something.

I have two dogs today, along with a python I have had over 20 years, and a parrot and a fish tank filled up with fish no one wanted anymore so they give them to me (one is a $.10 feeder fish that I have had for 2 years - actually make that 3). Recently had a Praying Mantis I raised from an egg and had a whole terrarium of random insects to go with it.

I actually got rid of the set up after the Mantis died (they only last about a year) but are seriously considering doing it again. It was kind of a pain in the ass though, but on the other hand really cool and generally low maintenance.

Turtles, Salamanders, random birds, dogs, cat, hamsters when I was a kid, oh and a possum once too. Two squirrels. All sorts of animals over the years.

I also leave food out for a raccoon who lives in my backyard. Its more of a bribe to keep her out of my bird feeder, which she will tear apart if I don't leave food out. She's brought her kits by before too, but they never get as close which is fine.

Literally took this inches from her bowl. The yellow eyes behind her is her kit. She would have just walked into the house to eat if my dog would have let her.

Rescued a baby squirrel once. Here is Perseus in his favorite spot: between my ex-gf's D cups.

I get possums and armadillos in my backyard too. Here is one of my dogs and a male armadillo checking each other out. There was a female with him, and they were building a burrow in the bushes.

A bat was coming into my screen enclosure every morning to sleep during the day (I keep the screen door open for the dogs to go in and out, as well as the raccoon, so every now and then something else gets in. But this bat kept flying in the foot or so gap between the door and the post. Every. Morning. Eventually it stopped coming around. Here he is on one of my patio couch pillows.

My two dogs are rescues, one who was scheduled to be euthanized. Both had some issues that had to be worked out, but are now amazing dogs. The one who was to be euthanized might be the greatest dog of all time. I had another I rescued before the second one I got, who was going to be euthanized as well because it had so many health issues they felt no one would take him. This is how he looked:

I never saw him move in three days that I visited. I knew it was going to cost a lot, and I was hesitant, but said what the hell. He was only about 7 years old but went through a couple of lifetimes of neglect. Had terrible arthritis, enlarged heart, enlarged prostate, I initially thought was blind in one eye, but it turned out the be dry eye, kennel cough, matted fur, and obviously a broken heart and looked like he was giving up. He was found as a stray, but didn't have heartworm, so I am guessing someone owned him and didn't care about him. I am leaving some issues out here but I can't remember them all. Oh, he also had a big bulge on his back hip which looked like cancer.

My vet said some of the things could be maintained, but he bulge was the biggest concern, and if it was cancer, all the other things were kind of irrelevant. I was just hoping to give him a few good years of a happy life. So we set out a plan to work our way down the list of issues. After grooming him:

So about three weeks in I started noticing small changes that didn't look good, and he was scheduled for a surgeon to check out the bulge, but I wasn't even sure he was well enough do go under. I then took him to emergency care to discover that he had kidney failure and there really wasn't anything that could be done. I had no idea, it wasn't even on the list of things that was wrong with him. It was pretty heart breaking. They suggested keeping him there under observation the next 12 hours but there probably wouldnt be anything that could be done, and I could tell Cooper just wanted to go home, and that is what we did. He looked at me the whole time the vets were explaining everything to me, like he sort of understood.

A couple of days later I had to put him down. I had him for 26 days. I spent some $2500 from the time I got him to the time I had him cremated. But he changed me forever though. I will never 'buy' a dog, or get a cute puppy. I will always adopt a rescue no one else wants or needs help.

The second dog I have, was at the pound for 3 months because no one wanted him as he was aggressive and destructive. I adopted him, and it wasn't easy, but he's turned out to be an amazing dog himself. 180 degrees from when I got him. Its amazing what some good food and love will do to a dog.

So anyway, we tend to look down at animals as inferior or lacking emotions but I am constantly amazed at the intelligence I see and even the emotions from them. One night I was laying on the couch with my dogs snuggled up, and my parrot crawled down his cage, walked across the floor, and climbed up the couch to lay with us (his wings are clipped). I was in disbelief. So I think they is a lot more to them than we give them credit for. Most of them are considered a nuisance but they are just trying to hack it out in the world like the rest of us.

Even that spider.

Until recently had the mother of all wasp nests over one of my garage doors. Believe it or not, if you go slow enough and show that you don't mean harm, you can actually lightly pet a wasp sitting on its nest and it will just sit there and take it. I swear I did this in front of my neighbors to prove it, who which they stood there speechless lol. The nest eventually got so big it fell from its own weight.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2019, 05:14:17 PM by KTG17 »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #157 on: November 26, 2019, 09:55:17 PM »
Quote KTG17: So anyway, we tend to look down at animals as inferior or lacking emotions but I am constantly amazed at the intelligence I see and even the emotions from them. One night I was laying on the couch with my dogs snuggled up, and my parrot crawled down his cage, walked across the floor, and climbed up the couch to lay with us (his wings are clipped). I was in disbelief. So I think they is a lot more to them than we give them credit for. Most of them are considered a nuisance but they are just trying to hack it out in the world like the rest of us.

Yep👆
Awesome KTG17. Simply fantastic.

That spider is still a no-go 😸
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2019, 01:25:41 PM »
Certainly not the current bushfire / smoke haze crisis.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #159 on: January 06, 2020, 12:34:52 AM »
Well, that's one way to raise money for a cause:

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2020, 04:17:54 AM »
Just a heads up for anyone wanting to visit. We've got the worst bushfires in living memory. My town looks like Industrial age London at the moment the smoke is so thick. Its preventing a lot of public transport from working.
As terrible as the fires have been; they have brought out the best in people.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2020, 06:09:55 AM »
Some days in December Sydney felt like living on Mars. Orange sky, hard to breathe. Still very smokey at the moment.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2020, 01:02:32 PM »
I hope something can be done to lessen such situations.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #163 on: January 06, 2020, 01:17:11 PM »
how did we find this out? Well one day I get home and notice black specks all over the bed and my pillow case. They were hatching, and coming out of the floorboards behind the bed.

Fucking christ. Nightmare fuel.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #164 on: January 06, 2020, 01:27:00 PM »
how did we find this out? Well one day I get home and notice black specks all over the bed and my pillow case. They were hatching, and coming out of the floorboards behind the bed.

Fucking christ. Nightmare fuel.

It was hard to go to sleep that night. Sheets in the wash. Bug spray everywhere. Sticky tape in all possible gaps around the skirting and floorboards. It was an experience.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #165 on: January 08, 2020, 07:30:24 PM »

OzzyMan on the bushfire:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2Szk3m9w-4

Damn. Thats fucking rough. Hope you guys are doing better. I heard it rained recently. It wont put out all the fires but I heard it should help.  :icon_sad:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #166 on: January 09, 2020, 01:15:37 PM »
Barely some rain. Not as hot as it could be though.
Been like this for 2 months now.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #167 on: January 22, 2020, 02:47:55 PM »
I know its a stereotype to say that Australia is dangerous but man, fire, then hail, then flooding and now spiders?!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/australia/australia-funnel-web-spider-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Australia has already dealt with extreme fires, flooding and hail this year. Now experts are warning people to watch out for deadly funnel-web spiders due to "perfect conditions" for the arachnid to thrive.

Native to the moist forest regions of eastern Australia, several funnel-web species are known for their highly toxic and fast-acting venom. On Wednesday, the Australian Reptile Park -- based in Somersby, in New South Wales state -- said spider activity had increased in recent days.
"Because of the recent rain and now the hot days we are now experiencing, funnel-web spiders will start to move around," park spokesman Daniel Rumsey said in a video posted on Facebook.
"Funnel-web spiders are potentially one of the most dangerous spiders on the planet, in terms of a bite towards humans, and we have to treat it very seriously."
― Jake the Dog

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #168 on: January 22, 2020, 05:54:35 PM »
I know its a stereotype to say that Australia is dangerous but man, fire, then hail, then flooding and now spiders?!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/22/australia/australia-funnel-web-spider-intl-hnk-scli/index.html

Australia has already dealt with extreme fires, flooding and hail this year. Now experts are warning people to watch out for deadly funnel-web spiders due to "perfect conditions" for the arachnid to thrive.

Native to the moist forest regions of eastern Australia, several funnel-web species are known for their highly toxic and fast-acting venom. On Wednesday, the Australian Reptile Park -- based in Somersby, in New South Wales state -- said spider activity had increased in recent days.
"Because of the recent rain and now the hot days we are now experiencing, funnel-web spiders will start to move around," park spokesman Daniel Rumsey said in a video posted on Facebook.
"Funnel-web spiders are potentially one of the most dangerous spiders on the planet, in terms of a bite towards humans, and we have to treat it very seriously."

And the fire's ain't over yet, with more dry and hot periods coming
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #170 on: January 17, 2021, 11:59:56 AM »
Murray river.
One of our key rivers for farming and agriculture in the the south east of the country.
Industry and corporations are often (rightfully) accused of taking too much water and causing the flow to dry up downstream during drought.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #171 on: July 05, 2021, 08:45:58 PM »
Here's a cool one ... Australian McSweyn wins Bisselt Mile going away while breaking the Australian record for a time of 3:48.37 for the best time this year in the world by 6 and a half seconds at that distance, almost top 20 ever ... and another Australian, Edwards, ran 3rd with a not too shabby time of 3:49.27, while Lewandowski of Poland places second with 3:49.11 ... no one in the field had broken 3:50 ... a amazing race ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNeD0LdMOmc

The 1500m at the Olympics could be a great one with so many folks coming in with super performances so far.