home

Author Topic: What is your favorite thing about Australia ...  (Read 22710 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: What is your favorite thing about Australia ...
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2017, 11:08:33 PM »
One could argue its because they 'clim'b trees.

I love that we are generally so laid back. There is nowhere near as much tension in the people as the US or Europe. Life overall is pretty good. No worries is exactly it. We are so far away from everyone we dont have any real enemies, we are developed so can buy whatever we like, we are young enough that there isnt a huge amount of negative history. Our industrial relations and laws are for the most part fair and just, applied evenly and it doesnt matter your nationality or wealth. Overall, life is good.

If it weren't for the spiders and all the other critters I would emigrate in a minute. I love the idea when an Aussie goes on holiday it's usually a long time! Their 'walk abouts' usually mean around the world. I travelled around Switzerland with a guy from Melbourne. I had been gone for about a month. He was on his 18th month! Great times in Zermatt were had.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2017, 11:55:44 PM »
Spiders arent so bad. Over the past 2 months i think i have killed about 6 huntsmen the size of my hand. They are fast and look scary, but huntsmen are fairly harmless. If they stay outside i dont care. They can catch mosquitos and flies and moths. When they come inside is when there is a problem.

Had 1 fall on me when i walked under a skylight on the way to the bathroom just before bed. I think he mis-estimated my size in the dark.

About 3 weeks ago i got home from basketball at 10:30 and right above the front door was one. Fortunately i saw him before i got there, and warily approached. I knew he would jump at me when i got close, and he did. He missed me and i went to step on him. He was fast and went up the wall. I tried to hit him up the wall, and he jumped at me again. He missed again, but was too fast and got away. The following week, i think the same one tried a different tactic. When i left for basketball he snuck inside when i opened the door to leave. My wife said she saw, sent me an sms to deal with when i got back (she couldn't find him). When i got back at about 11:30, my wife had gone to bed, but she left some spray near the door. He was on the roof a few metres from the door inside, ready to jump at me again. I grabbed the spray, put a bunch on him and waited for him to get weak and fall off. I unstrapped my basketball shoe, and got it off as he fell. Smashed him on the ground. Done. Defeated.

Perhaps this post belongs in the hunting thread?

Killed 3 more in the living room, and a sneaky one in the shower.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2017, 12:02:01 AM »
Spiders arent so bad. Over the past 2 months i think i have killed about 6 huntsmen the size of my hand. They are fast and look scary, but huntsmen are fairly harmless. If they stay outside i dont care. They can catch mosquitos and flies and moths. When they come inside is when there is a problem.

Had 1 fall on me when i walked under a skylight on the way to the bathroom just before bed. I think he mis-estimated my size in the dark.

About 3 weeks ago i got home from basketball at 10:30 and right above the front door was one. Fortunately i saw him before i got there, and warily approached. I knew he would jump at me when i got close, and he did. He missed me and i went to step on him. He was fast and went up the wall. I tried to hit him up the wall, and he jumped at me again. He missed again, but was too fast and got away. The following week, i think the same one tried a different tactic. When i left for basketball he snuck inside when i opened the door to leave. My wife said she saw, sent me an sms to deal with when i got back (she couldn't find him). When i got back at about 11:30, my wife had gone to bed, but she left some spray near the door. He was on the roof a few metres from the door inside, ready to jump at me again. I grabbed the spray, put a bunch on him and waited for him to get weak and fall off. I unstrapped my basketball shoe, and got it off as he fell. Smashed him on the ground. Done. Defeated.

Perhaps this post belongs in the hunting thread?

Killed 3 more in the living room, and a sneaky one in the shower.

Godamn! Godamn!! That story has me freaked!! I would die of sleep deprivation waiting for them to come out. Just another reason to admire you guys!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2017, 12:18:40 AM »
Yeah, makes it sound worse than it is. We lived in our apartment for 3 years and never had a spider the entire time. Its an old terrace house with nocks and cranies.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2017, 12:30:58 AM »
Huntsmen are feeble and harmless. I capture them and toss them outside. They sure look nasty though.

Up my way you have to watch out for the Funnel Webs. They're legitimately frightening but the rest aren't up to much. I had a big funnel web scuttle along my back porch the other day.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2017, 12:32:09 AM »
What is a Funnel Web?

And those huntsmen spiders don't sound like fun.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2017, 12:38:12 AM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_funnel-web_spider

The big problem with them is the aggression. Thankfully they seem pretty rare and I've only ever seen one in my life.

All said and done the wildlife here isn't a big deal and the stories are highly exaggerated.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2017, 12:52:55 AM »
Hey! My story isnt exaggerated at all.
But yeah, huntsmen are harmless like i (and sig) said. Just big and look scary.

I used to live down in the shire as a child, and was exposed to the odd red back spider. Those are dangerous. It has been years now though since i have seen one of them. I dont think i have ever seen a funnel web.

Spiders are the worst thing you will deal with in the major cities of Australia. Snakes, crocs, kangaroos, wombats, koalas, etc are rural things. Crocs really only in the northern half of australia, which is generally pretty hot and a lot less populated. Sydney and Melbourne are fairly civilised climates.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2017, 01:22:36 AM »
Red spiders, funnel spiders , huntsmen, neck breaking roo's, man crunching croc's.
No Worries! 😺
Putting immigration papers back in my safe box....   
all kidding aside you guys are great! And so is your country. Really would like to visit sometime.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #34 on: February 14, 2017, 02:05:46 AM »
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sydney_funnel-web_spider

The big problem with them is the aggression. Thankfully they seem pretty rare and I've only ever seen one in my life.

All said and done the wildlife here isn't a big deal and the stories are highly exaggerated.

I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 02:06:43 AM »
Ha!ha!👆☠☠

Edit: I can't stop laughing!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 02:08:59 AM by Artobans Ghost »
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 05:03:25 AM »
The cars.  :mrgreen:

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 08:38:19 AM »
Just the general attitude of the people.

One peculiar way of assessing this for me and my wife is our love for the television show Masterchef. We watch versions from several countries.

The original English one we don't watch anymore as we believe other versions have made the format better.

The New Zealand one is let down by, in our opinion, boring judges.

Just watched the first episode of Masterchef Asia yesterday, looks to be an interesting one! (of course helped by the fact we love Asian food)

We don't like the USA one very much. The judges are ok (always fun to look Gordon Ramsey go) but the contestants, man! Every season the majority seems to be made up of these huge ego's, completely convinced of their own superiority and their opponents' inferiority. They'll do anything to stick it to their fellow contestants and can't bring themselves to admire the good result from another contestant. Interestingly enough it seems like it's always one of the more laid back persons that seems to win in the end, never the blowmouths. The quieter ones either break under the pressure (like any contestant really) or they end up in the finals. Being able to excel seems to require being able to keep your ego in check, but it's a skill lacking in most of those US contestants.

Canada is ok, people are more relaxed though you can see that ego tripping influence in a few contestants.

And then there's Masterchef Australia. Our favorite by far! The judges are great, knowledgeable, willing to share their knowledge and only criticise to point out flaws and points of improvement, never to put someone down.
But the contestants really make the show, every season it's like a whole group of friends walk in. Sure they'll do their utmost to win, but never at the expense of another. They all seem to have intuitively grasped that the one real opponent in the competition is themself. And so, like a bunch of cooking friends having a great time they'll work hard to win, really hard. But they'll equally applaud the other contestants their achievements. Clapping, going over to congratulate, or even asking for a bite and complementing them.
And when someone is down they try to help that person feel better instead of seeing an opportunity for advancement.
Just like a bunch of friends, each and every season, and we've watched every season from the first one up, including the spin-offs.

We came to just one conclusion, Australians are generally great people!
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2017, 09:24:51 AM »
Koalas have climidia.

Undoubtedly a fault of a tourist most likely?

:icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 10:54:31 AM »
I had no idea there were other masterchefs other than Aus. Sounds like the others are horrible. But yeah, thats fairly accurate. We are competitive at sports, and general good sports too (other than current generation australian tennis). And that flows onto whatever competition it is. We love food in Australia, so that love is what is reflected in the contestants, rather than a love of oneself (like it sounds like the US one is).

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #40 on: February 14, 2017, 11:00:59 AM »
Our cricketers have a bit of a bad rep for poor sportsmanship at the moment. But generally yeah, it's pretty good.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2017, 11:12:36 AM »
I'm enjoying this thread! :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Von Trinkenessen

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2017, 12:41:07 PM »
My grandfather's stories of living in the Mallee in the 1920's and 30's.
GENTLEMAN OF WAR

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2017, 12:42:35 PM »
Wombats.
Hey, I could still beat up a woman!
If I wanted to.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2017, 12:45:16 PM »
Rifus, our weather is also quite pleasant most of the time that wearing shorts and no shoes during winter isn't unusual.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #45 on: February 14, 2017, 12:52:04 PM »
Rufus, our weather is also quite pleasant most of the time that wearing shorts and no shoes during winter isn't unusual.

I'd definitely like that!
If I wanted to.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #46 on: February 14, 2017, 01:06:12 PM »
I know. In Melbourne you might get cold. In Queensland its almost mandatory!
My cousin lives in Tassie and goes surfing off Bruny Island all year round. So it is doable to put up with the cold and no shoes if you are stubborn enough.

Offline rufus sparkfire

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #47 on: February 14, 2017, 01:16:05 PM »
I should probably move to Australia! I've had to wear shoes and long trousers since November, because it's too cold here.
If I wanted to.

Offline Karl Voss of Averland

• Members
  • Captain of Loningbruck
« Reply #48 on: February 14, 2017, 01:18:06 PM »
Australians also have those cool bush hats with one side folded up.

And cool light horse mounted troops.
I sexually violated the cat.  When we have children I will push harder for this time honored and enjoyable tradition

Remembering what Rufas started and endures in us all

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #49 on: February 14, 2017, 01:23:21 PM »
Australians also have those cool bush hats with one side folded up.

And cool light horse mounted troops.

Those hats are the light horse hats. Regular bushmen wear regular hats.