home

Author Topic: Of possible naval modeling use?  (Read 1460 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Of possible naval modeling use?
« on: February 11, 2012, 03:08:59 AM »
I saw this at Target today:

http://www.amazon.com/RoseArt-Create-Color-Wooden-Pirate/dp/B006R1FB6O

Except it was half the price. I think only about $12 or so. It looked like it would take a little bit of work, but could be converted into something usable. The box said that its "over a foot tall" which should make it about that long as well.

Thought maybe some brave soul might be interested in trying some sort of project with it.

Offline Timbor

• Members
Re: Of possible naval modeling use?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2012, 03:27:00 AM »
Looks kinda neat, though I don't think it would have much detail on the ship itself?  Cant seem to find any closeup pics of it.

I would be interested in giving it a try, but amazon.ca does not seem to carry it.  Think you might want to head back to target and get a better picture of the box, and possibly ship one to me? 
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2012, 05:53:10 AM »
No, I assume not a lot of detail. It's just a cheap wood it. And it comes with felt-tip markers to color it. But it looks like it may be enough to use as a basic framework and then add more detail.

Think you might want to head back to target and get a better picture of the box

Funny you should mention that, as I took a pic while I was there...

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a195/ZeroTwentythree/mburg/IMAG0064.jpg

Based on that photo, what I would do, if I were inclined to try using this, would be to replace the masts with wooden dowels, and wrap the bow with thin card to give it a solid shape. Then start adding some assorted bits to give it a bit of Warhammer flavor.* Maybe use a wagon wheel as the basis for the steering wheel.

This all depends on whether the scale works out well, of course.

It looks like the price may have been $12.99.

* The easy way out would be to cover it with SKULLZ™, but I think some of the creative modelers around here could make use of some shields & shield bosses, bits from some of the terrain kits, etc.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2012, 06:00:52 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2012, 12:00:07 PM »
It looks to be a pretty simple sort of box construction - you could likely use it as inspiration to create a template out of foamcore. By the time you have replaced the masts and put planking on it so it looks like a "real" ship, you'd have pretty much reworked the whole model.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2012, 08:44:24 PM »
The US chain Micheals was selling the same kit packaged by a company called Creatology for $6 a year or so ago.  I think suggested retail then was around $38.  Creatology had several ship types including a cog and a pirate ship.  They sold the pictured ship as a Military Sailing Ship.  The ship is long and narrow.  Around 3"x11" of deck space.   3" is too little room for warmachines or crew, but it takes little effort to make an interesting wreck or other terrain objective out of the kit.   
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 01:46:50 AM »
It's basically a kit using thin wooden slats laid side by side and held together by another slat crosswise.

Same type of construction as this:

Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 03:18:57 PM »
Looks to be about the same scale as GW horses.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.