home

Author Topic: 2010 is 8th edition... how did we get that number?  (Read 19577 times)

Offline WallyTWest

• Members
  • 'Lux Mundi'
2010 is 8th edition... how did we get that number?
« on: May 29, 2009, 12:49:33 AM »
The 8th edition rulebook is for summer 2010.

I dont get it, how did we get that number? What is that based off?
It’s all about Renaissance Punk.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
Re: 2010 is 8th edition... how did we get that number?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 03:30:25 AM »
Guesswork and reasoning. Though I imagine  people may have picked something up on warseer
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline phillyt

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Watching... always watching...
    • https://www.facebook.com/philip.estabrook.1
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 11:18:47 AM »
It has been rumored on Warseer.  It still seems very early to me, but then they may be going to the 40k update schedule where they do not wait for all of the books before moving to new editions.  The change will be small to account for this.

Phil
Where did she touch you Eight? Show us on the doll.

Offline vulkus

• Members
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 12:57:15 PM »
To me it just seems silly that GW still, after all these years, can't seem to find a system that works and just let it be. Play testing every possible situation and getting things right should be their focus. Instead, they put out a new edition of their games every four or so years and never release all the books or codeci in the process. The Empire has had what four or five books? That is why they have to increase their prices too. I've always been told that if it's not broke then don't fix it. Focus on releasing new models instead of new editions of these games is what I say.

I love playing their games, don't get me wrong.  I just get tired of having to buy the same stuff over and over again because of a wild hair up someone's ass that day to change a rule because they lost a game and want to have the beardiest or cheesiest army out to win a game. Ok, rant over.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 02:15:40 PM »
Ignoring the business sense of releasing new editions, I am still very glad that they do.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Acadian

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 04:57:49 PM »
I am glad, they update army's once in a while,
but they need to update ALL army's with all the armybooks
before going to another edition.

Changing miniatures, does not need changing of edition.

There are still some loop holes in the system.
Why not create some clarification about the RoR or the dogs of war.
Are they getting rid of them, or are they going to have an army book?

They need to solve the current questions and problems,
otherwise there is always something wrong...
Changing editions every time is not the solution...

Offline fauthsie

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 02:52:44 AM »
The 8th edition rulebook is for summer 2010.

I dont get it, how did we get that number? What is that based off?

This came from a quote from someone saying that GW was going to run 4 year cycle for each edition. Since 7th edition came out in 2006, 2010 would be when it would happen... I think40k is already running on this cycle...

Also there have been rumours/hints of certain units appearing in the new starter box... a shot of a remodeled plastic O&G boar has been seen and that is new model would be in the box.
A new Campaigning home....

http://animositycampaigns.com/joomla

FAUTHSIE CAMPAIGN CONSULTING INC.... I MAKE YOUR CAMPAIGN GO!!!

Offline scarletsquig

• Members
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2009, 09:41:32 AM »
Really wish they'd run on a longer schedule.. one that actually gives them time to release all the army books, take a breather to add some supplements and extra goodies like terrain, and give it time to settle while they work on the new edition.

6-7 years would be a much more sensible pace.

There are 16 fantasy armies, each of them really need 2 release waves (a month each) to get a respectable amount of new models.

That's 2 years and 8 months of releases, just for fantasy. 40k and LotR need an equal amount of time too, they can't fit it in to 4 years. Especially considering how Empire is now on it's 3rd release wave for 7th edition... there were other armies that could have used new plastics a lot more than us, in the same way that there are a lot of 40k armies that should be getting some plastic instead of the new space marine releases next month.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 09:45:22 AM by scarletsquig »

Offline Matthew JB

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2009, 11:11:07 PM »
Face it Men ,GW is only going to do that which makes them the most money.They don't give a flying horses' ass what anybody thinks.

My 2 cents

After thinking about what  I said  I think  should say sorry for being so negative but I've been playing WHFB about 30 yrs and wargames in general for 40 yrs.
Having been around this long Ive seen many gaming systems come and go.WHFB is fun to play and is a pretty good system but very unbalanced in the armies area.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2009, 01:08:48 PM by Matthew JB »

Offline Wolfsgaum

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2009, 08:15:24 PM »
Instead, they put out a new edition of their games every four or so years and never release all the books or codeci in the process. The Empire has had what four or five books?

Small correction. Empire has had a total of three books so far. It never got an update for 5th edition.

Offline Pistol Pete

• Members
  • Pistolicious!
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2009, 02:42:21 AM »
It'll be interesting to see what GW does with the empire in the next wave.  Currently, empire is the one army that is almost entirely plastic. 

*All* of our troop choices are available in plastic.  Yes, the knights are mediocre.  I could see them replacing the knights, the milita, and perhaps the cannon/mortar kit due to age, but everything else is new. 

We have new plastic kits for the fighty heroes and wizards, so all we really need character-wise is some mount options (griffon, pegasus, dragon), a WP kit (perhaps with a war altar), and an engineer kit.

Most other armies are in *much* worse shape, model-wise. 

GW did such a thorough job of updating the models for the empire that there's almost nothing left to be done for the next edition (barring new units, of course!).

What GW really needs to do is tighten up the playtesting and rules development side of the game.  Once an unbalanced armybook appears, it skews the whole game until it is replaced. 

And the whole thing with releasing new army books over a multi-year period is asinine.  Just as the last armies finally get thier new armybook, there's a new edition which completely changes things.

I'd much prefer to see a core armybook that contained the basic rules for *all* armies.   Expecting the players to shell out $300 per edition, just to get all the armybooks so that you actually know the rules is ridiculous (and increases the likelyhood of piracy, IMOHO).

This approach would put all of the army rules in one handy package.  The rules would be developed all at once so that balance could be more easily achieved, and you'd only need one reference book instead of 14.

The armybooks could then be released, but instead of laying out the army rules, the army book could focus on background, strategy and tactics, and the modeling aspects of the hobby... stuff you don't strictly need to play the game, but things which enrich the game for the player of that army.

So at the beginning of the new edition, ALL of the rules would already be in place.  Nobody would have to wait 4-5 years to get a playable book for thier army, only to find that their army was once again screwed when the next edition came along a few months later.

Miniatures would be released periodically over the course of the new edition.  Over the next few years, all armies will get a more-or-less complete makeover.  New units could be added on an experimental basis during the cycle... not official for tourney play, but simply to test them out and get the rules balanced.  At the beginning of the next edition they'd be offically added to the roster.  New armies could be done the same way.

That's what I'd like to see.
Desperately seeking Chaos Warrior heads & Skull banner tops from new empire missle troops sprue.  Will trade for bitz, barter, or $$$.  PM or email me to discuss details.

Offline Captain Tineal

• Members
  • You will join me or die! Could you do any less?
« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2009, 06:07:09 PM »
I would love to see a book released for each edition that contained one or two new units for each army.  That would rake in sales for the book, as well as for new models.

It could also include fluff, and maybe some terrain articles... now that I'm typing this it sounds an awful lot like what White Dwarf used to be, doesn't it?
I don't know what a pisolires is but it sounds like a musical instrument you play with urine...

Offline OmegaOm

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 04:18:37 AM »
I do agree that GW system of releasing rules is only there because it makes them the most money per unit of time.  They will release the army with the lest sales first, hoping to get other army players to invest in it. There is absolutely no reason why they cant take 4 years to make all new models and rules and release them at the same time, except money.

I can not understand after all this time, they havnt figured out a way to make the rules fair for all armies.  If they hired a good mathematician, they could assign probabilities and statistics to all rules without any play testing. 

PS.

By the way.  I do not like having to type in verification letters for every reply I make here.  Wish they would change that.  Its the only forum I have been to that has this.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 06:26:00 AM »
Since when do we have to type in verification letters? (that means, I don't- do you?)

In any case: sure, assigning probabilities is good, but that still allows you to overlook overpowered combos. Playtesting will always be necessary.
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Dain of the Border Legion

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 10:17:36 AM »
I do agree that GW system of releasing rules is only there because it makes them the most money per unit of time.  They will release the army with the lest sales first, hoping to get other army players to invest in it. There is absolutely no reason why they cant take 4 years to make all new models and rules and release them at the same time, except money.

And of course the fact that a business plan based on having to purchase everything first for 4 years before seeing any sales upon a re-release is completely unrealistic.

I can not understand after all this time, they havnt figured out a way to make the rules fair for all armies.  If they hired a good mathematician, they could assign probabilities and statistics to all rules without any play testing.

Breaking news, they don't want the armies to all be equal. It isn't what WHFB has ever been about from a sales perspective.

PS.

By the way.  I do not like having to type in verification letters for every reply I make here.  Wish they would change that.  Its the only forum I have been to that has this.

Erm....
Playing Warhammer since 1984 doesn't make you good, it just makes you old, not as old as Midaski however :)

It's the small things in life....

Offline fauthsie

• Members
  • Animosity Team GM
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2009, 03:10:31 AM »
From a business standpoint the 4 year cycle makes perfect sense....even if they just tweek the rule of existing books and add a new unit or two plenty of people will by the book and new units/existing units that have been rebalanced and made more predominate.

what will 8th edition empire look like.... here is my 2cents

- Plastic knights (already rumored with the cavalry campaign next summer)
- new militia box. Reduced to 10 models and removing the X-bow, Great weaps and bows but adding lots of other heads, weapons and bits.
- few new metal character models (Balthasar Gelt returns with a new Pegasus model?)

The will likely add a new unit or two. My top guesses are

- War wagon (packaged as either War wagon/war alter?)
- Halflings will happen if rumors of DOW final demise are true.
A new Campaigning home....

http://animositycampaigns.com/joomla

FAUTHSIE CAMPAIGN CONSULTING INC.... I MAKE YOUR CAMPAIGN GO!!!

Offline OmegaOm

• Members
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2009, 04:03:46 PM »
I just bought a box of knights. They are plastic.
Everyone seems to like plastic better, but I like metal.
The knights are one of those boxes that are well worth $36 for 8.
Great Swords are very expensive at $47 for 10.  They must be metal, but the add says plastic.
Great Swords are the one troops I do not have a whole unit of, because of the price. I only have 6, by buying blisters, but My games store doesnt sell them in blisters.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2009, 02:41:05 AM »
Breaking news, they don't want the armies to all be equal. It isn't what WHFB has ever been about from a sales perspective.

Indeed.

And Dain! Great to see you again!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Wolfgang aus Wien

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 13, 2009, 04:19:33 PM »
GW are first and foremost in the business of making money.
In this venture, they are vastly more aggressive (and successful) than any other company within the small niche market of fantasy miniature gaming.
Releasing new army books, editions of the basic rules and miniatures - making older ones artificially 'obsolete' - is one of their many sales strategies and the -relatively speaking- 'frantic' pace of re-doing an edition on average every 4 years is designed to put (again, artificial...) pressure on the buyers to 'buy NOW!!!'
The more popular armies (such as Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Chaos) come first, the not-so-hot sellers come later or maybe not at all.
Armies are deliberatley unbalanced, forcing players to buy insanely expensive special miniatures and/or rules supplements just to 'keep up' with their friends and maybe win the odd game or two.
I've been around since 5th edition, a few buddies of mine even longer and we know this pattern all too well.......

Offline The newbie

• Members
  • Empire
« Reply #19 on: October 13, 2009, 10:06:24 PM »
I agree completely with the previous comment.

Which armies consistently do well at tournaments? VC and DoC

Which armies cost the most to collect? VC and DoC

Want a powerful unit? get ready to spend £30 upwards
Fantasy GT09 Heat 1: 30th
LoTR GT09: 47th
LoTR GT10: 14th (and a member of the winning team)

Offline Lord Tilioth

• Members
« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2009, 11:22:06 PM »
well face it there will never be just one rulebook for all the armies because to much money can be made if you have to buy 16 books for fantasy at $25 a pop versus a sixty to eighty dollar hardcover book. Also it's nice to have my army a secret so people don't know absolutely everything about my army except for other empire people.

though i wish GW was about the customers and players over making money i can't tell them to do it. because them making lots of money is part of what makes warhammer big and widespread so that more people join....maybe every 5 years though :D
"To Honor and Glory we march, but death is still inevitable" - Grand Master Lord Tilioth of The Knights of the Golden Realm
Empire Score Sheet:
Win/Draw/Lose
64/8/11
Tournaments played and won ratio - 3:3

Offline Lord Solar Plexus

• Members
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2009, 05:21:44 AM »
What's that all got to do with the original question?
Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. - S. Clemens

www.tablepott.de - Wir sind das Ruhrgebiet!
www.rheinerftliga.haarrrgh.de

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2010, 03:07:36 PM »
Hi!
I'm new here and kinda old skool as well as a bit  noobie in this. I had my Warhammer period in the mid/end 90's, collecting an Empire army and playing a few games with friends and painting a bit.
Recently I got my box of goodies out of the basement again and had a painting session with some friends (though they didn't paint Warhammer in this case). Brought back good memories  :D

I'm trying to comprehend what edition I was at and where we are now. It’s probably not as easy as I hope it to be  :P
I read the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Fantasy_Battle/ page and see we're at the 7th edition. Does that only concern the rules book, or does that mean there are also 7 different army books for each army? How can I see what edition my books and my figures are from? Only thing I can see is a year, my army book is from 1992 (so that’s 4th edition I guess?). I got both the box set from the 4th and 5th edition. Does every edition come with new figures, or is that more randomly?
Hope you guys can help me on the road again! :)

Offline Wolfsgaum

• Members
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2010, 03:50:36 PM »
Hi!
I'm new here and kinda old skool as well as a bit  noobie in this. I had my Warhammer period in the mid/end 90's, collecting an Empire army and playing a few games with friends and painting a bit.
Recently I got my box of goodies out of the basement again and had a painting session with some friends (though they didn't paint Warhammer in this case). Brought back good memories  :D

I'm trying to comprehend what edition I was at and where we are now. It’s probably not as easy as I hope it to be  :P
I read the http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warhammer_Fantasy_Battle/ page and see we're at the 7th edition. Does that only concern the rules book, or does that mean there are also 7 different army books for each army? How can I see what edition my books and my figures are from? Only thing I can see is a year, my army book is from 1992 (so that’s 4th edition I guess?). I got both the box set from the 4th and 5th edition. Does every edition come with new figures, or is that more randomly?
Hope you guys can help me on the road again! :)

You most definitely have the 4th edition Empire army book. Empire didn't get a new book for 5th. New miniatures is a bit random. Empire didn't get very many new minis until 6th edition. During 5th edtion they got a new mortar, the plastic state troop boxes and a metal general (as far as I recall). 

Offline Shadow_Zero

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2010, 04:10:04 PM »
Is there a good source where I can read about all the Empire army books? So when people talk about the Empire 7th army book, that's related to the Warhammer/rulebook edition and not particular an actual 7th army book? :)

Oh yeah, I think I recall the blister cardboard changed from yellow to red from 4th to 5th edition (and a £1 increase in price ;) ).
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 04:13:13 PM by Shadow_Zero »