home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 667796 times)

Offline Moxer

• Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #225 on: June 15, 2010, 07:33:37 AM »
Thanks Midaski, that clears things up.
Warlord games states on ther website: "The Morion packs have temporarily been taken off sale while we remake the mould.
They should be available to order again by the 21st June 2010."

Your bulk order has worn out their mould! :ph34r:
Just another imperial minotaur.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #226 on: June 15, 2010, 10:50:55 AM »
Thanks Midaski, that clears things up.
Warlord games states on ther website: "The Morion packs have temporarily been taken off sale while we remake the mould.
They should be available to order again by the 21st June 2010."

Your bulk order has worn out their mould! :ph34r:

Oh that's interesting. I was a bit disappointed with all the flash and the quality of some of them, but I clipped and filed away.
Maybe I should complain now .............

:engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Marek

• Members
  • Pig Tickler
« Reply #227 on: June 16, 2010, 05:14:13 PM »
Hello knowledgable sages,

I have decided to purchase a WAB (AoA) Early Saxon Army, and was wondering if anyone has any figs from either:

http://www.musketeer-miniatures.com/ or http://www.grippingbeast.com/webpage.php?PageID=1.

Can anyone recommend one range/manufacturer over the other? Would the ranges mix? and am I missing even better early Saxon alternatives? Quality not price is my main consideration, but having never purchased figs from either company any feedback would be apprieciated.

Thanks.
Cheer up, could be worse.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #228 on: June 16, 2010, 05:55:15 PM »
Wargames Factory is about to release two sets of Saxon warriors on foot, armored and unarmored.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #229 on: June 16, 2010, 07:26:12 PM »

I think the WF Saxons will be more suitable for later Saxons. There are minor differences between those and the earlier Saxons. So it depends on how particular you are about it. The AoA Early Saxon list is characterized by more mobile, bucker-wielding invaders, as opposed to the later, more static shield-wall type infantry.

Offline Marek

• Members
  • Pig Tickler
« Reply #230 on: June 16, 2010, 08:53:00 PM »
At the moment I'm planning on early period, so bucklers, however I might check out the Shieldwall supplement first, as if I have the option to go for shields and end up with an army usable for two periods, that might change my mind.

Thanks for the heads up on WF  - tbh their website gives me brain-ache so I had never fully checkeed out their range.
Cheer up, could be worse.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #231 on: June 17, 2010, 01:30:23 AM »
Just keep in mind ... WF hasn't released their two boxes of Saxons yet, but they've already been to tooling, were advertised in a recent issue of Wargames Illustrated, and it is expected they'll be released soon.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #232 on: June 17, 2010, 12:37:46 PM »
At the moment I'm planning on early period, so bucklers, however I might check out the Shieldwall supplement first, as if I have the option to go for shields and end up with an army usable for two periods, that might change my mind.

I had considered that plan as well.  :-D

Offline Moxer

• Members
« Reply #233 on: July 06, 2010, 05:53:16 PM »
Special offer by warlord games, i copied this from theris website:

In the Warlord office we’re all feeling a little bit down after England’s* World Cup performance. At time like this we find ourselves building more toy soldiers to cheer ourselves up. And we were doing just that when we realised that the entire country was probably feeling down and could do with a smile.

To help perk you up we’re not only giving you FREE SHIPPING on all orders placed during July but also launching our superb Plastic Fantastic! special offer.  Who needs footy when you can have free plastic miniatures…

PLastic Fantastic! is a simple but effective offer – you buy 3 Warlord Games plastic boxed sets and you can then choose a fourth absolutely FREE!

Choose your  three plastic boxed sets from the drop down menus here and then select a fourth box that will be sent to you gratis. That will help fill up all the time you had allocated to watching football. Just be careful not to cry in the paint…

Note: Sadly the Starter Army Boxed sets (Roman Starter Army and Pike & Shotte Battalia) are not available as your free plastic boxed set. Also this offer only applies to Warlord Plastic Boxed Sets and not to Perry Miniatures, Gripping Beast, Victrix, etc. No amount of pleading will change this, please don’t humiliate yourself by begging, it’s most unbecoming and not the way Warlord customers behave. You are better than that…

*  International customers may wish to substitute England for United States/ France/ Ghana / Korea Republic / Mexico / Slovakia / Chile / Japan / Portugal / South Africa / Greece / Nigeria / Slovenia / Algeria / Australia / Denmark / Cameroon / Serbia / New Zealand / Italy / South Korea / Cote d’Ivoire / Switzerland / Honduras (delete as appropriate)

Now, you can get 160 Pikemen/handgunners for 54 pounds. I am sure some miniholics will find an excuse to buy these. I just need an excuse my wife is content with...any ideas?
Just another imperial minotaur.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #234 on: July 06, 2010, 07:22:39 PM »
I subscribe to their newsletter, so I have seen this ............

Just hope it continues for another few days - my credit card billing date is the 12th, and it's my birthday on the 13th so any order that day will not need paying off until early September

:engel:

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #235 on: July 07, 2010, 01:08:46 AM »
I'm resisting.  Too much on my work table at the moment anyway.

Funny advertisement though and thanks for sharing! :icon_cool:

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #236 on: July 07, 2010, 11:17:09 AM »
Apparently it runs for the whole of July  :engel:

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #237 on: July 13, 2010, 03:37:03 PM »
There's a rules books deal on Warhammer Historical

http://warhammer-historical.com/acatalog/Warhammer_Ancient_Battles.html

Buy one get next at half price, and it works cheap book at £13.00 as the main one, and a £20.00 one at half price  :icon_exclaim:

Warlord have a WAB 2 specials deal on as well:
http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=6604

{and the actual book works out cheaper if you get it from them as you save £2 plus the £3.00 shipping}

The Wargames Factory Saxons are on their way to Northstar - have been shipped, so expected early next week.

I've had the day off and been broswing the UK sites for Wargames Factory stuff. The $19.99 boxes seem to vary from £13.49 to £15.50 but nobody seems to have a full stock.
I was trying to find a Chariot box, Roman Cavalry and a Celt/Germanic Cavalry box, and nobody had all three sets.
Is that an indication of their popularity?
Is it possible they suffer from us British supporting Warlord Games more?

Warlord's cavalry and chariots are metal, whereas the WF ones are plastic, so seemingly better value and more flexible.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #238 on: July 14, 2010, 03:45:33 AM »

I bought some of Warlord's Celts. But the thing that's turned me off a lot of their subsequent sets is the fact that they've mixed metal with the same re-used plastic bits. If their Germans were all plastic, I would have bought some.

In fact, I'm not crazy about a lot of their metals in general. Part of that might be the paint jobs on the web page, though. But I can't be sure as I haven't got any of the metals. At least the plastics are cheap, too.

I was just poking about their page and noticed this, though:

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=6601

Looks promising!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #239 on: July 14, 2010, 08:32:25 AM »
I bought some of their ECW metal villagers and pikemen.
They are ok.

I too am not convinced about the idea of metal extras to convert the plastic warriors from Celts to Germans or Dacians - though of course GW Ed.5 Soldier boxes came with metal command bits and hangunner or xbow arms.  :closed-eyes:

The metal Chariots and Cavalry is also expensive compared to Wargames Factory plastic versions, and their rider sprues are different for the Celts and Germans.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #240 on: July 14, 2010, 01:17:54 PM »
I didn't like the old GW plastic state troops with metal command bits either. IIRC, they did the same thing with Skaven and maybe some others.

Plastic to plastic and metal to metal are fine with me. But metal to plastic is a hassle. Especially when the metal bits are all on the upper half of the figure, making them top heavy.

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #241 on: July 18, 2010, 11:27:09 AM »
Amen,

my 5th edition standard bearers still fall over to this day!
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #242 on: July 18, 2010, 11:30:34 AM »
Have you tried gluing something weighty (a coin will often suffice) into the underside of the base? Or is it THAT bad?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #243 on: July 18, 2010, 03:39:55 PM »
I like the look of these:

http://www.warlordgames.co.uk/?p=6776

12 multipose hard plastic cavalry - at I guess probably around £15.00  :biggriin:

Offline shavixmir

• Members
  • Tum podem extulit horridulum
« Reply #244 on: July 18, 2010, 03:43:09 PM »
Did someone suggest, in this thread, that I don't have to place maurauders on those large bases they're supplied with?
I'm going to be using a unit of celtic warriors as a unit of maurauders and I need to buy bases. Can I buy the small ones or do I have to use the larger ones?
Everything of value is vulnerable

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #245 on: July 18, 2010, 03:55:21 PM »
If your opponent is a dick, he will moan about you using the smaller ones. You could fight a clever legal battle though: the GW rule is that models generally have to be mounted on the bases they come with, but if you don't use GW models... *wink, wink* *nudge, nudge*

On the other hand: what would you rather be doing, arguing rules or playing the game? So I suggest using 25 mm.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #246 on: July 18, 2010, 04:37:47 PM »
Did someone suggest, in this thread, that I don't have to place maurauders on those large bases they're supplied with?
I'm going to be using a unit of celtic warriors as a unit of maurauders and I need to buy bases. Can I buy the small ones or do I have to use the larger ones?

The question is what are they being used for?

If it's a Chaos army they should be on 25mm square I think.

If it's for your Brets or you wish to use them in another rules set as something else 20mm will be ok.

Offline 132nd

• Members
« Reply #247 on: July 18, 2010, 04:40:33 PM »
  Hey guys.  Just out of curiosity does anyone know any good US retailers or online stores where I could get decent looking (preferrably cheap and plastic) peasants or other stand ins for state troops.  I was going to use wargames factory celts, but I don't think they would fit to nicely into an Empire army. 

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #248 on: July 19, 2010, 02:38:36 PM »

The two options I can think of are to either go earlier or later in time.

So one early option would be Saxons or other "dark-age" type stuff.  Right now that would mean Wargames Factory or maybe Gripping Beast. The unarmoured guys might look a little more convincing, as I think mail armour would seem a bit out of place in the Empire. (But that's just my opinion -- other people may like that sort of thing.) You'll be limited to just infantry in this case, as the cavalry will really look out of place in the Empire.

Closer in time would be the Perry Miniatures Wars of the Roses figures. Right now they have a set with archers and billmen. Unfortunately (for Empire players), it's very heavy on the archers. Suitable for WotR, but not so great for state troop selections. You may be able to convert some of them with other weapons/arms.

The later option would be for the English Civil War figures, which would mean Warlord Games. You'd be somewhat limited to pike and handgunners, though you could probably convert some other troops. I think they've got cavalry as well.

In the case of cavalry, most other manufacturers' cavalry will look tiny compared to GW. So you may just wish to stick with GW or some alternate fantasy brand (metal.)

In terms of where to buy some of this in the US, I'd check The Warstore. I've had great service from them in the past, and they carry quite a bit. They've got everything mentioned above except Gripping Beast:

http://www.thewarstore.com/

Offline 132nd

• Members
« Reply #249 on: July 19, 2010, 02:51:28 PM »
  Have a pint on me for all your advice 023.    :::cheers:::  I've looked at the war store in the past, but since I had no idea what to buy I didn't go for it.  But, now based on your advice I can probably make a good decision.