home

Author Topic: Curious question  (Read 2229 times)

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
Curious question
« on: June 22, 2019, 08:14:17 AM »
Why does everyone love the book chase so much? Our group went back to 6th and loving it. No new books,  no gw breathing down our necks to buy new miniatures,  we just buy at our pace.  Admittedly it's not a slow pace, but no fear of obsolescence.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Curious question
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2019, 12:02:15 PM »
Partially because it was the culture GW set that only the current version was allowed to be played.
Partially because someone would want to play their chosen army’s new cool model / unit / rules.

A mix of similar reasons.
I am glad the pressure has gone too. Not that I still get a chance to game anyway.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2019, 12:31:53 PM »
I think it was one of the problems of Warhammer Fantasy in the past that it took them way too long to release new army books and possibly new miniatures together with it, once a new edition started. Ofcourse people would eventually lose interest in certain armies and would not buy miniatures for them, if they had an army book that was completely outdated and units that were outclassed and underpowered because of it.

AoS takes a different approach here, but a bad one as well in my opinion. It really feels like they only keep releasing miniatures for the same few armies. Does anyone think we have seen the end of Stormcast releases for the next 2 years? Or even this year? I don't. Meanwhile plenty of factions are waiting for updates.

One of the things that puts me off regarding AoS is the pace at which they release new books. It seems too fast and I find it confusing as to which books would be needed. With so many books coming out, constantly changing, updating or expanding the rules of so many armies and the core rules themselves, the playerbase gets fragmented.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2019, 04:25:38 AM »
Even with the chase gone, people keep it going with 9th or whateve system they're on. I don't get the reasoning behind it. We have five or six decent editions to play for fantasy already lol

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2019, 09:53:39 AM »
I haven't played WFB in so long, and I'd definitely go back to 6th if I was playing.

It just doesn't seem worth it to try to catch up to whatever is going on with W:AoS
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2019, 04:31:12 PM »
Truly GW ruined WFB.  Some of the 3rd party attempts are pretty good though.  No matter which edition of Warhammer there was, none of them were balanced and/or ideal.  I'm rolling out the beloved Empire using Kings of War rules.  Hopefully I'll have some battle reports up soon.  The armies of Middenland and Altdorf are on the march!
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2019, 08:50:49 PM »
Like someone had said in a thread on facebook, any system can be exploited and broken if you try hard enough. There is the known broken lists in 6th like raf or whatever,  just if you are playing for fun, people who run them run out of opponents fast. I think i've played close to 100 games over the past year,  none of them feeling unbalanced even with the special characters

Offline Atchman

• The Old Ones
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2019, 08:29:27 PM »
That is a fact.  As a LONG time Empire player I honestly don't think you can cheese them enough to blow anyone off the table.  With that said, I really prefer my big blocks of troops, nilla knights and the artillery of the Empire. 

Even when I took fairly hard Empire armies to tournaments, I didn't do any better.  That is because the other races hard lists were just that much harder to defeat.  With Empire the best I ever did at GTs was three wins. Most of the time, I had two wins, two draws, and a loss.  That means I had four decent games and one OOPS :D
"Do not gloat when your enemy falls; when he stumbles, do no let your heart rejoice"

Offline KTG17

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2019, 07:02:38 PM »
I don't really seek out players I don't know. Either my friends play or I don't. I have been lucky in the past having a group of motivated fans of a game and being able to play regularly with them, but not all collected the models. Two of the longest groups I had were in upstate NY and out in Texas. The NY one actually was great because we didn't have all that much to do during winter if we weren't doing winter things, and we'd camp out all night in someone's basement playing Epic. The next group I had was in Texas and they just loved Epic, then 40k when I introduced that.

Both groups had issues interpreting rules here and there with every game, and some arguments got frustrating, and the with the Texas group we decided on keeping a notebook to refer to any house rule we decided on if the rules weren't clear. This was all before the age of the internet and readily available FAQs. It never occurred to us that we could just call GW.

That being said, we did the best we could what we had, and just had to deal with broken models or rules. We typically tried to counter them with more opposing models lol. I had a friend int he Texas group show up to play 40k 2nd edition with 4 Bloodthirsters! We were like holy crap but gave it a go anyway. It was an epic event. We had a Terminator unit wiped out in the first round of that game too. But we also had a bunker with a devastator squad who managed to kill all but one of the Bloodthirsters before it reached the bunker and destroyed it. Can't remember the rest of the game, nor who won, but in that setting things were loose and fun. I imagine in a competitive setting things probably wouldn't be. I think people spend far more time on the modeling part than they do the playing part, and hate to see that time invested in something perform badly on the table or just not match up well, and then get frustrated. I don't like losing too much either, but so long as the spirit of the game is fun, then I don't care. I like epic moments, whether I win them or not. I know not everyone feels that way.

I know after all these years though, that I would rather not play at all than play knowing I wouldn't have a good time, so I just avoid certain types of players. I would also avoid someone who knew a particular rule, list, or model was really broken and exploited it as well. I mean, I'll give you the current game, but probably avoid friendship and playing again. So what do they really win? Ego boost?  :icon_neutral:

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2019, 09:42:32 PM »
My impression is many don't love the book chase at all. I don't. Even if the new or updated books are free, I tend to tire soon chasing the most recent one.

Modern games seem to update the basic game & add factions with yearly leaflets/books, and often at least partially free. Real updates tend to update the whole game, and come once in 3-5 years. I think GW is one of the few who update their games all the time, with random intervals.

What people do like is new models with interesting rules. And sometimes a rules fix/FAQ to remedy obvious problems. A game can be kept interesting & balanced with such additions and updates for years without the need to constantly push out new books about this faction or that style of play.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2019, 01:03:30 AM »
Speaking as a man who's been selling nerdy crap on eBay for several years; the easiest way to explain it is nostalgia. People have fond memories of whatever incarnation a franchise is in when they are introduced to it. People also hate change and can become quite bitter whenever [whatever it is] they love changes in any way.

Offline brr-icy

• Members
  • All the things 6th
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2019, 04:54:05 AM »
Speaking as a man who's been selling nerdy crap on eBay for several years; the easiest way to explain it is nostalgia. People have fond memories of whatever incarnation a franchise is in when they are introduced to it. People also hate change and can become quite bitter whenever [whatever it is] they love changes in any way.

It's the opposite that confuses me,  why throw away your books and armies every few months