home

Author Topic: Chronicles of the Gold Dwarf (My T&G fluff)  (Read 1326 times)

Offline 132nd

• Members
Chronicles of the Gold Dwarf (My T&G fluff)
« on: July 16, 2010, 09:19:53 PM »
Please bare in mind that this is still WIP and I will be adding onto it.  C&C is very welcome.  Also it is more dwarven oriented and translated by an Imperial Scholar.  So it is written from his point of view.  (And he occassionally butts in with his Author's Notes.)                     

Chronicles of the Gold Dwarf
                                            By Vartag WiseBrow
                                         Translated by Eamon Schein. 

Let it be known to whoever finds themselves lucky enough to find a copy of this book that it is one of the most daunting tasks I have ever completed.  Very few humans know Khazalid and even if they do there knowledge is always limitted.  Scarcely any dwarfs approve of 'manlings' learning there language.  As you can imagine it was hard acquiring a dwarf nice enough (and drunk enough) to aid me in the translation of the epic tome written by Vartag WiseBrow.  (A very well known writer of dwarven literature within Barak Varr)  The tome by Vartag itself is nearly six thousand pages long and filled with an innumerable amount of detail.  No matter how many years I spent on it (which happened to be three very long years living amongst the dwarfs) I could not have translated it to the very word.  As such many volumes are simply left out due to the inability of my dwarf guide to translate it or the fact that it was simply to detailed and unimportant to spend my time on.  With that being said there are also nearly a dozen other things that truly make this book one of the rarest pieces of literature within the Empire. 

Only six copies of this book exist, five of which were personally hand-copied by me.  (My fingers are still blistered, thank you very much!)  One of which is kept within the Library of Nuln.  Another within the Stirland Cryer, a small library owned by one of the wealthiest men in Stirland.  (Which is a shame.  I mean it's not like anyone in Stirland knows how to read!  Glory to Nuln!)  The original book, which is in Khazalid and fully intact with every bit of detail possible remains in the grand library of Barak Varr.  (Where I am told it is still being added on to as more appearances of the Gold Dwarf are reported.)  The fourth one is owned by yours truly in his very dusty and large library.  The other two are sadly unaccountable for.  (One was left in the Badlands alongside the ravaged corpse of one of my friends!  R.I.P. Venius Schorn)  The remaining copy, I am told, has been shipped out to Araby by one my guides, who was offered a fortune well beyond describing from a very interested Sultan.  (Sigmar gives thanks, Vont Warrian!)  Now, as you can see this literature is both rare and an excellent masterpiece.  (I thank both Sigmar and the Colleges of Nuln for my truly Sigmar-given talent!  Glory to Nuln!)  However, through my descriptions you have no idea how much work it took!

Nearly thirty people of the original eighty sent to Barak Varr perished in the trip through the Badlands.  Another twenty were killed on the way back, meaning only thirty of us survived.  (Fourteen of which died from wounds or disease as soon as we made it to Nuln.)  You have no idea how much I owe to the people who accompanied me.  (Either as mercenaries or friends.)  I would gladly do anything for them, for they have did everything for me.  (Except for help me translate the damned thing!  Granted...three of them were Stirlanders!  Glory to Nuln!)  But, now I am ranting and keeping you from such a valued and rare book.  Please do enjoy!  Glory to Nuln, Sigmar, and the Empire!

Chapter 1: The Gold Dwarf
  It has been several long centuries.  Many things have happened.  The great wars in the Empire for the throne.  Our own great hold's involvement in the Marienburg War.  But, those are for a different tome and a different dwarf.  One whom has seen that war up close and personal.  I cannot spend time describing that dwarf or that war.  There are more pressing matters at hand.  Our most hallowed King tasked me to compel a tome of the rise and fall of the Gold Dwarf.  One which would describe his heroism, yet thirst for gold.  One which would show what is to happen to any self respecting dwarf if he goes over the edge.  Gold is good.  But, the ancestors are greater!  If Grungni would have wished for every dwarf to be wealthy than he would have made the mountains out of gold.  (*Author's Note: Grungni is the most revered god of the dwarfs.  The God of Mining as far as I can tell.)  Although some dwarfs think they can remedy there poorness by moving to the realms of men where they work as coal miners and smiths.  And yes they are wealthy, but the wealth comes at a cost!  Forsaking ones hold and clan to travel to the nations of men to work a life of toil and little else.  These dwarfs are admirable (and a little strange) but they make there gold a good way.

Then there are the others.  Whose wealth depends only upon there blade and the whims of Grimnir.  (Author's Note: Grimnir is the God of Battle to the dwarfs.  Some similarities exist between him and Ulric.)  Most do the battle in Grimnir's name, yet others do it for more selfish reasons.  Some just do it to survive.  (Author's Note: Which is ironic. Dwarfish honor is awkward and unstable.  Becoming a mercenary to survive means certain death.)  Yet, there are others who do it for no other reason than the fact that they want more.  More gold and more power.  These dwarfs are walking on a very thin line and if they were to fall they would end up as the lost kin.  (Author's Note: The lost kin are supposedly a race of evil dwarfs.  Most likely used to scare dwarfish children in a similar manner to the Fimir of Marienburg.)  These dwarfs are...strange...yet admirable.  Some have gathered wealth to rival the most wealthiest Thanes and Kings.  (Author's Note: Thane's are most likely leaders of clans or towns.  It is unclear...)  They have what every dwarf wants.  Gold, power, and even small empires.  What they have had to do to get such power makes them little more than pirates and marauders.  Occasionally bloodlust gets a hold of them and they will go on near eternal campaigns, gathering and looting gold wherever they can.  (Author's Note: Perhaps another reference to the lost kin?!?!?  Or a dwarf's fall to the lures of <cut out in the name of my dignity and Sigmar!>) 

One of these men...is no doubt the Gold Dwarf.  A warrior with battle prowess that could match a Daemon Slayer and enough wealth to match a King.  (Author's Note: Daemon Slayer's are maniacal dwarfs with dyed orange hair and Mohawks!  And no I have not been hitting the flask!  I am serious!)  Many have taken to holding the Gold Dwarf in as much esteem as the immortal White Dwarf.  (Author's Note: The White Dwarf is a very esteemed dwarven lore figure.  Who is supposedly the embodiment of vengeance within the dwarf race.)  Such thing is a mistake, although the Gold Dwarf is similar, he lacks the heroics.  The White Dwarf is the greatest hero of the dwarven race, having been sighted at nearly ten thousand battles throughout the millenia.  All of which he has won!  The Gold Dwarf is perhaps the near opposite.  A dwarf covered from head to toe in golden armour that appears during the battle at the head of a massive dwarven throng.  (Author's Note: Throng is the equivalent of an army.)  His army itself is ramshackle and loaded with some of the most drunken and blood thirsty dwarfs in the Old World.  When they attack they take no prisoners and loot everything of value.  (Author's Note: Considering dwarfs are so greedy it seems this Gold Dwarf is leaving thousands of corpses naked on the battlefield.  Eccentric little men indeed.)  It is relatively unknown how he has come by such a large army that is so well equipped.  His origin is also unknown and very mysterious.  Although numerous theories have arisen as to who he is.  (Which will be explored in another volume!)  The most important thing right now is how much of a burden he has become. 

His army has waged campaigns from Tilea to Cathay.  Although he has many enemies none have seemed to succeed in slaying him.  The more open supporters of the Gold Dwarf have theories speculating that he is not actually physically living, but a vengeful dwarven spirit.  (Which will be explored in a further volume!)  Others say it his sheer skill and perhaps the golden armour he wears.  Whatever it is there is no reasonable explanation for the years he has survived through battle-after-battle.  The more established elders have settled on a more realistic fact.  He is either very very skilled.  Or a long line of dwarfs who take up his armour after the last Gold Dwarf dies.  (A similar theory exists about the White Dwarf!)  It is not for me to decide which of these theories is right.  It is for me to tell you the history of the Gold Dwarf and his first sightings.  Before he became the lord of a massive mercenary army.  Before he became one of the most infamous dwarven warlords to ever plague the Old World.  Before he became one of our greatest heroes.  (Or villains!)  This will be the Chronicles of the Gold Dwarf!                     

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
Re: Chronicles of the Gold Dwarf (My T&G fluff)
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2010, 09:49:20 PM »
That's a good start! It's nice to see one of the newer online players writing nice decent fluff!

I presume you're playing as this "gold dwarf" and you're going to write as a historian for all his fluff?

Considering I'm likely to have to read and rate 40 odd players fluff a turn I'm actually quite interested so far!
« Last Edit: July 16, 2010, 09:53:33 PM by Mogsam »
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline 132nd

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 09:57:02 PM »
  Yep.  I'm planning on writing through the view point of a historian.  And I will be playing the Gold Dwarf.  (Also debating on whether or not to write up a few short stories.  I only hope my writing is up to par...   :dry:)

Offline Mogsam

• Members
  • Resident Jewish Panda
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 10:15:29 PM »
Your writing is really quite good. I'd recommend writing stories even if you are submitting actual game reports. The more interesting the characters are the more likely we are to take notice. That's not to say you should write anything just to get it out there, but it doesn't hurt!

A critism if I may, it does risk a bit of "awesomeness" with the character being simply too "awesome". If that makes sense. The more enigmatic and powerful they are the harder it becomes to write good stories about them. It tends to get out of control and a bit ridiculous. Characters need the depth of frailty in my opinion. Though I do like the fact that he's a bastard really. It's quite a good T&G theme.
Curse you and your ability to stay within the lines.

Offline 132nd

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 03:22:23 PM »
  Yes.  I agree about the awesomeness of characters.  Personally I was thinking of remedying it by the fact that there is so much myth and legend surrounding the Gold Dwarf.  (Most likely due to his oddness perhaps?)  Meaning he's not that wealthy.  (Of course he is by dwarf and human standards, but no enormous treasures and halls of gold.)  But, I don't really know.  So I will probably follow up with chapter 2 tonight maybe. 

Offline 132nd

• Members
Chronicles of the Gold Dwarf (My T&G fluff) (chapter 2)
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 01:41:15 AM »
                                       Chapter 2: The First Sighting

It was upon the bloody fields of the Black Peninsula where the Gold Dwarf would first be spotted.  The Wars of the Black Peninsula were raging during this time.  Two minor city-states had engaged in all out war over a recent found goldmine within the area.  Over eight thousand men clashed in a series of skirmishes and raids upon each others territory.  The City of Monchella was the stronger of the two having hired nearly a hundred mercenary knights to serve in there already large war-host.  Monchella's rival, Torrini, was the weaker.  Although it boasted a significant navy, it's own army was largely made up of local peasants, conscripts, and anyone else who would join at the sight of a few feeble copper coins.  Although normally the wars of men would not concern us.  (Author's Note: The original dwarf author means it would not concern them in a military sense.  Other than that they are always selling weapons to the highest bidder! Greedy indeed!)  However, it was a different case here.  The lord of Monchella had offered our own King over a thousand gold and the rights to forty percent of the gold mine if we could win the war for him.  (Author's Note: Typical dwarven greediness!  The tales about dwarfs are very true within the Empire!) 

Oaths were sworn and within a week sixty dwarfs from the King's own clan had set out towards Monchella.  Led by Valg IronBack, the King had predicted the war would be over within a few weeks.  Although, I would later find out he was very wrong about that and nearly everything else.  (Author's Note: Typical dwarven politics!  The original dwarven author seemed to have a thirst for power!)  Despite I myself was not present at the battle, I have garnered enough sources to cement the following story.  Sources including first hand accounts from surviving soldiers and our own mercenaries.  Valg IronBack himself returned with the grim news of the story.  A tale of the last Battle of the Black Peninsula where nearly three thousand men were slaughtered. 

We arrived by ironclads in four days.  As soon as we stepped foot upon the Black Peninsula we were greeted by our employers in the form of the army of Monchella.  A total of four thousand soldiers met us on the coast, bringing word that we were to march with them to confront the Torrinians in what was to be the largest battle in the entire war.  Least to say were skeptical, having had specific mercenary contracts worked out before we landed. 

The contract Valg refers to is the Contract of the King, made and signed a week before Valg landed.  Our dwarfs were to land and make way towards the gold mine on foot.  The gold mine itself had been held by the Torrinians since the start of the war.  (Author's Note: Most likely due to the fact that it was indeed closer to Torrini!)  Valg and his warriors were to meet up with a small force of Monchellan raiders and with there numbers bolstered, take the gold mine and hold until the rest of the Monchellan army arrived.  Angrily our King noted that this did not happen.  Therefore, upon Valg's return a dozen grudges were entered in grudge book of Barak Varr.  (Author's Note: Grudges are a form of recompense ordered by the dwarfs when they feel that they have been wronged.  Some even recquire people to be killed!)  Thankfully I lived to see this come true at the sacking of Monchella.  (Author's Note: The sacking of Monchella will be foretold of in another volume!  Curse dwarfs due to there slowness!) 

We were angered that the manlings chose not to follow or even acknowledge our Contract.  However, for the good of the King and the Hold's Coffers we went along.  The Monchellan army itself was numerous and impressive, as far as manling hosts go.  The vanguard itself consisted of over five hundred cavalry that included mercenary knights and the city's own heavy cavalry.  The bulk of the army was no doubt the well armed and armoured pike-men.   Although other elements of the army included several hundred crossbowmen, swordsmen, and even a few of the short folk.  They sparingly used gunpowder, having only a hundred handgunners and barely four cannons.  Other than that it was a solid army, said to be vastly superior to the Torrinians we were to be facing. 

We marched for six days with the vanguard encountering only a few Torrinian scouts and war-bands.  According to the General, Vespucci the III, the bulk of the Torrinians were gathering in there own army to oppose us.  I found this to be true when we first met them at the Viniel Hills.  Our vanguard reported a force numbering over four thousand.  Which was said to be three quarters of the standing military of Torrini.  They were poorly equipped, wielding bows to our own crossbows and handguns.  Swordsmen within there army were scarce, with a long majority of them carrying little more than clubs.  Pikemen were present as well, although wielding inferior copper tipped pikes and wearing a lighter armour.  It would be an easy victory with our heavily armed knights.  And the fact that sixty dwarf warriors armed from head to toe were part of the force!  With the spirit of Grimnir in us we did battle. 

Things went well.  My own warriors holding the right flank with the artillery while the Monchellan pikes held the front.  The swordsmen stayed in reserve only a regiment or two seeing action on the left flank were the short folk protected three of the cannons.  Our own position put us on the front line where the horse-drawn cannons could wreak havoc upon the enemy.  With our better position and the aid of several of the crossbowmen we slaughtered many of the enemy, until they eventually gave up on the right flank, preferring to send there lighter cavalry against the manling knights.  To say the least, we slaughtered them during the first few minutes.  Until there superior numbers managed to break through the first rank of pikemen, engaging the reserve swordsmen.  By then the entire battle-line was encompassed in the bloodshed, save for us.  Who continued to reign death from our own rifles and pistols upon the enemy.  It took myself mere moments to realize what the enemy had done.  However, there was little I could do, but continue to protect the right flank. 

Cleverly the enemy's light cavalry reserve had repositioned themselves and managed to attack the left flank en mass.  The short folk were slaughtered and the entire left flank overran.  Without wasting time the enemy capitalized on this weakness and began to overwhelm what was left of our center.  In the name of Grimnir and Gold I ordered my men to charge leaving the swordsmen left to defend the left flank.  By either Grungni or Ghazul by the time we reached the battle the entire right flank was nothing but ashes!  A volley of cannons had decimated what was left of our own artillery.  With our guns silenced we relied only on our skill to win.  But, quickly we found the Torrinians were losing heart.  The unseen cannons seemed to be reigning death upon the Torrinian center!  Thinking that reinforcements had arrived, General Vespucci rallied our men and sent us forward with renewed vigour.  It was then that we meant him and the true enemy! 

A dwarf covered from head to toe in shining gold armour cut through dozens of Torrinians with ease.  A retinue of similar dwarfs followed behind him crushing all foes before them.  The Monchellans were stunned not knowing if they were friends or foes!  That was there mistake, because when the Gold Dwarf fell upon our lines nothing stopped him.  They were far better equipped and skilled than the Monchellans and obviously had control of the unseen cannons that continued to reign an obvious rune enhanced barrage upon both the Monchellan and Torrinian lines.  Cowardice seemed to plague both the Monchellan and Torrinian commanders who both withdrew at the same time.  It by the time that General Vespucci himself was hacked down from his saddle that I ordered my warriors to retreat.  We ignored the Monchellans, knowing our only way for survival was to make it back to Barak Varr.  In our ordered retreat it was then that I saw the Gold Dwarf up close.  Although his face was hidden by a golden war-mask I knew he saw us.  With his own golden warriors outnumbering us, it surprised me when he chose not to attack.  He merely nodded to us and continued his renewed assault upon the fleeing men around him. 

Those words were from Valg himself and uttered to both the King and I upon his return to Barak Varr.  Originally there was speculation that the Gold Dwarf (as Valg and his warriors named him.  A name that has stuck ever since!)  was hired by the Torrinians.  Which is unlikely due to the fact that, according to Valg the cannons reigned down upon both lines and that Torrini could probably not afford such seasoned mercenaries.  One thing in my opinion is obvious, the Gold Dwarf was either hired by the Monchellans as a secret, but dangerous weapon. (Dangerous due to his apparent bloodlust and inability to reign his cannons solely on the Torrinians.)  Or he was a third faction trying to complete his own mission.  The second is more likely due to the fact that, according to Valg, the cannons were so devastating and most likely operated by very well trained crews.  Despite, the fact that not a single one of our own warriors were harmed by the Gold Dwarf and his retinue, it is disturbing how he came out of knowwhere.  Not only did he cost the death of over five hundred Monchellan warriors he wiped out over half of the city's own artillery.  It is only lucky that he did more damage on the Torrinian army, wiping out over two thousand Torrinians.  The bloodiest battle of the war had ended with neither a victory for the Torrinians or the Monchellans. 

It was grim indeed.  Grim that our own mercenaries had been cut out of a deal and forced into a battle they were not contracted to fight.  Grim that so many had been slaughtered by the appearance of a single dwarf and his retinue.  The only thing that made it even bleaker and darker was the fact that the appearances of this bloodthirsty, cruel dwarf would only continue.  And worsen...                       

« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 02:02:01 AM by 132nd »