home

Author Topic: Random rule combinations to share  (Read 3225 times)

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
Re: Random rule combinations to share
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2024, 11:54:17 PM »
And Night Goblins only need 10 to a unit, so investment is at an all time low. O&G just need to scatter night goblin units in the front of their lines, push out fanatics early and then the orc boyz can mop up the rest. Fanatics feel like O&G's cheat code (similar to how Demigryphs are ours but in a different way)

10-strong night gobbo units will panic a lot, though, unless within the command radius of the general. They need the ranks for Ld.

I guess Mortars have a very useful place in our army when fighting O&G - both because templates can kill them, but also those S3 pie plates can take out the night goblins before they can release them.

Mortars are only S2 now. In my games, direct hits have still only killed a handful of night gobbos.
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2024, 11:57:24 PM »
Night Goblins may panic, assuming there are things you can do to trigger panic checks...

I did not check Mortar strength.
That is just horrible.

Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2024, 02:21:50 PM »
Just spotted on Reddit (and I can't find a reason this is not allowed):

Wizard Lord, 5x extremely common magic item "Wizard's Staff" at 20 points each, for a +9 to cast.

Handy when you really need to get that Doppleganger/Mace of Helsturm combo going. But would look very silly. Maybe model them in a small cart behind him...

Note: I would never do this, except when facing a known "that guy".

Offline Calimehter

• Members
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2024, 02:47:59 PM »

Wizard Lord, 5x extremely common magic item "Wizard's Staff" at 20 points each, for a +9 to cast.

Handy when you really need to get that Doppleganger/Mace of Helsturm combo going. But would look very silly. Maybe model them in a small cart behind him...

While it is a bit silly, 5x Wizard's staffs use up your whole magic item allowance (i.e. no ward saves or mistcast mitigation for you) and they also only work on Magic Missles and Assailment spells . . . the latter of which you probably won't want to be too involved in if you have no ward saves or other magical protections.  Any Enchantments, Hexes, or Vortexes won't benefit from this.

You could just take 2 or 3 and use the savings for better protection, but now you aren't really boosting the numbers into silly levels anymore.  If there had been a 40 point single item that gave a +2 to casting rolls (or even a pricy 60 point single item that gave you +3) for just Magic Missles and Assailments, I doubt anyone would blink an eye if you took it.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2024, 08:31:27 PM »

While not stated in the rules anywhere that I know of it seems reasonable to only take one of each magic item. I would certainly surrender on the spot to anyone who pulled this trick.

Offline Count James

• Members
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2024, 10:55:22 PM »
Yee... not sensible really.

On an unrelated note, tell me if I'm reading this right. I'm looking at the best ways to use my block of Greatswords (since they're my only unit at present they're definitely going to be in the list for a while when I get one together...). I'm definitely thinking we need to be buffing our units with the numerous, cheap characters we can bring to the table.

So: "Strikes Last" reduces you to Initiative 1 in combat before modifiers.

So would this mean a model with a great weapon who is charging would be striking at up to Initiative 4 (modifiers of +1 per inch moved up to +3, assuming a frontal charge)? In theory you could further improve initiative with other effects, since they'd be modifiers too (e.g. the Demonology #6 spell).

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2024, 11:20:26 PM »
Correct.
That is a way to manipulate Initiative.
And yes, that spell would help too.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline LA90

• Members
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2024, 11:32:43 AM »
Hi everyone!  :biggriin:

I was asking myself, if the prayers also apply to other characters in units? If so, the combination Wrath of Winter on a Grand Master with Runefang would be quite nice!

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2024, 12:49:04 PM »
While not stated in the rules anywhere that I know of it seems reasonable to only take one of each magic item. I would certainly surrender on the spot to anyone who pulled this trick.

Extremely common items, you are explicitly allowed to take more than one of the same item on the same character.

Whether this particular instance is a good idea or not is up for debate.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2024, 01:00:14 PM »
Hi everyone!  :biggriin:

I was asking myself, if the prayers also apply to other characters in units? If so, the combination Wrath of Winter on a Grand Master with Runefang would be quite nice!

I would assume so, but not 100% sure…

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #35 on: February 27, 2024, 12:45:28 AM »
Supporting attack. How does it work.

One page 145:
Supporting Attacks: Some models are equipped with weapons that allow them to make a ‘supporting attack’. To make a supporting attack, a model must be directly behind a friendly model that is itself in a fighting rank. However, supporting attacks cannot be made to a unit’s flank or rear, nor can they be made by a model that is itself in a fighting rank.

Does this mean 1 attack, or attacks as per their profile?
Frenzied Orc Boyz with spears - 1 attack, or multiple?

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #36 on: February 27, 2024, 03:29:14 AM »
Supporting attack. How does it work.

One page 145:
Supporting Attacks: Some models are equipped with weapons that allow them to make a ‘supporting attack’. To make a supporting attack, a model must be directly behind a friendly model that is itself in a fighting rank. However, supporting attacks cannot be made to a unit’s flank or rear, nor can they be made by a model that is itself in a fighting rank.

Does this mean 1 attack, or attacks as per their profile?
Frenzied Orc Boyz with spears - 1 attack, or multiple?

I believe 1 attack, in the same manner as an overhanging front ranker.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #37 on: February 27, 2024, 03:57:17 AM »
It doesn’t say specifically though, and thats my issue with the rule.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #38 on: February 27, 2024, 04:19:51 AM »
It doesn’t say specifically though, and thats my issue with the rule.

"... that allow them to make A supporting attack..."

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #39 on: February 27, 2024, 04:24:02 AM »
‘supporting attack’

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #40 on: February 27, 2024, 04:26:24 AM »
‘supporting attack’
I think the use of the singular throughout that passage is fairly conclusive.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Kippers

• Members
  • The White Wolf wants YOU!
« Reply #41 on: February 27, 2024, 06:33:24 AM »

Just follow up on this, it states on page 337 that a character can only take one magic item from each category. So you can’t take 5 staffs
Many an ancient lord' s last words had been, "You can' t kill me because I' ve got magic aaargh."

Magic armour is not all it' s cracked up to be. (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #42 on: February 27, 2024, 11:47:56 AM »
Thank goodness someone put an end to this nonsense.  :-P
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2024, 12:10:55 PM »

Just follow up on this, it states on page 337 that a character can only take one magic item from each category. So you can’t take 5 staffs

On the same page it also says:
Extremely Common Magic Items: Some types of magic item
are more common than others: scrolls on which simple spells are written that crumble to dust upon being read aloud; stones
that contain magical power which can be cracked open to aid
a Wizard’s conjuration; even humble shields that bear runes of protection.
Any magic item marked with an asterisk (*) is considered to
be extremely common. Such items are seen in great number
and, as such, can be purchased alongside other magic items
from the same category. In addition, there is no limit to how
many duplicates of such items can be included in an army, or even how many duplicates a character can carry (beyond
the limit of how many points that character can spend on magic items).

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2024, 12:50:29 PM »
Yes but it would be unreasonable for a character to take 5 shields to get a 1+ save

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #45 on: February 27, 2024, 01:07:40 PM »
Would it?  :biggriin:

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #46 on: February 27, 2024, 02:20:51 PM »
Yes

Offline PowerSeries

• Members
« Reply #47 on: February 27, 2024, 05:08:53 PM »
I would not let the shield stack the +1, but I did see someone taking multiple "charms" on one shield to try and extend it.  Not sure if that works though, as it says "for the first wound taken".

Offline Kippers

• Members
  • The White Wolf wants YOU!
« Reply #48 on: February 27, 2024, 06:53:34 PM »
Oh ffs. I should have read the whole page. I am beginning to get the impression that there is enough stuff for another FAQ/errata now…
Many an ancient lord' s last words had been, "You can' t kill me because I' ve got magic aaargh."

Magic armour is not all it' s cracked up to be. (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2024, 11:15:33 PM »
There is definitely enough stuff for errata / FAQ.
If they play tested with a wider group, they would have uncovered a lot more of these, as well as balanced points better than they have.