home

Author Topic: Mercenary Ogres  (Read 381 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Mercenary Ogres
« on: April 05, 2024, 11:50:20 PM »
So we have access to Badlands Ogres now. To my mind, they are Imperial Ogres.
They have a specific spot in our armylist - the mercenary slot, and as such I feel should be accepted for all comers with no frowns or bad feelings.

I wish their role was played by Imperial Ogres.  Comparing with the Mercenary Badlands Ogres with great weapons, right now they are similar, M6 and impact hits vs M7 swiftstride first charge, countercharge, 3 S4 (6) attacks vs 3 S5 + 1 S6 (4) attacks, but only 5+ heavy armour vs  2+ full plate, barding, shield.  Both have fear, and 3 wounds. 43 points vs 63, so fair enough, they are cheaper, and you can add bodies instead of more armour.

Maybe with ironfists?  4 S4 attacks and a 4+ save?

But I also only have the minis for my Landsckecht Ogres and no Demigryff knights, so that's part of my wishful thinking.

Has anyone thought about taking them? We have wanted Imperial Ogres since forever - this is a close as we have gotten in a long time. Do they have a place in our armylists? Once we fill core and characters, they have their own points category so the option is very possible without impacting our other slot percentages…
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Eashamahel

• Members
Re: Mercenary Ogres
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 01:13:50 AM »
Hello.

I don't even know how long it's been since I last made it on here, but with the Old World release I've furiously re-made my 8th ed Warriors of Chaos army and have been gathering all my old units, bits and pieces from my Dogs of War for an Empire army.

I said as soon as it came out that all I needed was an option to take some Ogres and I'd be set, and here it is!

Now, I already have an 8 model unit in my Warriors army, and another pile painted for my Traitor Guard army, but I'm absolutely going to run a unit with my Empire for full Dogs of War feeling.  The ability to mix their gear up in the unit and take upgrades makes them very distinct, and I'm confident they'll be a characterful addition.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 07:13:03 AM »
So we have access to Badlands Ogres now. To my mind, they are Imperial Ogres.
They have a specific spot in our armylist - the mercenary slot, and as such I feel should be accepted for all comers with no frowns or bad feelings.

I wish their role was played by Imperial Ogres.  Comparing with the Mercenary Badlands Ogres with great weapons, right now they are similar, M6 and impact hits vs M7 swiftstride first charge, countercharge, 3 S4 (6) attacks vs 3 S5 + 1 S6 (4) attacks, but only 5+ heavy armour vs  2+ full plate, barding, shield.  Both have fear, and 3 wounds. 43 points vs 63, so fair enough, they are cheaper, and you can add bodies instead of more armour.

Maybe with ironfists?  4 S4 attacks and a 4+ save?

But I also only have the minis for my Landsckecht Ogres and no Demigryff knights, so that's part of my wishful thinking.

Has anyone thought about taking them? We have wanted Imperial Ogres since forever - this is a close as we have gotten in a long time. Do they have a place in our armylists? Once we fill core and characters, they have their own points category so the option is very possible without impacting our other slot percentages…

Is the Orc and Goblin journal out yet?
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline PowerSeries

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 12:45:44 PM »
I'm running them in my next game, since I already painted them.

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 05:31:43 PM »
Imperial ogres, with their huge puffy sleeves and massive feathery hats, just look so amazing and are such colorful, characterful models.

Offline Clymer

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2024, 10:22:40 PM »
How can we include Ogres? Is there something other than the mercenaries allotment in army comp that came out? Something in the Orcs arcane journal?
Note: The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only and may contain views not necessarily held by its author. Any similarity to actual facts is purely coincidental.

Offline PowerSeries

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 02:19:47 AM »
Badlands ogres entry which is explicitly allowed in any list with a mercenaries component.  Check the Old World Builder, it's already available.

Offline sedobren

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2024, 08:56:07 AM »
That's really great news! I have 6 ogre bulls laying around, never used them in fantasy!