home

Author Topic: Mercenary Ogres List  (Read 271 times)

Online PowerSeries

• Members
Mercenary Ogres List
« on: April 09, 2024, 02:45:31 PM »
I'm going to be fighting bretonia, and I want to use my Ogres and Pistoliers.  What do you think?  I went super light on the magic items to fit all this in.  I could cut the greatswords and 2 pistoliers to try and get a Ruby Ring and a War Banner instead, but I think this is good?

++ Characters [434 pts] ++
General of the Empire [262 pts]
(Hand weapon, Great weapon, Full plate armour, Shield, Griffon, The White Cloak)

Captain of the Empire [82 pts]
(Hand weapon, Great weapon, Full plate armour, Shield, Battle Standard Bearer, On foot)

Master Mage [90 pts]
(Hand weapon, Level 2 Wizard, On foot, Daemonology)

++ Core Units [250 pts] ++
21 State Troops [162 pts]
(Hand weapons, Thrusting spears, Light armour, Shields, Sergeant (champion), Standard bearer, Musician)

4 Empire Knights [88 pts]
(Hand weapons, Lances, Shields, Heavy armour)

++ Special Units [181 pts] ++
5 Empire Greatswords [55 pts]
(Great weapons, Full plate armour)

7 Pistoliers [126 pts]
(Hand weapons, Brace of pistols, Heavy armour, Veteran (champion) [Brace of pistols], Musician)

++ Mercenaries [135 pts] ++
3 Badland Ogre Bulls [135 pts]
(Hand Weapon, Heavy armour, 3 Great Weapons, Crusher (champion), Standard bearer, Bellower (musician))

---
Created with "Old World Builder"

[https://old-world-builder.com]

Offline Clymer

• Members
Re: Mercenary Ogres List
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2024, 04:11:54 PM »
What's your plan for the Greatswords? My ADHD kicked in before I could get through all the posts in the MSU Greatswords thread.

But maybe drop the greatswords and take two units of pistoliers? They should be pretty annoying against a cav army like Brettonia and while I wouldn't expect them to win combats if they accidentally make an impetuous charge against a lance, it wouldn't be the end of the world for them with a limited number of weak attacks coming back at them. And if he fails to restrain when the pistoliers break from combat, it should set up a juicy flank charge for something else in your army.

Pistoliers' shooting also has a pretty good chance of taking out a Brettonian knight or three before they get into combat, which could nudge things in your favor.
Note: The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only and may contain views not necessarily held by its author. Any similarity to actual facts is purely coincidental.

Online PowerSeries

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2024, 04:40:10 PM »
I only have 8 Pistolier models unfortunately.  My plan with the greatswords is to treat it like a detachment and put it a bit behind the spears, and countercharge in the following turn after the spears fall back after being charged by knights with first charge.

Offline Clymer

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2024, 04:44:53 PM »
That's an interesting tactic. Just from personal selfishness, I say keep the greatswords then, because I want to know how that ends up working out.  :happy:
Note: The above post was intended for entertainment purposes only and may contain views not necessarily held by its author. Any similarity to actual facts is purely coincidental.

Online PowerSeries

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2024, 04:47:03 PM »
We will see, I might have to use them to divert a baron on a royal pegasus away from the flank instead.

Offline sedobren

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2024, 10:35:09 AM »
Since you can use O&G magic items, ogres belong to that list, you could try some of the banners they have. One gives +1 S on the charge, another adds d3" to the charge rolls. Lots of options.

Pistoliers are not bad vs bretonnia but they lack counter charge. This means that they will either be slaughtered of have to fire&flee. F&F is not bad but be wary of their positioning. If you need points you could nib some from them.

The mage is fine, you have the solid magic missile that can wreak havoc on bretonnia. The spells are tough to cast though, most are 9+, so i'd consider other lores like elementalism. If you roll the earthen rampart spell on your spearmen, suddenly the enemy cavalry will find itself charging with no I bonus, while your spesrmen will attack first thanks to the +I bonus from their spear. The signsture is also decent here (-1 to I and movement is not bad), the teleport spell is obviously good. The magic missile is okay but S 5 triggers the higher ward save so I'd rather have a s4 missile.

If you really want to hurt them i'd downgrade the general to captain (you are not giving him magic weapons anyway, so you are no losing much) and upgrade the mage to lvl 3 or even 4 if you can.