home

Author Topic: Monstrous Mounted Character armour save  (Read 425 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Monstrous Mounted Character armour save
« on: April 15, 2024, 01:25:15 AM »
So, according the FAQ:

Q: A character mounted on a ridden monster or a chariot can choose to use their own or their mount’s armour value, whichever is better. If the character wears magic armour but I choose to use the mount’s armour value, can I still claim other benefits conferred by the magic armour?
A: No. You must use a magic item fully or not at all.

Q: If a character mounted on a ridden monster or chariot carries a shield, does that improve the mount’s armour value?
A: No, a shield is carried by the character, not the mount

I know there has been a lot of discussion around how that relates to Armour of Ages, and generally as Empire we have access to Full Plate and Shields, but I am a little unclear how that relates to Charmed Shield. And a lot of the way its written implies that the monster and rider have separate profiles, but they are actually mostly combined....

Why would the mount's armour value matter at all unless you are a wizard then? The extra armour of a mount doesn't stack with the character - so best we can get is 3+AS for our general? We aren't talking about this much, or maybe we have and I am missing it?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
Re: Monstrous Mounted Character armour save
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2024, 01:26:17 AM »
Why would the mount's armour value matter at all unless you are a wizard then?

It doesn't.

With Bedazzling Helmet being restricted to non-monsters, we are indeed capped at a 3+ armoursave on our Griffon-characters at best.

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2024, 01:35:49 AM »
It matters more if your heroes don't have access to full plate.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2024, 02:18:55 AM »
Still takes us from 2+ to 3+.
Not devastating, but compared to armies that ALSO get a regen save, its annoying because another point of benefit we had is removed.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2024, 02:13:52 PM »
Yeah if you can slap a 5+ regen on a character, that's a bigger defensive benefit than FPA vs heavy armor.

Which oddly leads to empire characters (traditionally not very damaging, but very well armored) being kinda squishy by comparison.

Offline Minsc

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2024, 02:22:32 PM »
To be fair, the spammable 5+ regen enchanted item for 20 pts in the HE army book shouldn't exist, or it at the very least it should 1) not be spammable and 2) be restricted to non-monsters in the same way as so many items and rules (like vows/gifts) where in the last FAQ.

No one should look at it as a guideline for balance. It's one of the most stupid items in the game; it's too cheap, it's spammable and it's an enchanted item instead of the more sensical talisman.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2024, 02:57:01 PM »
Does it suffer against magical or flaming attacks?

Offline sedobren

• Members
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 03:25:01 PM »
Does it suffer against magical or flaming attacks?

nope, it's an extremely common enchanted item that gives regeneration (5+) for 20 pts.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2024, 03:40:24 PM »
That is terrible. I thought that flaming attacks or magical attacks normally nullified the regen

Offline Minsc

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2024, 04:05:04 PM »
That is terrible. I thought that flaming attacks or magical attacks normally nullified the regen

Flaming only nullifies regen if you also have the flammable rule.
Magical attacks has nothing to do with regen, but does nullify wardsaves if you have the warpspawned(?) rule iirc.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2024, 04:47:54 PM »
Does it nullify the regen or the ward if you are warp spawned? I thought it was the regen?

Offline Minsc

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2024, 05:23:47 PM »
Does it nullify the regen or the ward if you are warp spawned? I thought it was the regen?

Oops, right you are.
Flaming attacks negates regen if you're Flammable.
Magic attacks negates regen if you're Warp-spawned.

Offline Skyros

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2024, 05:38:33 PM »
To be fair, the spammable 5+ regen enchanted item for 20 pts in the HE army book shouldn't exist, or it at the very least it should 1) not be spammable and 2) be restricted to non-monsters in the same way as so many items and rules (like vows/gifts) where in the last FAQ.

No one should look at it as a guideline for balance. It's one of the most stupid items in the game; it's too cheap, it's spammable and it's an enchanted item instead of the more sensical talisman.

I think O&G can also spam trollhide trousers for regen, and Chaos gets a 5 up regen item as well.
Of course, all the TK characters come with built in 5+ regen - although THEY at least, unlike everyone else, are flammable.

It's actually pretty surprising to me how many sources of 5+ regen there are in TOW. I seem to recall it being rarer before.

Online PowerSeries

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2024, 05:54:33 PM »
Yeah but trollhide trowsers are 40 points so it limits what else you can buy. 

Seed of rebirth is just half the points?

Offline Dazgrim

• Members
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2024, 10:05:10 PM »
Troll hide trousers are armour too, which also restricts who can have them.
Don't hug me I'm British, we only show affection to dogs and horses.

Grenzstadt stands.