home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296633 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Half-Orcs)
« Reply #975 on: July 17, 2017, 05:59:47 AM »
Well done! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Half-Orcs)
« Reply #976 on: July 17, 2017, 03:41:13 PM »
Very, very nice! And with a name and all, too. Looking forward to more mercenary mongrel mixtures  :eusa_clap:

Re Photobucket, I have a stay of execution until August 2018 as I'm already a subscriber (at the lowest level). Are you now posting images from your blog or something like that (my grasp of these things is limited)? Maybe this is the impetus to start a blog that I've always lacked?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Dem Bones, Dem Bones...)
« Reply #977 on: July 19, 2017, 08:02:03 PM »
Very, very nice! And with a name and all, too. Looking forward to more mercenary mongrel mixtures  :eusa_clap:

Re Photobucket, I have a stay of execution until August 2018 as I'm already a subscriber (at the lowest level). Are you now posting images from your blog or something like that (my grasp of these things is limited)? Maybe this is the impetus to start a blog that I've always lacked?

Yes, currently posting them from my blog, which is hosted at Blogger but uses my own URL. At some point I may just pay for some web hosting, so that way me & my images are portable and can be moved from service to service without breaking images at forums, etc. But for the moment, I appreciate the lazy convenience and portability of Blogger. I can log onto it from anywhere and post, without any special software or typing out a bunch of HTML & CSS tags, etc.

Speaking of...

I just posted a new blog entry that I'm not going to repeat here in its entirety. The gist is that I got my modest Bones 3 KS minis today, and couldn't wait to take some comparison pics with some of the other figures they will be used with in my collection/projects.

Full deal is here:

http://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/07/load-o-bones.html

But as a teaser, here's a pic of the my favorite from the bunch, the awesome horror that is.... GOREMAW!

GOREMAW!

GOREMAW!

I can't stop saying it. I'm going to change my own name to.....

GOREMAW!

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #978 on: July 21, 2017, 10:24:33 AM »
I also got Goremaw! (And a bunch of bones 3). I'm really looking forward to having him devour the enemy. Can't wait to see how you paint it!

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #979 on: July 21, 2017, 02:50:51 PM »
I hope I'm getting one! I think mine'll get painted purple, if so. Though sand worm or frost worm are also tempting...

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #980 on: July 21, 2017, 07:26:47 PM »
Sounds like you need two more worms.

Luckilly, Reaper has you covered...

Frost...
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/frost/sku-down/77183

Purple...
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/worm/sku-down/77006
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/worm/sku-down/03009

And.... "other"?
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/worm/sku-down/77375

I'm still thinking about mine. I'm thinking sort of dark/purple/red/black something, maybe.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #981 on: July 21, 2017, 08:40:33 PM »
I've been leaning towards a more 'fleshy' colored one. Like a giant worm from dune. Outside is normal fleshy and brown colors, with inside the maw being real crimson red and stark white teeth.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #982 on: July 21, 2017, 09:10:10 PM »
Ooh, instead of fleshy brown, you could do extremely pale and contrast it with that red mouth. Not exactly like tube worms, but with the same sort of visual impact. Like https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siboglinidae or http://c8.alamy.com/comp/AYRA3T/red-tubeworm-red-tube-worm-serpula-vermicularis-mediterranean-sea-AYRA3T.jpg

:ph34r:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Half-orc Shaman)
« Reply #983 on: July 22, 2017, 11:33:50 AM »
Picked up the figure I want to use for a half-orc shaman. Another Bob Olley sculpt for Reaper. The issue I've run into, though, is that he won't fit on a 20mm base and barely fits on a 25mm base. He's tentatively on a 40mm. Not sure how I will ultimately base him yet.

Still not certain on colors, either. Quite a busy figure.

Well, I do have one paintng & basing idea...

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Half-orc Shaman)
« Reply #984 on: July 22, 2017, 12:58:27 PM »
Would make a good Nagash - if you catch my drift...
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Hobbits, Goblins, Half-Orcs...)
« Reply #985 on: July 30, 2017, 05:35:24 AM »
If you mean like a young Nagash, then perhaps I do catch your drift.

Updates, of sorts....

Freed, the half-orc shaman. I've been working on a little fluff/backstory for him that may emerge at some point.

My next half-orc shaman... priestess or whatever.

I've been getting into the half-orc thing so much lately I'm thinking about picking up more from Black Tree. But I'd like some more variety too. It hit me that I'd love some half orc heads to put on various plastic kits -- Frostgrave, Perry, etc. to make some more near-human-ish minis. Since these heads don't -- as far as I know -- exist, I'm thinking about putting my own (very) modest sculpting & casting skills to the test.

For the moment, though, I have just speed-painted trial figures for two small units of scouts. Or should that be two units of small scouts? Whatevs.

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #986 on: July 30, 2017, 07:30:07 AM »
speed-painted you say. Pfff, sure rub it in! I'd be happy if my guys looked like this.

Your affection for half-orcs is taking over a bit. No more of the fimir in the pipeline?
« Last Edit: July 30, 2017, 07:32:29 AM by Naitsabes »
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #987 on: July 30, 2017, 11:49:22 AM »
Very nice.

Are the halflings wearing goblin skin shirts? That would be a turn around! ;)

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #988 on: July 30, 2017, 09:58:01 PM »
nice! steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #989 on: July 31, 2017, 01:12:46 AM »
Your affection for half-orcs is taking over a bit. No more of the fimir in the pipeline?

Sort of. I just got my Reaper Bones 3 KS reward, which included some of the orcs that I had planned on using for Fimir/Fomorian conversions. But you're right -- I should get back to some of the original projects I was planning, especially the one eyed swamp perverts. It's easy to stray from plans. The half-orcs were initially going to be an mercenary/ally unit. It just happened to grow to to plans for a larger force. :engel: For what it's worth, one of the major reasons I wanted them was as allies for the Fimir!

So... maybe after these two small scout units above, I will get back to Fimir/Fomorians?

Are the halflings wearing goblin skin shirts? That would be a turn around! ;)

Hah! Part of the speed painting process was sticking with a limited pallet of paints. I guess that looks a little odd. There is a little more variety in the hobbit units clothing, though. But I do almost like that idea. Last night after posting the pics I wrote out a little draft of the fluff for both units. The crux of it is that the gobbos moved into the area and started raiding settlements, and some of the hobbit victims formed a band to hunt them. That lead to an extended game/hunt of cat & mouse and the longer they spent in the wilderness, the more hobbits became almost as bad as the goblins -- demanding (or just taking) what they saw as just payment from whoever they pleased for their services in chasing the goblins away, losing some of the more civilized manners they started with, etc. Trophy taking might fit in. Actually wearing the skins of their rivals... not sure if that's one step too far.  :-D

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #990 on: July 31, 2017, 05:39:53 PM »
Hee hee, not really a serious suggestion, just a gentle dig over the pitfalls of using a limited colour palette ;)

I think goblin skin shirts is a bit much even for slightly feral halflings. Teeth necklaces, looted weapons and so on seem more suitable. I like the idea of good halflings gone a bit bad, though.  :eusa_clap:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #991 on: August 02, 2017, 03:05:28 AM »
I like the Westfalia goblin! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Looking forward to seeing more.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #992 on: August 04, 2017, 04:12:42 AM »
Eventually I will post a bit of backstory about these two units. I'm increasingly fond of creating a narrative behind the units I paint. These were painted with the idea of two rival units of scouts. One a group of bandits who appear suddenly, raid small settlements, then slip back into the woods. The other a group hunting them.

The B.F.G., lead by the Notorious G.O.B.
Mostly Westfalia steppe goblins, plus a couple of old plastic classics I recently found, lurlking in the background. (The latter don't really fit aesthetically and may end up being used elsewhere.)

Hawk's Blue Forrest Rangers
Black Tree Design minis, one of two flavors of halflings they sell.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 10:50:32 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Sergeant Henry

• Members
  • Koblenz / Germany
« Reply #993 on: August 04, 2017, 09:31:14 AM »
Fantastic miniatures - looking great - well done! :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
... and yes  :biggriin: ... they need a backstory! :icon_mrgreen:

Offline carturello

• Members
  • Tilean soldier, at your service.
« Reply #994 on: August 04, 2017, 09:52:30 AM »
Wow, I love when someone make great paint job and tale a BG story, great work man!  :eusa_clap:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #995 on: August 05, 2017, 02:12:10 AM »
I totally love that goblin unit, totally! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #997 on: August 05, 2017, 07:17:30 PM »
I've been wanting to get to work on the Westfalia halflings since I got them, but have been procrastinating (other than the crossbow unit) because of the bent spears & lances. So I finally tried hot & cold water (straight from the tap) to re-position one and it worked pretty well. Just straightened the goat knights lances and it was easier and quicker than expected. So... looks like hobbit's back on the menu boys!

Pic's a little dark, but wanted to post it because they're an Oldhammer paradox for some - old, but blobby plastics! My friends & I never would have gotten nearly as deeply into WFB if it wasn't for the Fantasy Regiments and Skeleton Army/Horde boxes when we were young. The armies in our group and at the two area game stores also reflected this. Almost everyone played armies that could be bulked out with a couple units of plastics.

I recently got these two goblins and a few of each of the others in a box of stuff I won on eBay, and it's a fun bit of nostalgia.

Offline carturello

• Members
  • Tilean soldier, at your service.
« Reply #998 on: August 05, 2017, 07:52:32 PM »
I admire your geen skin tone, how colors you use?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #999 on: August 13, 2017, 05:22:27 AM »
I admire your geen skin tone, how colors you use?

Cheap US craft paints. Americana brand. I forget the exact colors, but something like Dark Avacodo, Light Avacodo, etc. But I also use a thin black wash to start it off sometimes....  :|
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 03:05:37 PM by ZeroTwentythree »