The Empire at War ... The Gamers Guild > Other Fantasy Games ...

Lord of the Rings Battle Strategy Game

(1/3) > >>

KTG17:
Anyone playing the Middle Earth GW game? Or the previous edition?

This might come as a shock to some of you, but I had no idea what Lord of the Rings was prior to the 1st Peter Jackson film coming out. And when the fellowship went to the Mines of Moria, I realized where Dungeons and Dragons came from. I was stunned. The Mines of Moria is pretty much my favorite part of the three films. Anyway, I know WFB's roots are in Middle Earth but I have never really taken the time to learn more about it beyond the films. I've now gone down that rabbit hole and are pretty amazed how much there is to explore.

One of the new rulebooks involves 'Battle Companies' which reminds me a lot of Mordheim, which I wasn't expecting. It looks like GW has thrown a lot into this, but I haven't heard about much of a fan following. Anyone into this?

Rowsdower:
I was first introduced to LOTR when i was 9 or 10. The Hobbit was a compulsory book in primary school [along with Black Beauty, Treasure Island, Tom Sawyer, To kill a mockingbird etc]. It was about that time one of the high schools put on a play [a heavily condensed fifteen minute version].
Not long after that, i started renting [and trying to struggle through] the Ralph Bakshi animated version.

I hate to say it, but i started getting Fellowship fatigue when GW continuously crammed it down our throats and a film magazine i used to subscribe to had what seemed like compulsory blind praise articles for Peter Jackson.

Syphon:
Play? No, but I have Gondor men out the ayus. Even a limited edition banner bearer.

KTG17:

--- Quote from: Rowsdower on June 10, 2022, 02:35:19 PM ---I hate to say it, but i started getting Fellowship fatigue when GW continuously crammed it down our throats and a film magazine i used to subscribe to had what seemed like compulsory blind praise articles for Peter Jackson.

--- End quote ---

Yeah I agree. I didn't even really get into the game much while I was buying the starters, but I too went into fatigue in general. And I hated the Hobbit films. But for some reason LOTR has sparked some interest in me mostly for the characters/events not covered in the films. There is a lot of I have missed out on and I haven't even touched the The Silmarillion. The cool thing about these old books is that there are many audio books on Youtube so I can just play those while doing hobby stuff.

I will say this though, the map of Middle Earth is pretty terrible.

Anyway, I am going to fill out some of the gaps in my old collection here and there, but I like LOTR more for the adventures of the Fellowship, as opposed to battles between the various Good and Evil forces. I really think GW has done some nice work on Middle Earth, as I have just started looking at it after ignoring it, and I am impressed. But I dont want to go down that road. Except for the Battle Companies, I do think warband action in that setting is interesting.

Rowsdower:
^
My fellowship fatigue aside i think its still incredible that Peter Jackson was able to get the films made and turn a profit with them when so many people in the world at that point hadn't read the books.
I used to enjoy arguing with a friend who was a Tom Bombadil apologist that sticking Tom in the film would have bogged the film down and ruined the pacing.
Ontop of that, i NEVER TIRE of picking on the Hobbit trilogy: modern Hollywood in a nutshell

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version