home

Author Topic: "best" one-two punch with magic.  (Read 8099 times)

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
Re: "best" one-two punch with magic.
« Reply #25 on: April 30, 2011, 11:06:52 PM »
Lore of Metal is underrated, but sneaky powerful. It solves any and all heavily armored problems, and Final Transmutation is better than almost every other "Uber" spell, because it is equally effective regardless of stats.

Enchanted Blades makes every unit better, and is especially fun when cast on a HBVG.

Golden Scales turns your greatswords into Knights, and your Halberdiers into great swords.

And the Hex spell is subtle but very effective.
CannonofDoom spews his shit at me all the time and I haven't banned him.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2011, 01:34:05 AM »
I play regularly against three HE players (one who brings Teclis and doesn't see anything wrong with it), and the combo is ALWAYS a Lvl4 (or Teclis) w/Life and a Lvl2 w/Shadow for the signature. Every magic phase it's:

- Mystifying Miasma - Dweller's Below

Normally I still win, whether I'm playing my Empire or Chaos, but, to be honest, it's beginning to bore me . . . I'm slowy beginning to hate 8th and it's "I win" magic buttons . . .  :icon_rolleyes:
So, what would you guys do if some dude came at you with a belt that way?
Make sure I've got the safeword memorised.

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2011, 01:36:05 AM »
I like to bring HLR's just to discourage that nonsense. Especially when they bring the LVL4 with book of Hoeth, and I HLR him to death on turn one. They usually get pouty. It's glorious.

Offline Nexus

• Members
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2011, 10:28:19 AM »
I like spell combos that slow the enemy down. Flame cage, wind blast, shadow etc... Messes the enemy's movement up and lets me take the initiative.

Offline Cursain

• Members
« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2011, 12:20:21 PM »
I like to bring HLR's just to discourage that nonsense. Especially when they bring the LVL4 with book of Hoeth, and I HLR him to death on turn one. They usually get pouty. It's glorious.

What is an HLR again?

Cursain

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »
Normally I still win, whether I'm playing my Empire or Chaos, but, to be honest, it's beginning to bore me . . . I'm slowy beginning to hate 8th and it's "I win" magic buttons . . .
There are ways to counter these 'I win'-buttons, only maybe not against Teclis.

What is an HLR again?

Cursain
Helstrom Locket Rauncher.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2011, 12:31:09 PM by patsy02 »
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline galrion

• Members
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2011, 01:41:19 PM »

What is an HLR again?

Cursain

Hochland Long Rifle

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Imperial Tactician
  • Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2011, 05:07:00 PM »
The more I think about this thread (great question by the way), the more I am convinced that the best one-two punch with magic is not magic & magic but magic and another phase.

As stated previously, getting two magics spells off in a phase can be troublesome, especially on combos the opponent sees coming.

But magic combined with shooting or magic combined with some form of CC is where the one-two combos are truly synergistic.
   :smile2:
If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

Offline csjarrat

• Members
« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2011, 07:03:44 PM »
Best combo Ive used is miasma and iceshard blizzard. Being hit on 6s for the win :-)
Compared to the state troops they are a gentle handjob on a friday evening - jaggedjimmyj in ref to knights

Offline NewGuy

• Members
  • Unrepentant DoW player
« Reply #34 on: May 02, 2011, 02:35:39 AM »
I play regularly against three HE players (one who brings Teclis and doesn't see anything wrong with it), and the combo is ALWAYS a Lvl4 (or Teclis) w/Life and a Lvl2 w/Shadow for the signature. Every magic phase it's:

Normally I still win, whether I'm playing my Empire or Chaos, but, to be honest, it's beginning to bore me . . . I'm slowy beginning to hate 8th and it's "I win" magic buttons . . .  :icon_rolleyes:

Do you mean Enfeebling? Because as far as I can remember, Miasma and Dwellers have nothing to do with each other, and if your opponent says they do he's a dirty rotten cheater. Oh wait, he plays pansies so that goes without saying. ((Fantasy) Racial slurs for the win!)
I've dumped the plans of using Bretonnians. They suck.

Offline Ricardo-PB

• Members
  • Loves the smell of gunpowder in the morning.
« Reply #35 on: May 02, 2011, 07:25:09 AM »
This thread makes me happy. So much clever and useful banter!

I agree with H.H. Grenades notion with combining phases... but that begs the question which lore(x2?) with which phase?

Best combo Ive used is miasma and iceshard blizzard. Being hit on 6s for the win :-)

I would NOT have thought of that.

Awesome. I plan on fielding several of these for fluff reasons.

Oh, and @Texas Yankee, doesn't that make it NOT a "win button" since he loses?
Our skins may be thin, but, Our women are the finest, our armor the thickest, our spirits the strongest, and our weapons even stronger when we're filled with the spirit of alcoholic spirits and women! So sharpen your halberds, prime the guns, and remember that we fight the good fight for our Empire!

Offline GenOmar

• Members
« Reply #36 on: May 02, 2011, 05:42:52 PM »
Sword of Ruin+ Mortar will fry Dwarves and WoC!
Save the earth -- It's the only planet with chocolate!

Offline Scarr Gunliner

• Members
  • BRB at hand. If you want tactics, choose tactics.
« Reply #37 on: May 02, 2011, 05:47:43 PM »

Sword of Ruin + Okkam's + Spearmen = Dead Sphinx or about everything.
Although quite low, Marius look high and strong in his power. He has a worn hat on his head, which big folds fall down over his ears. He has a long grey cape that hangs over his body and makes it impossible to identify him without taking it off. His body is covered in fur and his hands is ethereal.

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #38 on: May 02, 2011, 06:08:16 PM »

Do you mean Enfeebling? Because as far as I can remember, Miasma and Dwellers have nothing to do with each other, and if your opponent says they do he's a dirty rotten cheater. Oh wait, he plays pansies so that goes without saying. ((Fantasy) Racial slurs for the win!)

You are correct sir, meant Enfeebling Foe. His Level 2 takes the Seer Staff, and away we go!

Offline TexasYankee

• Members
« Reply #39 on: May 02, 2011, 06:11:44 PM »
Oh, and @Texas Yankee, doesn't that make it NOT a "win button" since he loses?

Maybe against me and other experienced players (and I've still lost to it more than once), but where I play, we have a lot of 40K guys turning to Fantasy, and they are giving up on it because of situations mentioned.

Offline GenOmar

• Members
« Reply #40 on: May 02, 2011, 09:32:51 PM »

How about...Hammer of Sigmar + Wiz lvl 4:Fire = Toasty! :biggriin:
Save the earth -- It's the only planet with chocolate!

Offline Cannonofdoom

• Members
« Reply #41 on: May 03, 2011, 01:52:00 AM »

I'm always shocked that more High Elf players don't field great hordes of spear elves and throw mind razor on them. It would be brutal.

Offline csjarrat

• Members
« Reply #42 on: May 03, 2011, 07:21:25 AM »
It's because they're all too busy moaning about how awful their core is and how their forced to take 25% now, as apposed to the old x2 10 man archer squads
Compared to the state troops they are a gentle handjob on a friday evening - jaggedjimmyj in ref to knights

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #43 on: May 03, 2011, 09:40:49 AM »

I'm always shocked that more High Elf players don't field great hordes of spear elves and throw mind razor on them. It would be brutal.

It's what Fandir used against me at the Eurobash.

Never knew what hit me.
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #44 on: May 03, 2011, 09:58:04 AM »
So people don't like life lvl2?
No, all the good spells are high casting value. The low ones suck, and for high casting you'll also want the throne.

Death + Life is nice, but I mostly use Life (LVL4) and Beasts (LVL2, usually also a LVL1) nowadays.

Then again, those are pretty much the only lores I can take :wink:
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Eighty

• Members
« Reply #45 on: May 03, 2011, 10:18:31 AM »

great combo!  phas protection + speed  of light will usually do the same thing AND it can be done in a 12 inch aoe for 12+ cast and 16+ cast :D

my personal preference is light (lvl4) and beasts (lvl2), although i am a big fan of shadow and fire too (been working with wildform a lot, as most of my opponents are s4+ )

life is decent, but i just dont like taking it on anything less than a lvl 4 and then i still feel like he can be useless. if i wasnt so addicted to birona/speed of light/pha i would definitely take a lvl 4 fire wizard. i loved the sword of ruin idea on a mortar
haha i might just try this in my next army.

i try to fit a lvl 4 and lvl 2 in no matter what the rest of my composition is (pop mobile, arty light/heavy, 6 spells imo is definitely valuable)

i have always wanted to try heavens, but can never drop my favourites when its time to decide.
Trumpets sound around me, the wind blowing through my hair, as fellow gamers look in awe at my Army, secretly wishing they chose empire instead of their stupid rats

Offline csjarrat

• Members
« Reply #46 on: May 03, 2011, 11:20:16 AM »
i would never recommend taking heavens on anything higher than a lvl2 (unless you're a high elf with the seerstaff) the sig spell is the best in the game imo, as its easy to cast and helps against warmachines,bs shooting, cc attacks and making any LD test that much harder to pass. the rest of the spells can be a bit 'meh'

Offline Eighty

• Members
« Reply #47 on: May 03, 2011, 11:41:38 AM »
i played a few team battles with a lizard vs the armies of darkness and well, lets just say i am TERRIBLE at placing the comet.

we got 3 comets off and none of them hit much, sad to say i contributed to 2 of the fail decisions.

chain lightning can be great though! specially vs smaller blocks of elite troops ala WoC or high elves
Trumpets sound around me, the wind blowing through my hair, as fellow gamers look in awe at my Army, secretly wishing they chose empire instead of their stupid rats

Offline csjarrat

• Members
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2011, 12:07:54 PM »
i played a few team battles with a lizard vs the armies of darkness and well, lets just say i am TERRIBLE at placing the comet.

we got 3 comets off and none of them hit much, sad to say i contributed to 2 of the fail decisions.

chain lightning can be great though! specially vs smaller blocks of elite troops ala WoC or high elves
this has also been my experience. i use the comet more as area denial. even orcs dont want to be standing under that marker in case it comes down on their heads. it tends to come down on turn 5 for me though, well after anything of importance is nearby.

chain lightning is ok, but damage-wise it hardly stands up to even a few fireballs. there aren't enough D6 hits for it to really be worth casting it at such a high level imho.
against WOC id rather take metal. i know i'm gonna mince those chosen with the sig spell, let alone the higher casts.

Offline RobertShepherd

• Members
  • They told me there would be candy.
« Reply #49 on: May 03, 2011, 01:29:55 PM »
I've been working on a concept recently that uses a level 4 heavens wizard. I don't have a catchy name for it yet, but basically, it's designed to get mileage out of the fact that harmonic convergence is the only offensive buff that can be cast in a 12" bubble that also benefits war machines. Re-rolling 1s to hit and wound begins to add up when you fire off two helblasters, two mortars, two cannons, a rocket battery... (ok, I don't actually use that much, because I'm testing at 2,000 points - but it only get better, the higher you go).

To make sure you get convergence off, you basically force the enemy to throw dispel dice stopping chain lightning and/or comet of cassandora and/or thunderbolt and/or iceshard blizzard. All of these excel at being high-priority dispel targets (nobody wants a comet  to stall their advance when the artillery is raining down, or a thunderbolt on their small, elite unit, or a chain lightning ever).

Plus,  once combat hits, you can just keep casting convergence and blizzard. It's not quite as good as some of the other buffs in the game for our low-stat empire troops (convergence becomes better the more accurate/strong/high armour your troops are) but between it and blizzard you can certainly swing combats your way, while the battery continues to fire at whatever it can.

I haven't had much of a chance to try it out yet so I can't say for sure whether I'm on to something, but the use I have had with it has been reasonably positive.