home

Author Topic: Finaly bought the book... and I love it... but...  (Read 5308 times)

Offline WallyTWest

• Members
  • 'Lux Mundi'
Finaly bought the book... and I love it... but...
« on: September 05, 2012, 02:48:29 PM »
Why no Halflings or Imperial Ogres... heck, a Giant would have been nice. Wizard war wagons... but no regular war wagons?

1996 was the 4th edition book release, and I feel like they are still living in the shadow of this text nearly 20 years latter.

***EDIT***

Yea... the crazy thing is its so good looking. This is a fine damn book. So close yet so far....
« Last Edit: September 05, 2012, 02:50:50 PM by WallyTWest »
It’s all about Renaissance Punk.

Offline Boreas_NL

• Members
Re: Finaly bought the book... and I love it... but...
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 03:23:43 PM »
They could indeed have done a much, much, much better job... While the new book could count as servicable (which is high praise coming from me as I actually think the new book is utter $#@*& and the previous book was a lot better) there were so many great rumours which turned out to be, well, just rumours... There was talk about Imperial Dwarfs, Ogres and Halflings, the inclusion of a true War Wagon, Knights on foot and even a Siege Cannon. And what do we get? A couple of utterly lame Wizard Mobiles and a book to match.

If you judge a book by it's cover, this is one fine book... If you look any further than it's cover you'll be very disapointed: a lot of recycled artwork, little to no new fluff (a lot is just copy-paste from the previous one), a lot of flavourful options, magic items and rules scrapped for the sake of 8th ed. uniformity, an overall 20-25% increase in points and the general decrease of effectiveness... No ammount of new Witch Hunters or Demi Gryphs (about the only good new things to be found in the new book) will make up for all the stuff they screwed up (and that's before you get me started on the obvious nerfs, which are plenty)...

Heck, even Hold The Line is not in our favour (sure it can be, but to me it's not all good)... It just prevents your guys to run away so they can be slaughtered where they stand, saving your opponent the bother of running after them... And they even charge you extra points for that!

It all leads me to believe that the book was written by someone who has no love/understanding for The Empire whatsoever. Someone who's Grey Seer has been on the receiving end of an Hochlander Longrifle headshot from an Outrider Champion one too many times and decided our guys needed to be thouroughly screwed over...

At the time the book was released I seriously considered shelving my entire army and dusting off my Dwarfs... I curse myself for liking my army too much to be able to do just that. During the last couple of months I've played numerous games (both large and small) and I have found most changes made were for the worse while the improvements are few and far between. You can't kill as many enemies at range and there are fewer men awaiting when they reach your lines... Still, some of the new mini's are actually quite nice...

My bases are for sale/trade! Interested? Hit me with a PM!
http://toysoldiersofftowar.blogspot.nl/

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2012, 06:54:17 AM »
I for one am glad that we didn't get halflings, fat halflings and Ogres. Even tho' we used to have them.

On the other hand the book is bland. Very bland. We haven't gotten weaker, not at all, but I find that our choices are more limited than they used to be. Things that needed fixing to be useful didnät get them, but the things needing to be toned down were too much toned down.

And I agree, Hold the line isn't worth the points.
Archaon, The Everchosen, is one of two openly homosexual special characters in the world of warhammer. The other, of course, is Queek Headtaker.

Offline WallyTWest

• Members
  • 'Lux Mundi'
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2012, 03:19:02 PM »
Wow... I actually really loved "Hold The Line". I thought it was an elegant solution to the "leadership problem" that the empire seemed to suffer from. (Ie, fluff and game background vs. ingame stats)

The army even feels costed correctly as my understanding of warhammer points system. The book is gorgeous... But I will say it again, I feel like there where some units that where left out.

I feel like writing a "Warhammer-Empire.com Supplement"
It’s all about Renaissance Punk.

Offline TheBelgianGuy

• Members
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 05:10:23 PM »
I thought the Grand Master getting an extra Ballistic SKill and the Master Engineer robo-horse getting a nerf were both really hilarious and a good view into crudface's warped little mind.

Other than that I haven't got much good to say though.

Offline Boreas_NL

• Members
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2012, 10:21:01 AM »
Well, while we didn't get any weaker per se, at least not that much, we certainly didn't get stronger... Almost every single unit entry got more expensive: across the entire army you're looking at a 15-25% increase in points (with nothing to show for it). Only some Characters got a bit cheaper, but some at great cost (loss of special rules)...

My bases are for sale/trade! Interested? Hit me with a PM!
http://toysoldiersofftowar.blogspot.nl/