home

Author Topic: background story province of brabant (dutch province)  (Read 2430 times)

Offline count von geene

• Members
  • elector count antonius von geene of s-hertogenbosc
background story province of brabant (dutch province)
« on: August 23, 2011, 12:33:59 PM »
hi ppl,

i'm new to the empire (as a army) and new to this forum, but thought it would be fun to post the background of my army here...
first off: my army is based upon the dutch province ''noord-brabant'' were my grandfather is originaly from. the war colours of brabant are white &blue (i know, also the colours of an empire province already...) so, thats the way ima going to paint my army of brabant :).

well, lets start with the background:

elector count antonius von geene, mayor of s-hertogenbosch, and count of brabant
            the story:he is named after my grandfather, anton van geene. antonius von geene is known as a count which is extremely skilled as an engineer, he was the one to create the handgun (i know, that was someone else...) and the mortar! he is also a great general, but there are better swordmasters in his province. he's elector count for about 25 years now. he's famed a lot for stopping WAAAGH! grimgor in its tracks by sneaky deployment of his personal guard, von geene's own. the barony of s-hertogenbosch exists out of count martinus le franc countess maria von geene rules the rich town vught. jester schalbes is the general of the militie of brabant!
the real story:i thought making him a skilled engineer was a cool idea as my grandfather helped building the first sewerage of the netherlands. the countess maria van geene is named after my grandmother, which worden in a hospital all her life. martinus le franc is named after my father martien van geene, and the general roelant is named after my brother!

the militie of brabant
von geene's own

von geene's own is a regiment 30 greatswords which have been trained to guard the count when he travels to other provinces. they are skilled men, all hand picked by the count. countes maria von geene also has a similiar regiment, maria'angels, which are 10 knights of the inner circle.

von geene's fury

this is a 20 men regiment of swordsmen, which are stationed at saint peter's church, were arch lector markus altsom houses, every sunday, count von geene goes there, and asks the lector to pray for him. the swordsmen are always in front of the door, nobody can get in there without passing them!

the sureshots

this is a 10 man regiment of handgunners, stationed at the castle. they got the newest model of handgun, the pt-43, which is at the moment being improved by the count himself, all the men are skilled. they are a few of the best shots of the province

the hunters

a 10 men unot of huntsmen, which guard the wooden border, when they see enemys sneaking in, they cause trouble, while another men moves to the closest count, lord captain or general to tell them to mobilise a force.

the free company

these are fired soldiers from other provinces, trying to find a job here, they try to fight as close to a captain or general as posible, hoping to be picked as a proffesionel soldier once again.

old reliable

old reliable is an old helblaster volley gun, which guards the castle of countess maria. it serves for  a mere 28 years, so why they choose that name is bizare...

well this is it for now, hope you like it, wheni'v got more than 4 reactions of people who like it, i will go on with the story

p.s. if my english is bad, tell me and i will try to imorove it,  C&C welcome :::cheers:::
it's easy to say the seamonster is a myth, until you feel 3000 pounds of myth crashing down on your ship

elector count antonius von geene of s-hertogenbosch, lord of the province of brabant.

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
Re: background story province of brabant (dutch province)
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 01:12:34 AM »
Your english is bad.

hahaha just kidding, I like the background start, but where is it?

When I did my province of Stattenland, I looked through the various maps of the empire(although in hindsight I should of chosen a named town already, so much easier) and chose a spot that I liked(in between middenland and hochland) and went from there so that gave me a feel for the country and made it easier to write about and picture.
Its in the northern empire so many of the people are hardy, northern types, fond of hunting and other sports like that, while my characters (the Contyre family) are stubborn, easily angered and other northenr traits.

The best thing you can do is read through the other background stuff on here to get inspiration for writing your background more, flesh it out a bit(by the way, mine isn't finished yet so don't get up me  :engel:) and invent personalities for your characters, why they fight, how they came to be the rulers, what the soldiers are like, what do the towns look like, are your people rich or are they poor?

Do you have a knightly order in one of your towns that help protect it?

When I eventually get back on to mine you will see what I mean
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline GCMan123

• Members
  • Orange looks good on me
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2011, 04:23:18 AM »
You know there's a lot of great opportunities for an army based on the Golden Age Netherlands, which is where my army is centered. I'm a history teacher and the curator of the Fort Orange site museum right by Albany, NY. My chief area of interest is from Flanders down to Brabant and almost to French Picardy in the 16th and 17th centuries. If you ever want help making Brabant come alive for your army as it was, you can contact me. I'm not much better than yourself at the Empire. I try though, mostly I just work with Marienburg.

Offline Burgermeiser

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 05:57:32 AM »
Hey! A fellow Dutchman! (Well I'm of Dutch descent at least. Ancestors came over to America in 1650 from Haarlem, the Van Hise family) I'm doing a Nordland/Marienburg themed army, which is based off the real world Netherlands/Belgium area (actually I think they based Nordland off a mix of Denmark and Netherlands, while Marienburg is akin to Amsterdam).
"To reign in Averland, you must be as mad as an Elector. Which, fortunately, I am!"-Marius Leitdorf (Viscilitudes of Count Averland, Chapter VII, Paragraph XIV)

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 12:23:26 PM »
Noord-Brabant - which is in the south of the Netherlands. Maybe a clue what it really belongs to?  :icon_wink:
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)