home

Author Topic: City State of Myrmidens  (Read 10071 times)

Offline Keldmann

• Members
City State of Myrmidens
« on: October 30, 2012, 06:30:00 PM »
Myrmidens, SPQM - Senatus Populusque Myrmides

Colours: Dark blue and yellow
Population: 7.000 in the city, another couple of thousand in the upland
Economy: Prosperous
Main sectors: Trade and boatbuilding
Minor sectors: Agriculture and fishing¨

Map of the region:

History, Imperial Calender:
-1000, Founded as a Tilean colony.

-237 to 3, Years of Achaes Hegemony

3 to 760, Years of Reman Hegemony

760 to 772, Independence war sparked by Tilean Civil war

772, The Independent City state of Myrmidens is created and the Senate established, Myrmidia made patron of the city, the Recruitment Act is agreed upon in the Senate, stating that every household with at male heir to carry on the name must, in times of war, supply the army with one heavy or light (shielded or not) pike man.

775 to 999, “1.st Age of Peace”, Consolidation and peace under Senate rule and with Myrmidias blessing

999, Myrmidens assist Reman Legions against an invading horde of Greenskins

1160, The Port of Myrmidens is hit by a giant wave, leaving it destroyed and useless. The Senate orders a new and modern trading port build further south.

1492, “Age of Exploration” Philip the Bold returns for his expedition to the far-east, with him is black powder weapons, spices and silk.

1608, “2.nd Age of Peace”, Convoys to and from the far-east is now a regular sight in the port of Myrmidens, the goods are exported to Tilea and by the river Yetzin to Mortensholm and from there on to the Empire. The city is growing and the first professional regiments are established.

1960 to 1964, “The Orc Wars” Another Greenskin invasion rolls over the Black Peninsula, many battles are fought and lost, and in 1964 the Greenskins is only days away from the upland around Myrmidens, the Myrmidens Greataxes volountier to hold back the Greenskins, in order to buy time for the peasants around Myrmidens to get inside the walls. In the battle that followed every man in the Greataxe regiment was killed, but the time they bought with their lives was enough to save hundreds of peasant lives, the legend says that with his last swing of the axe the sergeant wounded the Orc Warboss so heavily that he could not be saved, this power vacuum made the orcs turn on one another and the horde slowly disbanded or died.

1964 to 2457, “3.rd Age of Peace”, with the Orc Wars over the peace and prosperity returned to the Black Peninsula. During the “Wizard Wars” most of the Border Princes is in turmoil and refugees flood the Black Peninsula, increasing the population of Myrmidens twofold. The Melissian and Portus quarters of the city is founded.

2457 to 2491, “The Pirate Age”, with the decline of Arabys power in the Border Princes the Arabian changes their methods, and begins attacking and capturing trading convoys in the Black Gulf. The Myrmidian Fleet starts to protect the trading convoys to ensure the trade routes are open.

2491 to now, “Troublesome times”, with the Arabian pirates no longer a great threat the city’s wealth grew once again, the import of species and silk as well as black powder earns the merchants large profits. But outside the Black Peninsula and the trade routes dark powers are on the rise, sightings of Beastmen in the Black Mountains and nearby forests increases and the Greenskins in the badlands muster their forces.

Religion:
During the independence war in the later part of the 8th century, the people of Myrmidens worshiped a whole range of Gods, and mystical creatures. But as the war progressed and more citizens took their turn in the regiments to defend the city, the worship of Myrmidia grew. The goddess of the science and art of warfare spoke to the people more than the northern Ulric, whose views on war are limited to brute force and the fury of battle.

Some soldiers became so entwined with the worship of Mymidia, that they never returned to their normal life but instead began a life as priests and prophets. Back in the field these soldiers would often band together, and form whole regiments of fighting clergymen, fighting with the strength and wisdom unmatched by the other citizens.

After the long stride for independence, in which these regiments of Myrmidia had become known for their skill and bravery in battle, the Senate honored both them and Myrmidia herself, by declaring her the patron god of Myrmidens.

In the ages of peace the regiments of Myrmidia have lost their strength, but the most zealous men have established the Order of Myrmidia, which still honor the warrior clergy. In times of war these fanatic priest will join the regular citizen’s regiments to inspire bravery and sacrifice for the greater good.

Among the richest merchants, whose ancestors has served as leaders in the bygone ages, the worship of Myrmidia has also settled and has led to the creation of the Knightly Order “Sons of Myrmidia”. These heavy knights fights with lance and sword, on top of heavily armored steeds, and has sworn their lives to protect the city.

Military organization:
The three tiers:

1. Citizen troops, every household provides a man with pike, light armor and sometimes shields, these are banded together depending on where they live and choose their own sergeant.

2. Professional troops, standing army of Myrmidens, mostly using black powder weapons imported from the empire or the far-east. Contains the artillery section of the army

3. Elite soldiers, the Sons of Myrmidia, the Myrmidian Greataxes known as "The Peoples Guard" and the warrior priests.

Unofficial tier 0, detachments consisting of people form The Melissian and Portus quarters of the city, such as Tilean immigrant Crossbows, Imperial immigrant Helbardiers and immigrants from the rest of the Border Princes, serving as archers.

Famous regiments:
”The Peoples Guard” – The elite infantry of Myrmidens, famous for their battles in the Orc Wars especially for holding the orcish horde long enough for the evacuation of the civilians around Myrmidens in 1964. They now carry this year on their banner to remember that day.

“Myrmidons” – Regiment composed of the youngest sons of the households around the dockyards, this regiment, is one of the best trained and equipped of the citizen troops due to their wealth and prestige of their merchant fathers. As the only regiment armed with swords and shields rather than pikes they are eager to prove their worth and fight in close hand to hand combat with any invader.

"Sons of Myrmidia" – Regiment composed of the first born form the most prestigious houses, these heavy knights fights with lance and sword, on top of heavily armored steeds, and has sworn their lives to protect the city.

House rules for tabletop gaming:

Fluff Restrictions:
Wizards’ combined level may not exceed 4 (Fluff will be added to religion)
Warrior Priests are 1+
Archers, Crossbows and Halberdiers a detachment only
Max 1 unit of Knights ("Sons of Myrmidia")
Max 1 unit of Swordsmen (“Myrmidons”)
Greataxes must have standard

If allowed by opponent:
Warrior Priest can serve as BSB

Light Cannons with the following profile:
Point cost: 75
Rules:
Act as regular cannon in rulebook (s 5 not s 10)
May move and fire

Pike men with following changes to spearmen profile:
Point cost: 10
Rules (only to the front):
Strikes first (right after impact hits) if charged
Fight in 2 extra ranks (4 normal, 5 horde)
Require 2 hands

This is my latest project, after returning to warhammer 3 months ago and playing 10 games with my greenskins, I feel like starting an army with some identity and fluff, so I made this. Any comments and criticism is welcome
« Last Edit: November 02, 2012, 08:11:08 AM by Keldmann »

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
Re: City State of Myrmidens
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2012, 10:38:49 PM »
This looks good Keldmann,

I'd always wondered about how a city in the border princes had so many people, and now I know :p.

If you want to, there has been heaps of background written about the border princes from the Treachery&Greed campaign a few years back(can't beleive its been that long), but as far as I know not much has been written about Myrmidens.
When I began writing background for my border princes campaign, I never sort of looked at Myrmidens. Though now I look at it, mostly because in treachery&greed it was called redrock.
It got taken over by orcs lol.

But that is not official stuff. I look forward to seeing some colour schemes of your army and how you represent the pikemen :)

If you want to, can I include your city in my Kingdom of Onore fluff?
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Keldmann

• Members
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2012, 09:29:30 AM »
Hey Derek,

First of all thank you for the comments :) I will take a look at the Treachery&Greed campaign...

I plan on using Warlord and Perry Miniatures form the War of the Roses range, since they are cheap and have the pikes and muskets I am looking for.
Paint scheme will be Swedish Empire/Nordland, with some roman and Greek references, such as "SPQM" thrown in.

If you want to include the Myrmidens in your fluff you are more than welcome :)

Offline Derek Contyre

• Members
  • Duke of Nueremburg
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2012, 01:57:07 PM »
Hey Derek,

First of all thank you for the comments :) I will take a look at the Treachery&Greed campaign...

I plan on using Warlord and Perry Miniatures form the War of the Roses range, since they are cheap and have the pikes and muskets I am looking for.
Paint scheme will be Swedish Empire/Nordland, with some roman and Greek references, such as "SPQM" thrown in.

If you want to include the Myrmidens in your fluff you are more than welcome :)

Hey no problem :)

Any new people writing stories nearby where I claim my land I try to talk to lol.

Yeah I bought a bunch of perry guys... 240 models to be exact. I wanted alot of Pikemen and halberds.
But specifically pikemen.

Can you define Swedish Empire/Nordland?

Ok, will do, it won't be much, most likely just acknowledging the places existence.  :engel:
A man who builds his army around his fluff . . . respect . . .  :::cheers:::

Offline Keldmann

• Members
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2012, 02:27:36 PM »
Yes, I have yet to see how the models actually look like (due to my order not being shipped yet), and how much of a standardized uniform they have, but I think it will be along these lines:

http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/militaria/uni_i_m_m1706c.jpg
http://www.algonet.se/~hogman/militaria/uni_i_m_m1706b.jpg
http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/254/swedenew6.jpg

If they are not as standardized as that, then more along the standard Nordland, yellow and blue in opposite quarters.
Like this:
http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/124591/m2470010_Nordland_art.jpg

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2012, 05:53:20 PM »
It is not, I will admit, the first thing I would have thought of - the Sparta expy of Mrymidens being Scandinavian in look! But you have certainly done a great deal of work on it, and the history seems very solid and quite believable, and the uniform designs look good.

"My" Myrmidens is a Classical Greek expy, with the Mighty & Well-Oiled Pektoral Warriors and various other city-states. Yours is much more historically advanced than that, of course.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Keldmann

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »
Yeah I know that the Scandinavian touch dosn't spring to mind as the first when you hear Myrmidens, but to be fair it is only the flag and uniforms, every thing else is based on a city states which could be a mix of old Greece fighting style (citizen pikemen), Roman Republic symbolism and Venetian wealth - All in all a nice blend of everything from Greek Polis states to the renaissance, which is what I am aiming for.

The flag and color is just there because I wanted to do a Gustav Vasa army, but didn't liked the Nordland fluff...

But thank you for the comment, do you have any pictures of this Classic Greek army, I would love to see it :)

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2012, 09:33:57 PM »
Haven't really done anything with the army of Myrmidens - my army (link in sig) is an Imperial Crusader force based nearby. I am putting together a unit of Pektoral warriors, however - just because I liked the models :) I have a fair few mythical & classic Greek models in the army, but the army isn't really that as a whole.

I'll try to get some more pics of the Pektoral Warriors posted - the unit is really coming together.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Keldmann

• Members
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 08:11:52 AM »
Changes made to religion and famous regiments

Added house rules, comments will be most welcome.