home

Author Topic: 100 Days of Hobby 2020 ...  (Read 71236 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: 100 Days of Hobby 2020 ...
« Reply #975 on: August 09, 2020, 07:19:33 PM »
Well done GP and Artoban on finishing off the event with a join unboxing. That was a pretty brilliant idea.

I timed things out to end things by having a game with my brother. In fact, I managed to have two! We started yesterday on Day 100 and finished today. We started off with a warhammer 40k game, his Salamanders (Soon to be mine because he's getting out of the hobby) vs my Imperial Guard secessionists. After we fought to a bloody draw, I convinced him to have a quick 1000 pt 8th edition Fantasy game with me. My Dwarves vs a borrowed Orc army. The Dawi emerged victorious an hour ago! A great way to finish off 100 days of hobbying.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #976 on: August 09, 2020, 07:24:03 PM »
Nothin like a good ol ork stompin to rev you up!

Congrats Gankom. Nice run
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #977 on: August 09, 2020, 08:59:47 PM »
Congrats Gankom!  Sounds like a fun time! :icon_mrgreen: :::cheers:::

- - -

Updating ...

Friday ... Day 99

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Rowsdower, Artoban, Gankom, GP, Padre, Realjuan, Mids

5 Days Per Week ... Zygmund

3 Days Per Week ... SKS, Novogord

(Those reporting in are bolded.)

Last Day ...

Saturday ... Day 100

100 Days of Hobby (every day) ... Artoban, GP, Gankom, Rowsdower, Padre, Realjuan, Mids

5 Days Per Week ... Zygmund

3 Days Per Week ... SKS, Novogord

(Those reporting in are bolded.)
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 12:17:17 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #978 on: August 09, 2020, 09:06:10 PM »
Been having a slow bummer of a day, barely getting much done.  Have been tempted to go do some hobby stuff just to brighten my mood.

It is amazing how healthy this 100 Days of Hobby has been for me.  There has been something about taking myself away from all the stress of personal and professioonal responsibilities, a little each day, and then on top of the covid 19 crud too.

There also seems to be something about getting something constructive done at the same time as taking my mind off all the crud.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #979 on: August 10, 2020, 04:43:20 AM »
Let me think about what I accomplished over the last 100 days

I painted the last half of the plague beast army
Added and painted 3 regiments to the chaos undivided army
Based the khorne knights army
Painted about a dozen Howling Griffons [howling griffon output was slow due to the difficult colour scheme]
Finished the 'Abandoned' diorama
Nearly finished a Hotchkiss tank [put on hold due to missing track links]
AND halfway through the 'Ultimate' Panzer 2 diorama
I also did a lot of other ancillary things

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #980 on: August 10, 2020, 11:52:09 AM »
Week 14:
Friday 31th & Sunday 2th:
I worked more on my Nominios Occulum. I wasn't quite happy with my previous colour choices, so I had to go back and change them... Now it looks more like I imagined it, still not quit finished, but I hope it will be done by the end of the week as a nice finish for the 100th day :-)

Monday 3th:
I'm still painting bronze on this bugger. There are so many parts to be done in this color and every time I think: 'Ok, that was the last part.' I see some new detail that has to be done.
Then I have to paint the white stone parts, some of the decorations,... and after al this is done, I can go on and wash the whole thing.

Wednesday, Tuesday, Friday & Saturday:
With the hot weather outside, I had to stay inside, so I could work a little bit more on the miniatures.
And I finished the Nominios Occulum saturday afternoon. I'm glad it is done!
I also started some terrain pieces and repaired one that our little son destroyed....
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
« Reply #981 on: August 10, 2020, 11:54:25 AM »
And I want to tank GP for the organisation of this "100 days". I hope to keep it up in the weeks and months following this, because it gave me a lot more hobby time! And just with the correct planning and not just sitting in the couch watching tv.

I finished different projects, but still are more to come! One day it will al be finished, but probably my pile of shame will stay (hopefully a little smaller :-) )

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #982 on: August 10, 2020, 12:26:51 PM »
Congrats to Rowsdower and Novogrod ... updated above. :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

- - -

Took yesterday off from hobbying, but it didn't feel like a reward.  Probably needed the break, although have found the hobbying every day to be cathartic as well.  It was a bummer to lose Realjuan and Midaski in the final weeks, and even Padre appeared to fade a bit, and I hope all of them are doing ok.  This pandemic stuff has taken its toll on everyone, and it isn't out of the way yet.

In interacting with the lady on the dance lessons, she seems to have found another guy she's interested in currently, so that exchange of emails was quick ... lol.  There was another one further back who had contacted me, and when I looked, she hadn't returned my last communication, so I sent another just in case her world has turned bad, but I don't expect much there ... lol.

I need to turn to various items today, Monday is upon us!  Will probably pull up my to do list for this 100 Days of Hobby again, and see if much changed since the last update a week or two back, probably not.  Need to re-evaluate the list and the projects, see what might be accomplished next, once I am feeling up to it or else else force myself back into hobby items, and see what more stress relief that might achieve. :icon_cool:
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 06:13:34 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #983 on: August 10, 2020, 06:15:31 PM »
And I want to tank GP for the organisation of this "100 days". I hope to keep it up in the weeks and months following this, because it gave me a lot more hobby time! And just with the correct planning and not just sitting in the couch watching tv.

I finished different projects, but still are more to come! One day it will al be finished, but probably my pile of shame will stay (hopefully a little smaller :-) )
Ah!  You and the rest of the gentlemen here are very welcome.

I have been contemplating an idea off inspiration from your comments and probably starting a new thread soon! :icon_mrgreen: :::cheers:::

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #984 on: August 11, 2020, 01:32:26 AM »
Excellent job GP getting this running. I have to go back and check, but I believe I got nearly every day done with something, even if it was minor. The thread was almost all the motivation to do that.

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #985 on: August 11, 2020, 05:38:22 AM »
Great job GP, I dont think I did  as much hobby last year than in the last 100 days. It also change where, how, and when I do hobby stuff. My desk has my hobby more accessible, I have now try to do it after dinner and sitting together with Mrs.Realjuan. Lots of improvements, so thanks for the motivation.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #986 on: August 14, 2020, 01:20:28 PM »
Pulled out the list below and placing it here so I don't need to dig on this thread so much for this ...

With the last days of this 100 Days of Hobby in motion and it ending on Saturday August 8th, I went back and took a look at the list I had made early on this thread.  Below I have bolded what has been completed or seen an effort.

Go thru all my paints for seeing what I might order.
Complete WotRs list of nobles, their liveries, and their badges for 1st battle of St. Albans and Blore Heath.
Paint 8mm Perry Napoleonics.
Clean and paint 20 Border Reiver figures.
Finish gluing Tower back together for use with Border Reivers, and maybe fantasy too.
Start constructing more 28mm Perry WotRs and Euro Mercs, prime them, and get busy painting them for use with Lion Rampant.
Organize ACW figures into units to use with the rules called Longstreet and get cleaning, constructing, and painting them.
Clean, prime, and paint 28mm AW French & Indian War figures for Rebels and Patriots.
Partially, but more to Organize my WFB Empire figures and see what can get completed, and put paint on some of them!
Make some scenery pieces for all sorts of uses.
Get in some more games via Zoom ... had two with Artoban and Gankhom, and a few with nephews and two newer friends to the hobby.
Partially, but more to do for Set up a campaign idea or two for reason to make scenery and play games.
Create table maps for a 1st Battle of St. Albans campaign.
Create scenery for a Blore Heath scenario.

And who knows what else I might come up with along the way.
Started after the fact ... Created and began to run a role playing campaign for nephews, prepping for 40K 9th Edition by reading rules and getting out Orks.

I am sure there have been a few other items along the way, and so far quite satisfied with my progress so far.
Contemplating the creation of a new list that shows only the items on this list that still need to be completed, and perhaps add some new ones.

Also considering doing some sort of Hobby Project "To Do" list thread.  It wouldn't be a place to list every hobby project that I have on my shelves needing completion.  That could be encyclopedic in length!  And who in their right mind would want to create something like that? Or read it or try to work off of it's gargantuan size?  That might be self defeating quickly. Definitely not a good idea. :icon_lol:

Anyway ... I noticed that there wasn't much additional completed that isn't already covered on the list from about the last 2 weeks back of end of the 100 Days of Hobby 2020 project.   I recall working on some of the ones that weren't completed, and also getting through most of the new 9th edition 40K rules too.  Overall, not a bad effort, and I am glad so much was accomplished along the way. :icon_cool:

Ah! And almost forgot ... unboxed the Star Wars: Clone Wars starter set, the Warcry starter set, and the 9th edition 40K Indomitus starter set.  It was like Christmas!  In August! :icon_mrgreen:
« Last Edit: August 14, 2020, 01:28:06 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #987 on: August 15, 2020, 08:42:59 AM »
Yes great work GP! Loved to get in 3 hobby momnts in the week! Participating in 12 months hobby on a English Discord server also and this helped to get going for that as well, setting monthly (adjustable) goals and using these 3 days a week to keep at it.

Managed to read through Psychic Awakening books Engine War and War of the Spider during my week holiday!
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 08:46:29 AM by StealthKnightSteg »
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #988 on: August 19, 2020, 03:32:09 PM »
Congratulations to everyone who participated, and especially to those who saw it through until the end.

Which didn't include me.  :engel:

I actually made it to day 59, but I don't think I recorded it as it was the day after my PC died again. That was a Saturday, and I did a few bits on the  Sunday, but then I had some bad personal news which hit a bit hard.

I retired some 3 years ago and the room that was my office is about 8' x 8' and has built in desking and shelves around 3 sides - nowadays it houses the home finances, and my model preparation area. Those of you who witnessed the background on the last Zoom call will now get a much better view as I have since got a fancy new camera.
Anyway the point was since I retired I had been meaning to have a clear-out and a sort-out of loads of paperwork and sundry other items which were of no further need or use.

So following the Sunday downer, I decided to throw myself into the sort-out.
I went through filing, and shredded sacks of confidential stuff, and binned piles of other useless paper. Cabinets, cupboards and drawers were investigated and pruned and the result is this:

Not a lot you might think  :biggriin:

However previously that had some 5 piles of papers and boxes - and now it is 'working room' for modelling.
I have resorted all my rulebooks and such on the shelf units and made room for the ones that didn't have room before, and I have them generally in pigeon holes by genre.

The end result is that when I had finished some 2-3 weeks later, I now feel more comfortable working on my figures.
I know where things are.
I can find bits
I can find books.

I am at peace.  :engel:

Of course that depends on how many new figures turn up ... ... ... ... ...  :closed-eyes:

and finally a special thanks to GP for organising this thread, maintaining it, and maintaining the enthusiasm.
I guess I probably did about 70 - 75 days of hobby stuff overall, which really surprised me. I had never committed to these things in the past as I knew my fickle wavering enthusiasm, but I think I surprised myself.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2020, 03:37:13 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #989 on: August 19, 2020, 03:48:56 PM »
way to go Mids!  :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #990 on: August 19, 2020, 03:52:59 PM »
I second SKS! :::cheers::: :::cheers:::

Achievements of any kind are to be celebrated, and some times the accomplishments arise in unexpected ways.  I am glad for Midaski's.

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #991 on: August 19, 2020, 07:32:37 PM »
 :::cheers::: congrats to al participants.  It was a topic worthy to stalk.   :engel:
Quote from: Commander Bernhardt
don't listin to the evil Henerius
Quote from: steveb
if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #992 on: August 19, 2020, 08:06:38 PM »
What is this??
I’ll tell you - madness!
Part of your soul is gone now 😺

Great work!!
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
« Reply #993 on: August 20, 2020, 07:34:37 AM »
:::cheers::: congrats to al participants.  It was a topic worthy to stalk.   :engel:
But you didn't join us!

Such a nice and clean desk Midaski!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #994 on: August 21, 2020, 02:36:27 PM »
Gentlemen ... I had mentioned that once SKS got back form vacation that I'd set up a Zoom session for what I'm calling a Celebrate and Paint session.  Unfortunately there is too much going on this Saturday, although wanted to let you know this idea hasn't gone off my radar screen!

:icon_cool: :::cheers:::

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #995 on: August 21, 2020, 04:53:11 PM »
Who is invited?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #996 on: August 21, 2020, 05:22:14 PM »
Anyone who wants to paint (or not), and celebrate with a drink, maybe a toast, or a few, to an event well done by folks who gave an effort.

I'm thinking of pushing the start time back a bit from previous zoom sessions, although still try to make it easy for folks if possible.  Folks can having a glass of wine, mug of beer, or whatever their hearts desire, alcohol isn't required.