home

Author Topic: Nemesis Fluff  (Read 9477 times)

Offline Michael W

• Members
  • In the Name of the Emperor since 2001
Nemesis Fluff
« on: April 05, 2007, 07:15:25 PM »
Alright, so in an effort to attempt to tie our Nemesis Crown campaign together (and have some consistency in our fluff), not to mention for my own boredom sake and interest in actually PLAYING a game of Fantasy (it'll be weeks at best until I get to do so), I'm going to attempt to do some writing based on the campaign.  I'll do a few intro pieces, some opening battles, and once summer's rolling, I'll write my own battle reports and "from the command tent" - type articles.  These will probably all be narratives about our beloved officers and engineers and such (if you have no idea what I'm talking about, go read The Nemesis Crown thread under the The Elector's Forum). 

So.  If you like it, or just want me to mention your army General instead of your screenname (which I'd vastly prefer to do), drop a post and I'll edit and such.  If you want more detail about your army mentioned, post it here (ie, "My army relies heavily on knights" or "my army has no artillery").  Thanx in advance, and I hope at least a few of you like it.

Disclaimer:  Any representations of any characters that might be in your possession (ie, General Helstrom) are pretty much my interpretation based on reading posts and picture (especially the picture, in that case).  So I'm not trying to steal or rewrite your character, and this won't be published (at least, I don't expect so), so I'm not stealing your ideas to make money.  If I am badly representing your idea of how your General acts/thinks/looks, let me know and I'll be more than happy (literally, more than happy - I hate naming and designing dozens of characters) to make appropriate changes.  Anyway, on with the story.

Chapter I:  Introduction, Part I

The open grounds around the city of Volksdorf, only a mile from the Talabec river, swarmed with men.  Uniforms of crimson and blue, violet and white, gray and green, yellow and black, and others scampered around palisades, parade grounds, and hundreds upon hundreds of tents.  Beyond them, in all directions, rose the imposing wall of the Great Forest.
   "General, we've just recieved word from the western encampments.  Better than a thousand men assembled so far."
   The General nodded, dismissing the aide.  Lean and strong, Helstrom was getting on in years, but still towered a head over most men.  His moustache was long and blonde, though graying, his hands scarred from years of battle, his eyes hard with the type of gaze only a veteran knows.  He had known a life of war, enlisting in the free companies at a young age, and had pressed his way through the ranks.  Now his name came before the Emperor himself every morning, when his reports on the progress of locating an ancient evil artifact were read.  Helstrom was one of four commander-lieutenants to the overall commander of the operation, Feldmarshal Varschen, and by far the most senior - and least politically affiliated - of his rank.
   Assigned to him were two seperate detachments, hailing from a variety of provinces, now mostly assembled on the grounds around him and in the opposite camp, across the Talabec.  Across the river, Jerok, a hero of the Storm of Chaos, had mustered his men, joined by the armies of Lemercenaire, Oss, and Powder Monkey.  He had expected only eight hundred men, so the arrival of more than a thousand was good news.  On his side of the river, his primary officers were Warlord and Wissenlander, though more than a dozen different contingents had arrived, bringing his command to more than five thousand troops. 
   And they were still arriving.  Many were refugees from the north, driven out by the recent invasion of the Chaos armies, who had come south looking for a new life and found the regular and reliable pay of the army a worthwhile investment.  Others were troops that had marched with Karl Franz to Middenheim; casualties had been so light that many nobles now found themselves with oversized armies and were eager to find new employ for them, to prevent them from going about things their own way.  Others were new troops - youngsters who had been to young to go to war when Archaon came, mercenaries who had returned home too late, and nobles attempting to save face after not marching to Middenheim's rescue.
   Helstrom's plan was direct and simple.  With the aide of his chief engineer, Talados Brackenheis, he would recivilize the area.  The attention garnered by potential enemies, from elves to beastmen, raiders of Chaos to (most feared) Grimgor Ironhide, would require this area to be secured, not simply passed through.  The orks, in particular, were of great concern - they were rumored to be moving south, past Talabheim, in numbers sufficient to displace entire tribes of beastmen.  Brackenheis' engineers would, under protection of Helstrom's regiments, lay roads and build forts, burn out troublesome creatures of Chaos, and open the area up to more civilized settlement.  Clear and secure supply lines would be established, ready garrisons of troops would be stationed at standing intervals, and batteries of artillery would command key road junctures. 
   There were numerous mines in the Howling Hills, one of which was supposed to claim the artifact that he was supposed to find; every one of them would be fortified by his men against attack, securing time for assigned regiments to do the digging necessary.  It wouldn't be pretty work, but Sigmar willing, it would be successful.
   "Sir!"
   Helstrom glanced over to see another aide, the blonde-haired Ryven, hurring up to him.  "Yes?" he asked patiently.
   "Sir, there are troops on the move, coming up from the south - at least a thousand, maybe more!"
   "A thousand men - are they Imperial?"
   "Yes, sir.  Mostly militia, though; some knights in black and red, and a couple companies of Reiklanders are with them."
   "I see.  Tell Jan to put the camp on standby; I'll go see what they want."
   The aide hurried off to find the officer, Jan of Viklef, Helstrom's most reliable commander.  The General himself signalled a pair of his veteran bodyguards and made quickly for his horse.  The three of them then rode quickly to the south road, to see what trouble approached.

The road was indeed clogged with people; in front were small units of Reikland spearmen - Bogenhafen, specifically, as the violet feathers indicated - with detachments of handgunners, and behind them were hundreds of militia.  They wore a variety of colors, from all across the Empire, but in their midst was something Helstrom recognized - the black and crimson crosses of the Knights of Sigmar.  The devout knightly order had, as he recalled, sworn its aid to Luthor Huss just after the Storm of Chaos.  They served as his bodyguard and carried out his will.
   The troops slowed and came to a halt in front of Helstrom and his armour-clad warriors, who looked down on them from their steeds.  "Who is in charge here?" called out the General.
   "Huss!  Huss!" came the reply, which quickly grew into a chant.  Helstrom frowned, wondering if they were lunatics or worse, when a figure on horse rode up the road through their midst.  His steed was coal black, barded in battered armour; the figure atop it was a heavily muscled warrior, clad in plate, his feet in thick leather boots, his arms bare.  A massive greathammer was slung across the saddle.  His head was shaven, and a circlet of iron rested upon his brow.  His expression was grim and dour.  His face was known to all.
   As he reached Helstrom, the General saluted.  "My lord Huss," he said, "I was not aware that you were passing this way.  Especially not in force."
   "The tasks of the Emperor and Sigmar keep one busy," replied Huss, his eyes gazing like black flame into Helstrom.  "I am on the same mission that you are, General.  I am entering this area to clear out the region and located...the Nemesis Crown."  These last words were spoken with such hate and loathing that Helstrom's horse, a noble beast which had fearlessly carried him against even such foes as a mighty Hellcannon of Chaos, stepped backward. 
   "I am deploying men of my own here when we move out," replied Helstrom.  "At least eight hundred.  Perhaps they can work with you."
   "It is a possibility," Huss allowed.  His tone implied that a wrong decision now could cost the world.  "The troops under me are led by an officer, Reynard of Bogenhafen.  He will meet you at your camp this evening, and you can discuss how to best arrange a mutual operation."
   "Indeed."  Helstrom nodded gravely.  "May I suggest the south side of Volksdorf for your encampment, then?  It's about the only area not already taken."
   "Thank you, General.  May the light of Sigmar shine ever upon you."
   "As it does upon you," replied Helstrom.  "Good day, my lord Huss."  With that, he spun his horse and headed back toward camp.  Behind them, Huss' army began their march again; a great hymn was soon brought up in song, echoing through the woods and warning any foe that the Sigmar's holy light would soon pierce any darkness.
Let them taste Reikland steel!
----------------------------

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
Re: Nemesis Fluff
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2007, 07:35:20 PM »
Thank you for the mention, quite an honor.

I like your writing, it's a good start.  I hope that others take hold of it as well.  I think if we can get a united front on this it may help us out as a whole.  And if not at least we had a good time in the process!

I have to do some thinking about my army general.  It won't be my normal Graf, he's too busy dealing with stuff back in Brennenburg right now.  I'm thinking that one of the other marshals could be dispatched to lead a contingent of Wissenland men under the orders of the Countess. *Shudders*  At least we're listening to an order of the Emperor and not only her.

Oh, and I liked the sly comment about there being light casualties during the SoC.  Classic.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 08:06:40 PM by wissenlander »
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
  • Yorktown, Virginia - USA
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2007, 09:31:10 PM »
I figured I'd put my muster here if it will help.

The army of Ludenhof

A relatively small town in the Reikland situated on the Reik past Castle Reiksguard, Ludenhof boasts a small but well trained army. The town and it's surrounding villages are ruled by Duke Rudolf VanHelsing. The Duke is an accomplished warrior in his early 40s, and tries to go to war with his army whenever possible.

The Duke is a veteran of the Storm of Chaos. He and his men fought mostly in the forrests of Hochland and there they took many casualties. At this point, the Ludenhof army is still recovering from the loss of so many men.

Always willing to take his army to aid the Emperor, the Duke has mustered the remaining forces to march with his fellow Imperials to the Talabecland border in search of the Nemesis Crown.

Ludenhof Army Structure
Prided for it's well disciplined troops

Led by Captain Jeremiah Steinhauer who is second in command next to the Duke.

Unit of Greatswords (the TeufelsAlpdrücken Landskecht Fähnlein): They are said to be so aggressive in battle that even the Night itself is frightened by them. Their Banner is "Mitternacht"

Some state troops Swordsmen and Halbardiers. The Halbardiers come directly from the town watch (the Flugsteigwache Fähnlein.)

Quite a bit of Militia Crossbows, Archers, and Free Company attached to the state troops The militia is the "Kreigshunde Pobel"

No handgunners, but two cannons from the wall defenses of Ludenhof itself march with the army when needed.

A knightly order devoted to Morr has their chapterhouse on the outskirts called the Order of the Silver Shield. The Duke's son is a prominent member and they march to war with the army on occassion.

The Kriegsjager are a well trained group of huntsmen that work with the army from the surrounding villages.

A small barracks of roadwardens are based in Ludenhof (pistoliers called the Dienstpferde)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 03:42:35 PM by Ernst Brauer »

Offline Oss

• Members
  • getürmt aus Buch auf Buch, verlassen und verflucht
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2007, 10:08:14 PM »
I really like it.

Details to characters and army will follow as soon as...I get to write them.
Quoted From Wyzer1: "Actually I believe most of the game is fairly well balanced, and I applaud GW for this awesome game. Thats why we pay $300++ for their models. That and we all have mental issues."

Offline HoS

• Members
  • Beyond Beyond Thunderdrome
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2007, 11:17:25 PM »
Gasp! I am offended sir! Deeply wounded, indeed! Where is my mention? As many will tell you I was at the fore during the War of Ostermark Succession, helping pull Talabecland to a stunning victory against more numerous (and obsessive-compulsive) foes! I was actually the one who suggested General Helstrom for our General in this campaign!

Haha, seriously, no worries. Here is my fluff:

I think my general's name will be Hoss. As in HoS, only not.

I lead an army of numerous foot soldiers, about with mostly swordsmen and Greatswords, but also a number of Halberds, Spears, and Handgunners.
My army hails from the illustrious city of Talabheim, wearing the livery of that great metropolis. They were one of the few armies not sent north at some point or another during the Storm of Chaos, but were instead kept for garrisoning duties. Disappointed with not being able to achieve glory they are now eager to test their mettle. The army overall is rather young and inexperienced, with a slightly more wise general, but their eagerness for war betrays their naivety. They now march towards the Talabecland Border in the company of a rather large number of knights of The White Wolf who have recently converted to newer cavalry tactics and are armed with lances.

Desperate for blood, battle and glory, the Grand Army of the Ottilia marches towards victory!
Gave into the WoW.

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2007, 07:02:41 AM »
Might throw mine up as well if you're still looking for more men

The Army of Talabecland
Drawn from the men of Talabheim and its' surrounding province, the Second Battalion of the Grand Army of Talabecland is generally led by Johann Feurbach, first son of the missing (and presumed dead) Elector Helmut Feurbach. However, in recent times, the holy church of Sigmar has turned its attention towards Talabecland and, in particular, towards its army. As such, Feurbach has found himself demoted within the army leadership as Warrior Priests and the Arch Lector of Talabheim have gradually assumed control. Joined by an ever-increasing number of crazed Flaggelants and several of the artillery gunners who normally guard the walls of the capital, the Second Battalion is currently encamped near the city of Volksdorf, under the command of General Helstrom.
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2007, 12:40:29 PM »
Greetings my friend,

This Nemesis Crown that I hear rumors of is beginning to spread across the county.  It is being used as a fable at night by mothers to frighten little children.  Alas, I fear that there is more trouble than a mere bedtime story could foretell. 

Wissenland has been called to send aid in the recovery of this accursed trinket.  I send one of my best men.  His name is Ortolf von Brennenburg and he commands the 28th Battalion, Wissenland Expeditionary Force.  Ortolf is a grizzled veteran of the Storm.  He was orphaned early in childhood and left the orphanage at the age of twelve to enlist in the army. 

There are rumors abound of his past, some that his parents were witches burned by inquisitors, others that he is an illegitimate son of a noble.  I tell you these things not for gossip, but for caution.  He is a good man, but sometimes easy to anger.

He is an able commander though; he has worked his ways through the ranks, advancing through the Wissenburg Greatswords.
He sees his men as the family he never had and is fiercely protective of them, but often appears callous at first glance.  His men in return are very loyal and see him as a father figure.  He has respect for those that have worked hard, veterans of battle.  However, he has little patience for young nobles who have had their rank handed to them and know nothing of the horrors of battle.  Take caution in this my friend, I have seen too many times when this has nearly cost our county dearly.

Assigned to Ortolf is a detachment of the Order of the Wissengaurd, knights sworn to protect Wissenland.  The majority of the battalion is made up of state troops from throughout Wissenland and some militia that have been hastily assembled around Wissenburg before departure. 

The men are well trained; even the militia has been trained in the use of the bow.  I know you will find a use for them, they will make Wissenland proud.

Take care my old friend.  May Sigmar bless you.

Uwe Rondersbach
Lieutenant Viceroy
Commissioned by the Fair Highness, the Countess Emanuelle von Liebewitz
of the County of Wissenland
« Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 04:06:10 PM by wissenlander »

not together.

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2007, 02:58:41 PM »
Can my eyes be cheating me? Is our Viceroy of Wissenland actually complementing his mistress as fair?  :ph34r:

Still, I feel rather left out, like HoS. I even wrote a little story in the other thread (though not my best, I did make the effort)

If I could be included as Jacob marley, spiritual advisor to the otilla? (meaning a man who uses twisted religion to further personal policital aims, like most). With a rather dedicated force of talabeclanders.
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2007, 03:09:11 PM »
:lol: She made him, that's all I'll say.  And if you're in the clique, well then she might not be that bad of a person with all the debauchery and partying going on.

To us simple folk in Brennenburg, she's the devil. :engel:

not together.

Offline Reynard_of_Bogenhafen

• Members
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2007, 01:34:23 AM »
Thanks for the sing out, you must have checked my army list, you got it spot on!

I'll write a bit for Huss and Reynard soon.

Billeting the men should prove fun...
Reynard Von Ruggbroder: Von Klaust's laurels of acclamation, bearer of the crimson ribbon, the shield of Valkin, keeper of the scroll of ludendorf, The eagle of Magnus, The Kannagheim Death's Head.

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2007, 02:03:33 AM »
I have to say it's very good, and I was surprised to find you used Helstrum as one of four Commanders rather than the Overall Commader. I have to say I really like that.

Other than that I think we need to go more in detail with what our mission is (Mission Statement from Organization thread). We also need to detatch a bit more from personal items in our intro. I'll look it over again and do some thinking on it.

Oh, I'll also write a piece on the Master Engineer, How he came to be the Master and what his role is.

Offline Oss

• Members
  • getürmt aus Buch auf Buch, verlassen und verflucht
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2007, 11:32:43 AM »
Hartmann was outraged. The nobility of Averland was mokking him. They looked at him as if he was a child. Despite his 23 years he had already seen more battles the most of them. He had fought in the Pistoliers' Corps during the invasion of the foul creatures of Chaos. He had seen Daemons, Orcs, even Undead. After his father's death on the walls of Middenheim he had returned and taken care of the land.
The Barony of Höllenthal was prospering, and like most of Averland swarming with fugitives from the north; he had developed a plan to answer the Emperor's call and give land to the landless, a plan most useful to the province. He had volunteered to carry it out, and yet those fools wouldn't support him. They'd send troops "According to the success of your expedition".his
"You can count on my support." Hartmann turned around. Next to him stood the Viscount von Murmelsee, a friend of his father. "I'll send you as much as I can detach from the borders. The Orcs are on the move, so it won't be much, but I can give you the 3rd Halberdiers and a group of my best hunters. Also my son will accompany you, his Pegasus is now fully grown and he's longing for battle. Frankly I don't want to have him around when the Orcs start moving. But he'll serve you well."
Hartmann's mood lightened up at once. Together with his own troops, assuming the settlers would be trained to fight along with the state troops...it might work out. And he knew Johann, the Viscount's son. He was a few years younger than Hartmann, but he had a great sense of humour and was optimistic in the worst situations. It would be great to ride to battle with him.
In a week they'd be ready to march to the Forest, but first Hartmann wanted to ride to Nuln. He'd been interested in buying some cannons ever since he'd become Baron. And he'd meet an old friend from the Corps...

First part of my army's campaign fluff. The General's name is Hartmann von Höllental.
Quoted From Wyzer1: "Actually I believe most of the game is fairly well balanced, and I applaud GW for this awesome game. Thats why we pay $300++ for their models. That and we all have mental issues."

Offline alarnik

• Members
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2007, 09:37:23 PM »
A messenger arrives in the camp, his furs mudspattered and his horse weary. He addresses the General:

"Greetings, lord, from my master, Margrave Konrad Rontgen of Fortenhof in Ostermark. He sends you this." He removes a scroll from his pouch and hands it to the General. After the seal is broken, the scroll reads this -

In the name of Sigmar. I, Margrave Konrad Rontgen, writing to the most esteemed General Helstrom, send you my greetings. I pray that this day finds you well. It is my intention to inform you that Fortenhof, eager to add her might to the glory off the Empire, shall be sending you a contingent of Ostermark Volunteers to help in the search for that accursed artifact, the Nemesis Crown. They shall be under the command of my nephew, the General Gunther Heidlig. I hope that you will find be able to put him and his forces into the forefront of your fighting, so that they may win great glory and honor for Ostermark and Fortenhof.

Although your forces are yet being gathered, these Volunteers shall already be hardened in the forges of battle when they arrive into your command. Mere days before they were to depart, I received word that greenskin raiders were taking advantage of the prevailing troubles to pillage the eastern reaches of our fastness. Eager that my troops should have the opportunity to learn first-hand what true combat is like, so that they would not falter when the fighting is fiercest, I sent patrols out with orders to destroy and turn back the raiders. Their actions should cause no delay to you. As soon as their operations are completed, they will turn post haste to your position.

Written this eigth day of the fourth month of the year of our lord Sigmar 2523. The scribe was Dmitri Hautlev, in the employ of the noble house of Rontgen.

See here XX is my seal. By this you will know that it is I who have dictated these words. This letter is borne by my trusted man Erich Schinder. I ask you to treat him in the best way you can.

The General's Herald has this to say about the Margrave's message:
A Little Bit of Background
The Ostermark Volunteers is a unit of troops raised by the Margrave of Fortenhof. For the most part they are Kislevite refugees. The Margrave, faced with a grave refugee problem, hit upon a solution he thinks is ingenious - why not send them to fight? Hastily acquiring a number of spears, bows, and uniforms, he equipped them and had them trained. His financiers (several of the noble houses of Fortenhof), seeing the benefit to their own power which could be gained by having a battle-hardened cadre of troops in their command, also hired an artillery battery and some handgunners, besides a single regiment of their own swordsmen. In addition, the Order of the Golden Lion has declared their intention to aid this force. However, it remains to be seen whether the cavalry will be supplied by the knights, or if some of the Kislev houses which are related to those in Fortenhof will permit their druzhini to go into battle. Regardless, it seems like a perfect solution. Fortenhof will be rid of the most warlike and violent elements of its Kislevite refugee problem, the nobles will be able to say they supported the Emperor, and maybe everyone will end up with a little bit of plunder (preferably from one of the neighboring provinces, not their own).

The commander, "General" Gunther Heidlig, is indeed the nephew of the esteemed Margrave. Although he is of great personal courage and patriotism, he is inexperienced as a commander. He was chosen because he is A) the Margrave's nephew and B) half Kislev (on his mother's side. She was a Kolev. Marfa Koleva, to be precise, and the daughter of one of the more prominent houses east of the border. Not that that's either here or there for this discussion). The Margrave hopes that he will be able to keep the unruly Kislev "volunteers," in line.

The true commander of the force is the standard bearer, a professional soldier who has served in the army of Ostermark for most of his fourty-three years - Roderic Tolzen. This is the man on whom the young Heidlig will be relying most.

Offline Michael W

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2007, 03:08:20 AM »
Okay...Part 2.

@Ernst - HAIL REIKLAND!   :biggriin:

@Guvnor - From what you posted, I'm assuming that you're okay - or maybe even happy - to have the corrupt end of the deal.  If I'm screwing that up, let me know.  He's your guy - I'm just trying to represent him appropriately.

@Helblaster - I know, two stories, NO MENTION!  Don't worry, your army is in the next one.

@Everyone who hasn't said where they're from - It would be cool if you did so.   :happy: 

Thanks to everybody who's posted information/story clips thus far.  I'm actually tracking all of this in a file on my computer so I have easy access to "quick info" about your armies and characters, so expect to see at least an honorable mention sometime in the future. 

Without further ado, here's part two.

Chapter II:  In the Great Forest

"HOLD...THIS...LI-"
   The roar of cannonfire cut off Captain Helbrecht's last word.  Around him, men slashed and chopped desperately, their longswords hacking through the green flesh that engulfed them.  To the right, the halberdier detachment was breaking, men fleeing back over the hill - as though that would save them.  The cannon crews watched them go, but held their posts.  To the left, the crackle of handgun fire drew Helbrecht's attention; he swiveled his head to see the handgunners firing off a desperate point-blank volley into charging boar riders.  The lead orcs went down, but the second rank smashed through the handgun line, tossing men aside, cutting them down, and trampling them underfoot.
   On the hill behind Helbrecht's swordsmen, the cannon crewmen were desperately reloading their machines.  Next to them, thirty greatswords were hefting their weapons.  The tiny contingent was too small to be part of the battleline, but they were the personal bodyguard of the horseman in their midst - Jodas of Gorim, Marshal of the Reik.  When they engaged, it would be in a desperate bid to sell their lives dearly and buy Jodas time to escape.
   The orcs had come on them quickly - too quickly, Helbrecht thought.  They must have had good scouts, to take out Jodas' archer screen without alerting anyone.  When the green battleline had emerged from the forest to the left flank, it had caught Jodas' small army by surprise.  Numbering only a few hundred men, they had quickly fallen into a defensive position against the thousand or so orcs that they faced.  Unfortunately, goblin wolf riders had gotten in amongst the pistoliers before they were in rank, and that melee had resulted in fleeing horsemen and wildly chasing gobbos.  Then the orc battleline had hit them, and would soon sweep over them.
   Helbrecht stepped back into the line; there was nothing to be gained by observing the chaos.  Their duty was to hold as long as possible, and by Sigmar, he would do just that.  "Rally, men!" he bellowed out.  "Push them back!  Let them taste Reikland steel!"  With a roar, he hurled himself against the nearest vile green beast, his steel blade sliding effortlessly through its crude armour to the hilt.  The beast stiffened, and he ripped the blade back out, slick with black gore.  He chopped quickly at the next orc, who deflected the blow with a crude shield, but Helbrecht slammed his own skull-emblazoned black shield into its face, causing it to stumble back in surprise.  His blade slid up, punching through its throat, the tip erupting through the monster's skull.  He spun, deflecting another orc's attack with his blade, and squared off against another foe.  The orc hefted a massive cleaver in both hands and brought it crashing down with frightening speed, but Helbrecht stepped aside and chopped upward, catching the orc on both forearms, cutting deep.  As the beast howled in agony, he brought the sword swinging around and chopped off its head.
   Next to him, a swordsman's shield was split asunder - along with his skull - by an orc war-axe.  On the other side, a valiant soldier ran his blade's tip into an orc thigh, but the brute simply smashed the pommel of his blade down on the warrior's unprotected skull, shattering it like a melon.  The orcs had nearly broken them, Helbrecht knew - and when they did, it would go from battle to butchery.
   Behind him, the cannons barked again, raining clouds of steel balls and shrapnel through massed orc bodies.

"Did you hear that, sire?"
   Duke Rudolf VanHelsing glanced over at his ranking Captain, Jeremiah Steinhauer.  "I heard nothing, but my ears are going a bit in my age, Captain." he replied.  "What did you think you heard?"
   "I thought I heard- " there was a second roar, muted with distance, but audible to both men this time.  "That, sir.  It sounds like cannonfire."
   "Probably a provincial skirmish, Captain," replied the Duke, "but you are an attentive man."
   "Sir, our scouts did report the trail of a large party of orcs - at least a thousand, they estimated.  Perhaps they've engaged a contingent of troops?"
   VanHelsing gave a nod.  "You may be right.  Deploy our lead battalions.  I will follow you in if necessary."
   "Yes, sire.  For Sigmar!"  With a salute, Steinhauer wheeled his steed and galloped ahead down the line. 
   "First battalions, advance at the double!" he bellowed out in a deep, commanding voice.  "Ready for battle!"  He brought his horse up next to a column of black and gray-clad knights.  "Order of the Silver Shield!  Advance forward and prepare to engage the enemy!  For Morr and for Sigmar!"
   The columns pressed forward, the cavalry quickly taking the lead, the infantry spreading out behind them - more than a thousand men pressing through the forest and along the road, the regulars in white with flecks of crimson or azure, the militia clad in browns, leathers, and tassels of white.  They jogged in formation, drawing weapons and getting close to companions.
   As they drew closer, the sounds of battle grew louder, and Steinhauer could soon distinguish the fearsome warcries of the orcs and the desperate screams of men.  He urged his troops faster, riding among the infantry in the center of the road.
   They emerged all at once from the brush into a clear, open area along the road.  Directly opposite them, atop a small rise, a white banner marked by an eight-pointed scarlet cross waved above a desperate knot of men, now surrounded by a tide of green orc flesh.  Greatswords' plate armour was spattered black with orc blood, and weary swordsmen continued thrusting into the enemy ranks.  A particular figure in plate armour with a shattered black shield and impressive knot of red-and-white feathers stood in the middle, fearlessly engaging any orc who dared close enough to his black-stained blade.
   "Men of Reikland!" bellowed out Steinhauer, loud enough to draw the attention of the men three hundred yards away, "TO OUR BROTHERS!"

The ground shuddered underfoot; rocks leapt into the air and plate armour rattled.  Men around Helbrecht stared in awe at the sight of two hundred heavy horsemen thundering straight into the orcs, their black lances leveled as steadily as though they sat dummies instead of galloping horses.  Behind them came a massive wave of Reiklanders under crimson and blue crosses, their white uniforms erupting from the forest; swordsmen and spearmen, free companies, archers, and crossbowmen together.  They crashed forward, their warcry tearing through the air: "For Sigmar!"
   Helbrecht leapt to action.  "Pull tight, men!  Let's make the anvil for this hammer!"  Invigorated, his troops leapt to action, tightening their formation and reclaiming the hilltop from the shocked and as-yet stunned orcs.  "Take them on your swordpoints, lads!  Let none escape!"
   At last, and too late, the orcs leapt to action, trying to form ranks against the incoming cavalry.  But with their best troops at the hill, it was the weediest and weakest of the orcs who faced the onrushing horsemen, and even before the impact, the orc ranks were breaking.
   Lances speared through orc flesh like guided bolts; fountains of black gore erupted through the air, and the orc warcries turned to howls of terror.  Many turned to flee, but Helbrecht and his men were ready, and took the first orcs to run on the ends of their swords, gutting the hapless and disorganized brutes like animals.  The infantry plowed in behind the horsemen, slowing to finish off an injured orc or run through one who was lucky enough to survive the cavalry charge.

Steinhauer guided his mount in on a clump of greenskins that hadn't been run down in the initial charge.  His lance took the first in the eye, tearing the top of his mishapen skull off, and took the second in the chest.  He ripped the lance out and he wheeled around and drove the weapon's point deep into the back of a confused orc who didn't know which way to turn.  When the weapon resisted being pulled free he dropped it, settling for his longsword, and soon he was chopping down on exposed orc heads and shoulders, making the foe cry with despair.
   The knights wheeled around to survey the carnage they had wrought, and advanced again, this time at a slow trot, their lances low, looking to destroy the survivors.  The men on the hillside charged down with a roar, the plate-clad warrior leading the way, hacking with fervor into the enemy that still stood.

What orcs remained were turning in all directions, fleeing into the woods with no sense of leadership or direction.  Helbrecht caught himself before ordering the pursuit; his men were exhausted, and much of his command was already dead on the ground around him; no need to sacrifice more good men if the orcs managed to get their wits and turn around.
   A warrior trotted up to him on a silver-barded brown steed, clad in gleaming armour, a cloak of white on his shoulder and a crimson feather in his helm.  "Greetings.  Are you in command here?"
   Helbrecht gave a quick survey of the hilltop.  "I command this contingent, sir.  My own commander was, I believe, forced to fall back; he should be returning with more troops soon."
   "I see."  The warrior gave him the courtesy of sliding from the saddle and extending a hand.  "Captain Jeremiah Steinhauer of Ludenhof, at your service.  That was a stubborn wall you made there."
   Helbrecht gave a grim smile.  "It was a costly one, too.  I'm Captain Markus Helbrecht.  I serve under Earl Jodas, of Gorim.  You march with Duke VanHelsing?"
   "Yes," Steinhauer smiled broadly.  "He's coming up soon with the rest of our army.  We're on our way to Volksdorf, to serve under General Helstrom in the new crusade."
   "Us as well," Helbrecht nodded knowingly.  "Though the orcs pulled a nasty one, I think - turned the sign and got us pointed the wrong way at the last crossroads."
   Steinhauer frowned.  "If you were headed south on this road, then you're going the wrong way."  At Helbrecht's confirming nod, he frowned further.  "But orcs are normally that bright."
   "I don't know," Helbrecht shrugged.  "I'm a soldier, not a general.  Anyway, we're going to need to collect our wounded and then head north to meet with the Earl and point him in the right direction."
   "We'll regroup here - you can march with us," volunteered Steinhauer.  "A couple of priestesses of Shallya are with us, too; they can help care for your wounded."
   "Your aid is much appreciated," replied Helbrecht.  "If you can spare a horse, I'll send a rider to the Earl and let him know what's going on."
   "He shall have mine," volunteered Steinhauer.  "And ride immediately."
   "Thank you."  Helbrecht nodded.  "I'll organize my men.  Thank you for everything."

Three hours later, Earl Jodas' Army of Reikland yielded the road to Duke VanHelsing's Army of Ludenhof, and both columns proceeded on the three-day march to Volksdorf.  The news of their arrival led to Helstrom's hurried orders to clear much of the surrounding forest to make room for the rapidly enlarging encampment and greatly cheered the armies present.
   The same day that Jodas and VanHelsing arrived, another army arrived, from the north - a contingent of five hundred veteran Talabecland state troops under the command of Jacob Marley, a hefty, pig-eyed bull of a man clad in the crimson and sable of the Church of Sigmar who was known primarily as the corrupt religious advisor to the Ottila.  Disliked though the man might be, his men were well-respected as both stubborn and strong fighters, and the favor of the Ottila was too valuable for Helstrom to dare send him away.  All he could do was pray that Marley intended to profit from following orders and not from carrying out some private agenda.  Though what private agenda he might be pursuing, no one had a clue...

Offline Guvnor

• Members
  • I'm just north of London
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2007, 10:59:13 AM »
Okay...Part 2.

@Guvnor - From what you posted, I'm assuming that you're okay - or maybe even happy - to have the corrupt end of the deal.  If I'm screwing that up, let me know.  He's your guy - I'm just trying to represent him appropriately.

I'm quite happy to be a scumbag.  :happy:  But I'm not hefty.  :unsure: I'm like.. uh... short is more me.  :|

Oh, and there's a virtual cookey for whoever can guess the reasoning behind that name.
I have one sentence in response to the engineer and mechanical: Empire is post-feudal age, not post-nuclear age!

Offline stretch_135

• Members
  • Resident Tall Guy
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2007, 11:36:02 AM »
The same day that Jodas and VanHelsing arrived, another army arrived, from the north - a contingent of five hundred veteran Talabecland state troops under the command of Jacob Marley, a hefty, pig-eyed bull of a man clad in the crimson and sable of the Church of Sigmar who was known primarily as the corrupt religious advisor to the Ottila.  Disliked though the man might be, his men were well-respected as both stubborn and strong fighters, and the favor of the Ottila was too valuable for Helstrom to dare send him away.  All he could do was pray that Marley intended to profit from following orders and not from carrying out some private agenda.  Though what private agenda he might be pursuing, no one had a clue...

I like it...however (forgive me, I'm not big on fluff knowledge) who is the Ottila? I was under the impression that Talabecland was under the control of the now missing Elector count, and that Ottilia was the name of the Countess who controlled the province during the time of the Three Emporers. Or am I confusing Ottilia/Ottilla?
On the quest to get my painting in the red this year...follow the madness here: Blog!

Offline Ernst Brauer

• Members
  • Yorktown, Virginia - USA
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2007, 03:26:06 PM »
Great work there! I really enjoyed my part. Keep up the good writing.   :happy:

One little thing though that I would like to mention (none of which are your fault, just going on what I posted!).

Jeremiah is actually relatively young for a captain, only 28. Other than that, it's great!

Offline lemercenaire

• Members
  • Priest Edward Yorkmir
« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2007, 07:20:42 PM »
Great story so far ,keep on the good work. :eusa_clap:

My general is Edward Yorkmir called Priest Yorkmir he's an AL(in game).

I didn't get too deep with my fluff but here it is:

His army consist of a few hundred volonteer/faithful men always on the move to purge evils throughout the Empire and beyond , recruiting local soldiers from each regions they get to travel to ,spreading Sigmar's faith.

It was sent by Altdorf's Church some years ago, also with the approval of Karl Franz so it can roam freely(well mostly) in every provinces.

This is a ''free'' army of Sigmar that doesn't really belong to any region ,formed with different knightly orders and some foot soldiers ,this army need to be fast wich mean they have more mounted troops than foot ones .

It goes where it's most needed helping any region in dire need , raising faith in Sigmar by the same occasion.

Having heard about the nemesis crown resently his army marched to meet General Jerok to see what help they can do...
God ,if you wont help me then stay out of the way...

Offline Jerok

• Members
  • Captain Campaign
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2007, 08:44:51 PM »
Er, Lemercenare, just so you know fluff-wise my character isn't Jerok.

I'd just like to tell everyone it's great to see some personalized stuff  in here, but i'll be starting another thread soon for stuff we'll be submitting to the Narrators before hand. Also, this needs to happen soon, so i'd ask people to concentrate on it and not this. Again, I love that you guys are doing this but if we wan't to change something we need to do it before stuff starts officially coming out.

Offline lemercenaire

• Members
  • Priest Edward Yorkmir
« Reply #19 on: April 10, 2007, 12:45:17 AM »
Er, Lemercenare, just so you know fluff-wise my character isn't Jerok.

I knew it wouldn't be ,but I didn't saw that you gave him a name already ,sorry General Martin Von Storegothe :icon_wink:
God ,if you wont help me then stay out of the way...

Offline Reynard_of_Bogenhafen

• Members
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2007, 07:54:38 AM »
Its as cold as ulric's left bollock this Volksdorf, Reynard thought to himself.
    'cold isn't it, brother?' he asked, rubbing his purple hose briskly.
Huss reguarded him silently from the spartan floor of the command tent. he merely grunted, lowered his head and closed his eyes once more. The priest had been silent all afternoon. Had reynard not heard the fiery eyed man speak then he would have found it hard to believe such tales of his fierce oratories and retoric. He really seemed quite a bore.
    'Sigmar provides,' the priest stated. The sun must have crept from behind a cloud.
Reynard smiled, bloody priests...

The men stared into the fire. Twisting, swirling, and captivating. Gerhard frowned, he wondered at his turn of fortune. The college had assigned him this task, at the emperor's bidding no less. It worried him. here he was stuck in this army of froth mouthed loons and backwater soldiers. He leaned against a twisted stump, creasing his bright red cloak, staff crooked in his elbow. they wanted him in that fire, he knew it.
     The thought amused him, a bright wizard consigned to flame. That cold bastard priest would know better. His was a keen nose, taught the scent of a witch from birth. Luthor Huss, the prophet of sigmar. A man of his size would be better known as the Hammer, not a prophet.
      At least the soldier's commander, Reynard von Ruggbroder, seemed to have his head screwed on the right direction. Gerhard had known many commanders, for it was a battle wizards fate to be a whore of death. He had known a few good officers, though too many in this world were loons, religious nuts, or inbred...

Captain Blanche previously of the 2nd bogenhafen spears, looked out at the swirling plague of human activity. once a farmer, now a soldier. It pained him to watch as the countryside here abouts was torn apart by the leather boot of military activity.
    'Its a big campaign innit sir?'
    'Guess so fresh-face, but it was bigger last year. you missed that though, boy.' lucky bastard, he thought. five hundred of them marched out, less than a hundred marched back. Bogenhafens great contribution to the war against chaos. He stood near Huss that final day at middenheim, and he stood with him again. a Living emblem of faith, and a fine warrior.
he hefted the tattered battle standard, and thrust it deep into the ground. The men of Bogenhafen had arrived at Volksdorf.
    'Lets see if we can find some grub, fresh-face!'

Reynard Von Ruggbroder: Von Klaust's laurels of acclamation, bearer of the crimson ribbon, the shield of Valkin, keeper of the scroll of ludendorf, The eagle of Magnus, The Kannagheim Death's Head.

Offline Rocky

• Members
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2007, 01:02:35 AM »
As soon as Eric had seen the Emperor's seal on the letter he knew he would be moving out.  He had heard rumors that most armies had been told to move out but it was a surprise to find out he would.  He guarded the Empire from the southern orc tribes and was attacked a lot but he guessed this must be really important to call his army away.

the letter had said that he was to leave his most trusted Captain in charge of the fortress then take the best men of his army and report the General Helstrom for orders so he packed up his army and left the Castle walls with his army in there crimson and blue uniforms.  He looked back wondering if he would ever return.
If it's skin is green blow it up!!!!!!

Offline Alberich Von Ludenhoff

• Members
« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2007, 01:39:51 PM »
Great writing looking forward to the next part
My General is Alberich Von Ludenhoff of Eldenhiem, a small town on the Nordland coast,
it was destoryed by a large fleet of Norse raiders during the great war against chaos but it was eventually
eventually re-built in 236. The Duke Kabalov of Eldenheim has ordered his most trusted friend General Alberich
to take as many soliders as can be spared to help in finding the Nemisis Crown.
The Eldenheim army mainly consists of state troops and artilery support.
With Grim determination Alberich salies forth to Talabheim.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2007, 03:50:10 PM »
I appreciate the mention - a fine bit of writing there  :happy:

My Generals name for the campaign is....

Andrej Ricard Wensiech
He is a religious man, however extremely open minded and willing to learn all he can of the world. He has an enormous library of the documented Works and Miracles of Sigmar, enemies of Sigmars people, other dieties of the Empire, and of even Lores of Magic. As such, to expand his knowledge, and perform some reconnaissance on the area directly affecting Hochenhiem (where the search for the Nemisis Crown started), Roderick de Berghe, Viscount of Hochenhiem, commissioned Andrej with a portion of the Hochenhiem guard. These well equipped troops shall join the Imperial effort in fighting against all those opposed to finding the Crown in name of glorious Karl Franz.

Hochenhiem is a mining colony deep in the middle mountains in Hochland. Some features of note are:
- the annual horse race through a weathered old portion of the mine. Men from across the Empire and beyond travel to Hochenhiem enjoying the festivities and much fine Ale. As such it is not uncommon at any time of year to see foreigners investigating the track and the facilities at Hochenhiem for their prospective racers.
- there is a hefty dwarf population, and these are also the more experienced miners in Hochenhiem. They frequently perform maintenance to the track, the mines, and the fortifications topside. Dwarves don't enjoy racing much, but pay in near unlimited Ale keeps them more than satisfied.
- as a tourist destination, a lot of the revenue raised goes towards securing the future of Hochenhiem. Hochenhiem has a very well equipped standing army - enough to hold indefinitely against a siege, and more than enough accomodation to house the populations of the local villages whom provide Hochenhiem with its sustenance. Not, of course, at the time of year during the Purebred-55 where competitors and their military 'entourages' spill topside and provide more than enough 'protection' to Hochenhiem and the surrounding area against threat.
- the middle mountains are home to all types of beasts and birds, and some of the wild and adventurous men from local villages are able to hand-rear and train these birds of prey into weapons against Sigmars enemies. Even Roderick himself is said to have hand-reared and trained a baby griffon to maturity and ride it to battle against the Sigmars Heirs most dire of foes.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2007, 02:41:28 AM by Warlord »
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Michael W

• Members
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2007, 10:40:42 PM »
I just got a chance to flip through the campaign book.  From the sound of it, Karl Franz himself is coming along - personally - along with good ol' Kurt.  So, Helstrom will be one of Karl's Corps commanders, and our battle reports will be coming from the operations of the IV Corps.  The other 3 Corps of the army will be the rest of the world.  We report to Helstrom, Helstrom reports to Kurt.  Fluff-wise, that is.

On the (HUGE) bright side, GW's release doesn't conflict at all with our plan of building roads, rebuilding forts, and recivilizing the area.  In fact, it makes a ton of sense. 

As for the dwarves: no grudge, no problem.  However, both Karl and the dwarves have set the Crown above our old alliances.  For us Americans, I think we could do well to have a "Civil War-esque" relationship; a civil, bloody conflict that won't hurt relations in the long run.  We don't want to fight each other, but officers have orders, and so we must.  Imagine the armies meeting and the officers exchange greetings and regretful apologies for their orders during the parley.  The armies then beat the tar out of each other all day.  After the fighting, both sides make every effort to save as many wounded as possible, from both sides, and exchange as many prisoners as possible.  Dying men are allowed to ask for their siblings or sons from the opposite army to visit them before they go.  That evening, dispatches between the camps result in trades of ale for meat, playing cards for tobacco, and so on.  Imperial officers invite dwarven officers over for drinks and conversation.  They know the next day they'll be at each others' throats again, but when we're not killing each other, we're getting along.

K, that was kind of long, but I hope you get the idea...I can see this fluff bringing a curious new dimension to Warhammer fluff.  Especially if we run with Karl becoming corrupted merely by the search for the Crown, hinting at the disaster that could follow if we actually win...

All thoughts and suggestions, very stream-of-conciousness.  Let me know what you think.  Maybe a new forum topic for all this conversation?  Maybe not...it is fluff, after all.

New bit of writing to be done soon, which should be in sync with the newly-revealed plots and subplots.  And include a few more of you.

@Alberich - we already have an army from Ludenhof (without the extra "f"), in Reikland.  Any objections to your noble being a political exile who founded a thriving new life in the North, but might still have some conflicts with Ludenhof's current ruler?

P.S.: Anybody want to volunteer to be the poor lackey who gets dispatched to "delay" Settra's invasion?  Yes, Settra's invading.  Us.  The Empire.  And he's coming from the NORTH.  Go figure.