home

Author Topic: Grand Sigmarite army of Stirland, witch hunter update.  (Read 185287 times)

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Grand Sigmarite army of Stirland (Finally an update 4/23)
« Reply #100 on: April 25, 2008, 03:50:13 PM »
Thanks!  Its going to look a lot more religous fanatic by the time its done too.  Im planning on having a unit filler in each of the main blocks of intantry with some kind of sigmarite theme.  Maybe soldiers holding up their town's most holy relic or a painting/idol of sigmar....  I dont know yet.  Anyone have any good ideas for that?

Hopefully the unit fillers will add more charactor and color to the army too.  I love the green, but it needs more I think.

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
« Reply #101 on: April 27, 2008, 07:10:27 AM »
How have I missed this thread? Awesome :::cheers::: awesome :eusa_clap: awesome :::cheers:::!!!
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Grand army of Stirland (BSB update)
« Reply #102 on: April 27, 2008, 01:49:35 PM »
Ok,  both colors are really easy.  both are undercoated with black. I always use black even for lighter colors. If i did high elves or ghosts, sigmar forbid it,  I would use white undercoat to show their lighter aura but for everything else, black!. The green is Dark angels green mixed with snot green for the darker areas, the high lights are snot green mixed with sunburst yellow.  Thats it. The yellow parts are snakebite leather for darker areas and sunburst yellow. Maybe a little bit of bleeched bone added in the highlights. Its really very easy. I always paint dark and light areas at the same time so the colors blend well where the different shades meet.  Give it a try and let me know how it turns out for you.
The green looks great!

I also like the leader at the top of the first page.  Being a character he'd fit right in with the Stirlanders, despite the red and because of the red at the same time.  And his shield is super!

Where did the sheild come from and how did you paint it?
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #103 on: April 27, 2008, 02:44:46 PM »
Thanks!  Its going to look a lot more religous fanatic by the time its done too.  Im planning on having a unit filler in each of the main blocks of intantry with some kind of sigmarite theme.  Maybe soldiers holding up their town's most holy relic or a painting/idol of sigmar....  I dont know yet.  Anyone have any good ideas for that?
How about Ghal Maraz and the shield that are on the cover of the BRB?
Hello Athiuen and welcome to the Back Table.

caveat lector
I killed a duck with a spear, can't read train timetables though
"To be is to do"-Socrates;
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #104 on: April 27, 2008, 11:53:14 PM »
Thats a good idea, not the real ones but maybe a wooden sculpture of them or someting.  I want them to look midevil and not too fancy.  This is stirland after all.

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #105 on: April 28, 2008, 08:28:05 AM »
Thats a good idea, not the real ones but maybe a wooden sculpture of them or someting.  I want them to look midevil and not too fancy.  This is stirland after all.
Yeah, I know about the wooden sculpture. After all, there is only one Ghal Maraz  :biggriin:

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #106 on: April 28, 2008, 08:15:18 PM »

I also like the leader at the top of the first page.  Being a character he'd fit right in with the Stirlanders, despite the red and because of the red at the same time.  And his shield is super!

Thanks! somehow i missed your post before.

Here is the shield before I did anything to it. I think it came with the Chaos  Marauders

Here you can see I cut off the chaos junk and did the details in green stuff.

For painting, i based it in black, than used brazen bronze with gold highlights, and finally added chestnut ink and black ink here and there.

Hope that helps and thanks for the comments  :smile2:

Edit:  oh yeah, the shield is supposed to be the Bronze Shield from the magic heirlooms list
« Last Edit: April 28, 2008, 08:30:21 PM by Otaku »

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #107 on: April 28, 2008, 08:27:16 PM »
How have I missed this thread? Awesome :::cheers::: awesome :eusa_clap: awesome :::cheers:::!!!

How have you missed my thread ! :icon_mad:

:icon_wink:

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
Re: Grand Sigmarite army of Stirland (Answer to shield question)
« Reply #108 on: April 28, 2008, 08:36:22 PM »
Lots of us missed it.. between updates....
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Albrecht Hexenjaeger

• Members
  • Imperial Liberal
Re: Grand Sigmarite army of Stirland (Answer to shield question)
« Reply #109 on: April 28, 2008, 08:37:35 PM »

How have you missed my thread ! :icon_mad:

:icon_wink:

Sorry dude. The mounted BSB caught my eye in another post, and it blew me away! Honestly one of the best conversion/sculpts I've ever seen. Not to mention it would look perfect in MY army! :biggriin:
I got my affordable healthcare. Now I need affordable miniatures.

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Grand Sigmarite army of Stirland (New project: Mounted Arch L. )
« Reply #110 on: April 29, 2008, 05:36:00 PM »
I wanted to wait for the next convertion contest before I started a new project but i just can't stop myself.

Here is Arch Lecter Kaslain ( or maybe a grandmaster at times ) WIP

« Last Edit: May 07, 2008, 05:29:49 PM by Otaku »

Offline Hooch

• Members
  • Formerly Hoochlander
« Reply #111 on: April 29, 2008, 05:43:56 PM »
It looks like a good start, and I know that the finish product will be immense...  :biggriin:

...however, I think his head is a bit far back, if you intended this for some reason then fine, but if not, I personally think it looks a little strange. :unsure:

Keep up the awesome work.  :::cheers:::

Hooch

Offline King

• Members
  • Island-fortress of Malta
« Reply #112 on: April 29, 2008, 08:03:05 PM »
Oh you are going to do your magical conversion work again  :icon_eek: I will have my eyes on this for sure Brian  :::cheers::: It already looks awesome  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 06:43:27 AM by King »
We cannot direct the wind, but we can adjust our sails....

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #113 on: April 29, 2008, 08:26:08 PM »

Thanks! somehow i missed your post before.

Here is the shield before I did anything to it. I think it came with the Chaos  Marauders

Here you can see I cut off the chaos junk and did the details in green stuff.

For painting, i based it in black, than used brazen bronze with gold highlights, and finally added chestnut ink and black ink here and there.

Hope that helps and thanks for the comments  :smile2:

Edit:  oh yeah, the shield is supposed to be the Bronze Shield from the magic heirlooms list
Thanks for the info.  Approximately 20 years ago my father and I would sometimes "kitbash" military minaitures to get the kind of figures we wanted for our dioramas.  However, I've never sculpted stuff like that nor used the green stuff.  I've been considering taking off the lions or whatever they are sitting on the round shields for spearmen from the 6th Edition, and painting some insignia on it, although perhaps I'll experiment with the green stuff and have the insignia raised a bit, too. :icon_idea:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2008, 10:01:59 PM »
@  Hoochlander,  OK  I took a long look at it. I think the head is where it is supposed to be but since he is looking up there is a gap between his face and face guard that normally isnt there. If he were looking forward that gap would be gone so I think the face guard is in the right place. Plus I need to leave room for a future goatee or beard. But I have played around with it and repositioned his head a little and his arm a lot... Maybe it will look better in the next pics.  In person it never looked too strange.  Good catch!

I have also repositioned him so that his torso is bending forward a little making it vertical with the base. I also lowered his book arm so that its in a more natural, lower place hopefully giving his raised arm more prominence.  :unsure:

BTW,  He is supposed to be saying the "hammer of judgment" prayer on his weapon.   Edit:  He should know that prayer by heart so he dosent neet to read from a book to say it,  so hes saying some other more powerful prayer instead.  I dont know... The hammer of flamming monkey poop prayer...

@  king,    Stay tuned.  I have so many ideas dancing around for this guy I can't wait to try them out   :mrgreen:

@ gamespoet.    Its cool u did stuff like this with your dad. So did I, and will with my son... if I ever have one.   Good luck on your next project!
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 03:45:33 AM by Otaku »

Offline Soju

• Members
  • personal text goes here
« Reply #115 on: April 29, 2008, 11:38:20 PM »
That looks like a good start to something, clearly Otaku-tastic. You know what the last photo reminds me of? The painting of Napoleon, on his horse, pointing lol.

sj

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #116 on: April 30, 2008, 03:28:14 AM »
made some changes... 

« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 03:31:49 AM by Otaku »

Offline steveb

• Members
Re: Grand Sigmarite army of Stirland (New project: Mounted A.L. update )
« Reply #117 on: April 30, 2008, 03:37:20 AM »
I think that this army will become one that sets the standards that we all strive for. Like the purple and white Bogenhafen army to name one.  I really admire your work and creativity.  steveb

Offline Hooch

• Members
  • Formerly Hoochlander
« Reply #118 on: April 30, 2008, 06:31:33 AM »
Nice, your GS skills are amazing.  :smile2:

The head looks better know, looks like he is blessing him hammer now.

Good job  :::cheers:::

Hooch

Offline King

• Members
« Reply #119 on: April 30, 2008, 06:56:39 AM »
Just out of curiosity Brian, where did you learn to sculpt to this level :? I mean for you it might be a simple thing but for many of us around its very difficult to achieve this standard. Its already looking amazing and I will try to imitate it soon with one of my spare horses to see how I go and perhaps better my sculpting skills in the process. Though I still need three weeks to start on it thanks to damn university work. For some reason although I use silicone tipped sculpting tools, my GS still comes somewhat rough in texture in the end. I think it must be because of my island's arid climate  :|

Link to my blog http://www.warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=23114.0

Offline Obi

• Members
  • Rest in peace Nate
« Reply #120 on: April 30, 2008, 09:13:37 AM »
I think everyone hopes you're making a mini for them in the 'pleasant surprise' stuff, I for one definitely do!

caveat lector
"To do is to be"-Sartre;
"Do Be Do Be Do"-Sinatra

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #121 on: April 30, 2008, 07:41:07 PM »
@ Steveb  I don't know about that, but thanks very much! I think everyone envies your army.  Its so huge,  and goofy.  Very retro with its bright colors and funny-but-serious war machines...  they way I remember the game 10-15 years ago.

@ hooch,  thanks!  I've since changed him a bit more though. And his hammer now looks more like a General's weapon.

@King.       hummmm  I leaned a lot (like how to do chain mail) on this site. Other than that just having fun trying new things and not being satisfied until its at a certain level.  I'm a little bit of a perfectionist I guess.  I've also been doing things like this for a long time now. Practice and having fun doing it really does make perfect pretty good.

I don't know why your green stuff is drying rough.  When you work with it do you keep it moist? I do.
I don't use any fancy tools when I sculpt.  I use a tooth pick 90% of the time, needle 5% and other things like my fingers, hobby saw, chop stick... the rest of the time.

The good thing about G stuff is you can work with it for a long time before it dries. I often have to re sculpt or ply around with it for a while before I choose how I want it to look or find something that looks good. Don't ever expect your sculpt to look good the first time. Just play around with it until it works for you.

@ Obi,  the whats it?  Hey I love star wars too!  Great story! Oops got to go, the barn is on fire... and the cows are escaping. yeah, thats it.  does his best to dodge question
« Last Edit: April 30, 2008, 07:45:49 PM by Otaku »

Offline Otaku

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #122 on: May 01, 2008, 07:40:06 PM »
Heres how he is looking today. 

No part of it is done yet so if you see anything strange please point it out to me.  For example, the hammer looks a little unballanced now.   

Oh , and happy May Day  :icon_exclaim:  :::cheers:::

Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 07:43:16 PM by Otaku »

Offline KiTe

• Members
  • A(II)Rh+
Re: Grand Sigmarite army of Stirland ( update 5/1)
« Reply #123 on: May 01, 2008, 07:45:23 PM »
VERY NICE WORK!!!  :Ohmy:

As for me, It would be better if his head would be angled forward to the enemy - more realistic, I think  :smile2:
"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end.
But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning."
© Sir Winston Churchill after the victory at the Second Battle of El Alamein.

Offline King

• Members
Re: Grand Sigmarite army of Stirland ( update 5/1)
« Reply #124 on: May 01, 2008, 09:01:53 PM »
Nice work Brian  :mrgreen:. I like it lots as I did the other warrior priest  :eusa_clap: Really impressive work, keeping in mind that you did it with a toothpick  :::cheers:::