home

Author Topic: FIghting Vampire counts (and other undead)  (Read 718 times)

Offline sedobren

• Members
FIghting Vampire counts (and other undead)
« on: April 10, 2024, 03:48:37 PM »
As far as i can see, those two armies are a very tough nut to crack for us imperials. They have both dragons, very strong mages, an enormous amount of potential wound recovery (especially the necromancer with the book on the mortis engine), a strong melee phase and lots of ethereal units.

unlike dwarves we cannot count on our cannons to be magic, melee is meh (outside of demygryphs) and general shooting is not strong enough to remove entire units in one phase so that they cannot be resurrected.

My current plan is a lot of shooting (2 cannons, 1 steam tank and one outrider unit), and a duo of lvl4 wizards with battle magic, demonology and a ruby ring. At least one Witch hunter (either hating undead for the hatred and the flaming attacks or hating demaon, so that his unit has magic attacks to hit ethereal enemies) and that's it.

Does anyone have any suggestion here? i simply cannot see how an empire army could ever win even against a mid VC one.

Offline commandant

• Members
Re: FIghting Vampire counts (and other undead)
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2024, 04:11:19 PM »
What does a mid VC list look like? Is there any lists knocking around?

Say 1250 points or 2000 points

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2024, 10:59:14 PM »
Here's a very important thing to remember: focus fire on a single model/unit in order to completely destroy it. Once it's gone it's gone for good.

Don't put a cannon here and a cannon there. Those wounds will be removed. Just outright kill something to remove it from the game.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2024, 11:41:54 PM »
So... Maybe even take the war altar for the 6 inch bubble immunity to fear? His vampire characters will want to get close so the war altar should assist in stopping some of the magic.

Offline sedobren

• Members
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2024, 05:56:17 AM »
What does a mid VC list look like? Is there any lists knocking around?

Say 1250 points or 2000 points

As far as i have seen, a mid one does not uses the meanest things like multiple necromancers on mortis engines, terrorgheists and loads of ethereal units all at the same time but just one of those things.

Offline sedobren

• Members
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2024, 05:59:01 AM »
So... Maybe even take the war altar for the 6 inch bubble immunity to fear? His vampire characters will want to get close so the war altar should assist in stopping some of the magic.

i was thinking about the altar, the issue is that since invocation of nehek is no longer a spell, its -2 to casting will end up damaging the Empire's mages more that ne vampire's ones. A mage with the dispel item appears to be pretty effective in limiting their phase so far, even better if he takes both the wand of jet and the wizard's familiar.

Also the problem is not fear and the inability to charge. Vampire counts are extremely fast this edition for some reason and they will be in your face before you know it.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2024, 01:18:46 PM »
This is what i learned
1:NEVER try to fight in a defensive manner against an undead horde
2: ALWAYS try to take out the Necromancers/Vampires first. Doing so will hinder the skeletons/ zombies

Offline Athiuen

• Members
  • The Old World
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2024, 12:15:56 AM »
1:NEVER try to fight in a defensive manner against an undead horde

Absolutely. They can out tank us easily and will simply bring wounds back.

It's always better to be aggressive and try and completely destroy a unit with a massive combo charge.
Quote from: warhammerlord_soth
No beer was wasted.
They fired at a can of Heineken.
The end is Neigh!
Quote from: Swan-of-War
Curse you clearly-written rules!

Offline E-DWARF

• Members
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2024, 08:45:56 PM »
I think you can use a witch hunter on pegasus to hunt the vampires and necromancer with Suffer not the witch. I'm not sure on the magic items however.

Offline Minsc

• Members
  • Grumpy Berserker of Rashemen.
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2024, 03:23:19 AM »
I think you can use a witch hunter on pegasus to hunt the vampires and necromancer with Suffer not the witch. I'm not sure on the magic items however.

Might as well go with Suffer not the Revenant. No MR(2) but on the other hand the Witch Hunter (and his unit) Hates *all* Undead (not just the Wizards) and get flaming attacks, which is useful against a plethora of targets in the TK and VC-armies.

Offline Minsc

• Members
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2024, 12:36:44 PM »
As far as i can see, those two armies are a very tough nut to crack for us imperials. They have both dragons, very strong mages, an enormous amount of potential wound recovery (especially the necromancer with the book on the mortis engine), a strong melee phase and lots of ethereal units.

unlike dwarves we cannot count on our cannons to be magic, melee is meh (outside of demygryphs) and general shooting is not strong enough to remove entire units in one phase so that they cannot be resurrected.

My current plan is a lot of shooting (2 cannons, 1 steam tank and one outrider unit), and a duo of lvl4 wizards with battle magic, demonology and a ruby ring. At least one Witch hunter (either hating undead for the hatred and the flaming attacks or hating demaon, so that his unit has magic attacks to hit ethereal enemies) and that's it.

Does anyone have any suggestion here? i simply cannot see how an empire army could ever win even against a mid VC one.

Late reply, but as a newly bitten VC-general as well as an old-time Empire General, I'll give some tidbits for whatever its worth:

Vampire Dragons are though, but not nearly as though as say HE or Chaos Dragons. At best they'll have a 4+/4++/5+++ (and be stupid) or a 4+/5++/5+++. The Dragon itself is also the weakest dragon in the game (as should be, since it's a zombie dragon). They're also flammable for what thats worth. Honestly good ol' cannons will probably work. Or just leave it be and aim those cannons at something else, like the...

... Master Necromancer on Mortis Engine. Now *this* is something you want to get rid of if your opponent brings it, even more so if it is his General, which it probably will be.
My go-to build for a Level 4 on Mortis Engine has Scepter, Talisman of Protection and either Ruby Ring or Hand of Dust. What this basically means for you as an Empire-general is that it's a Level 4 on a T5 heavy chariot with a 4+/5++/5+++ and 8 wounds, that raises dead twice per turn (on Ld8, with reroll if the VC BSB is nearby), who gives *all* undead within 18" +1" M and +1 Initiative, and has a 18" Reserve Move bubble when he casts Hellish Vigour.
This is by far the model I'm most catious about losing, not only because he's my General (with all that entails if he dies, crumble crumble) but also because he's by far the biggest force multiplier in my army.
The best part for Empire-players? You don't necessarily have to kill him asap, just charge him with anything (like a Captasus) and lock him in combat, because when he's in combat he can no longer raise dead and most of his spells can't be cast - and The entire thing hits like a wet noodle with D6+2 WS3 S3 attacks, not even a Captasus is afraid of that, heck you might even win combat. Biggest threat in combat is ironically its banshee scream.

Etheral units has always been a bit of a pain for Empire. Luckily most Etheral units are considered "meh" as they require a Cairn Wraith or Tomb Banshee to unlock. Even if he brings them, you do hopefully have at least a level 4 of your own, plus some characters with magical attacks.
Witch Hunters are, as you yourself mentioned, actually useful against Undead, so bringing at least one isn't a bad idea.

Empire shooting isn't that terrible against VC tbh. Yes, our Crossbows or Handguns won't be able to delete that unit of Grave Guard, nor that big unit of Crypt Horrors. But they can kill those small, annoying chaff units of Dire Wolves, Fellbats, Corpse Carts and put a dent in some of his infantry. But as others have already stated, try to finish of a unit before moving on to the next, or chances are it will just be healed.

Honestly, looking trough the VC armylist there aren't that many units that will cause Empire a massive headache (other than spammed Etheral units):
- Zombies, Skeletons or even Ghouls will be in a slog with Empire Infantry that Empire will probably win over time (unless the undead gets raised)
- Crypt Horrors can be pretty dangerous but deal with them the way you would deal with any Monstrous Infantry. Except for their T5 they're surprisingly squishy with just a 6+++.
- Vargheists hit like a train but the VC-player has literally less control over them than his opponent does, thanks to them being (very expensive) frenzied flying skirmishers with Fly(9). Just put something cheap like 5 Archers 15" away from them and laugh as he fail charges.
- Black Knights and small units of Blood Knights hit hard but I'd deal with them the same way I would any other heavy cav: Helblasters and Handguns. Black Knights kind of need character support (just like Empire Knights) because with their 1 WS3 attack the chances of rubber lance-syndrome is high.
- Corpse Carts (with Warped Tintnnabulation) is a support piece I'd try to get rid of before the main clash begins. Not because they're a lvl 1 (who cares), but because Undead within 15" crumble 1 less (stacks with Indomitable) and when raised 1 extra wound is added on 4+. My Corpse Cart literally won me the game in my last game with my VC thank to this. It's only T4 W4 with a 4+, so it's not too hard to take out.
- I wouldn't worry about the Black Coach because it's unlikely you'll face one; it's overpriced garbage (205 pts for a 4W heavy chariot!) and I don't really see the point in it. Shoot it with cannons if it isn't etheral and ignore it if it is.
- Terrorgheists are pretty nasty, but with only a 6+/5+++ they die surprisingly easy. They also only have 4 WS3 S5 attacks + Stomps, so chances are high they will wiff in combat against a unit with static CR. The main danger with them is flying terror causer with Banshee Scream, but with Ld9 from your General it's unlikely to do much, if anything.
- Varghulfs are fast af but are also afraid of even Crossbows and Handgusn with their T5 6+/5+++. They will also die if they go into combat alone against anything with static CR since they only have 5 attacks (including Frenzy) and no stomps and now post FAQ they don't get +1CR for Close order themselves. VC players will probably look at their Varghulfs the same way we look at our small Knight units - it's a support piece to go after fast cav, warmachines and weak units, possibly help out in a combat.

So with all that said, the only things I can't really see Empire deal with (and luckily for us, they are sort of mutually exclusive in that the VC-player can't really bring both) a big unit of Grave Guard with the +1 Regen banner, or a big unit of Blood Knights with the +1 Regen banner, where either unit is accompanied by a Vampire Count (or Ghoul King) and probably a BSB.
We can't really whittle them down fast enough with our shooting, nor can we really beat them in combat unless they're the last unit left in the VC-army and we combo-charge them from every direction at once.
If your opponent brings either of these units, I'd just tro to delay, redirect or feed it something to stop it in its tracks.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2024, 12:48:30 PM by Minsc »

Offline Sir Falo

• Members
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2024, 06:57:07 AM »

Late reply, but as a newly bitten VC-general as well as an old-time Empire General, I'll give some tidbits for whatever its worth:

Vampire Dragons are though, but not nearly as though as say HE or Chaos Dragons. At best they'll have a 4+/4++/5+++ (and be stupid) or a 4+/5++/5+++. The Dragon itself is also the weakest dragon in the game (as should be, since it's a zombie dragon). They're also flammable for what thats worth. Honestly good ol' cannons will probably work. Or just leave it be and aim those cannons at something else, like the...

... Master Necromancer on Mortis Engine. Now *this* is something you want to get rid of if your opponent brings it, even more so if it is his General, which it probably will be.
My go-to build for a Level 4 on Mortis Engine has Scepter, Talisman of Protection and either Ruby Ring or Hand of Dust. What this basically means for you as an Empire-general is that it's a Level 4 on a T5 heavy chariot with a 4+/5++/5+++ and 8 wounds, that raises dead twice per turn (on Ld8, with reroll if the VC BSB is nearby), who gives *all* undead within 18" +1" M and +1 Initiative, and has a 18" Reserve Move bubble when he casts Hellish Vigour.
This is by far the model I'm most catious about losing, not only because he's my General (with all that entails if he dies, crumble crumble) but also because he's by far the biggest force multiplier in my army.
The best part for Empire-players? You don't necessarily have to kill him asap, just charge him with anything (like a Captasus) and lock him in combat, because when he's in combat he can no longer raise dead and most of his spells can't be cast - and The entire thing hits like a wet noodle with D6+2 WS3 S3 attacks, not even a Captasus is afraid of that, heck you might even win combat. Biggest threat in combat is ironically its banshee scream.

Etheral units has always been a bit of a pain for Empire. Luckily most Etheral units are considered "meh" as they require a Cairn Wraith or Tomb Banshee to unlock. Even if he brings them, you do hopefully have at least a level 4 of your own, plus some characters with magical attacks.
Witch Hunters are, as you yourself mentioned, actually useful against Undead, so bringing at least one isn't a bad idea.

Empire shooting isn't that terrible against VC tbh. Yes, our Crossbows or Handguns won't be able to delete that unit of Grave Guard, nor that big unit of Crypt Horrors. But they can kill those small, annoying chaff units of Dire Wolves, Fellbats, Corpse Carts and put a dent in some of his infantry. But as others have already stated, try to finish of a unit before moving on to the next, or chances are it will just be healed.

Honestly, looking trough the VC armylist there aren't that many units that will cause Empire a massive headache (other than spammed Etheral units):
- Zombies, Skeletons or even Ghouls will be in a slog with Empire Infantry that Empire will probably win over time (unless the undead gets raised)
- Crypt Horrors can be pretty dangerous but deal with them the way you would deal with any Monstrous Infantry. Except for their T5 they're surprisingly squishy with just a 6+++.
- Vargheists hit like a train but the VC-player has literally less control over them than his opponent does, thanks to them being (very expensive) frenzied flying skirmishers with Fly(9). Just put something cheap like 5 Archers 15" away from them and laugh as he fail charges.
- Black Knights and small units of Blood Knights hit hard but I'd deal with them the same way I would any other heavy cav: Helblasters and Handguns. Black Knights kind of need character support (just like Empire Knights) because with their 1 WS3 attack the chances of rubber lance-syndrome is high.
- Corpse Carts (with Warped Tintnnabulation) is a support piece I'd try to get rid of before the main clash begins. Not because they're a lvl 1 (who cares), but because Undead within 15" crumble 1 less (stacks with Indomitable) and when raised 1 extra wound is added on 4+. My Corpse Cart literally won me the game in my last game with my VC thank to this. It's only T4 W4 with a 4+, so it's not too hard to take out.
- I wouldn't worry about the Black Coach because it's unlikely you'll face one; it's overpriced garbage (205 pts for a 4W heavy chariot!) and I don't really see the point in it. Shoot it with cannons if it isn't etheral and ignore it if it is.
- Terrorgheists are pretty nasty, but with only a 6+/5+++ they die surprisingly easy. They also only have 4 WS3 S5 attacks + Stomps, so chances are high they will wiff in combat against a unit with static CR. The main danger with them is flying terror causer with Banshee Scream, but with Ld9 from your General it's unlikely to do much, if anything.
- Varghulfs are fast af but are also afraid of even Crossbows and Handgusn with their T5 6+/5+++. They will also die if they go into combat alone against anything with static CR since they only have 5 attacks (including Frenzy) and no stomps and now post FAQ they don't get +1CR for Close order themselves. VC players will probably look at their Varghulfs the same way we look at our small Knight units - it's a support piece to go after fast cav, warmachines and weak units, possibly help out in a combat.

So with all that said, the only things I can't really see Empire deal with (and luckily for us, they are sort of mutually exclusive in that the VC-player can't really bring both) a big unit of Grave Guard with the +1 Regen banner, or a big unit of Blood Knights with the +1 Regen banner, where either unit is accompanied by a Vampire Count (or Ghoul King) and probably a BSB.
We can't really whittle them down fast enough with our shooting, nor can we really beat them in combat unless they're the last unit left in the VC-army and we combo-charge them from every direction at once.
If your opponent brings either of these units, I'd just tro to delay, redirect or feed it something to stop it in its tracks.

That was a great how to vs the Vampires. I have not faced them yet so it was great reading the insight you have on them.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2024, 02:04:35 PM »
Thing is, you say our infantry can take VC infantry easily, HOWEVER most of our most competitive lists don't feature a lot of infantry...
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Footpatrol2

• Members
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2024, 03:53:24 PM »
I don't think our infantry is as bad as people make it out to be. You need unit str to get rid of fbigo from break tests. Our cheapest unit str is 5 points and likely 6 points with equipment which is infantry.

A all knight list unit str is 22 points per 2 unit str so 11 points per. People are still figuring things out.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 05:07:59 AM by Footpatrol2 »

Offline sedobren

• Members
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2024, 06:41:32 PM »
So far I've played 3 games vs VC (one was bretonnian exilez but still) and I've studied them a little outside of the games.

The necromancer on mortis is omnipresent and pretty oppressive (that's when the VC player only brings one, it's even worse when he brings two of them). It's a mighty combo with the dragon. Locking it in combat works but the issue is that the VC player will castle him within units of skeletons/zombies and one unit of grave guard with the BsB inside (both to reduce the wounds from combat resolution and to reroll the Ld test to raise dead within the BsB range, plus the pretty good barren banner for the grave guard). So you have a very narrow space to charge it, potentially the mortis will be so close to the grave guard that you won't have any space to charge. The flanks are one option, but the only unit i see easily charging there are either a captain or a witch hunter on pegasus. The witch hunter is decent i guess, hatred and flammable work wonders naturally but his killing blow is wasted since chariots are immune to it (and to monster slayer) so at best he will block it for a couple of fight phases, or one enemy turn. It's not great but it can be used to your advantage when you need it. It's not super easy to pull off since VC have some amazing screens like dire wolves, bats, vargulfs etc.

The other is cannon fire, but you have basically the same problems you have with big monsters (with ward and regens) with the added issue of the necromancer recovering wounds with the non-disable invocation. A great blocker would be the steam tank but it's hard to move that far, I don't think there are any spells that can make a chariot fly, which would be amazing on the steam tank.

A vampire on dragon is also tough as nails the rider has a very good profile and the dragon, while not the best stat-wise, it can be a wizard, where using illusion can make devastating effects on a combat character (at least they had those on me). The dragon's -1 to I combined with the vampire I of 6 (plus eventual bonuses from necromantic spells) is deadly on protracted fight. The combo i've faces used sword of kings, the familiar and the talisman, plus the lvl 3 power. The necromancer had the sceptre for 2 invocations, the crown (rerolling ld 8 is pretty safe) and familiar as well.

The rest was grave guards with bsb and barrow banner, Vargulfs, 2 dire wolves, blood knights and a unit of zombies (which took 5 combat phases of me continually pursuing to finally be killed!). It very difficult to manage for the empire, at least dwarves can make their cannons flaming and magical.

Offline Minsc

• Members
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2024, 09:30:01 PM »
Both a Lvl 4 on Mortis Engine and Vamp Lord on Zombie Dragon is a nasty combo, not very friendly at all I'd say.  :icon_razz:

I'm guessing you where playing 2250-2500 pts?
It's a bit hard to get that combo in with that equipment at 2000 pts.

Offline sedobren

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2024, 06:41:42 PM »
it was a 2000 pts game. It's not impossible with equipment, the three heroes fits just shy of the 1000 pts limit; I think he did not put the ward on the vampire dragon but i also never (never!) rolled a 6 to wound with my monster slaying duke over 3 rounds of combat. Even if the vampire would not fit, VC have the terrorgheists which is  incredibly powerful and has wailing dirge like the mortis engine. For the price of one kitted out vampire lord on dragon i think they can fit 2 terrorgheist as rare choices.

The unit that surprised me as not that good were vargheist, they got smoked by the errant knights kn the first charge on turn one. Zombies were incredibly resilient, being close to the BsB and to the necro for reanimating them. Grave guards held after 2 lances and a damsel with the magic lance and doppleganger spell charged and killed like 9 of them. Next turn they were almost back in full size and won the combat.
The dragon was actually the closest i got to winning. I really managed not to roll a single 6 to wound over 3 rounds of combat. I would have won the left flank and charged the mortis/grave guard square on the side

The main problem of the necro+mortis is that VC lose the only "wekness" they have, being slow. With just one engine they could have M6-8 Troops!