home

Author Topic: Middenland  (Read 22942 times)

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
Middenland
« on: July 17, 2010, 01:16:56 PM »
So, hi. I'm sort of new on this whole WHFB thing. Me and a mate at work got decided to give it a go last august (since we both like board games, we thought that we might give table top a go).

Anyways, decided to collect empire (Middenland), and below you'll se what I've got this far (since it's rather pic heavy i decided just to post the url to the album):

http://img85.imageshack.us/g/imag0028dx.jpg/

It's:
20 spearmen
10 handgunners
8 knights of the white wolf
1 WP
1 mage
1 Great Cannon.

Not much, I know. But I work a lot, so I don't get to paint much.
Archaon, The Everchosen, is one of two openly homosexual special characters in the world of warhammer. The other, of course, is Queek Headtaker.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
Re: Middenland
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 01:57:58 PM »
welcome ...nice start on the army  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Silver Wolf

• Members
  • I see lead people.
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 02:48:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum !
Good job ! I love the standard bearer... Wizard and W. priest look even better...

Just two things you should try to fix/improve :
- Mould lines on handgunners
- Your color is just too thick on some parts (chain mail armor for example)... You should prime the area with black paint and use a light chainmail overbrush... Then you should apply badab black wash... You can also use very watered down green wash before that ...

I know, I'm a bit boring, but those are my suggestions... Good luck...
"Watch the skies, traveler."
Check out my wargaming blog - The Forge of War

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 02:58:25 PM »
Thanks for the tips.
About the mold lines... I had every intention of removing them but it slipped my mind, and I didn't even notice it until I viewed the pics before posting them. I'm working on 10 more handgunners, so I'm planning to remove the lines on those.

In general I do tend to miss removing mold lines and such, and when I notice its usually too late.
Will give the chainmail technique a go.
Archaon, The Everchosen, is one of two openly homosexual special characters in the world of warhammer. The other, of course, is Queek Headtaker.

Offline rbutcher

• Members
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 07:31:35 PM »
Good job picking Middenland.  In my opinion they are the best looking and have some of the best fluff :icon_biggrin:

All a man needs is a horse to ride, a woman to love and an enemy to kill

And the brain to get them in the right order.

Offline Henerius

• Members
  • not Henry
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 08:44:49 PM »

Anyways, decided to collect empire (Middenland), and below you'll se what I've got this far (since it's rather pic heavy i decided just to post the url to the album):

http://img85.imageshack.us/g/imag0028dx.jpg/

Just add pic heavy in the title and please post them!  clicking frantically to see everything is not very gentle on my RSI plagued painting arm   :engel:

Welcome to the forum jaggedjimmyj, I hope you enjoy youre stay as much as I do
Quote from: Commander Bernhardt
don't listin to the evil Henerius
Quote from: steveb
if your fantasy world is not real enough, take two aspirins and go paint.  steveb

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 08:23:06 AM »
Just add pic heavy in the title and please post them!  clicking frantically to see everything is not very gentle on my RSI plagued painting arm

I don't seem to get it to work, as I generate a preview them img tags the whole browser window turns white. If I just submit, it hangs for a while and then.... nuffin...

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2010, 02:40:06 PM »
I like the more 'natural' look to your painting. It makes the models seem grittier and tougher.

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2010, 06:55:55 PM »
I like the more 'natural' look to your painting. It makes the models seem grittier and tougher.

Thanks mate, that's what I've been aiming for. I don't want an amy where every unit has a magical shine to it, so the only model I've not tried to make dirty lookin' is the mage.

Offline Glendor

• Members
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 02:50:30 AM »
It might just be the pictures but the knights look like the eyes are too big and have too much white in them. Though the others all look good

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 07:04:36 AM »
It might just be the pictures but the knights look like the eyes are too big and have too much white in them. Though the others all look good

Its not just the pics. A few of them Knights ended up with crazy eyes im afraid. Ive now begun work with another wizard, but i wont finish it until after my vacation. Sometime in late August.

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 04:38:38 AM »
So, finished my Metal wiz the other day. The pic isn't very good, I'll try to snap a better one later.
Not very satified with the painting, but I figured who will notice with that massive amount of semen shooting out of his hand.

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 07:54:07 AM »
Painting is good but I'm not sure about the stuff coming out of the hand.

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2010, 08:00:22 AM »
Yeah, its supposed to be molten metal, but it doesnt quite look like it does it... Ive begun the process of converting mordheim highwaymen to pistoliers, hoppfully that will go better.

Offline Geekmeister

• Members
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2010, 08:13:01 AM »
Sounds cool!

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #15 on: September 03, 2010, 10:02:55 AM »
Sounds cool!

They might turn out cool indeed. First of all one needs to replace the highway mans tiny derringers with some real empire brace o' pistols.

The real challenge really is the fact that the highwayman blister contains one mounted mini and one on foot. So what I'm going to do is place the one on foot next to his horse rather than bending his legs into a twisted unnatural position.
However, in order to fit him next to the horsie, I shall have to place him and the horse on a 50x50mm base.
This, however isn't all that bad... The model will sort of become a Pistolier unit filler, and I will get 3 pistoliers from one Highwayman blister pack. (Building a 10 pistoliers will still be quite expensive tho')

The next issue will most likely be how to get them highwaymen into varied poses.
Also I'm not sure whether it's ok to use the 'unit filler' in the front rank or not...

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2010, 11:43:59 AM »
So, I finally finished my first Pistoliers from the highwayman blister.
The image isn't great, will post a better one later.

I'm planning to add some more stuff to the large base top make it a tad more exiting. Tho' not yet sure what.

They did take some time to finish, but I've also managed to finish 3 greatswords (The greatsword minis are, imo, a pure pleasure to paint. Not at all like them bloody state troops.)

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2010, 02:19:17 PM »
wow very cool idea :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2010, 08:38:05 AM »
wow very cool idea :::cheers:::

Thanks, I figured I'd try using them highwaymen since I rilly like the model (apart from the tiny guns). I've bought enuff blister to make a handful of them.
Also I picked up a box of outriders/pistoliers to get me enuff pistols for the conversion. This will enable me to make some outriders as well.

However I do have one big issue right now. I want to change the facing of some models, but am not quite sure how to do. The sturdy neck of them highwaymen makes me think bending the heads with a pair of pliers will deform parts of their head.

Better quality photos slipped my mind but they're on my todo list.

Offline red bull

• Members
« Reply #19 on: October 23, 2010, 09:28:44 AM »
Very good and inventive.

Maybe if you used watered down chainmail on the molten metal it would look better.
No matter how good a general you are; if the dice are against you, you will not win.

My new stories http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36076.0
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=36981.0

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2010, 10:15:43 AM »
Very good and inventive.

Maybe if you used watered down chainmail on the molten metal it would look better.

Thanks for the suggestion, will give it a go.

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2011, 08:41:47 AM »
So, a captain is almost done. Did some minor bitshifting on this one.
Not 100% done with painting. The wolf head needs an eny and the binocular like tube needs some shining gold or summit, but I've misplaced some of my paints it seems...

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2011, 08:52:10 AM »
Also a better pic of the pistoliers I'm working on:

Offline Kirgan

• Members
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2011, 10:38:11 AM »
When you painting eyes you do next steps: black first then white and the end black  :happy:
Commission Painting-PM  :)

Offline jaggedjimmyj

• Members
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2011, 01:32:52 PM »
When you painting eyes you do next steps: black first then white and the end black  :happy:
cheers, will try that.
My eyes never get any good... judging by my army I'd say middenland would be THE place to be for any optician.