home

Author Topic: Middenheim Army (Update: Swords of Ulric)  (Read 47783 times)

Offline MiddenheimGeneral

• Members
Middenheim Army (Update: Swords of Ulric)
« on: May 08, 2013, 12:13:54 PM »
Greetings all,

I have been reading this forum for a while and decided to take the plunge and add my attempt at building a Middenheim themed army. I needed a new burst of motivation and thought i'd give writing an army/painting blog a try, nothing like bouncing ideas around and comments with fellow enthusiasts.

Its only my second army after "finishing"  :roll: a Greenskin Army. I chose to theme it upon Middenheim as the fluff allows a bit of moding and kit bashing opportunities that should make the army stand out a bit on the table, or atleast attempt to stand out.

Anyway onto some pics of what has been finished so far;

Detachment of Halberdiers

Detachement of Hand Gunners (Forgeworld Bodies)

Hunters (Markus Wulfhart is still a work in progress)

The one area that I will be tweaking is the faces, still trying to get to grips not paining everything green  :-P

And now for the start of some heavier kit bashing. I personally, and this is just my opinion do not really like the Demigryph models. They strike me as being on a parade ground not in the middle of a battle. As such one of the barriers to starting an Empire army was for me to find a way around this and found it in the Middenheim fluff. I decided to reincarnate my version of the Winterwolves of Middenheim in the following way:

The models are based on the 40K Space Wolves Thunderwold Cavalry, the riders are from the Demigryph set and the hammers are from Space wolf terminators if I remember correctly.

After completing the models I decided a block of 6 would be better, but I did not want two of the same ranks and decided to build the following (still a work in progress)

The 4 Wolves on the side are obviously 40K Fenrisian Wolves, the main character is a bit bash between Canis Wolfborn (removed his legs and all 40K bits), Demigryph knight legs transplanted onto the model with the sword arm and  the other pointing arm comes from a High Elf White Lions of Charce Champion. Will update as it nears completion.

For the rest I find the Great Cannon a bit on the small side. As such I dug in my bitz box as I did a kit bash to make a beefy Orc Boar chariot by adapting an Ogre Kingdoms Ironblaster. As such the Cannon was still left untouchedand and begged to be used especially since the marks on it clearly show it was at one point an Empire cannon. As the fluff states that the Empire when in dire need will use battlement guns in battle I imagined my Great Cannon being removed from the city walls to join the army on campaign and came up with this (Again work in progress):

"I think he needs a bigger packing tool for the cannon though  :roll:"

Anyway let me know what you think so far, still a lot of work to do before finishing the army.

Greetz

« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 06:47:45 PM by MiddenheimGeneral »

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Dipped in Magic, Clothed in Science
Re: My Take on a Middenheim Army
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2013, 12:55:00 PM »
Looking really good - those Wolfgryphs look splendid.
Completed Projects | History of Ophelia VII

Quote from: PhillyT
Everyone finds their balance between satisfaction and obsession.

Offline Commander Bernhardt

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
  • Geweldig!
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2013, 01:13:23 PM »
I'm a bit disappointed you decided to scrape off the detail on the ogre cannon. I found those details were what really brought this cannon to life.
great start on your army though, and some nice big wolfs
President Merkin Muffley: Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »
 :::cheers::: very nice sir
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline jimbeanie

• Members
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2013, 03:51:50 PM »
So many great things in this log! The giant wolves are awesome, the cannon is really cool and the handgunner detachment looks great. Well done Sir!

Offline Voltan Ignatio

• Members
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2013, 11:36:59 PM »
As someone who has recently got some thunder wolves to do the same thing - thanks for the inspiration!
A great start to the army  :mellow:

• Members
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 08:37:20 AM »
Thanks for the comments so far.

I'm a bit disappointed you decided to scrape off the detail on the ogre cannon. I found those details were what really brought this cannon to life.
great start on your army though, and some nice big wolfs

I agree, at the time I started this conversion I was planning on removing the Ogre markings and keeping the rest, but it soon became clear that skill levels and equipment were not at the level that would satisfy me. So I changed tack and covered it up, it is still a work in progress and my Empire Bitz Box is filling up nicely and I will be adding things to the cannon to make it stand out in its own right, well in my head atleast lets see whether my hands can match my imagination... :icon_rolleyes:

As someone who has recently got some thunder wolves to do the same thing - thanks for the inspiration!
A great start to the army  :mellow:

The Thunder Wolves are great fun to convert, the Space Wolves sprues give a lot of bitz you can use in Fantasy conversions with a little adjusting, and they are comically oversized which I think add to the flare of the models. Anyway have fun with the conversion.

Offline SpaceCowboy

• Members
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 12:26:17 PM »
Some really cool stuff you got there, thanks for sharing! I especially like the Giant Wolves and the cannon there we are talking about a GREAT cannon. Keep up the good work!
My gaming/painting blog http://diceandbrush.blogspot.com/

Offline Loran

• Members
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 06:00:05 PM »
Great looking Winter Wolves! I've got two sets of Demigryph Knights and Space Wolf Thunderwolf Cavalry waiting to be kit-bashed. Your pics and progress on the matter really inspires. Great work mate, thanks for sharing :D

- Loran
Middenheim marches to war, albeit slowly:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=41827

<+Hyarion> "Loran may cause addiction to mindless online games"

Offline Cam

• Members
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 07:24:26 PM »
Great to have you on here!
Its always good to have another Middenheimer join our ranks. For Ulric!

The Forgeworld handgunners look great and I like what you did with the cannon. Makes sense to me that Middenheimers would prefer a bigger cannon with more 'boom' than the puny cannons those 'Southlanders' use.

The conversion you did with the Thunderwolves is one that we have seen very often (on this forum as well as in general) now, but I like how everybody's version is slightly different and even though everybody uses the same base models it's easy to put your own spin on it.
It's definitely a conversion I'll be posting myself when I get my own blog up and running on here.

I wish you the best of luck with your army and continue to keep us updated

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #10 on: May 10, 2013, 09:34:55 PM »
I really like how those hunters are looking!

The cannon is going to be impressive. I really like the size of it.

• Members
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2013, 03:55:29 PM »
Hello All,

Thanks for the comments.

Its been quiet at the old paint station the last few days as I was away for work. 

As the unfinished projects mount on my desk (the Cannon and Wolfhart have not advanced one bit). I have some new ideas for my Greatswords and Knights but managed to stop myself starting another project prior to finishing my back log.

First of all the second rank of DemiWolves is 2/3 done. I guess you could call them fillers but I like them in their own right. Here they are and a pic of the entire second rank with the primary DemiWolf in primer:

Also started to work on my S-Tank, this is the first and last picture of the interior of the Stank.

The rear is in a rough base coat, messing about with colours to see what I am going to do. Still playing around with it.

Gonna keep working on the Stank, there are a few mods im adding and changing the Empire Stank into a Middenheim Stank :happy:
For the more astute of you the rear wheels are from the Great Cannon set as my version of the Greatcannon looked silly with the original wheels, so I used the rear wheels of the Stank kit for that and had to use the smaller cannon wheels on the Stank, life is all about compromises  :-P

All comments welcome as usual.

Greetz

« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 09:20:44 AM by MiddenheimGeneral »

• Members
« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2013, 07:51:45 PM »
Great looking Winter Wolves! I've got two sets of Demigryph Knights and Space Wolf Thunderwolf Cavalry waiting to be kit-bashed. Your pics and progress on the matter really inspires. Great work mate, thanks for sharing :D

- Loran

Cheers for that, I'm really pleased its encouraging you and hopefully gives you food for thought and new ideas, in any case enjoy the bit bash there are so many ways to personalise it.

Great to have you on here!
Its always good to have another Middenheimer join our ranks. For Ulric!

The Forgeworld handgunners look great and I like what you did with the cannon. Makes sense to me that Middenheimers would prefer a bigger cannon with more 'boom' than the puny cannons those 'Southlanders' use.

The conversion you did with the Thunderwolves is one that we have seen very often (on this forum as well as in general) now, but I like how everybody's version is slightly different and even though everybody uses the same base models it's easy to put your own spin on it.
It's definitely a conversion I'll be posting myself when I get my own blog up and running on here.

I wish you the best of luck with your army and continue to keep us updated

Cheers for the welcome, I finished the front rank of DemiWolves about a year ago, been to busy with work to get the rest of the army together. I have more time on my hands now and with the encouragement and pressure from this blog I'm hoping to push through. I used to live in Amsterdam and the GW there is a great place to come up with new ideas. In Dubai now and need a new channel to bounce ideas off and receive critique. Anyway will keep you updated on my progress.

Grtz

Offline Nicholas Ironfist

• Members
  • Witch Hunter Extraordinaire, Count of Sylvania.
Re: Middenheim Army (Update: DemiWolf Filler and WIP Stank)
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2013, 11:18:16 PM »
Mate I love your demi wolves, indeed your whole army is awesome.
If by inspire you mean feel free to blatantly steal your ideas than I feel "inspired"  ::heretic::
can't wait for your winter steamtank.
Care not for the judgement of others, but go forth and do as you see fit.

• Members
Re: Middenheim Army (Update: DemiWolves Complete)
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2013, 05:50:29 PM »
Evening all,

Its been tough finding time to paint the last few days but I am happy to report progress has been booked. Finished the DemiWolves. You can see the front rank earlier in this painting blog and now I have finished the second rank;

Still working on the Stank and Markus, both are about 2/3 done. Hope to finish them tomorrow and then on to a block of 40 Swordmen me thinks...or canon...or General...or knights...or mortar...or... ahhhh too much to do.... :icon_eek: :icon_eek:

Mate I love your demi wolves, indeed your whole army is awesome.
If by inspire you mean feel free to blatantly steal your ideas than I feel "inspired"  ::heretic::
can't wait for your winter steamtank.

Haha, Nicolas as far as I am concerned any ideas that I have and post about can be copied by anyone. It seems the perfect measure of doing something well if other people start to build along the same lines, and as far as I can tell there is no trademark on my pics   :blush:

Anyway comments as always welcome and hope to have an update tomorrow with the Stank.

Grtz

Offline mr chumley warner

• Members
  • Ninth Age , paint everything, Metal Only !
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2013, 08:39:28 PM »
the wolves look really good, colour scheme etc, but they are missing the depth that a wash brings,

it's like you have stopped at base coat stage,

if it was me, i would be getting a big brush and washing all over with brown and blue several layers,

then on to highlights

good work all the same
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

• Members
« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2013, 12:34:25 PM »
 :icon_neutral:
the wolves look really good, colour scheme etc, but they are missing the depth that a wash brings,

it's like you have stopped at base coat stage,

if it was me, i would be getting a big brush and washing all over with brown and blue several layers,

then on to highlights

good work all the same

Thanks Chumley for the honest critic. The pictures dont really show how they were painted, the white balance has overexposed a bit I think and hides a bit of the detail.

They are actually based in white, then I take a very light grey and water it down heavily so that the previous colour still comes through on the raised areas when applied to the model and then work my way up to black. Its almost reverse highlighting. Obviously flat areas come out in a relatively flat colour. The pictures I admit do not show this at all, I checked the model and it looks much softer blending in real life. I experimented a bit with washes but they are too heavy handed even when watered down, especially on the white it makes it very dirty very quickly and I wanted to be crisp not weathered.

Regarding washes I am bumping more and more often with washes leaving an unwanted high gloss finish when its dry leaving me the choice of redoing the effected area in base colors or trying to soften the effect. It seems to happen most with the Citadel brown and blue washes. What am I doing wrong? Is it that I am using a too much wash in one go or is it the fact that it is drying to quickly/slowly? Any advice much appreciated.

In other news, Stank main body is almost done, need to start the turret and then I will post some pics.

Grtz

• Members
« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2013, 02:13:06 PM »
I can only give you my technique,

wash brown 50% + water 50% mix,

then dry on a heater!

then wash brown + red or brown + blue, again watery, then heater,

final targetted washes at darkest areas may use black and blue,

then i purity seal for the matt finish

then highlighting
Ask yourself , what is real? 5 sense filtered reality is a very limited perspective.

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2013, 03:36:43 PM »
It is the Purity Seal / Dulcote / other varnish stage which is vital. Various techniques with various paints lead to a variety of textures and finishes on a model; a coat of something flat and clear harmonizes all that (as well as protecting the models).

Offline Shadowlord

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #19 on: May 22, 2013, 04:25:42 PM »
Unless you have a lot of metal models you tend to move around, stay away from varnish.

It kills colors.
My hood is my castle...

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: May 22, 2013, 05:17:45 PM »
Unless you have a lot of models you tend to move around

Gunlines are so outdated! :)

• Members
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2013, 05:41:16 PM »
I purity seal after washes ,

it stops your hands rubbing the paint off the model,

then i go for highlighting,

so a spray is not my final stage, it's half way point effectively

no colours depth is thus lost really

Offline Alleton

• Members
  • I'm not unit champion, shoot someone else!
« Reply #22 on: May 23, 2013, 01:19:28 AM »
Welcome to the forums, very nice work. I especially like the demiwolf 'swarms' you made, I might have to attempt that myself....

Your painting is excellent, and I look forward to more.
Demonslayer
 "hey, let's use one of those seals that keep ultimate darkness contained and use it to fry goblins, also have it be operated by the college janitor".

Warhammer Plog:
http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=42622.msg751211#msg751211

• Members
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2013, 11:07:17 AM »
First of all thanks for all the tips and comments, gonna try and keep content filtering at a reasonable rate, got a bunch of conversions stuck in my head that I need to start working on.

I will try the Purit seal in the future to see how it goes. Been reading up on it a bit on forums and it seems people have had problems with it so I might try it on some filler units to see how it goes before covering the characters and ending with a milky mess to lead the army.

I pretty much finished the Stank, well atleast I think its pretty much done. Still need to finish the Engineer and the Hochland rifle and the base but the main body is done. I wanted a well used but taken care off paint scheme, not parade ground material, might add some battle damage in the future but still on the fence on whether this is a good idea or not. Might still do some touch ups or fiddle with some highlights but this is the general idea of my version of a Middenheim steamtank:

Oddly enough its my first try and freehanding Purity scrolls, reasonably happy with result, might redo it when I get better with practice. For the rest I am far from a master sculpter  :blush: but the blending of the wolf into the tank body worked our reasonably well, once again might need to revisit in the future.

Anyway will be very interested in what you guys think of my mini-conversion

Offline Darknight

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: Middenheim Army (Update: Stank body Complete)
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2013, 11:21:49 AM »
Looks really good to me - very nice indeed. Might suggest dulling down the spokes of the rear wheels - they are very bright indeed. Maybe just a simple wash of brown or mud or gray.