home

Author Topic: Lion Rampant Has and Is Expanding ...  (Read 14677 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Lion Rampant Has and Is Expanding ...
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2018, 12:15:16 PM »
Lion Rampant doesn't have lists for Vikings nor Saxons.  They were more a dark age presence than medieval era.  That doesn't mean one couldn't come up with a list for them.

That’s the beauty of this system I’m finding. With dragon you can find units equivalent of and I think there shouldn’t be too much of a problem. Decided I’m going to order the hardback version of the rules. I have electronic versions of various books and I really prefer the real one.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2018, 12:17:04 PM »
Well is there really a hard back? My copy is a soft paper back version and I haven't seen a hardback copy.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2018, 12:19:15 PM »
Sorry bout that. You are correct. I knew something was amiss when harback was typed 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2018, 12:31:41 PM »
Either way, it's always good to actually have the book over the computer copy, although I'm a bit dated. :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2018, 12:56:27 PM »
The big problem with transposing a Vikings list is lack of Cavalry.
Saxons and Late Romans have several cavalry figures available.

What I like about Lion Rampant is that there are basically 11 units in total ( and you can tweak them with upgrades ) and the actual weapons don't really matter past missile or melee, but that means you can be pretty casual with "counts as", and although lots of the lists contain cavalry you don't have to take them.

You could do any period - Romans versus Germans - Greeks versus Persians and make viable warbands.
Let your imagination flow ..............  :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2018, 01:49:02 AM »
This is going to be fun for sure. I think I’ve found the right bunch for a pretty good price and I may buy them with the next well paid contract (which means awhile)
Still thinking of Mids list of antagonists. Lots of colour there.

https://footsoreminiatures.com/apps/iwish

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/products/sax015-mounted-saxon-characters
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #56 on: May 10, 2018, 01:04:37 PM »
This is going to be fun for sure. I think I’ve found the right bunch for a pretty good price and I may buy them with the next well paid contract (which means awhile)
Still thinking of Mids list of antagonists. Lots of colour there.

https://footsoreminiatures.com/apps/iwish

https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/products/sax015-mounted-saxon-characters
Your link goes to a page for your wish list, but ... there's nothing there! :icon_eek:

I like these early Saxons ... https://footsoreminiatures.com/collections/early-saxons

And these late Saxons are cool as well ... https://footsoreminiatures.com/collections/late-saxons

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #57 on: May 10, 2018, 01:06:16 PM »
Aiming for a game or two of Lion Rampant on Friday evening.  Going to bring my usual Late English, but might try out the German list.  Hoping to bring my camera for some pictures although the lighting in this guy's basement is less than ideal.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: May 10, 2018, 01:54:13 PM »
Must have erased my wish list 😿👆
Those saxons highlighted are the ones. Really nice sculpts and I’ll get some transfers too. Might grab the priest and the other link where some cavalry. These prices are just to good to pass up and there pretty much exactly what I want.
Good luck on your game Friday! Even if pics dont come, maybe a run thru on the game. I’ll be ordering the actual lion rule book when I receive my eBay sales. Time to support the hobby lol.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #59 on: May 10, 2018, 02:02:35 PM »
Those figures are $5 a piece.  However, if you go with one of the army deals or Saga Warband deals the cost per figure is significantly reduces.  Then supplement such a purchase with additional figures, if you're looking for more or other figures.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #60 on: May 10, 2018, 03:51:06 PM »
Yeah - Front rank nice metals - rear ranks cheap plastics.

I am still doing all mine on 20mm square bases so I can go to ranked units as well. It doesn't make a lot of difference not using round bases.

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #61 on: May 10, 2018, 04:25:25 PM »
Just went back and looked at the Footsore early Saxons and noticed the rank and file metal minis are 4 for $10, so that's at $2.50 a piece, and the rest of the leaders, nobles, and cavalry are the $5 figures.  So basically a Saga army deal throws in the leaders for free, so not that much of a big deal.  And I'd want to have some of the figures that aren't in the Saga army deal anyway.

And yes, 20mm squares are how I've based my Late English units for Lion Rampant, and then I can also use them for other square based systems on sabots if desired.

My Lion Rampant units for a German army are all from my GW Empire figures which are naturally on the 20mm squares.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #62 on: May 11, 2018, 12:24:51 AM »
Upgraded wish list. Now a member so I think the link will be valid. I’ve sold enough scots Guard, lifeguard, coldstream guards to find this by the end of the month 😸
Yay!

https://footsoreminiatures.com/cart
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #63 on: May 11, 2018, 07:34:58 AM »
Maybe if I become a "member", then I can see it?  Might give it a go at some point, when I feel the calling to maybe buy some.  However, Footsore shows to Historicon (this year in Lancaster PA) and so maybe if I go, then I'll buy some.

By the way, I have their Skraelings.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #64 on: May 12, 2018, 01:16:41 PM »
It was very good to have played a Lion Rampant game last night.  So glad I played prior to next week's mini tourney.

The lists were from the rule book as usual ... Norman (attacker) vs. German (defender) on a 6' x 4' playing area.

Scenery included a 12"x6" wooded area placed across the center line, maybe 2/3rd towards the defenders area, and on one flank.  In the center, more towards the defender's side of the board than the attacker's, was a small round hill, 6"x6".  And on the other flank there was a 6"x6" woods resting on the back of the defender's side, and an oval shaped hill 10"x6" mostly on the attacker's side although resting on  the center of the playing area.

I placed the mounted crossbows on my left flank, and then left to right ... one unit of foot sergeants, unit of crossbows w/pavises, second unit of foot sergeants, and then the mounted men-at-arms on the right flank beyond the copse of trees at the back.

The Norman player had his bidowers on his right flank, followed by two units of foot sergeants, and then his crossbows, and then his two units of mounted men-at-arms.

First few turns saw the German crossbows take the center hill, and the Norman crossbows take the other hill with everyone's foot sergeants alongside their crossbows.  Then I launched my mounted men-arms against the Norman crossbows driving them off the hill, but then being attacked by the Norman cavalry and eliminated.  On the other flank, the bidowers got into the woods and the mounted crossbows went around the flank, but weren't effectively used.  My center held for a good bit, but was being outflanked by the remaining Norman cavalry, so it was probably just a matter of time.  We called the game because it was getting late, yet both of us had a good opportunity for reviewing the rule which was the whole idea anyway.

I'm looking forward to next weekend!

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #65 on: May 12, 2018, 02:09:52 PM »
Awesome!👆
I can get a really good image of the troops storming the hill and getting counter charged.
Came across this on eBay. Will need a lot of work and not sure if I’m up for it but it’s 2 lots of 51 foot saxons.

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F312125864879

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.ca%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F292550597323
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #66 on: May 12, 2018, 03:27:40 PM »
Those figures would need a lot of work.  Would you strip the paint and start over?

The price is about 50 cents per figure (not including the postage), and the mailing time could be a good bit.

I'd prefer the Footsore figures from an aesthetic perspective.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: May 12, 2018, 03:54:56 PM »
Agree with your assessment. I don’t think I have it in me to work on these.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #68 on: May 12, 2018, 04:47:21 PM »
I'm almost tempted, but like you guys say it's a decent amount of work. I don't even mind that as much but there's just other sculpts and models I think I'd rather get first.

There's just to much good stuff out nowadays.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #69 on: December 09, 2019, 11:21:46 AM »
Got in two games of Lion Rampant this past Saturday.  Table top was 6'x4'.

My opponent had a 24 point army patterned after his study of Scandanavia during late middle age/early renaissance.  He had two mounted crossbow units, two fierce foot, two bidowers, and a unit of crossbows.  I opted to use my German army with its mounted men-at-arms, mounted crossbows (yes, those are the ones ... lol), two units of foot sergeants, and a unit of crossbows with pavise.

The first game was more a matter of getting re-adjusted to the rules and the German army list.  We scattered 4 buildings as obstacles, two forests, and two hills.  I wasn't coordinating my troops properly, and relearning the rules was easy, yet effected game play, and I lost in a straight up fight.

In the second game, using the same two armies, we rolled on the charts for a scenario and it was Bloodfeud, me being the defender.  The attacker must kill my leader to win. Terrain used two large fields for rough ground in the center, two hills in defender's half of board, one building to one side of the center fields, one large forest to the other side straddling the center line of the the board.  We alternated placing terrain and then allowed the defender to move one piece up to 12 inches in any direction (one of the hills moved closer to my area of defense).  I put my leader in with the mounted men-at-arms, and used them heavily this time, and much better co-ordination between units, but he slowly picked off figures, and I eventually lost my leader, too.  It was a much closer game and it came down to the very end, with only 6 units remaining on the board.

The fierce foot weren't overly weighted and seemed like a balanced unit.  The bidowers can be quite the tricky units.  I liked having the pavise with my crossbows.  Initially forgot about how the mounted units of 6 figures use 12 dice anyway, and then 6 at half strength, but thank goodness they do or the horse units wouldn't be close to being useful.

Playing these got me motivated again to get cracking on my hobby storage unit, and get back to doing some painting asap.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #70 on: December 09, 2019, 05:27:33 PM »
Great report!👆
Getting me hyped to get things rolling. Just picked up a dining room table 7’ long with 3 ‘ of inserts from my bosses house. I told him it was a step down for such a nice table to become a base for tabletop gaming. He laughed and said it was a step up from the dump for it so I don’t feel too bad 😸

Nice cameo of the mounted crossbow men btw!
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #71 on: December 09, 2019, 05:58:07 PM »
By the way, this past May picked up a copy of the newest rules in the Lion Rampant series ... Patriots and Rebels.  These are set up for F&I War through to Amer. Civil War (not the one folks are so afraid of in that other thread, I mean the real one).  They also have ideas for the late AWI, War of 1812 (including Canadians) 1830's Canadian war rebellion (or some such), Texan and Mexican wars, maybe a couple others.

Interestingly this new set does away with the ending of a player's turn if a unit doesn't make it's action role, and instead a player just moves on to the next unit.  Think that makes more sense for this time period, and suspect it might even quicken play.  However, might save this rules set for it's own thread since it ain't in line with Renaissance nor Medieval gaming, like Lion Rampant and Dragon Rampant, and Pikeman's Lament.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2019, 08:57:21 PM by GamesPoet »

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #72 on: December 09, 2019, 06:23:55 PM »
Did not realize that patriots and rebels were an extension of LR. Was just looking over at the osprey site and saw the book. I have downloaded DR and LR rules but I still would like the physical editions as well. Very well priced I might add
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #73 on: December 09, 2019, 08:31:29 PM »
LR, DR, Pikeman's Lament, and Rebels and Patriots are all built on the same chassis.

R&P has some significant differences like ... close order versus open order, and the distance between bases having to be closer than in the other rule sets.  These make for a better take on the formations of the era, compared to the others.  Plus I already mentioned the player's turn not coming to an end when an activation role isn't successful on one unit.  One seeming bugaboo with R&P might be the ranges being shorter for skirmish troops over line troops, although maybe there is a decent explanation somewhere, haven't found it yet though.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #74 on: December 09, 2019, 08:47:17 PM »
Interesting GP
I seem to have missed that connection to Lion Rampant

Mentioned elsewhere I indulged in the Warlord Games Black Friday Sale on FIW (Black Powder) stuff - with half a mind on the news that there will be
a revised 2nd Edition of Muskets and Tomahawks next year.

I have been pondering long and hard how to base the figures.
My Wild West stuff has all been done on 25mm round bases, as there is generally no unit formations in most of the era rules sets, but FIW does throw up some confusion as there is a mix of 'formed-up' and skirmish units.
I am leaning at the moment to doing the British and French "Soldiers" on square bases and the Native Americans and skirmishers like Rangers on round bases.
However I have been temporarily stalled with the news that Renedra - after some inspiration from Northstar - are about to produce plastic rectangular movement trays which will house 25mm round bases.
Ok I know there are mdf versions already available, but these will get the minis bases in a tighter group - only a sort of 'corner' raised area will separate the figures - mini bases will actually touch, so no surround all around the mini - hope that makes sense?

Anyway so now I think I may even base my Regular Infantry on round bases.

Maybe we should have a thread for FIW era?