home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 680943 times)

Offline zifnab0

• Members
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #2350 on: July 17, 2014, 01:29:33 PM »
Must be female.  It's nice to see a female model without boob armor.

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #2351 on: July 17, 2014, 01:35:22 PM »
The model does seem to have a codpiece; I would assume it is a male, but just a bit of a dandy. 
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #2352 on: July 17, 2014, 02:24:58 PM »
Half Elf enlisted for the Empire?

Ace Model!

MUST GET MORE GREATSWORDS!!!!

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #2353 on: July 17, 2014, 02:53:55 PM »
If I remember correctly, it is supposed to be a female from his facebook posting about this month's sculpts.

The photo looks amazing.  I have been wanting to order some hasslefree stuff for a while, this one might just tip me over the edge to do it.

WK, you should have Kev White do some of your humans, eh?
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:59:58 PM by Timbor »
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

Paint Log: link  Blog: My Life in Millimetres

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #2354 on: July 17, 2014, 03:19:23 PM »
It's a female with realistic breastplate. I've read somewhere the breastplates with boobs we all know and love in fantasy would most likely kill the wearer instead of save her.

Timbor, I did enquire once about a commisison with him for another project, but he doesn't take any at the moment and at any rate, I likely couldn't afford him anyway.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #2355 on: July 17, 2014, 03:25:03 PM »
It's a female with realistic breastplate. I've read somewhere the breastplates with boobs we all know and love in fantasy would most likely kill the wearer instead of save her.

I would say that it is 100% female, very nice model.   A nice captain or greatsword champion.

The problems with angle's in fantasy armour is something which is as much a problem in male models as female models though.  The boob plate would turn attacks in rather than out which would be a problem for the wearer.   Shoulder plates tend to have the same problem.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #2356 on: July 17, 2014, 04:52:35 PM »
Timbor, I did enquire once about a commisison with him for another project, but he doesn't take any at the moment and at any rate, I likely couldn't afford him anyway.

Well, just a few more overtime shifts and you should be good to go, right?  :engel:
If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason. - J.H.

• Members
« Reply #2357 on: July 18, 2014, 04:13:19 AM »
On a less great news it seems that Defiance games is no more and with their last Kickstarter just tried to grab as much money as possible from investors before ending the business......

Offline White Knight

• Members
« Reply #2358 on: July 18, 2014, 08:06:59 AM »
Well, to be honest, with all the negative publicity about them dating from long before the Kickstarter about taking people's money for product that didn't exist, it would have been surprising if it ended otherwise.

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #2359 on: July 18, 2014, 11:12:59 AM »
Well, to be honest, with all the negative publicity about them dating from long before the Kickstarter about taking people's money for product that didn't exist, it would have been surprising if it ended otherwise.

This.  But do you have a link?  I see nothing on the KS page, and their website is still running (store perpetually closed for maintenance).  Was there a news release or something?

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #2360 on: July 18, 2014, 03:34:36 PM »
There was some stuff back inJanuary where they were supposed to be making miniatures for a kickstarter for a new game "Torn Armor" and they got money but didn't deliver, and then could not find the cash to give back - even though their own kickstarter was still going .............

Cannot say I'd heard any buzzes lately - mind you after the bodge up of Wargames Factory and then starting up this, I haven't considered ever buying anything off them.
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #2361 on: July 18, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »
Yeah, I know about that whole debacle but had not heard anything recent about them 'officially' going under.  (Other than the fact their webstore has not been open for months and they have not made any posts online...)

• Members
« Reply #2362 on: July 18, 2014, 04:11:47 PM »
http://www.brueckenkopf-online.com/?p=112998

Article on a German hobby site warning about the company. Facebook site is also down. The hobby site will also try to figure out if the persons involved try to go for a new company and warn people about those too.

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #2363 on: July 18, 2014, 11:29:30 PM »
Is it male or female - I'm confused.

Admitting to be confused is not politically correct.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #2364 on: July 19, 2014, 04:48:48 AM »

Maybe it's not ideal in terms of deflecting weapons trajectories, but if the wearer has mass (be it breasts or otherwise) it needs to be accommodated somehow. Armour for men with  large belly had to accommodate their physique, right?  Not trying to be a smart-ass, just realistic. I don't think I've found as much to criticize about women's fantasy armour that accommodates their physique so much as I can be critical of stupid armour that leaves a lot of it exposed.

That particular figure does look female, though. And that's something that doesn't always require huge beasts (in spite of most fantasy & sci-fi art...) and it's a credit too the sculptor they got that across. It's a nice sculpt.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #2365 on: July 19, 2014, 12:34:49 PM »
Maybe it's not ideal in terms of deflecting weapons trajectories, but if the wearer has mass (be it breasts or otherwise) it needs to be accommodated somehow. Armour for men with  large belly had to accommodate their physique, right?  Not trying to be a smart-ass, just realistic. I don't think I've found as much to criticize about women's fantasy armour that accommodates their physique so much as I can be critical of stupid armour that leaves a lot of it exposed.

In fact womens' fantasy armour that accommodates their physique is much more dangerous to them than the stupid armour that leaves a lot of it exposed.

There is indeed armour that is built for men of ample stature.   If you go to the collection of Prince Fredrick [I think] in the Hofburg in Vienna you will see a very fine example.   The structure of the armour doesn't change though, it is just wider.   Armour for fat men follow the same lines or structural design as armour for thin men.
Therefore the logical conclusion is that armour for a large breasted woman would look the same on the outside as armour for a small breasted women.   I would just be slightly wider.
Remember also that a very thick tunic was worn under the armour, the thickness of which could be padded [at the bottom for a large breasted woman or the top for a large bellied man] in order to fill out the armour [though that is just me conjecturing].   What I noted from the armour designed for fat men is that the design did not change to facilitate the belly.

The reason that the boob plate is more dangerous than the chain-mail bikini has a lot to do with weight.   Armour is a compromise between mobility and defense.   Wearing armour increases your defense against blows but compromises your mobility.   A woman wearing a chain mail bikini [if one was ever stupid enough to wear such a thing] would be nimble.   Women wearing the sort of leather slips that are more common than the chainmail bikini would be very nimble and the best defense against a blow is not to be their when it lands.

The boobplate on the other hand has all the disadvantages of full plate armour [in its weight, even if that weight is well distributed] and in the way it effects your ability.   It is not just that it is not idea in deflecting weapons trajectories it is horrific.   It turns all blows from the outside in rather than from the inside out and so concentrates the force of the attacks on the very area [between the breasts and neck] that you most want to protect.

Fighting with little or no armour is a viable style if you know what you are doing.   It is even more viable if you have a shield.   While the chainmail bikini is indeed stupid a leather bikini or a cloth bikini would be a perfectly viable armour choice for a warrior who was practiced in a very fluid, nimble style.   A boobplate is never a viable armour for anybody.

I wouldn't worry about it too much though.   Fantasy armour tends to be about what is cool, not what is practical.

This for example is a very bad suit of armour.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2014, 12:49:03 PM by commandant »

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #2366 on: July 19, 2014, 01:22:16 PM »

This for example is a very bad suit of armour.

The armour was his least problem - he lost a finger and crumbled. What a wimp.

• Members
« Reply #2367 on: July 19, 2014, 01:31:54 PM »
Most likely what Joan of Arc had as a piece of armour

Regarding the extra space I donīt think that most women run around with double d silicone bazookas in ye olde world.

Offline commandant

• Members
« Reply #2368 on: July 19, 2014, 01:51:52 PM »
Regarding the extra space I donīt think that most women run around with double d silicone bazookas in ye olde world.

And not the sort that needed armour

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #2369 on: July 22, 2014, 04:16:52 PM »

About these Pro Gloria miniatures:

It was mentioned that they look kind of similar to some of GW's Empire plastics - and in my opinion they actually look better (because of the details etc.). I just read, that the sculptor of those minis is Michael Anderson, who also did most of the current Empire plastic infantry for GW.

So I'm wondering ... there must be someone at GW, who has the last word on miniature design and who tells the hired sculptors: "This is looking too good - make it look a bit worse." Why he would do that, I do not know, but that's the only attempt at an explanation I have to explain this discrepancy.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 04:20:10 PM by Victor »

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #2370 on: July 22, 2014, 04:20:38 PM »
the only shitty models are the state troops. Did Mike anderson sculpt those?

anyway, the shittiness is down to design choice, not sculpting skill.

obviously they thought shoeless monkeys and slack jawed retards were a more fitting aesthetic than professional soldiers.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

• Members
« Reply #2371 on: July 22, 2014, 04:49:15 PM »
While we all wanted the Pro Gloria look of "STATE....troopers."

Now redo the detachment system and I will get some 80 of those suckers.

Offline Cal1989

• Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/Cal1989
« Reply #2372 on: July 22, 2014, 05:35:12 PM »
New Avatars of War Humans.

'The extent of a Man's wisdom and goodness will bring him fame, and even death will not extinguish his memory nor his glory, beauty or youth or whatever else'. - Giles of Paris

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #2373 on: July 22, 2014, 05:42:23 PM »
the only shitty models are the state troops. Did Mike anderson sculpt those?

I don't know. Looking at those Pro Gloria minis leads me to believe that he did the Greatswords and Archers (which are the good infantry kits - the flaggelants are also rather bad in my opinion.).

anyway, the shittiness is down to design choice, not sculpting skill.

That's what I'm saying. Who is is responsible for those decisions? He needs new glasses I think.

obviously they thought shoeless monkeys and slack jawed retards were a more fitting aesthetic than professional soldiers.

:-D  Don't forget the awkward pose, which is my biggest complain with those models. But who cares, when those Pro Gloria Minis are on the horizon!
« Last Edit: July 22, 2014, 05:48:57 PM by Victor »

Offline Timbor

• Members
« Reply #2374 on: July 22, 2014, 06:59:34 PM »
Hey, I love the flagellants! (ridiculously huge weapons aside)

Can't wait for the Pro Gloria stuff to be released.