home

Author Topic: Gamer thread  (Read 790786 times)

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
Re: Gamer thread
« Reply #11325 on: January 12, 2019, 03:18:29 PM »
Quote warlord: I am a big believer in the lessons of mario

I loved the Mario games. Still have the original system and game, Nintendo 64, and super Mario systems and Mario carts which was a blast. My favourite being super Mario. Made it thru most of that game and my son deleted the saved portion. Never played again and the same with Skyrim + expansion. (9 something or other) had a super high level and that mysteriously was deleted. Gave up on that again. On reflection there could have been more purpose in those accidents than I realized at the time 😸
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11326 on: January 12, 2019, 04:40:32 PM »
Huh that sounds like an interesting TED talk, I'll have to dig it up to search later.

My buddy and I are playing through Diablo 2 multiplayer together and it's pretty fun. I have no idea whats going on in the plot because instead of reading everything we tend to just kill things and rush on to the next quest. I've discovered my buddy is remarkably competitive in RPG's like this which he usually isn't. Normally we're pretty cooperative, but now he's got to be the one rushing ahead to kill the boss. Loot sharing is fine, but who gets the kills has apparently become more important.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11327 on: January 15, 2019, 10:51:45 AM »
this annoys me when you need kills to proc abilities, and I have to tell my buddy I play with not to just instantly kill everything.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11328 on: January 16, 2019, 01:01:38 AM »
Yeah I'm with you. Luckily its not to bad, not to the point of actually being an annoyance. So much as just something I've noticed. I tend to just spend the time chatting and killing whatever I come across while he can bee line for bosses and quest stuff. Its when he eventually wants to tee off and "Just try fighting each other, just once, for fun!" That I expect more competition to crop up.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #11329 on: January 16, 2019, 11:55:28 AM »
I've just seen Battletech is basically Waypoint's 2018 GOTY, listened to a podcast about it, now watching their "lets play".

Now... fighting.... battletech buying urges. Waiting for the next steam sale and cross I just missed "sale season" they run from thanksgiving to january
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #11330 on: January 16, 2019, 01:57:04 PM »
12 years ago, I used to waste spend so much time playing Star wars: Knights of the old republic. I still have the game [and its lacklustre sequel] but they don't work on my current P.C. I noticed a used copy of the X box version for sale in a pawn brokers the other day and chose not to buy it as that would mean I would have to buy an old school X box.
I've instead slated my KOTOR thirst by watching youtube walkthroughs and laughing at others mistake.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11331 on: January 16, 2019, 03:45:04 PM »
Playing more Zelda:BotW. I love Kass! He's such a fun character even though he's just a quest giver. His music and stories are just so awesome.

I am in need of some more shrines so I've been hunting him down and have finished all his quests save the blood moon one. Just waiting for a blood moon to happen.
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11332 on: January 19, 2019, 02:43:09 PM »
I've instead slated my KOTOR thirst by watching youtube walkthroughs and laughing at others mistake.

Youtube helps me due to timepoor and out of practise.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #11333 on: January 23, 2019, 12:10:55 PM »
For anyone who wishes to play Knights of the old republic
1: Be nice to your companions [if you wish to kill them; you will get your chance towards the end]
2: DONT kill Juhani when you first encounter her
3: Don't waste upgrade points on skills and feats your class cant use
4: ALWAYS give Shardan the wrong sword

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11334 on: January 27, 2019, 12:21:31 AM »
Out of nowhere the urge to play Bloodborne again hit me.  I remember it being harder.  Have I finally gitted gud?  Or is overconfidence going to be my undoing further down the track?

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #11335 on: January 27, 2019, 01:21:13 PM »
I've been helping a guy play Kotor 2. I never noticed it before but Zez-el-Kies looks familiar.....really really fammiliar :-P

Offline Sig

• Members
« Reply #11336 on: January 27, 2019, 10:21:00 PM »
I got platinum on Bloodborne but the grind of chalice dungeons and the lack of true build diversity compared to Souls meant I didn’t bother with the DLC which is a shame.

Offline BAWTRM

• Members
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #11337 on: January 28, 2019, 07:32:09 AM »
My wife is a big Kingdom Hearts fan. She pre-ordered Kingdom Hearts 3 and as such got her hands on the game last Saturday already. I haven't seen her gaming so much in ages.

:biggriin:
"...granted it isn't as retarded as having a lady popping out of your head holding a cup while humping a boar with a sword through its back, but there can only be one Brettonia."

PhillyT

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11338 on: January 28, 2019, 05:53:08 PM »
I'm officially burned out of Age of Empires 2. I find the AI to be pretty horrible, and on the higher difficulty levels its not fun or tactical its just grindy, Can you hold off the massive armies the AI can make by the ten minute mark and just wear them down till everyone runs totally out of resources!? Bleh.

Killing some time instead with Insurgency, might play some AoE 3 just for a change. Otherwise I'm just playing Diablo 2 once a week with a buddy.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #11339 on: January 29, 2019, 09:53:24 AM »
Don't burn me....

But we bought a Nintendo Switch with Pokemon, Let's go Pikachu and Mario Odyssey (and NBA2k18 as it was on sale for a tenner)
I really like the whole concept of the switch as a console for the TV and a handheld mini-tabled and the Pokemon game is really fun especially for a bit younger audience combining the traditional games of red, blue and yellow with their story line with some mechanics of Pokemon Go. So no more constantly walking into battles with pokemon, they now show up on the field, so you can try to avoid them. And no more long time battling, but just the catch mechanism from Pokemon Go (this one is hitting the shin of most veteran players that they miss the old ways of lowering the cp for a better catchrate). But now you can focus more on the whole storyline and the stuff you really want to catch.

Mario Odyssey is also a really fun game especially in the 2 player mode, combining the new 3d world with some 2d minigame elements for the old feel.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11340 on: February 06, 2019, 10:08:09 AM »
I'm officially burned out of Age of Empires 2. I find the AI to be pretty horrible, and on the higher difficulty levels its not fun or tactical its just grindy, Can you hold off the massive armies the AI can make by the ten minute mark and just wear them down till everyone runs totally out of resources!? Bleh.

See, the AI is just to give you an entry level feel for the required skill level to play online. Online is where its at, where people make some real random decisions sometimes. I watch some T90 official videos and there is some interesting stuff...
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #11341 on: February 06, 2019, 12:49:54 PM »
My friends and I used to make silly levels in map editor for Age of empires.

A few years ago; I used to spend every spare moment playing The old republic; the star wars mmorpg. When I moved house in 2017, I somehow lost my connection to it. I've tried to reinstall it but have given up.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11342 on: February 06, 2019, 04:12:24 PM »
I play with a crew of guys usually which is why we tend to play against the AI. We're all vastly different skill levels, so our attempts to play against each other are to one sided. I've tried to push for us VS real people, but no one really wants to do it. They just want to grind against the AI in four hour games.

Offline Aldaris

• Members
« Reply #11343 on: February 06, 2019, 06:50:15 PM »
Picked up Battlefleet Gothic: Armada 2. Quite like it. My main gripes with the first game (the ridiculously low points limit for battles and the inability to play against friends) have been adressed. Points limit in the first game was like 800 points or something ridiculous like that? Now the campaign goes up to 1700 or so per fleet at the end, which allows for beefy and fun compositions in the late game.

The campaign is basic in features and complexity, but servicable, fun and decently written. And quite challenging I feel. You have several connected sector maps, each of which contain a number star systems you can upgrade to some degree if you own them. Some have shipyards, some give income, stuff like that. In the imperial campaign, you have access to Imperial Navy, Space Marines and AdMech. You can't mix and match those within fleets, but you can have several fleets of each. And you'll need several fleet, because you'll be fighting all over the place, a lot. You see AI movements at least one turn before they happen, and there are several ways to delay them (deploy mines in the target system, spend battle plans), so you always have a chance to react - but it's still tough, juggling fighting power, deployments and repair time. You'll also get priority missions that advance the campaign, and until you finish one, a timer ticks up that incrementally increases AI activity and aggression. That can be turned off before a campaign is started, which would make things substantially easier I think. I quite enjoy the balancing act of "well, there's several Eldar and Ork fleets attacking the Scarus sector, but I NEED to do this mission near Cadia as well...". And there's actually 3 campaigns right now (Imperial, Necrons and Nids), with a fourth one being worked on that'll be added for free.

The battles look great and feel great. I love my imperial murder space cathedrals. It's so satisfying landing a spread of torpedoes and following it up with the good old "all ahead full, ramming speed!" while blasting broadsides left and right. There's not a lot of diversity in the battle types outside the campaign story missions. It's either domination (capture points) or classic cruiser clash - clean up the battlefield. That's all right though. The multitude of factions (all the factions are in), map types, and complications like space stations, nebulae and the like keep things interesting.

There's some stuff I don't like. for example, you'll always have a limit in battles in how many points can be on the field at any one time. So you might have 2 fleets with 500 points each in a system, and the points limit for the battle is 750. Now what happens is you get your full first fleet and as close to 250 points from the second fleet as possible, with the rest in reserve until ships die or disengage. But you don't have any control over what you start with (apart from what is your first, second and potentially third fleet in the fight) - and that sucks, because I'd like control over what I have on the field at the beginning, and priorities for einforcements. I hope that'll get patched in at some point.
Some of the planet/system attributes seem poorly thought out. Agri worlds in the Imperial campaign give a bonus that's completely negigible, so upgrading those is a waste of money IMO. Another thing: the game does a poor job of explaining itself. So figuring some details out took some time for me. It's mostly small stuff like that I have problems with, nothing really major.

Overall, it's good. The game is good, and hey, the setting is fucking Battlefleet Gothic. I'd recommend it!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 07:10:03 PM by Aldaris »

Offline Brad

• Members
« Reply #11344 on: February 07, 2019, 08:49:34 AM »
I've played a few SP skirmishes but haven't got into the campagins yet.  RTS games aren't really my thing.

I picked up Gladius on sale a few weeks ago, right as the Tyranid expansion came out.  If you like Civilisation-style games it's pretty good.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11345 on: February 07, 2019, 03:56:11 PM »
As per the "King Arthur" thread, I have been on a bit of a dark age kick. That said is TW: Attila worth it?
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11346 on: February 10, 2019, 10:03:03 AM »
I play with a crew of guys usually which is why we tend to play against the AI. We're all vastly different skill levels, so our attempts to play against each other are to one sided. I've tried to push for us VS real people, but no one really wants to do it. They just want to grind against the AI in four hour games.

Thats a shame. We all picked it up the last year of school and mostly are consistent skill levels. Playing against AI only would be boring. Trying some FFA might really freshen you guys up though. Strongest end up fightibg each other while weaker gain strength and come from nowhere. Mix it up with Nomad or king of hill. Dont always play conquest.

:eusa_clap:

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11347 on: February 10, 2019, 10:23:42 PM »
Very good plan! I've convinced them to do some 2 V 2 with a stronger and weak player on either side to mix it up a bit. King of the Hill or Nomad might be some really interesting options.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #11348 on: February 12, 2019, 03:35:14 AM »
in BOTW I just beat the trials of the sword!   :happy:

I had 2 ancient arrows to spare all said and done. I also finished getting the last of the horse gear. I need to go through and double check but I think I have done all side quests and shrines (120 shrines and armor of the wild done!). If so I need to find some more koroks to unlock all the bow and shield slots and then its off to Goron city to finish the last divine beast!
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #11349 on: February 13, 2019, 02:38:37 AM »
Very good plan! I've convinced them to do some 2 V 2 with a stronger and weak player on either side to mix it up a bit. King of the Hill or Nomad might be some really interesting options.

Migration and crater lake are interesting ones too, as well as gold rush. The stronger players will expand and go for the resources, but will fight each other while the weaker players have time to build strength.

Arena also gives some protection from rushing, but is a bit empty in the middle though.

Throw some regicide in too which can make things interesting because players can snipe other players by bringing saboteurs and archers to quickly kill an unsuspecting ally...

There are some bonkers community made maps on voobly. Forest nothing is pretty popular, but I think Pilgrims nothing is really interesting. Relic nothing will have everyone behaving like a beginner again.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 03:02:51 AM by Warlord »