home

Author Topic: Other Manufacturers  (Read 668313 times)

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
Re: Other Manufacturers
« Reply #3250 on: April 30, 2018, 08:49:33 PM »
so for the halberds and zweihaender, since they say plastic and metal components does that mean it is the same exact plastic sprue as for the pikemen (i.e. with the pike arms) and then in addition metal halberd arms? those extra arms would be quite usable on some of the GW bodies.
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline hamster

• Members
  • doesn't have pictures of the sprue
« Reply #3251 on: May 01, 2018, 01:39:02 AM »
so for the halberds and zweihaender, since they say plastic and metal components does that mean it is the same exact plastic sprue as for the pikemen (i.e. with the pike arms) and then in addition metal halberd arms? those extra arms would be quite usable on some of the GW bodies.

will say as soon as I get my hands on them
There is no wrong state to play as, except for middenland

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3252 on: May 05, 2018, 08:07:50 PM »
Got mine today.

To recap the Pikemen box:
It says 30 Pikemen and you get 5 sprues with 6 bodies and 9 heads - BUT you also get a half-size command sprue with bits to make an extra body so 31 in total as far as I can see.

The Zweihanders box has 4 sprues - the same armoured bodies (24) of the pikemen and the same choice of 9 heads. 2 Sprues are straight from the pikemen box, but you get 2 sprues where the pikes are changed for plastic two-handed swords. There are 6 sword arms on each sprue so maximum 12 zweihanders in total.
There are 12 separate metal halberd right arms.
No command sprue.
So you could do 12 and 12 and have 12 pikearms (right) left over BUT you have to use the left arms for the metal halberds - however I suspect some Edition 6 Soldiers of the Empire left arms will work with other plastic bodies one might have  :engel:

The Missile weapons box has 5 sprues with 6 different bodies (unarmoured) - again 9 heads BUT only 4 of them are the same as on the pikemen and zweihander sprues.
You get 6 crossbows and 6 handguns on each sprue so you can make however many you like up to 30 in total.
No command sprue.

So there is some flexibility with 14 different heads across the sets. I think I am going to do some research on the different 'looks' of Pikemen and Landsknechts.
Warlords say they cover German/Tyrol and Early Swiss on the box, but I also have metal Foundry, Artizan, and even Warlord's ECW plastic pikemen with morion helmets and it may be interesting to see if the heads from that set could be interspersed with these latest Italian Wars ones.

I am also waiting - along with GP - for the figures from a Kickstarter which also come into the reckoning. So I have about 200 figures to sort into appropriate regiments and styles.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2018, 08:12:47 PM by Midaski »
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #3253 on: May 19, 2018, 05:03:28 AM »

Just learned that the Goblin Factory halflings are once again available. (As well as their other small ranges.)

http://slave2gaming.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=72

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3254 on: May 22, 2018, 10:45:42 AM »
These look quite good - Victrix Vikings

Plastic - the bodies all look the same though. Maybe back rankers to build up units?

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #3255 on: May 23, 2018, 05:15:58 AM »
I read somewhere that this is just one of several bodies that will be in the kit.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3256 on: May 23, 2018, 08:04:59 AM »
I read somewhere that this is just one of several bodies that will be in the kit.

Ah - good.
It did seem slightly unusual in these days of versatile plastic kits to go with one body, 2 heads and 3 weapon arms  :engel:

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3257 on: May 23, 2018, 09:34:04 AM »
Goblin Factory has made quite the range of "shortling" back there!

With the Vikings from Victrix, that'd be terrible if the figures all looked like that.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3258 on: July 20, 2018, 06:49:19 PM »
The sprue for the new plastic Oathmark humans from NorthStar

Looks like all the options of weaponry are available for all 5 bodies.
I also assume these will work with previous Frostgrave plastic figures - should lead to some wonderful conversion options

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3259 on: July 20, 2018, 11:01:16 PM »
Looks good! :icon_cool: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #3260 on: July 22, 2018, 03:21:20 AM »

I also assume these will work with previous Frostgrave plastic figures - should lead to some wonderful conversion options

Looking forward to these. Saw a comment on FB that they will work with Frost grave bits. Not crazy about the rectangular shields, but I like everything else and have plenty of other options for shields.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3261 on: July 22, 2018, 11:30:30 AM »

Looking forward to these. Saw a comment on FB that they will work with Frost grave bits. Not crazy about the rectangular shields, but I like everything else and have plenty of other options for shields.

……….. but you are not allowed to buy any new models  …………………..  :engel:

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #3262 on: July 23, 2018, 11:22:07 AM »
I'll make myself a deal, if I get rid of something else, then I can get a box of these. It's all about the balance.  :wink:

Besides, there's always Christmas and my Birthday. I received a miniature Nas a gift for the first time last year (granted, it was only because of Stranger Things) so anything's possible...

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #3263 on: July 23, 2018, 06:15:15 PM »

Looks good, but aren't the shields out of place with the style of the rest of the kit? They look like ancient eastern shields of some kind.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #3264 on: July 25, 2018, 08:26:51 AM »
The shield design got my eye too.

Best to think they're context shields in the setting. Sort of low-tech Roman square shields. Or target shields of the squareish type. Or some eastern/Chinese style shields. But I would have preferred round shields. I think they would have been more universal, and would have increased the general appeal of the set. The Frostgrave mercenaries come with a round and a heather shield. I think that would have been a better combination for the human infantry too.

Another thing that struck me was the total lack of mail. Mail armour has been super common among all Eurasian cultures from the mid/late antiquity to the late medieval. Why wouldn't these warriors use it?

The shield type and lack of mail make me think these are rather poor militia guys. Maybe we will see a more professional looking soldiers kit later?

All of this said I do like the set. The only thing that keeps me from buying it immediately is that I have some thousands of unpainted minis already...

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #3265 on: July 25, 2018, 11:52:13 AM »
I like that they're lightly armoured. There are a lot of armoured or more "soldier" looking kits from Perry, Warlord, Gripping Beast, Fireforge, etc. I like the Frostgrave minis, but the winter garb & cultist robes didn't fit the look I wanted. I think this kit fills a gap.

Offline patsy02

• Members
  • Moderator in charge of Gender Equality (Honorary)
« Reply #3266 on: July 26, 2018, 02:08:34 AM »
The lack of mail is fine. It's a style choice, and mail can be covered entirely by clothing. I just think the shields don't go very well with medieval european style bodies.
I agree with the inhumane treatment of animals.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #3267 on: August 05, 2018, 05:27:35 PM »
Just realized they all have brigandine jackets, so are actually well armoured! :)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3268 on: August 06, 2018, 10:28:40 AM »
Question: does anyone own the Black Tree Designs skeletons, specifically spearmen and halberdiers? If so, do the shields come separate or are the moulded as part of the figure. I want to convert them into pikemen but that won't work if they have shields.

I have e-mailed Black Tree but they are not renowned for speed of reply.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #3269 on: August 06, 2018, 12:04:22 PM »
The ones which Zero Twentythree bought last year came without shields, I'm 95% certain. Really nice miniatures, too.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3270 on: August 06, 2018, 01:11:23 PM »
I have just scoured zero 23's old posts and I agree it seems 95% likely.

(edit) Now I have checked 023's blog and am 100% convinced (https://www.zerotwentythree.com/2017/02/jtc-crossbow-for-now-more-undead-for.html)
« Last Edit: August 06, 2018, 07:32:25 PM by Padre »
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Victor

• Members
  • ✠ Sol Invictus ✠
« Reply #3271 on: August 13, 2018, 11:33:27 PM »
Firefore Games are preparing for a new kickstarter and are working on some ... let's say "Game of Thrones inspired" miniatures. Some of those minis are looking quite nice so far and seem to be very close to GW mini scale:

https://fireforge-games.com/content/13-forgotten-world

They are also working on various undead, which look decent ... for undead ... you know what I mean. Certainly a million times better than the old GW Zombies.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #3272 on: August 13, 2018, 11:54:09 PM »
I love these sooo much
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #3273 on: August 14, 2018, 12:05:42 AM »
The undead are ... erm ... delicious??!

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #3274 on: August 14, 2018, 08:41:48 AM »
The Oathmark humans from Northstar are launching today.

Compatible with the Frostgrave sets - so Soldiers, Cultists, Barbarians, Crewmen - the mind boggles at the conversion opportunities.

Interesting helmet ………………

It seems we have a veritable feast of new human soldiers - now we just need a good big battle rules set .  :engel: