home

Author Topic: What Paints do you use?  (Read 2920 times)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
What Paints do you use?
« on: December 28, 2015, 12:53:59 PM »
So its been...shoot nearly 10 years since I've been in the hobby.  I used to use the citadel paints from GW and I've noticed coming back that all the names are different...and it can be a bit pricey.  The website makes the choosing of colors difficult to grab pots as some shades just seem really close.  They're primer is nearly 20 bucks!  So my question is what paints does everyone use?  Do they use the citadel ones? I've heard of vallejo paints which seem popular amongst youtube tutorialists.  Where do you get your primer/paints and is there a specific brand that you like?

Also, anyone else get confused on the paint name changes from GW?  Where the hell is bleached bone now?!
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Warhammer-Weib

• Members
Re: What Paints do you use?
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2015, 01:14:47 PM »
Also, anyone else get confused on the paint name changes from GW?  Where the hell is bleached bone now?!

There is an official conversion chart you can use. Bleached Bone should be Ushabti Bone now.

Vallejo Model Color is pretty good. I don't use their Game Color range though because it's not suitable for wet-in-wet techniques.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:23:46 PM by Warhammer-Weib »

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2015, 01:39:33 PM »
Using Citadel /GW paints my self

Here is a conversion chart for you to match the old names to the new

http://www.dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 04:20:02 PM »
I use GW base colors (previously called foundation colors), and I always water them down.  I also use GW washes, although I've begun to try other washes by Secret Weapon and Army Painter.  Secret Weapon's soft body black seems to be a bit more glossy than I prefer, but I like their flesh wash a good bit.  Planning to try their sapphire blue soon.

I have been using an Austrailian company called Derivan.  However, they are no longer producing their MiNiS line of acrylics.  When I run out, hopefully not for a long time, I may try some of their other acrylics to see what they are like.  Shaking these paints thoroughly is a must, but well worth it.

And I use various craft store paints like Americana and Folk Art.  Occasionally some Vallejo paints, too, and perhaps more often in the future.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2015, 06:29:38 PM »
I still mostly use Citadel Colour, and mostly the old range because I stocked up after they announced the changes! The new range has lots and lots of choice and you can pretty much match most of the old ones. I hear good things about Reapers's paint range, but haven't tried them, availability isn't great here in the UK. Gaming buddies of mine like the Foundry paints; they sell them in triads so you get base colour, shade and highlight in one set which makes them easy to use, apparently.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2015, 06:41:20 PM »
Oh, and I have a few of the Reaper paints, very good.  And I also have some Coat d'Arms metals.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2015, 07:39:11 PM »
Citadel/GW: Washes.
Vallejo: Bright yellows & reds, metalics, a few browns that are equivlents of old GW colors I liked.
Craft Paints (mostly Americana because that's what's in the local store): Almost everything else.

I still have some Reaper Master Series blues, greens, and other colors but have been replacing most of those with craft paints as I run out. The craft paints seem to have improved to a pretty good/consistent quality that I'm using them for everything other than the specific Citadel & Vallejo colors mentioned above.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2015, 07:45:58 PM »
Humbrol enamels, of course.

Why, is there some other kind of paint I haven't known about for 37 years?
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2015, 10:11:32 PM »
Padre sounds crazy*, but his minis look great, so he may be onto something!

*it's probably 37 years of inhaling paint thinners...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2015, 03:07:51 AM »
I used enamels in my younger years, but they weren't Humbrol.  If Padre uses Humbrol, they must be good!

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2016, 01:18:48 AM »
How about primers? GW's seem to be pretty expensive compared to more generic ones.  :eusa_wall:
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 10:55:19 AM »
I still swear by the GW sprays for miniatures, though they are becoming a crazy price I have never had any issues with them. I tried Army Painter and wasn't impressed so far, worse adhesion and a rough finish. But I'm going to switch to cheaper cans (car paint from Halfords) for larger projects like scenery from now on to try and save a few pounds.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2016, 01:16:57 PM »
Paying the GW price for spray primer is a bit too much, especially when there are other acceptable brands available.

I haven't had an issue with Army Painter.  However, I recommend Krylon which is usually available in craft stores like Michael's in the States.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2016, 01:47:19 PM »
Yeah, if I was in the US I would use Krylon, it's very hard to get in the UK.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2016, 03:29:24 PM »
I've also used Krylon for a very long time. Tried some other hardware store brands, and they werent as good. Around here, Krylon has dissappeared from hardware stores in recent years and I can only find it at Michael's, as GP points out.