home

Author Topic: Upcoming and Current Movies ...  (Read 176937 times)

Offline KTG17

• Members
Re: Upcoming and Current Movies ...
« Reply #1425 on: February 03, 2020, 07:03:34 PM »
Not sure where to put this. I’m sure there’s a podcast thread somewhere but can’t locate it.
This is about Dan Carlin’s Hardcore History podcast. I’ve just finished show #50 Blueprint of Armageddon. And starting #51 BoA #2.
Very dynamic and thought provoking lesson on recent military history (Napoleon to WW2) so far.
Got it on Spotify and now can’t listen to anything else.
I can’t do an explanation any justice. Just try listening a bit. Really amazing way of recapping everything we already know and terrifying us further.

Dude, just started listening to this and the first 6min had me hooked. And I totally agree:

No single person has had a greater impact on the world in the last 110 years than Gavrilo Princip.

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1426 on: February 14, 2020, 03:15:18 AM »
So the new Sonic movie is getting good reviews from both critics and audiences. Thats a thing.  :eusa_clap:
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1427 on: February 15, 2020, 04:47:32 AM »
So the new Sonic movie is getting good reviews from both critics and audiences. Thats a thing.  :eusa_clap:
He's running rings around Birds of prey

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1428 on: March 05, 2020, 01:50:46 AM »
Saw Sonic with my son. He loved it. I thought it was fine / as expected.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1429 on: March 05, 2020, 10:10:18 AM »
I took my two boys. It made me laugh out loud on several occasions, so it's got a good score from me. I laughed most at the little moment with the world's biggest rubber band ball.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #1430 on: March 05, 2020, 01:31:08 PM »
I took my two boys. It made me laugh out loud on several occasions, so it's got a good score from me. I laughed most at the little moment with the world's biggest rubber band ball.

Glas to hear.
The ads spoiled that ribber band ball joke here  :-(
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1431 on: March 22, 2020, 05:18:57 AM »
I'm on a bit of a Pirate kick this last week or so. We've watched Treasure Planet, then Muppet Treasure Island, and then the 1950s Treasure Island, Peter Pan, Hook, and now starting Pirates of the Caribbean. I also picked up Treasure Island on Audible.

Of the 3 Treasure Islands I've watched (all are on Disney +) I have to say, Treasure Planet is the best of the 3. The Muppet one is a great parody, and the 1950s one is closest to the book (so far that I have read). Treasure Planet (TP) has a better adventure story with amazing characters, relationships, universe, aesthetic, and perhaps the best iteration of Silver (and my favorite versions of Smollett, Arrow, and Jim). In a blink and you miss it scene at the beginning, you can see Silver's silhouette leading the pirates to the Inn to find Billy Bones. I love that little detail! Jim and Silver has the most complex relationship and the ending that's scripted for Silver in the original story feels earned compared to the other 2 movies. I'll explain the spoiler below.

[spoiler] In TP it was Jim's decision to let him go, whereas in TI1950 and MTI it just didn't feel earned to me. That montage where we see Jim's past and his bonding with Silver and Silver really treating him like a son makes it add up at the end that Jim loves and respects Silver. Even everything post mutiny with the backstabs, Silver is looking out for Jim.  In MTI, we see Silver save Jim when the treasure has gone missing, and Gonzo and Rizzo comment that they hang out so much together making Ginzo and Rizzo jealous, however Jim letting Silver go just felt hollow to me.  It was like we were told they were friends but we just saw them goof around a bit. With the 1950 one, they did build a relationship, though tense at times. Jim seemed to let Silver go out of pity, or stress. He is quite young, and being conflicted fits, but I just didn't get that same feeling I did with TP. I can't quite put my finger on it (only watched it once) but I just wasn't sold on it. It was better than what MTI did though.[/spoiler]

They did change Silver's backstory a bit in TP, but it all just fits! The 1950s TI's Silver did have moments where he reminded me of Jack Sparrow, Jim being his Will Turner. I will say, the fighting in the 1950s TI is so clumsy that its hilarious. I am also half expecting Jim to say "gee willikers mister!" as he seemed to walk out of a stereotypical 1950s sitcom and onto the TI set.

Fun fact: The Jim from MTI grew up to be a stand up comedian and is the current voice of 2D from Gorillaz.

In summation, I cannot sing Treasure Planet's praises any more than I can without just sitting you down to watch it. Its just beautiful.

“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #1432 on: March 22, 2020, 11:32:29 AM »
I've heard Treasure Planet is one of those films that while underperforming at the box office; is well worth the watch and has a lot of praise.
I used to have a cartoon adaption of Treasure Island on video many moons ago. It was a back to back venture which also had an adaption of Moby Dick on it. I've had no luck finding it on YouTube.

Can I just say; the kiddie 1995 Treasure Island adaption with the Fred Flintstone-esque Long John is insufferable. It features numerous Family guy esque references to things which are beyond its target audiences comprehension and a Jamaican monkey. 

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1433 on: March 22, 2020, 11:55:33 AM »
I like the 1990 one best. This clip is one of my favourite parts - they even shoot a swivel gun in it! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tmRsEg7rvQ
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1434 on: April 04, 2020, 02:52:50 AM »
I saw Onward today. Its great. Watch it.

Its a literal urban fantasy where 2 boys go on a road trip to revive their father for one day, so they can meet him. Tom Holland and Chris Pratt were excellent casts.

― Jake the Dog

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1435 on: April 18, 2020, 08:55:24 PM »
I just watched the Aladdin "remake" and I loved it. I would call it an adaptation rather than a remake. Sure it hits several of the same points the original does, but the more I watched it, the less I compared it to the original and just enjoyed this new version. I felt that Beauty and the Beats was kind of the opposite and I am trying to figure out why. I think Aladdin had its own style. It really sold you this new Agrabah, new characters, and more importantly, new character arcs! With B&B I didn't feel like the content was new enough to stand on its own. Sure they added a couple of twists, but Aladdin really just said "you know what, lets tell this story a different way." Sure it starts the same, ends the same, has similar songs, etc. The thing is, there was enough newness and great writing for that newness that it felt like it came into its own.

I couldn't really rank the remakes, but so far I really liked Aladdin, The Jungle Book, and (in a guilty pleasure kind of way) Cinderella. I liked Lady and the Tramp, but it did feel like a beat for beat repeat of the original with slightly changed/added dialog. Like it was a live action directors cut. Still liked it though.
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1436 on: April 18, 2020, 10:19:53 PM »
I saw the new Aladdin a little while ago. I didn't particularly like it, but I agree it felt far more like an adaption then a remake. They hit some of the same points, but in many ways its a new story. Even though I didn't really like it, I DO really like that they tried to do something different instead of just churching out the same old-same old. That was a pretty good decision imo, and with the look of the new Mulan movie (which looks fantastic) I hope they continue that direction.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1437 on: April 25, 2020, 02:17:58 AM »
I just watched "The Little Prince" on Netflix. How did this fly under the radar? I never read the book. But from what I can piece together, this isn't intrinsically an adaptation of the book, the book takes center stage and plays an integral part of the story while also being the story, but the story revolves around a little girl whose eccentric neighbor tells her the story. Its a very complex and yet engaging story. I can't get into too much detail without spoilers so sorry if that comes off as cryptic, but its a really good movie. Its about growing up and what that means and what can get left behind. Bring tissues.

The voice talent is great, with some amazing performances by Jeff Bridges, Paul Rudd, and the voice actress of the little girl (Mackenzie Foy) was enchanting.

― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1438 on: April 26, 2020, 07:46:40 AM »
This looks like it has been filmed nicely ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4fQoOlxm9DA
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #1439 on: April 30, 2020, 04:08:41 AM »
Following up on Feanor's comments above.... We watched The Little Prince a few years ago and liked it, but the details escape me. Maybe time to rewatch?

We also watched Onward recently and all loved it. I saw a review that said it's not Pixar's best, but hits all the right keys and I agree with that. Also helping set the groundwork for getting my daughter into more fantasy gaming...  :-D

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #1440 on: May 05, 2020, 05:35:56 AM »
It's May the 4th and Disney+ released Rise of Skywalker and I finay got to see it. I'm sort of indifferent once it balances out. There were some really good parts. But they were buried in a medicore plot that seemed to borrow heavily from other films. After really enjoying tha last two movies, this one died with a whimper, not a bang. The highpoint (possibly) was the fact that a long-standing joke/oversight from the first film was rectified.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1441 on: May 20, 2020, 02:56:40 AM »
Im with you ZeroTwentyThree. It felt hollow and unearned to me.

I just watched Cromwell and it was an amazing film. I must admit that this era of history is one of my few blind spots and my knowledge is cursory at best, so I would defer to others on this forum (especially Padre) on their take of the movie. I will say it was a great film, and it was refreshing to see a war film with the troops staying in formation as opposed to pairing off in a myriad of duels. Seeing tactics and strategy of the era was also wonderful, and the political intrigue was great. I loved the production. Even the costumes were thematic (though probably historically accurate) when we see the first battle where the Kings troops (cavaliers?) in their splendid red and white fight the rabble peasant rebels (roundheads) dressed in browns and neutral colors. Then when Cromwell trains an army in Cambridge we see them adopt proper uniforms to show they are not some rabble but a professional army.

I do have a weird question regarding the Cromwell uniforms. Maybe its just the lighting or the way it was filmed, but the uniforms seemed to be black and yellow in a hornet/bee fashion, and some of the sashes worn seemed yellow too. However there were sashes and hat banners (I think that is the correct term) that appeared orange. Where they sometimes orange or is it just a trick of the film/lighting?

Has anyone seen this film and can chime in on the historical accuracy? Mine is very lacking but it was very interesting. Was the trial at the end illegal? It kind of seemed that way, especially the sentencing.

All in all it was enjoyable.

― Jake the Dog

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1442 on: May 20, 2020, 09:41:41 AM »
As a British Civil Wars reenactor and the owner of a library worht of books on the topic, I can tell you that the film is notorious for being utter tosh! There is very little historical accuracy in it - a lot of the time it's not even in the ball park.

It is as accurate a representation of what is known of Civil Wars history as the Disney Cartoon Robin Hood is a representation of very early 13th century England.

Of course none of this means it isn't fun film. I liked Disney's Robin Hood too.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1443 on: May 20, 2020, 01:10:02 PM »
I knew I'd hit a nerve!  :icon_biggrin: Care to elaborate? Especially in regards to my small questions above? I am legitimately curious.  :happy:
― Jake the Dog

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1444 on: May 20, 2020, 04:55:31 PM »
Even that scene that the clip in your post shows is wrong. Cromwell was just a backbench MP at that stage. The king was after the five members, who had escaped, and Cromwell wasn't one of them. It was years before he rose to any sort of prominence. At Edgehill he simply had command of a newly raised troop of horse, and didn't get to the battle on time. The film is a very very oversimplified affair, to a point of bad inaccuracy. But like I said it's still a fun movie, just like films can be good despite failing to be anything like the book version of a story.

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1445 on: May 20, 2020, 10:57:57 PM »
Doing some research, I have found the movie to be a its like a 1970s Braveheart. Visually/productively stunning with a fun plot, great action scenes, and an emphasis on freedom, but incredibly inaccurate other than the time, setting, and names of people (for example in Braveheart, The Battle of Stirling Bridge did not have a bridge). I find it fascinating that all of the war parts they swapped Cromwell and Farifax's historical position. In the movie Cromwell is made commander-in-chief of the New Model Army and Fairfax was a sub-commander/cavalry officer, but in reality it was the reverse. In the movie there's a montage of Cromwell training the troops.  In reality, he built a cavalry unit only because he saw how decisive the Royalist cavalry was in battle and felt that having a strong cavalry will win the war. Its sad that they did Fairfax dirty like that in the movie, and I have a small soft spot for him because I lived in Fairfax Va for 7 years.

The Wikipedia article below of the movie has a list of all the inaccuracies:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cromwell_(film)

@Padre: any fun historical fiction novels set in the period that you could recommend?
― Jake the Dog

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #1446 on: May 20, 2020, 11:36:30 PM »
Re: Historical novels, 'fraid not. I did read a lot of science fiction and fantasy as a youth, even loads of 'occult' books for a several years long roleplaying campaign, but for decades now al I have read is history books. I find them far more fascinatng than fiction.

For my Tilean campaign, for example, I read (and margin-annotated) a good number of books on the Italian renaissance period, on Florence, the Borgias, etc, plus condottieri and also a bit on the Inquisition. And that was prep for a fantasy campaign? I take my prep for my work stuff far more seriously!

BTW, when watching Braveheart, I remember mentally going "What? What? What?" when I realised they had missed the bridge out of the battle of Stirling Bridge - the very thing that allowed the Scots to attack a divided English army. Tactical and exciting. I guess the film makers thought such tactics would make the Scottish look less heroic!!

BTW#2, I once went to a wedding at Stirling Castle, and literally had to knock on the huge castle door. My girlfriend and I wondered whether the whole huge door would open, but of course a little door cut into it did!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1447 on: May 21, 2020, 12:33:47 AM »
History is usually far better than fiction.  Padre's Tilean campaign is a bit of a difference. :icon_wink:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #1448 on: May 21, 2020, 02:44:50 AM »
No worries Padre! The castle sounds awesome!

History is usually far better than fiction.  Padre's Tilean campaign is a bit of a difference. :icon_wink:
Ain't that the truth!  :biggriin:

Also I did find out that those were indeed orange sashes! Its speculated that it was because the Earl of Essex was the general and that was his color (a tawny or orange sash) and may be linked to his ancestors fighting in the Netherlands. Fairfax's was blue (so when he became CiC the officers/NCOs should have been wearing blue) but some puritans would wear black sashes. Not sure why Cromwell in the movie had a mix of yellow and orange sashes as I didn't see anything about yellow sashes yet. Although the way the movie tells the story they were technically under the army controlled by the Earl of Essex in that battle where they Essex's and Manchester's armies failed to show up. The Royalists typically wore red sashes. It was a way to tell who was on what side in battles. I came across a funny story about a Catholic Royalist cavalryman that got separate from his group. He found an orange scarf on the battlefield, put it on over his shoulder like a sash, and was able to walk past the Parliamentary forces without being accosted because they thought he was on their side. History can be funny sometimes. :::cheers:::

And the trial was a mockery so it probably wasn't legal.
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 02:47:01 AM by Feanor Fire Heart »
― Jake the Dog

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #1449 on: May 21, 2020, 10:55:05 AM »
Too early for all these sash colors in the morning. :icon_wink: :icon_lol: