home

Author Topic: Tactical Decision Game 2.4: The Plot Thickens  (Read 35523 times)

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
Re: Tactical Decision Game 2.4: The Plot Thickens
« Reply #25 on: September 24, 2012, 09:25:50 PM »
Good points...so everything ON TARGET!

The witch....must burn. If we allocate enough effort into it and she should die...I donīt really see how he will deal with the stanks.  Also I think this turn she is far enough away that either he makes no charges with the big spear block and moves the witch over...and next turn all hell will break loose with stanks and knights everywhere or we have another turn of cannonballs to the face.

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #26 on: September 24, 2012, 09:37:02 PM »
My concern is that the executioners aren't as out of the game as they look.
They could have a reasonable attempt at a charge on a STank....probably needing an 8 or 9 to make it. (i would be happy ti give them a 10 on the dice as a safe range....but its hard to control due to the random movement.

Also if we reduce the bunker in size but fail to get the mage this turn she could very well jump ship to the main spear unit if they choose to reform rather than charge our archers.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 09:44:49 PM by George »
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

• Members
« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 09:43:12 PM »
So HHG....can you tell us a bit about ranges...how likely is it that the stank puts 15 inches between the executioners and himself and still aims his big gun for the witch?

Plan b could be to park the reiksguard before the executioners. They are no longer in horde and we would strike before them Luthor could decimate their numbers with his mighty hammer.......

I would prefer moving the reiksguard over to the center too though.

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #28 on: September 24, 2012, 09:45:16 PM »
i think I like fandir's movement plan and shooting priority, but with the STank on 1 wound I prefer the positioning from Zac, but planning to shoot the harpies with the engineer and followup with the steam gun if required....otherwise the steam gun can target teh executioners.
The main priority for me with this play is to get rid of the only redirector that will stop us charging as we want in the next turn.
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

• Members
« Reply #29 on: September 24, 2012, 09:56:51 PM »
I think the reiksguard will have a hard time coming by the stank so another idea could be to place them on the hill facing the excecutioners in a way that the rear two or three ranks will touch the woods so they wonīt be steadfast...they charge up the hill...maybe make it if they make it they have 14 attacks at ws of 5 so hitting on 3+ 11 hits re rolls 13 hits wounding on 2+ 11 wounds save on 4+ 6 wounds

Knights strike back luthor makes his I kill you all move +d3 to everything and should sort out 3-4 models hitting on 3+ wounding on 2+ on 2-5 attacks

all reiksguard go before the executioners hitting on 4+ wounding on 3+ 6+ save so 10 attacks  7-8 hits 5-6 wounds horsies another 6 attacks.....well we should grind them down they fail their CR and we kill em......problem will arise should they hold or decapitate Luthor or any other funky stuff.....if we can avoid them...we should.

Offline Grazhnakk

• Members
« Reply #30 on: September 24, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »

Yup, def. avoid the executioners w/the Reiksguard. They're deadly even to heavy cav. More importantly, if we're committed to this redeploy, then we need to just do the redeploy. The Reiksguard are too important to be left to clean up the executioners. Even so, we should bring a unit of archers around to redirect the executioners - we have two turns to get the archers into position, so we should be fine there.

Have we thought about grapeshot for the cannon vs. shades? If they're in range, pepper 'em good!

Offline Friar Metick

• Members
  • Talks with hammer!
« Reply #31 on: September 24, 2012, 11:10:53 PM »
I like the idea of ganging up on the Exe unit with DGk1's and the steam tank. Take out the DR1's with the HVG(s) depending if one of them flubs its shots. If one HVG takes out the DR1's shoot the other one at the Spr unit.  :eusa_clap:

Plan A - I'd follow what many of you said charge DGK2's into hydra, charge shades with RKG's redirect to hydra if they flee. Use the Kn2's to charge fleeing shades, redirect into harpies. If this redirect charge fails angle ICk so wizard has LOS to harpies and hit them with magic.

But, looking at HHG's layout, I don't think the RKG's have line of sight to the hydra and I have a plan B. So my plan B on the east flank would be to Charge the hydra with the Dgk2's. I think this will open up a lane to the shades for KN2's to charge their flank. If they flee they will go toward the Spr unit. At that point redirect Kn2's to the harpies and then charge the shades with the RKG's and force them to flee through the Spr and DR2 units. I would not redirect the RKG's into the Spr unit - let them fail the charge and move forward a max of 6" toward them. I feel this will prevent the RKG's from having a failed charge on the shades and then exposing their flank to a charge by the Spr unit. I think dreadlord would do this and then move his DR2 unit up to redirect our ICK unit so they can't help the RKG unit. If the kn2's fail their redirect into the harpies described in this plan B then follow the plan A above for the Ick's to get line of sight to the harpies in the remaining moves part of movement phase.
Blessed be those who game.

Friar Metick

Offline mottdon

• Members
« Reply #32 on: September 24, 2012, 11:15:35 PM »
I agree with the re-deployment to the center.  I also agree that all fire needs to be directed to the metal witch's bunker.  I'm not as concerned about the executioners catching up with our forces in time to save the rest of his army.  Once they do, we should be able to have finished up the rest of his army and concentrate on them.  I also am not as concerned with losing our cannon.  If he wants to take units out of the main fight, fine by me.  I would also really like to see the Reiksgard focus on the center and stay away from the executioners.  We need to combine our army's units in order to crush his big blocks.  Focusing fire on the bunker should take care of it.

Offline Harshey

• Members
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012, 11:47:34 PM »
Ok, I think team green is pretty much in agreement.  My thoughts are pretty similar:

Charges:
1. Demi's into hydra
2. Reiksguard into shades, redirect if possible (looks unlikely)
3. Vanilla knights into harpies, redirect into shades if that's an option
4. Stank into executioners, hopefully making it

Moves:
If stank makes charge, Demi's move forward and then wheel in executioner flank to set up a flank charge. If the stank falls a couple inches short, is there the option to wheel the Demi's so that the executioners would have to wheel nearly 90 degrees to charge them, where the stank makes it an illegal charge and vice versa for the stank? I think this is the case if the stank rolls a 10 or 11

Ick, don't care much about moving them as long as we're in range for our spells. I like the harmonic convergence bubble and the comet back behind the spear bus to force them forward and make the dark riders and those 3 random warriors move. So hopefully we get 8-9 dice so we can get them both cast and then maybe iceshard on the executioners if we have one or two dice left if the stank is in combat.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2012, 11:53:23 PM by Harshey »

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012, 11:59:36 PM »
Hey HHG!  Can the Reiksguard see the Hydra? :icon_biggrin:
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline Holy Hand Grenade

• Members
  • Never leave the Province without it...
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012, 12:48:41 AM »
Team Green-  the Reiksguard cannot see the Hydra and charge it-  it is not in its LOS. 

So HHG....can you tell us a bit about ranges...how likely is it that the stank puts 15 inches between the executioners and himself and still aims his big gun for the witch?

Unfortunately, I think George has a point.  Since I am helping out Dreadlord, I was hoping you wouldn't see it.

The arrow below is 15" from the Executioners.  Not that I want to give you advice or anything...but I think you would be much better served moving that STank a full 3d6 straight towards the Sorc bunker...instead of trying to get cute and attempt to do too many things at once.  The Execs will be up your butt before you can adjust your codpiece!
   :-)

If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

HHG's TDG/TEG Dice Tracker

• Members
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012, 12:54:26 AM »
BTW-  great posts on TDG 2.4!

People are thinking hard, coming up with great ideas, and I see people getting ideas from other's ideas generating new ideas...!

Awesome stuff.  :::cheers:::
HHG

If at first you don't succeed...you either don't have enough faith or you need to bring more explosives

Offline Harshey

• Members
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012, 01:08:32 AM »
At friar, I dont see how the charge declaration of the Demi's I to the hydra will open up a lane to the shades. You declare all charges before you move them, so the knights won't be able to see them through the Demis.

I think it is important to charge the harpies first with the vanilla knights, then redirect to the shades if possible, just in ase they fail their redirect   The harpies have a better chance of going off of the board, and are a bigger nuisance to us in this game.

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012, 01:09:41 AM »
Team Green-  the Reiksguard cannot see the Hydra and charge it-  it is not in its LOS.

Well heck.  Time to reconsider. 

DGs charge Hydra.
Kn1 charge Shades flank.
IF Shades flee Kn1 THEN declare charge with Reikguard vs Shades.  We might be able to run them down out of LOS of Spears.

IF we can't see Shades with KN1 then we have to bring the STank over to cover the failed Reiksguard charge.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:17:18 AM by Noght »
"...the most incorrigible vice being that of an ignorance which fancies it knows everything..."  Camus.

Offline zifnab0

• Members
« Reply #39 on: September 25, 2012, 01:25:47 AM »
Can Kn2 see the shades?

If so, I agree with Kn2 charge shades, redirect to harpies.
Reiksguard charge shades
DG2 charge Hydra.

Seems we're mostly in agreement on what to do out east, but the west is still in flux.

Offline Friar Metick

• Members
  • Talks with hammer!
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2012, 01:35:22 AM »
At friar, I dont see how the charge declaration of the Demi's I to the hydra will open up a lane to the shades. You declare all charges before you move them, so the knights won't be able to see them through the Demis.

I think it is important to charge the harpies first with the vanilla knights, then redirect to the shades if possible, just in ase they fail their redirect   The harpies have a better chance of going off of the board, and are a bigger nuisance to us in this game.

I see your point, in our area we play it as declare a charge - opponent gives their charge reaction, execute it then move on to the next charge. With this sequence the Dgk2's could charge first to open up a lane for the kn2's to charge the shades as long as they have line of sight (meaning you are right we have to be sure when the DGK2's charge off the hill they would be below the kn2's enough to see the shades).

One other advantage to these charges we will also get +1 combat res for the Dgk2's and kn2's for charging down hill.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 01:38:10 AM by Friar Metick »

Friar Metick

Offline Ads

• Members
« Reply #41 on: September 25, 2012, 01:58:33 AM »
FYI fandir, you can have more than 5 steam points. The stank is on 6 because it generated 4 plus 2 from the misfire reducing it from 3 wounds to 1. The limitation of 5 is only at the initial generation of steam points. So you could still 3d6 move and 3 points into steam gun or cannon

Offline MrAbyssal

• Members
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2012, 02:13:00 AM »
I'm going to go with the Fandir/Windelov plan, but have the good Steam Tank skim around the edge of that forest. I like the Reiksguard redeploying away from the Executioners. We should try and leave them stranded for a turn.
There are three things each man judges another man by;

1. The size of his codpiece
2. The amount of skulls he carries
3. The length of his feather

Offline George

• Members
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2012, 02:31:05 AM »
I feel like we will lose the STank with 1 wound next turn.
The best use I see for him is to delay the executioners if possible. I'm still advocating aiming for the gap bewteen the harpies and executioners so it can't be charged. This means either the executioners spend a turn reforming to face it or Dreadlord relies on the metal mage to blow it up....which means less spells at the intact parts of our army.

STank 2 should be able to pick an angle to be outside of 14inch from the executioners and reiksgaurd will have an awkward movement to do the same.

Another crazy idea to redeploy the reiksguard would be to offer up a charge for the executioners aat a long didtance and flee from the charge. I'd be aiming for a flee angle that aims us at the side of the spears. so we can't be charged  or overrun into. This would then slow the executioners down to a 6" move max.
My Armies:
Empire
Ogres

Offline Friar Metick

• Members
  • Talks with hammer!
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2012, 02:36:37 AM »
Noght says: IF we can't see Shades with KN1 then we have to bring the STank over to cover the failed Reiksguard charge.

True dat, another good option. Then I would choose to reform the DGK1's in the west to slip past the Exe unit and head toward the 3 remaining/hiding spearmen to flush them out and threaten the Spr unit.

Friar Metick

• Members
« Reply #45 on: September 25, 2012, 02:47:26 AM »
Can Kn2 see the shades?

Man, I would love to say yes for you...but none of their models are hanging out over either side and they are down below the hill.

So the Kn does not have LOS to the Shades.

Offline Friar Metick

• Members
  • Talks with hammer!
« Reply #46 on: September 25, 2012, 02:57:20 AM »
Can Kn2 see the shades?

Man, I would love to say yes for you...but none of their models are hanging out over either side and they are down below the hill.

Dang it, you sure we don't have a tall in the saddle guy that see them.  :-D Oh well, looks like we have to charge the Rkg into the shades, if they flee hopefully they panic the hydra too(hydra looks to be out of the gen/bsb ldrshp bubble). Then we may be able to chase both units off the table (or catch one or both) with the Dgk2's and kn2's. Then redirect the kn2's into the harpies.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:01:00 AM by Friar Metick »

Friar Metick

Offline Noght

• Members
« Reply #47 on: September 25, 2012, 03:15:07 AM »
Can Kn2 see the shades?

You're killing me Smalls.  :icon_smile:

Well, IF the Reiksguard charge Shades who flee will the DGs or Kn1 see them as they run over the hill?

NVM, looked at Pic, never on the hill....

Well we can hope the Hydra panics and then declare charges in order.

We need to decide after charges where to commit the STank.  We may be forced to fight the unbuffed Execs right now, hope the Reiksguard survive and flank charge with IC.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2012, 03:22:42 AM by Noght »

Offline Harshey

• Members
« Reply #48 on: September 25, 2012, 04:16:43 AM »
Well I say commit the stank into the executioners. That's the matchup we wanted for it. If it doesn't make it, we get to steam gun, and it will hold up for a turn to let the Demis charge into the flank. If it makes the charge, the executioners will be taking a break test. On a failed charge there could be the potential for a failed panic test as well.

We will have the right side cleared up by the top of our 4. If the spears charge the reiksguard, we can flee with them and rally on our 4 to get them into the fray on 5 or 6. Or we can hold with them, they should survive for a counter. Are they in range of the BSB? That will be fine too. We're in good shape right now. What we need is to get into combat this turn with unbuffed elves while we can.

This is our turn to pull ahead, we can't give their wizard too much freedom to be offensive with their spell selection this turn.

• Members
« Reply #49 on: September 25, 2012, 04:44:19 AM »

Well, IF the Reiksguard charge Shades who flee will the DGs or Kn1 see them as they run over the hill?

This plan was posted early on and I think it is definitely doable:

If the Reik charge, the Shades would flee towards the south- which is immediately executed when declaring a Flee reaction. 

Next, the Kn could declare a charge against the Shades, because at this point they would now be able to see the Shades, forcing them to Flee again away from the Knights towards the board edge.

If the Kn make a Leadership test, they could then re-direct to the Harpies.