home

Author Topic: Debriefing of the EuroBash  (Read 2778 times)

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
Debriefing of the EuroBash
« on: July 22, 2008, 08:59:09 PM »
Okay!

Only for attendants of the EuroBash

So Shadowwolf and I have arrived in Denmark and I was thinking that we never really debriefed this grant event and discussed what was good and bad about it! And what we can do better next time we have a bash!

Also we could put our experiences about the scenarioes here? or should they be PMed to Wissenlander?

I have divided it up into 2 categories
The localities
The gaming

The localities
Reallyyyy generous offers from Peter all the way from driving people from one place to the other, getting the t shirts, food and all the very kind offers of sleeping and other accomodies!!
Hands up for that Peter! I must say that it was extremely generous of you! (and of Anne(sp?))

The gaming area was great! Not too small and plenty of terrain, beer and other refreshments. No one ever had to wait for a table to be free!

Resturants were great, easy access and so on. Again Peter's initiative was great and got us some cheap food!

The cabins. They were great in size and enough room for all of us. Except if we all met in the same hut ;)
Only downside about them was that they were a bit far out, but I think it didnt matter.

The Gaming
The Scenarios were cool, but definitely need some work and more testing.

I wanted to play everybody, so maybe not a mega battle next time?  :wink:

"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline Von Breden

• Members
  • Remembering the Eccentric
Re: Debriefing of the EuroBash
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 09:13:28 PM »
The gaming area was great! Not too small and plenty of terrain, beer and other refreshments. No one ever had to wait for a table to be free!
Me and Squeezem did... A certain head inquisitor was sitting there :-P.

Okay, so the club is indeed a cool place, I have been there before and I plan to become a member somewhere in the near future. Soth (let's not call him Peter to avoid confusion) was indeed extremely generous. Big thanks for that. Also a big thanks to those who bought me drinks, I felt kinda sorry, but I had only four euros, meaning that I couldn't give everyone one... Next year, I'll be first to give one on my tab :blush:. Great atmosphere, all the games (as far as I'm aware) were very friendly and no rules-nittpicking...

The games were cool too, especially the skirmishes :engel:. Too bad we didn't do Mordheim, but then, I forgot three of my Mordheim models at my mother's =P. McKnight, I actually say yes to another mega battle, just with EVERYBODY next time ::heretic::!

Quote from: Siberius
I never noticed your height on account of your fabulous manly imperial beard.

He who has such amazing facial hair will never be short in the eyes of his comrades!

Offline FR1DAY

• Members
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2008, 01:24:38 PM »
I'd also like to say a massive thank you to Peter, would did a fantastic job.

On the senario I played, Raid, with McKnight.

The was a fundamental problem with the number of models involved, Pts values per side and deployment. However the idea of the game was great and infitting to the campaign. The problem started with the pts values. While the attackers amount was correct. The 250pts buying around 10/12 models. I used a captain, 4 pistoliers and 5 heavy cav without barding. The defenders allowance of 250 + D6 x 10 pts was massive. The rule that half the points should be spent on militia, i.e. between 27 and 37 men gave the defender a huge number advantage. McKnight had 51 guys I beleive. It wasn't a village but a military camp! The skirmish rules don't work for this many models due to the way you take models out of action. The skirmish rules say thay are only for 12-15 models per side. This slowed the game massively because every combat became protracted and just involved endless roll off to strike first in combat. The number of defenders ment the objective building was surrounded by 3 complete walls of men. The defender really should only have 125pts of militia as villagers including a sargeant and have a 2d6 x 10 points of state/militia troops arrive from turn 5 ( of 10). There was also no deployment rules for troops. which meant we moved the attackers onto the board first turn, which worked, but deployed all 51 troops within the village area meaning far to densely populated objective. With reduced numbers of troop this might work but I feel having rules from little clusters of models outside the village, representing workers, might be good. This would give the defender the choice of attaking the objective or killing the exposed defenders but slowing them down.

McKnight made it a fun task to play it out so thanks to him.

The captain cut down a lot of defenders even when surrounded but was eventually brought down as where all the other attackers. The highlight from me was when a pistolier was charged by 2 militia only to down both of them with his stand and shoot on a double 6.

Shlobba, shlobba, shlobba!
There are 40 different shades of black, so many fortresses and ways to attack.

So why you complaining!

Offline wissenlander

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • The original Graf of Brennenburg
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
I know that this is only for EuroBash folks, but I just wanted to pop in and say that I desperately need this sort of info on the scenarios.  I haven't had a chance to test these and feedback is monstrously important.

Thanks!
Me and Wissenlander had babies!

not together.

finding photographic evidense that Wiss smiles is going to be hard...

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 02:02:49 PM »
I did one about destroying a shrine.
I think it was well balanced as I got thrashed both times!
but when playing as the attackers with the warrior priests, you need to specify what they can do about buying equipment, and you need to be clearer with deployment rules as well.
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline McKnight

• Members
  • Its the No. of posts that make you a veteran-gamer
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 02:45:35 PM »
Yea i felt sorry for Friday when I realised that I could actually deploy a defense from the beginning and with strategic reserves being ready to engage with the enemy.
It was a fun game though... until the Initiative rolls got tirering :p
More points for the attackers or less for the defenders.
"Me? I'm practically perfect in every way!"- Rufas the eccentric.
Rufas had Two Ton Sally. I have Silicon Sally!
EuroBashes attended: 1

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 03:08:44 PM »
I played the defending the bridge scenario against Brionne

Problems encountered :

No clear deployment rules, and the fact that the one with most US on the bridge wins makes for a boring game if one of the players decides to go there, sit there, and wait there till the game is finished. I was defending, had some missile troops and some combat guys, and if Brionne had done what I described above (which he could after turn one), I would have stood no chance. As it was, he pressed the attack, thus risking his knights, whom I eventually killed, forcing a rout test... You guessed what happened...

Perhaps some stricter troop choice rules would do the trick...
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline LochNESS

• Members
  • Averland - That's where I am
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 04:31:05 PM »
Yeah, first of all a super great thanks to Peter and his wife. Peter for arranging so much and Ann for 'lending' us her 'husband' for a long weekend, in such a hectic time.

The facilities were nice, good price and so on, only a bit far. None the less I enjoyed it, although I could recon that with 4 people in it (like the English blokes were) it's a bit crowed. Especially if you were (like Midaski) on the bed where everyone else had to climb over it. Gamingplace was nice, enough tables, terrain some place to 'chill out' and read ancient White Dwarfs and of course get our refreshments.

Gaming was also nice but could be a bit more thight. It was hard to play everyone but that was to be expected. And to put a timelimit on it (maybe we should have some battles with timelimit and some where you can just sit and play 4 or 5 hours. My battles were very nice although the scenario I had was still a bit 'off balance.' The armylists were quite balanced I'd recon, I've played Talabheim/Freetraders, Marienburg and (what did you have Obi?)

My battlescenario was the "Capture the Cove" and having all defenders being stubborn and in addition having to detract a 1/3rd of the attackers score makes the defenders have a very strong position. Although our local Monkey had quite some luck with his breaktests I'd say that having one unit that should be stubborn and the unit that defends the house should be stubborn but all of them is a bit too much. I added some extra smaller notes on the paper that I gave back to Midaski where things should be a little more clearified. The pregame fase with the sentinels was rather cool though :) and added quite a bit to the game.
Design stays, however, according to my opinion, at least partially something miraculous. -J. Bakema (Architect)

Count of Averland - Check out my boardgame, wargame and hobby blog here!

Offline Brionne

• Members
  • Your Resident Knight.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 06:40:41 PM »
I've already sent my comments on the scenario by PM, so I won't do that again... I agree with what Soth said, generally.

The facilities were really nice - especially the gaming club was huge, had (nearly) enough beverages in stock and the couches made for a good place to sit down after a 6 - hour megabattle. Thank you Peter (soth) for arranging everything, we couldn't have done it without you!

I was part of the megabattle, and boy was it fun (even if I only had 500 pts worth of troops). Seeing so many models on the table was great - especially since nearly every one of them was painted! Good job, everybody!

@Lochness: Obi played Sigmarite Empire, so you played everybody!
Rufas the Eccentric: "Dendo is in Delaware because of their relaxed laws concerning speedos in public places."
Notts: "i'd rather get raped by an angry bear than try, or face this list."

Offline Powder Monkey

• Members
  • OhohOH Aah AAAHH!!
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2008, 09:44:37 PM »
Time to chime in:

1) Localities: Gaming club was great! I think us 15-17 were about the most people comfortably fitting in there, though, so should we go to 20+ next year, there will be space issues. But the way things were going, the venue was perfect. I mean, there was a BAR in there, manned around the clock! Tables and terrain were great, it was very bright in there, parking was not a problem, there was a couch corner to collapse on and read old WDs... If Soth is willing to put the same gigantic amount of dedication into a sequel of the EuroBash for next year, I will be very happy! The cabins were great, too, but we really should get something closer next time.

2) Gaming: There was no pressure. At all. Ever. I arrived and confessed to Soth that I had not prepared army lists. He just smiled and said 'No problem!', and it turned out that he had neither, at least when we played!  :icon_smile: I really expected it to be a tournament, and the amount of relief that came from discovering how informal everything was surprised me. It was all very Gentlemanly, people sat down and had a game. The game then was over when it was over, and that was that. Even when the game lasted for five hours - I'm not looking at you, Rufus and Midaski!

In retrospect this was great for we had enough to do with getting to know each other. Maybe next time the veterans will be ready to move on to something with more form. I want to propose a fluid Bash campaign with multiple sides fighting on a (mighty empires?) map. The generals could be divided into factions, consult with each other and then dedicate their battles to moving individual frontlines on the campaign map. The number of battles could be up to each general, so still no pressure, but maybe a little more coherency to the bash. Just a thought.

All in all: The bash was fantastic, and if it wasn't something worth a sequel, I don't know what is.

Your Powder Monkey will be around next year!
I'm pro-monkey. Anyone who isn't is evil.