home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 295266 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (honest criticism always welcome)
« Reply #525 on: February 19, 2016, 01:13:29 PM »
Interesting goblins - those RAFM ones are quite Fimir-ish, with their long snouts.

For photos of the bare Bones models, I suggest a quick slap of a dark wash would help. The monster thingy you've pictured is cool, what's it supposed to be?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #526 on: February 20, 2016, 05:34:39 AM »
Reaper calls it a "Frog Demon."

I thought the Frog Demon (or Bog Demon, as I think I prefer) would be a good test subject for an all translucent painting experiment. Right from my initial wash it didn't go as planned. Then the first glaze on the body was just as bad... until I decided it was good. So I went with it. I did some more, and more... It's more like a sloppy wash, and looks more like I've painted a three dimensional watercolor. As I was painting, I just let that sort of drive my technique -- very fast, free and fluid brushwork with thin & translucent color. And that's completely OK with me. In fact, I'm really fond of the way it looks, especially on this figure. So I think I might try this "watercolor on miniatures" thing again.

Offline hagen88

• Members
« Reply #527 on: February 20, 2016, 08:44:35 AM »
I do like the result on it!

It really feels like you went crazy on it and yet acheived the translucent effect you aimed for! I don't know why but I also really like the colour splashes on the white base, it makes it look like some kind of art attack experiment! :eusa_clap:

Offline DariusZero

• Members
  • I'm a non native speaker from Mars and I bite.
« Reply #528 on: February 20, 2016, 10:15:21 AM »
Nice model and nice paintjob. I would add some highlights here and there. It's a big model.
One of the big wigs... once told them "If a household doesn't have an income of $70,000, we don't consider them a GW target customer."
MyEmpireBlog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=33477.0

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #529 on: February 20, 2016, 10:38:55 AM »
That has worked really well - he oozes menace, as well as oozing... ooze, I guess  :eusa_clap:

Funny how often I put a coat or two of paint on a mini, and hate it... and then suddenly it all comes together.

Offline steveb

• Members
« Reply #530 on: February 20, 2016, 04:32:28 PM »
looks good, how many coats? you can also sandwich a layer of drybrush (lightly done) between layers of glaze for an interesting effect.  steveb

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #531 on: February 22, 2016, 03:25:27 AM »
Thanks! Yes, I think some highlights would probably help, and maybe a light wash over them to blend them back in very subtly, along the lines of what steveb said. I was thinking I liked the color on the white as well -- it got me in the mood to paint some watercolors again. I haven't done that for a few years now. :unsure: Unfortunately, that would also take away from miniatures painting time.

My wife and I watched Labyrinth yesterday. It's the first time I've seen it in a long, very long, time. It was far worse that I remembered it.  :ph34r:

But a lot of the goblins were cool and it slightly fueled my recent side-quest into painting a few goblins. I still have a few old Crucible goblins I'd like to paint at some point, but I'm resisting making any plans further than that. But at some point in the somewhat distant future, I may look into picking up some more odd gobbos.

Speaking of picking up things I shouldn't, Warploque Miniatures was having a "last chance" sale on a few old OOP sculpts that had been re-molded. There was one in particular that I had always wanted. I had only a few hours to decide. I took the plunge and this will finally be mine (well, an unpainted facsimile at any rate...)

I had a list of big, "must have," giants that I've waned. Not too rare, but most are usually too expensive for me. I already have the old Marauder giant, The Ultraforge giant, and now this one. Still on my "wanted" list are The Otherworld Giant, and the one from Black Scorpion.

Unfortunately, even on sale, I still couldn't really afford to buy him. So I'm currently going through some more of my stuff and seeing what I may be able to part with to cover the cost.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #532 on: February 22, 2016, 02:07:19 PM »
Oooh, he's a nice one!

Goblins - have you seen the Pathfinder ones from Reaper Bones? They are a bit different, too.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #533 on: February 22, 2016, 02:56:25 PM »
Yes, I saw those Pathfinder goblins recently and thought they had a lot of possibility.

Speaking of Warpoque, have you seen this, Shadespyre? http://www.warploqueminiatures.com/#!product/prd14/3893228041/unithorn

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #534 on: February 22, 2016, 04:53:23 PM »
Hehe, bought one many months ago, still haven't decided what to do with it! (except add roses, of course).

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #535 on: February 24, 2016, 11:35:57 PM »

Working on some figures for other people...

(Still a couple of touch-ups on these.)

and...

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #536 on: February 25, 2016, 12:48:51 AM »
I like the Bog Demon! :icon_biggrin: :icon_cool: :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Doc J

• Members
  • The Prince of Brooklyn Park
« Reply #537 on: February 25, 2016, 12:59:09 AM »
they look good I really like the Beastmen. What brand are the humans and how do they stack up size wise against GW?
In the words of the late great Nicki Minaj - Ya done son

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #538 on: February 26, 2016, 12:37:48 AM »
I believe they are from Red Box Games. http://red-box-games.com/ I will get a pic at some point, but I think they would look odd next to GW figures. They may be close in height, but have much thinner proportions.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #539 on: February 27, 2016, 11:21:40 PM »
Here's a quick comparison pic...

Offline Naitsabes

• Members
  • Never slid
« Reply #540 on: February 28, 2016, 05:09:01 AM »
The Red Box guys sure missed a few days in the gym...especially the leg workouts. That demon looks really creepy, I really like what you did to the skin.  Is he going to get an uber-busy swamp base? please say no.

...also, you should really work on that banner one of these days  :engel:
The Empire Road to Volganof Last update 18Mar2023 - Pistoliers & Baggage train)

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #541 on: February 28, 2016, 11:09:52 PM »
That picture confirms my worst fears they have skinny jeans.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #543 on: March 01, 2016, 05:34:49 AM »
They have some good stuff, but I'm not really fond of those in general.

I finally got a bit of time to do some more casting, and cranked out some more Fomorian heads. I was aided by a small but important equipment upgrade...

16 gauge industrial needles. I also found some cheap syringes, but I think next time I will get at least 5cc, if not larger. Made a big difference. Previously I had been using sharp 21 gauge medical needles with 3cc syringes that I had left over from architecture school (used to use them for dispensing PVA glue on delicate parts of models. These 16 gauge needles have the advantage of being dull tipped, so I won't accidentally poke into the mold. The resin flows so much better, and far easier to clean (and thus, get more use out of each needle.)

My attic is a mess, but I managed to stake out some space for a dedicated (for the moment) casting table. I was previously doing it on my (as yet, unused for games) gaming table, which was flirting with disaster.

Casting to the left, and beyond that is my sculpting & painting desk. Gaming table in the right corner. I've started setting up for that Pleasant Surprises skirmish. But now I'm stuck on the idea that I need to put together some more terrain. :roll: The big mess under the gaming table is mostly casting and terrain supplies.

Back to the casting of heads... I think I'm going to sell off a few sets of 10 heads for relatively cheap, and use the proceeds for some new silicone for molds. I used Smooth-On Ooomoo 30 for the heads, but would like to try Mold Star 15 next. Sales will come with the caveat that these are first time, amateur casts and have their fair share of bubbles -- and thus require work to get them into finished condition.

That picture confirms my worst fears they have skinny jeans.

Or bulgetastic tights...

« Last Edit: March 01, 2016, 05:41:25 AM by ZeroTwentythree »

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #544 on: March 01, 2016, 11:41:25 AM »
Tights would be worse  :laugh:

Thats a nice room you got there, I wish I had the space to dedicate some room to the hobby, cool little village on the table? Can we see a bigger pic of it?

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (open for critique)
« Reply #545 on: March 02, 2016, 07:22:37 PM »
Since this plog has become busier than I expected a year ago, and I'm covering a wide range of subject matter, and I've been contemplating splitting it up. The subject sort of came up in the forum reorganization thread, as well.

Should I split this plog into several different ones, based on subject?

So I would keep separate threads for:

- Empire Marienburg
- Undead
- Fimir Fomorians  :wink:
- Terrain
- Whatevs

If so, I suppose I would just cast Raise Dead on my old Marienbug and Terrain plogs, and then start new ones for the others.

Offline Doc J

• Members
« Reply #546 on: March 02, 2016, 07:33:30 PM »
That sounds like a good Idea to me.

Offline Midaski

• Sunny Sussex, England
  • Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #547 on: March 02, 2016, 10:11:23 PM »
NO!

This thread has been one of the few shining lights in the last year, and the diversity and innovation is its brilliance.

I have always thought a plog was more about the author and his/her meanderings through the hobby than subject driven.

Do you run a separate diary for let's say Family/Sport/drinking/eating.    :engel:
Quote from: Gneisenau
Metal to Finecast - It is mostly a swap of medium. 

You mean they will be using Ouija boards instead of Tarot cards for their business plans from now on?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #548 on: March 03, 2016, 03:34:48 AM »
I lean towards no myself. I have a great time seeing all the different things in one thread.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #549 on: March 03, 2016, 06:49:37 AM »
For now, if even just from inertia, I'm going to leave it as-is.

Around the internets, there have recently been painting themes for various months... Orctober, Deadcember, etc. When I saw the idea for the "Month of Marsh," for painting bog dwellers... I had to jump in it. I've been prepping with various aspects of the project, so I've decided to hit the Month of Marsh theme pretty heavy. So here's my start!

Bog Demon done.

Started working on my second Fomorian. (Fimir. Whatever you'd like to call it.) Reaper Bones orc with spear (unless otherwise noted, they're all Tre Manor sculpts.) I cut the spear, feet, and head off. Replaced the spear with a less, er, flaccid one (a bit of heavy florist wire and a plastic spear head from some old Citadel kit.) The head is one of my recent castings, and the tail -- which isn't really visible -- is one that I sculpted but don't have an inclination to cast. I still need to sculpt the feet, and do a bit of sculpting to blend the head with the body a bit.

And lastly, I dug out some old boggy themed figures (already painted) to find a home with the Fomorian raiders. I have two more of the smaller mud elementals (old Crucible figures from Ral Partha) that I've already base coated. I can't recall where the "Swamp Thing" looking guy in the middle came from. At some point these may get rebased.