home

Author Topic: Is painting an army with different colored units against background?  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Cicero

• Members
It kinda seems a waste to paint an army with so many different provinces each with its own colors, with all the units painted the same. I see how painting different uniforms inside the same unit could be strange, however I rarely see pictures from people's armies with different colored units. Is that something against background?

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Is painting an army with different colored units against background?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2021, 10:54:41 AM »
Although many folks pick a province to paint and hold the color scheme across an army, some folks do create a mix of units from different provinces with their color schemes being used for an entire unit.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2021, 01:46:34 PM »
Of course you can do it!

One way to approach this is how big you imagine your game is.

If one model = one combatant, it makes sense that the army of c. 100 guys comes from a single town/gau/province, and has the same livery.

If one model = 100 combatants, it's reasonable to say that one unit is the muster of one province, and the whole army is a muster from several provinces.

In the end, it's the backstory that binds the army together. I can easily see how an Altdorf general with one or two Reikland units might lead an army gathered from several provinces. The general is dispatched by Karl Franz from Altdorf, and he has mustered as he marched, with an imperial fiat.

Many units in your army can actually be mercenaries from different provinces. It's kind of the Dogs of War, but with Empire units and thus no need for Rare choices.

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Syphon

• Members
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2021, 12:43:00 PM »
Why would it be? You don't even have to justify it, but if you do feel like you have to, there's a myriad of options.

• A coalition army
  • Mercenary bands within an army
  • Different regiments within an army

That's just a minute of thought. Do with it what you will.
Now go! Ride towards the sun atop these noble steeds
You're our spandex heroes, now fullfil your destinies
And so we turned and rode beyond the castle walls
with shiny codpiece armour that doth cradle our chivalrous balls