home

Author Topic: Spites Painting Blog - The Dwarfs Return  (Read 18360 times)

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
Re: Spites Painting Blog - The Dwarfs Return
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2017, 02:17:41 PM »
Keep at it, it's looking wonderful so far! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #51 on: August 26, 2017, 06:29:31 PM »
Quick Update:

Finished Belegar Ironhammer, overall happy with how he turned out, few details I could clean up but looks good I think.

Onwards to the next batch of models, there's still lots to do, currently this is my list:

Doomseekers x6
Crossbowmen x10
Warriors x20 w/ Hand Weapon and Shields
Malakai Makaiissons Goblin Hewer
Thunderers x22 inc. Command
Miners x10
Anvil of Doom
Runesmith x2
Battle Standard Bearer
Lord/Thane w/ Great Axe
Engineer
Mordheim Treasure Hunter
King Alrik Ranulfsson on Shieldbearers
Long Drongs Slayers x8 inc. Command

Enjoy.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #52 on: August 26, 2017, 11:19:09 PM »
I really like his shield. Your right that his beard is a very nice contrast. Most of the Belegar models I see have black, or dark beards.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2017, 12:35:53 PM »
Great looking Belegar! I love the red, fiery beard. :biggriin:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #54 on: September 20, 2017, 03:07:04 PM »
Update:

After taking a few days off of work, I've finally got round to do some painting. I cracked on with a Runesmith that I've been wanting to paint for a while. I really like the miniature itself, definitely one of the best Runesmith models in my book.

I find some models are a lot tougher to paint than they appear sometimes, as I struggle to pick out what areas should be what colour, often I need to look online to see how others have painted it to help me as was the case with this Runesmith. Anyhow onto the Model, he took me a couple of days to get done but happy in the end, I tend to spend longer just just cleaning up areas and adding touches than doing the main colours and higlights.

Dwarf Runesmith/Runelord (8th Edition, Metal):

As for the next batch, I'm doing another 10 Warriors with Crossbows to bump the unit to 15 total, I've still got 20 more Warriors with Hand Weapons and Shields to do, so I'm doing them in smaller batches so I don't get bored and distracted at the mass amount I need to do. Doing Characters in between helps with this (Hence the Runemsmith). I've also undercoated 10 Thunderers so looking forward to get them done, on my list of Characters that are undercoated currently are the Limited Edition BSB, Lord resting on Axe, Engineer with 2 Pistols, another Runesmith and the Mordheim Treasure Hunter.

Obivously this is a fair chunk but it doesn't look that much, the characters I don't think will take that long to paint likely a weekend per model, I'll likely spend more time on the BSB. Any comments more than welcome.

Thanks.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #55 on: September 21, 2017, 01:07:48 PM »
I really like the dark, gritty colors. Your dwarfs are superb. :smile2:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #56 on: September 26, 2017, 07:01:25 PM »
@Xathradox, thanks it's nice to see people like what I'm doing. It's a slog with the amount of miniatures I have to do but I'll keep plugging away.

Update:

I started some of the 6th Edition Metal Thunderers, have to say they are quite fun to paint and reasonably simple enough, I get to tailor them a bit differently per miniature yet still only take around an evening per miniature. The variances of the cloth/gloves/beards gives them a bit of a individual feel but tie in together still with the blue, which is not overbearing on the model. One thing I've really enjoyed is that the models are metal and they have a weight to them that plastics don't, definitely something I miss over the latest Dwarfs (that and they all don't look like Space Marines).

Here's 2 I finished recently, I can only apologise for the atrocious photos, I should take my minis to work and do it with some proper lighting.

Thunderers (6th Edition, Metal):

As usual any comments/criticisms are welcome, onto getting the rest of the unit done, I've got 8 more which are cleaned but another 12 to do including Command to bump the unit to a solid 22.

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2017, 05:56:05 PM »
Update: (Warning Big Post)

I've returned with another update, I know it's been another month, I've been away for some of it for work (Copenhagen is fantastic!) but I took a few days off around it and finished up some models. I haven't made any pickups that recently but I will have some for the next update.

Anyhow on with the models I've painted, last update I posted about the 6th Edition Metal Thunderers I was painting, I finished 10 of them, they are quite the joy to paint. Not too much detail not too simple either and look fantastic as a unit. I've mixed the colours of the Beards, Gloves and Accessories but with the Blue still being the main colour to mesh with the rest of the army. I've started cleaning up the rest of the models for the unit and the Command, eager to get them complete.

One of the handy things about working in Mobile Games, is that I have access to a ton of better phones and tablets with much better cameras than my potato camera on my phone, so these are a bit better than usual. Note: Big ton of photos incoming.

Dwarf Thunderers (10):

Often I find batch painting to be incredibly tiresome, I much prefer doing a model at a time as I'll miss bits of a model so knowing this I will paint a character in-between to keep it fresh. In this case I painted 2!

Dwarf Engineer:

With this model, I've always really liked it, then I came around to painting it...I absolutely hated painting it, it's a very boring model to paint and I just didn't enjoy it at all and I think it definitely shows in the blandness of how it turned out, I've considered stripping it as well as redoing it but for now I'll hold off while I get some units finished.

Mordheim Dwarf Treasure Hunter:

So as ever sat on my painting desk is more Warriors which I'm loathing to do, the thought of doing 15-20 more Crossbows doesn't thrill me, however I am eager to get this Thunderer unit finished, I think a unit filler could work well with them but I've already started on the Lord resting his chin on his Axe and the 8th Edition BSB. I'd really like to move onto the Goblin Hewer and/or Flame Cannon as they will look to be a great addition but there's still a big chunk of units that need doing first. I've just picked up a 6th Edition Gyrocopter and another Lord model that I was missing so chipping away at the models I need, I'm still on the hunt for a 8th Grudge Thrower though, I'm quite picky when it comes to buying models, as preferably I'll always want it in box and unassembled, I do find a sense of joy with the older boxes.

Here's the list of what's still to be painted:

Units:

Doomseekers x4
Crossbowmen x10
Thunderers x12 inc. Command
Miners x10
Long Drongs Slayers 10 inc. Command

War Machines:

Anvil of Doom

Characters:

Runesmith
Battle Standard Bearer (8th Edition)
Lord resting on Great Axe

Thanks for reading! Until next time.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #58 on: November 14, 2017, 06:50:16 PM »
I'm liking those 6th Edition metals! :eusa_clap: :::cheers:::

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #59 on: November 15, 2017, 09:40:05 AM »
Truly 6th edition was the best edition. That gunslinging dwarf is all sorts of awesome. :biggriin:

Gneisenau

Online Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #60 on: November 15, 2017, 10:31:30 PM »
Metal dwarf thunderers look great!

I never really liked the treasure hunter, but I think your paint job may have revealed him to me in a new light. Very nice.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #61 on: November 20, 2017, 12:18:09 AM »
Awesome models as always!

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #62 on: November 20, 2017, 11:05:41 AM »
Thanks for the comments.

@Warlord, That surprises me! I hated painting it!

The 6th Edition metals are truly fantastic, I feel I under appreciated them at the time.

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #63 on: November 28, 2017, 09:21:24 PM »
Update:

I've been after this model for a while and one came up in box that I couldn't refuse to pick up, I might paint it in a similar pattern to the GW one on the box, definitely has a ton of character and quite different to the 8th Edition one I already have painted, a very nostalgic pick up.

Onto something I'm painting, this is still a bit WIP but the main parts are done, some highlights left. The Dwarf Lord resting on Axe, it's a very nice model and really shows what Dwarfs are about. 

Onto what's left to paint, I've just assembled, cleaned and sprayed The White Dwarf, 10 Long Drongs Slayers inc Command and the Thunderers Command. While I've just started the base colours of another BSB and Runesmith, I will also start the Warriors I've been meaning to do for some time as you can see most of the army is characters and single models!

Here's the list of what's still to be painted:

Units:

Doomseekers x4
Crossbowmen x10
Miners x10
Long Drongs Slayers 10 inc. Command

War Machines:

Anvil of Doom

Characters:

Runesmith

Enjoy!

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #64 on: November 28, 2017, 10:18:58 PM »
Awesome find. I've always preffered the old Gyro model to the new one. Great find! :smile2:

Gneisenau

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #65 on: November 30, 2017, 07:12:59 AM »
A great find of that classic gyrocopter. Much better then the "new" one.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2018, 10:10:52 PM »
Update:

Over Xmas I took some time off work, so did some painting in that period however I was mainly doing 40K Imperial Guard as they've drawn me in again, however I couldn't pass the Dwarfs up for too long. Long Drongs Slayers are some of the most fantastic models going, full of character and very much a nostalgic part of fantasy when Dogs of War were playable, I have 10 inc the Command which I'm currently doing, however I want to spend a bit more time on these than a standard rank and file and paint them individually rather than in a batch and do them a bit of justice.

Here's one I've finished with the rest of the unit following along nicely, if you've read my Painting Blog before you'll know that I'm neither the best painter nor do I enjoy painting a ton, however these models are quite the joy to paint, another reason to do the models justice and spend that extra time making the unit look great.

One thing I think most people will notice is that the orange beard isn't super bright and orange, if you look across most of my painting I'm not one for super bright colours and my preference is for dark and grittyness in my painting, I prefer to build up to the orange from a brown, I'm very happy with how it turned out. I also spent more time building up the layers on the skin, something which I've often not done well and much happier with how it came out.

Long Drongs Slayer Pirates:

Now onto the fun stuff, recent pickups! A couple that I've been waiting to show as all my parcels go to my work and with Xmas and Holiday time I hadn't been in for almost a month. I've been wanting another of the new Gyro or 2 to make into an Air Cav force with 2 of the smaller Gyros and one of the larger Bombers and got this one for a cheaper price.

I've also been after an Organ Gun for a while and seemingly unable to get one not caked in paint or glued together, I also picked up Bugman for when I'll likely pick up some Rangers and finally one of the 8th Edition Thane/Lord models that I was missing, I think I have 3 or 4 left to go before having them all.

There's still lots to paint and get on with, one day I'll finish all those Warriors!

My list currently to paint:

Doomseekers x4
Crossbowmen x10
Miners x10

War Machines:

Anvil of Doom
Organ Gun

Characters:

Runesmith

To Buy:

Rangers x20 (6th Edition)
Longbeards x20 (6th Edition)
Thorgrim Grudgebearer on Throne (8th Edition)
Cannon x2 (6th Edition)
Grudge Thrower (8th Edition)

Thanks!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #67 on: January 11, 2018, 03:11:20 AM »
How much was the bomber?

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #68 on: January 12, 2018, 02:51:17 PM »
Long Drong Pirates are probably my favorite dwarfs of them all. Such beautiful sculpts. :blush:

Gneisenau

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2018, 09:26:04 AM »
It's been a month since my last update, so I thought it best that I give a few more pics. Painting has been slow going as 40K has taken a forefront this month, Cadians are on my painting desk as well as the Dwarfs (come to think of it Space Marines and Heresy Marines too) so the Dwarfs have been shifted to the side a little. I'm still working on the Long Drongs as a unit however and I've done a few more, so I'll show them, I'm still hoping to finish the unit by the end of the month.

Long Drongs Slayer Pirates:

The list to paint is still long and arduous and I'm still buying miniatures, I'll likely have some pickups to show next time I post.

My list currently to paint:

Doomseekers x4
Crossbowmen x10
Miners x10

War Machines:

Anvil of Doom
Organ Gun

Characters:

Runesmith

To Buy:

Rangers x20 (6th Edition)
Cannon x2 (6th Edition)
Grudge Thrower (8th Edition)

Thanks!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2018, 12:25:48 PM »
Those naval dwarfs look very good! :::cheers:::

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2018, 01:12:58 PM »
Yeah, they're awesome. I love their paint job. :blush:

Gneisenau

Offline spite

• Members
« Reply #72 on: March 13, 2018, 08:44:42 PM »
Update:

I was going to save a load of minis for a ton of updates at once but I may as well post this since it's done, I'm in the process of painting all the Warriors, the last 4 Long Drongs and a couple of Characters, I'm also doing some Imperial Guard, High Elves and Warriors of Chaos inbetween so that's why my updates haven't been as consistent.

It's more enjoyable for myself however to keep mixing up what I'm painting as its easy to get bogged down with doing blocks of similar stuff and the painting palette isn't exactly thrilling.

As for what I've finished, today I've got the 8th Edition Army Battle Standard Bearer, this is the finecast version.....which needless to say was a massive mistake as the model is a mess to paint, however I did my best with it, I had to do some chopping to get it looking normal. I'm somewhat happy with it however I think there's areas to improve still (I'm still trying to get better with the Flesh Colour).

Anyhow onto the model

Army Battle Standard Bearer:

My painting list doesn't ever get smaller!

In Progress:

Crossbowmen x10

To Paint:

Doomseekers x4
Miners x10

War Machines:

Anvil of Doom
Organ Gun

Characters:

Runesmith
Lord on Oath Stone
Joseph Bugman

To Buy:

Rangers x10 inc Command (6th Edition)
Cannon x2 (6th Edition)

Thanks!

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #73 on: March 22, 2018, 10:38:35 AM »
I like this! Very efficient painting & highlights.

Have you proceed with your magnificent list of goodies?

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #74 on: March 22, 2018, 05:46:43 PM »
Love that standard bearer. Alas, I never got one, though have quite a vast army of dwarfs. Oh, well! )  :smile2: