home

Author Topic: Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2018 ...  (Read 72004 times)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
Re: Monthly Painting & Scenery Goals 2018 ...
« Reply #225 on: August 17, 2018, 06:35:11 PM »
(Un)holy crap, that's awesome! And yuge.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #226 on: August 18, 2018, 10:07:11 AM »
I love the story behind this model - it's actually twice the size that was intended! The wrong information was sent to the company making the steel injection moulds (in China IIRC) By the time anyone realized the mistake the moulds had been made, and that process is so expensive they just ran with it. You can see this on the model, which is decorated with ogre sized skulls and a huge treasure chest with coins the size of dinner plates, but I removed those and replaced them with more appropriate items.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #227 on: August 18, 2018, 11:38:22 AM »
That's the model I was sent for the pleasant surprise. It is big. Too big for tabletop use, anyway, as there wouldn't be much table left!
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #228 on: August 19, 2018, 11:41:14 AM »
Really? That was kind of someone!  :eusa_clap:

Too big for the table? Maybe, but GWs modern monster models get bigger and bigger perhaps not insanely so. The days when a WHFB Monster had to stand on a 50x50 base are long gone. The GW bases range now includes a 17 cm long oval and a 16 cm diameter circle (the latter possibly for WH40k more) so we're getting there.

I think suitable rules for a beast like this are harder to come across. In later editions, the stats of monsters just don't reflect the majesty of the models and the fact that EVERYTHING on the table can shoot at them. But I think someone who games like you do - in a narrative fashion - could have great fun with it. I think that's how I'll use it, too.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #229 on: August 21, 2018, 01:05:53 PM »
Updating for August ...

JAK ... complete at least 6 more City Watch characters.
023 ... HE lion chariot and Phoenix, three half-orc minis.
Gankom ... finish special project.
GP ... finish 6 mounted 28mm crossbowmen.
Padre ... 22 more Tilean militia pikemen & 12 militia crossbowmen, 10 skelly horse
Shadespyre ... Paint and photo dragon Kaladrax.

(Completed items are bolded.)

Only 10 days remaining for August!
« Last Edit: September 01, 2018, 04:11:27 PM by GamesPoet »
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #230 on: August 21, 2018, 08:17:19 PM »
So close ... I think I can do it.

The extra 22 pike and extra 12 xbow only need their flesh painting and basing. Oh yeah!

Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #231 on: August 21, 2018, 09:23:37 PM »
I finished my special project, so I'm going to be crazy and add to my august pledge! I have a bunch of half finished models, including two reaper giants and some new Soul Wars stuff. So I pledge to complete them by the end of the month!

Gankom ... finish special project. Finish 2 Reaper Giants, paint 2 Sequitors and 2 Glavewraith stalkers.
Padre ... 22 more Tilean militia pikemen & 12 militia crossbowmen, 10 skelly horse

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #232 on: August 22, 2018, 08:43:33 PM »
Bar a bit of flock on the bases, I'm done!

22 more militia pike to join the 16 completed last month. I have plenty of militia figures already done I can use as command. Also 12 more crossbow to join the existing 5, add 3 command to make a unit of 20 if the campaign calls for it.

Pike and crossbow. So Tilean!

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #233 on: August 22, 2018, 08:59:55 PM »
Amazing work Padre, there's nothing quite like massed pikes.

For myself, I'm having a tidy up and have pulled together around 20 miniatures which are Empire-ish and which need to be built or painted or finished. Some of these have been ideas or piles of bits for at least 5 years! This'll be my project for the next month or so or until I get bored of them and come up with something else to do...

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #234 on: August 22, 2018, 09:57:47 PM »
I suddenly thought I ought to check how they look next to my exisiting militia pikemen unit, and so found out that my old figures have baby pikes!

Now I'll have to find my mercenary pike and see what they look like in comparison!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #235 on: August 22, 2018, 10:32:34 PM »
The new group, looks like their pikes are as long a Macedonian unit's pikes. :icon_cool:

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #236 on: August 22, 2018, 10:42:13 PM »
I suppose some of it is positional because the new group have advanced their pikes whereas the older figures have them at order. Having your pike at order means it is resting on the ground. Advancing your pike allows you to manoeuvre. Shouldering your pike allows you to march. Charging your pike points it at the enemy.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #237 on: August 23, 2018, 01:17:07 PM »
wow  :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap: :eusa_clap:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #238 on: August 26, 2018, 03:52:46 PM »
I am a sucker for Purple painted minis. Great job!
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #239 on: August 26, 2018, 10:58:12 PM »
I have completed all my goals! Huzzah! There's more pictures on my plog but I wanted to post a few here as additional motivation.

Plog: http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=51332.50

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #240 on: August 28, 2018, 03:39:51 AM »
Cool undead things. I dig the giants too. I got the fire giant from the KS but haven't painted it yet.

Padre, what manufacturer are your pikemen? I love the look of your massed pike units.

I will probably not get anything painted this month. Been horribly sick for a week and a half, and life's just been a trainwreck in general.

Offline Irishzero

• Members
« Reply #241 on: August 30, 2018, 08:38:02 PM »
Very Nice guys!
Bar a bit of flock on the bases, I'm done!

22 more militia pike to join the 16 completed last month. I have plenty of militia figures already done I can use as command. Also 12 more crossbow to join the existing 5, add 3 command to make a unit of 20 if the campaign calls for it.

Pike and crossbow. So Tilean!

Love the  colours!! Nice job!

I'm going to try to squeeze in a canon + crew in August (yep one day left to finish ::heretic::)

Offline JAK

• Members
« Reply #242 on: August 31, 2018, 09:50:25 AM »
Mission accomplished as required Watch figures completed for this month.

I’ve 9 Space Marines to paint for a friend but I’ve also made a personal vow to finish building the City Watch before getting all my paints out again so this month the main aim is to finish building all the characters for the City Watch. There are 5 to sculpt and around 10 conversions to do.

Offline Irishzero

• Members
« Reply #243 on: August 31, 2018, 07:22:58 PM »
So I made it, I give you "Missfire"

[/URL][/img]

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #244 on: September 01, 2018, 09:30:09 AM »
@ Zero23: The old paint jobs, the shorter pike ones, are from Wargames Foundry's Casting Room Miniatures range (castingroomminiatures.com) while the new, longer pike ones, are mostly Artizan Swiss (http://www.artizandesigns.com/list.php?man=20&cat=147&page=1), with a few Perry Miniatures Unarmoured Swiss (https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?products_id=2504) thrown in.

Meanwhile, here is a little project I squeezed into August (finished a couple of days ago but IMGUR was slow so posting delayed).

I bought a fairy house money box for £4 from The Works ...

And like so many other wooden boxes and houses I have bought from there, it got converted with some plasticard tiles and some window and door bits into a Tilean House ...

I have to shake off the compulsion to build a new house for the background of every new street scene photo!

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #245 on: September 01, 2018, 04:14:57 PM »
Finishing Tally for August ...

Gankom ... finish special project, finish 2 Reaper Giants, paint 2 Sequitors and 2 Glavewraith stalkers.
Padre ... 22 more Tilean militia pikemen & 12 militia crossbowmen, 1 Tilean house, 10 skelly horse
IrishZero ... 1 cannon that missfired.

(Completed items are bolded.)

Offline Irishzero

• Members
« Reply #246 on: September 01, 2018, 08:11:42 PM »
September goals:
-14 handgunners
-Finish 1 ogre
-1 artillery piece with crew

Best
// Iz

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #247 on: September 01, 2018, 08:58:18 PM »
Hoo boy do I feel motivated this month. I can't believe I actually completed my goals last month! Plus I did some random touch ups or odd colors on some other stuff here and there. So let's see what I can do this month.

I have some stuff maybe not quite half done that I think I'll work on.

Gankom: 4 Stormcast Liberators, 2 Artillery Crew, 2 Marine scouts.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #248 on: September 01, 2018, 09:40:12 PM »
10 Skeleton Knights.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #249 on: September 02, 2018, 12:14:57 AM »
For Sept. I'm going to attempt the same goal again, plus one HE white lion trooper & one HE war lion.

I've already started, as I rage-painted one of the half-orcs I had started over a month ago.