home

Author Topic: 'All that Glistens' - A Story/Bat Rep Project  (Read 64279 times)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
Re: 'All that Glistens' - A Story/Bat Rep Project
« Reply #125 on: September 26, 2009, 09:10:23 AM »
Oops - I have the WD list here and I have NEVER noticed that option. Double oops! Brace of pistols for +1 pt. Wow!

They'll still have the Zombie Pirates' Blackpowder rule - hit always on 6 (no DMs, thus no multiple shot DM) and always cause hit on themselves on a 1. So yeah, a bit more effective against the enemy BUT only at closer range, at not greater Str, and double the self caused damage. So they hurt the enemy only when it's close and kill themselves off twice as fast.

Hmm, in balance I ain't so sure ...
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #126 on: September 28, 2009, 07:20:09 AM »
I'd like to see a large unit of them take a stand and shoot against a large target, however. A unit of 25 that hits on 6's and has two shots each. Hmm...
cisse

No matter how fast you run, your ass will always be in front of me...

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #127 on: September 28, 2009, 08:06:41 AM »
It would be very funny to see both units die at the same time.

The zombie handgunners were fun but utterly irellavent since each time they shot, half of them died.
We go to gain a little patch of ground that hath in it no profit but the name.
The Free Company of Solland

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #128 on: September 28, 2009, 11:57:51 PM »
I may have misinterpreted 6th edition rules, but the way I read them a brace of pistols gave +1 St 4 armor piercing attack in the first round of melee and counted as an extra hand weapon in subsequent rounds.

I rarely shot with the mob, (although it was entertaining to do so) instead I would charge tough opponents.
:)

But enough of that what happens next and when does it happen?
“Why is the rum always gone?” -Captain Jack Sparrow
"It is, it is a glorious thing To be a Pirate King."
 -Gilbert, Sir W(illiam) S(chwenck)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #129 on: September 29, 2009, 12:26:53 AM »
I'd like to see a large unit of them take a stand and shoot against a large target, however. A unit of 25 that hits on 6's and has two shots each. Hmm...

Ah, 'twould be delightful, and we can dream but ... undead can't stand and shoot as a charge reaction.

I don't know if you guys are really getting just how 'duff' this army is.

@ Von Kurst: Hopefully something pretty soon, 'cos after the next few weeks everything goes work-tastically crazy for me!! Which is not a bad thing, considering I'm self-employed and need some cash asap. Or then again, maybe I'll game as a break during the busy period, a well earned past-time that'll not engender guilt about the fact that I'm not writing my book (my attempt at a second 'job').
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #130 on: September 29, 2009, 01:27:21 AM »
Padre, if you don't mind me saying, If this forum is anything to go by, that book will be freaking awesome.
I for one welcome our new flying cat overlords.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #131 on: September 29, 2009, 04:59:15 AM »
Very kind of you, Inarticulate, to say so, and your comment gives me a massive confidence boost.

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #132 on: September 28, 2009, 09:30:16 PM »
I know what its based on (sort of) and I think its gonna be superb personally.

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline Fandir Nightshade

• Members
« Reply #133 on: September 29, 2009, 07:41:06 AM »
I agree that I personally would love a padre book as his stories in the imperial office are fantastic already and I think they are only a small byblow of his real skill.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #134 on: September 29, 2009, 05:36:41 PM »
Much Needed Reinforcements

Grand Admiral Galdabash was not happy. Of course, he could never be said to be happy, but he was even further from that state of mind than normal - which was a considerable distance. His favourite cannon, the mighty Queen Bess, had been destroyed, allowing the Pirates of Tabriz to begin their journey up the river towards the realm in which the fabled City of Gold lay. The city he wanted to take for himself. And now his army had been badly mauled by jungle tribes. He knew that what had been sent against him may well be little more than a vanguard, and that it was highly likely the jungle had much more mighty enemies yet to throw at him. He knew also  that the Tabrizians’ greed would keep them searching and fighting almost to the last, for such was their hunger for gold that it overrode all other concerns. And so he was surrounded by enemies, with a force not fit to fight them.
    His strength was sapped, and if he was to reinforce the rotting ranks of his army to make it fit to fight then he would have to fight the Tabrizians! A dilemma indeed. To make his army strong he needed to fight; but to fight, he needed a strong army.
     Yet the answer did come to him: he felt the presence, deep in the swamp waters surrounding him, of the corpses of ancient creatures preserved through the millennia by the foul waters and mud in which they lay. He would call up some of these, the biggest he could find, and reinforce his dwindling army with monsters.
    Thus it was that he and several of his captains and seamen spent four days wading through the most noisome swamps searching. Finally, he signalled his undead warriors to halt, closed his eyes and let out a hissing call like a death rattle but growing ever louder, imbued with his mighty will. Two giant creatures, so ancient that they had lived in the time before the Old Ones came to the world and now entirely extinct, heard this call. Crustacean in form, they had once dwelt upon the shores of the great ocean (which did indeed, long ago, wash up to this very point).
     Bubbles began to bulge up from the depths, bursting to release a foul stench, and heralding the slow rise of the long dead monsters. When they came, their armoured backs broke the surface first, then a mass of thrashing limbs appeared, bearing barbed claws and writhing tentacles.
     Galdabash looked upon them and decided that they 'would do'.

Water poured from them, for inside their exoskeleton were cavities where once their organs had been. Those spongy organs had completely rotted away, and as the water now leaked out they became much lighter than they had been in life - now able to scuttle across the swamp surface. Long tusk-like claws protruded from their front-most limbs, and viciously sharp pincers flexed and snapped together beneath the bumpy bulk of their pre-historic heads. Tentacles hung on their flanks, some twitching, others flailing, and huge, many jointed tails bore curved horns and topped with armoured plates, similar to those on the top and sides of their whole bodies.

No eyes were visible, for they had never even in life sported such appendages, instead were lumps, sinews and hairs, the flaccid remains of what had once been their sense organs.

Now Galdabash turned and began the journey back to where most of his army lay unmoving and awaiting his command. The two creatures slithered along the surface of the swamp behind him.

Game Note: These are my new ‘Rotting Leviathans’ - two rare slots, at 200 points each. I WILL, by hook or by crook, turn this army into a functioning and tactical force. I don’t know if this is the answer, but it was a good excuse to finally paint two undercoated oddities I made way back in 1984 for a WFRP adventure.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:16:02 PM by Padre »

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #135 on: September 29, 2009, 07:04:38 PM »
Aren't those just the loveliest looking creatures one ever saw? :icon_wink: :icon_lol:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #136 on: September 29, 2009, 10:03:10 PM »
Wow those beasts are pretty ugly.

(And they're also over half a decade older than me!)

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #137 on: October 01, 2009, 06:46:01 AM »
(And they're also over half a decade older than me!)
Ah, 1984, such a good year...  :engel:

Coincidentally, I was born on the 2nd of january of the same year.  :wink:
cisse

Offline Uryens de Crux

• Members
« Reply #138 on: October 01, 2009, 10:15:48 AM »
That was about when I discovered roleplaying and wargaming heh.

The Barony of Wusterburg

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #139 on: October 01, 2009, 06:11:14 PM »
It's when I discovered girls were somewhat useful....
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #140 on: October 01, 2009, 06:55:23 PM »
And I had my first wedding anniversary...  Padre write something already!  :)

Offline cisse

• Members
  • let the wookie win!
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2009, 10:51:37 AM »
Yes, people keep getting older in this thread! Padre post something quick!  :-D
cisse

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2009, 11:33:17 AM »
I discovered chess in ... if I recall correctly, 68 or 69.

Board wargames ... probably 69, 70, or 71.

Military miniatures ... soon after board wargames.

RPGs ... maybe 78, or perhaps 79.

Girls ... same year as chess.

Wedding ... none yet. :icon_lol:

Born ... not saying. :icon_wink:

Padre ... look what we are doing for entertainment while we wait for your next WFB story.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2009, 07:19:42 PM »
I have bowed to your wishes and made haste with this next installment. I now need to arrange another battle. I'll not say who is involved, instead I'll let this little story do the talking ...

Southlands, Western Hills of the Worlds Edge Mountains

The tribesmen had easily accepted Gamouzo’s nephew, the warrior Agbeyama, as their new chief. He was the natural heir being of noble blood himself, and he was every much as ferocious as his uncle had been (even if still a little young). The last few days had allowed him to establish himself properly as someone whose orders were to be obeyed, and without question. Even Edem, the one warrior amongst them who Gamouzo had been willing to take advice from, appeared to have fallen into line.
     The process had been helped by the fact that the Tassingbe warriors had been operating as scouts, independently of Prince Sadrin’s army, going several miles ahead each day and then returning to report each evening. Even at night they camped separately from the army, one of a handful of small units that formed a protective ring of watchful guard-camps around the main camp. So, apart from an hour or so in the main camp each evening, when Arabyan commanders were all about them, Agbeyama was left to command the Tassingbe alone, with no-one else telling him what to do.
     Right now they were (by Agbeyama’s reckoning)about as far ahead of the army as they had yet been, having made good progress all morning. They had also moved much higher up the hills than previously too, following a track that split off from the ancient road. It was a path far more than a goat trail for it was surfaced here and there with stones, and had large flat sheets of stone lying over the umpteen rocky streams trickling down the hills. Agbeyama wanted to ascertain whether it could provide an alternative route south for the army, perhaps one more hidden from prying (goblin) eyes? He also wanted to learn if any enemies lurked in this hills.

Nine warriors remained with him, for he had sent two of his best further ahead to scout much more quietly and secretly than all twelve could ever do. Some of the nine carried their traditional dull bronze shields, deliberately allowed to tarnish so that they would not glint in the sun or moonlight, and all were armed with the Tassingbe’s unique club-like weapon, the ‘otnebrie’, an unusual weapon that could be used in one of several ways according to how it was held and how it was unfolded.

They moved sometimes fast and sometimes slow, according to the ground they were traversing: running nimbly if there was little cover, and always towards better cover; but when among trees they moved much more carefully, ensuring that they did not carelessly reveal themselves. They were meant to be the spies, and their business was to discover enemies, not to reveal the presence of the Prince of Amon’s army to them.
     As they crested one little hill, however, they learned that one of their forward scouts had not been so careful.

Bollgrid had seen such men as these at the edges of the great forest, but there was something odd about this one. For a start he was one his own, and had apparently been spying on them. Why would a tribal man be creeping about in the Dwarfen hills? Secondly there were the silver coins of Arabyan origin they had found upon him in a velvet purse. Since when did tribesmen carry small change in purses? Finally there was his dress. It was unlike any he had ever seen on tribesmen in this part of the world. He was from a long way from home.
    The man would not talk, even when Bollgrid aimed his pistol squarely at him.

“Has he got a tongue?” asked little Habrodar, doing his usual hopping about from foot to foot. “They cut themselves those sort of men: scar themselves with patterns, pierce their ears, and wear bones through their flesh. That’s what I heard. Maybe he’s cut his tongue?”
     “He can speak,” said Old Mathy. “I heard him curse in the desert tongue when he saw my hammer over him.”
     Bollgrid cocked his head to one side, but kept the pistol aimed right at the fellow. “He spoke like the desert men, did he? Then maybe he’s one of their slaves.”
    Old Mathy shook his head. “He’s too proud to be a slave. Just look at him.”
     The tribesman towered above the Dwarfs, with a stern expression fixed on his face. He wasn’t happy, but he wasn’t that scared either.
      “Maybe he knows something we don’t know?” suggested little Habrodar.
      “Like what?” asked Bollgrid, narrowing his eyes beneath his bushy white eyebrows, and pushing back his morion helmet back a little. “What is it you know?”
       Suddenly Habrodar stopped fidgeting. When the others followed his gaze they saw that they were being watched from the hill.
       “Now I get it,” said Bollgrid. “You have friends with you.”

The Tassingbe warriors knew it was too late to hide. Besides, it looked to them that if they did not act soon, then one of their number was going to be killed. They counted four of the mountain dwarfs and a pony - surely not enough to cause them much trouble? But Agbeyama signalled them to stand for the moment, as he weighed up the situation. He knew little about such men, having seen only two of their kind once in the city of Amon, merchants from the cold northern lands. And even if he had learned about those two, which he had not, then who was to say that these mountain dwarfs where anything like their distant cousins? One thing he did know - his own warriors. It was Edem they had captured, and he was fearless, bold and quick in battle. It was highly likely that any moment now …
     Yes! Agbeyama saw it, Edem flashed a look their way, and before Agbeyama could even order the charge, Edem’s hand lashed out to strike the pistol. The shot rang out all around the valley, frightening the birds so that several trees erupted with fluttering and squawking. Edem had not been quick enough - either that or the Dwarf had somehow known what he intended before he tried it. The Tassingbe warriors watched as his body fell heavily backwards through the red mist of his blood.
     The dwarf began fiddling with his pistol, but before he could even open the pan to pour in some powder, the Tassingbe were already pelting down the hill, each one having dropped their shields so that they could run a little faster.

That evening.

Prince Sadrin could not believe his eyes. When the bundle had been brought to him he thought it must contain the head of an orc, though he could not understand why it was being shown to him. When his servant unwrapped it, however, he did not even need to see the flesh to know it was no orc. A mass of white beard hair, spattered with blood, appeared, then the face. It was a dwarf.
     It seemed that there were still dwarfs in these parts, perhaps still dwelling in the almost mythical hold of Karak Zorn? And his scouts had killed some of them.
     Sadrin’s face drained of colour, his eyes widening. He looked at the tribesman Agbeyama, the new commander of his irregular scouts. “By the gods, what have you done?”
« Last Edit: April 22, 2011, 07:22:00 PM by Padre »

Offline Von Kurst

• Members
« Reply #144 on: October 03, 2009, 03:44:20 PM »
I love the new forum format but I miss the end of many posts due to that blue bar.  Is it my computer or what?  (But I can view the whole post if I reply to it, hmmm.)

Anyway thanks Padre, another unlooked for twist!  Woot!

Offline stareso

• Members
« Reply #145 on: October 23, 2009, 11:21:06 AM »
Padre, I am following this thread with great interest! Great story telling and I feel wholly immersed in your elaborate background. The different parties all have a very unique feel and story. Love those Arabians.

Much appreciated that you create these gems for us, I am eagerly awaiting the continuation!

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #146 on: October 23, 2009, 05:59:42 PM »
I have to admit I am ever so slightly distracted by the run up to A4 - for which I am painting new regiments and writing fluff stories (in the same format as All That Glistens) but I wholly intend to return to this project once I come out of the other side of A4 (or some little bits sooner?).

I will put all the A4 stuff together as a thread here once I have enough to make a decent start - so there will be another thread like this to read appearing very soon.

Question for GMs - if I came back to All that Glistens in December, would that be called 'threadomancy'?

Offline Inarticulate

• Members
« Reply #147 on: October 23, 2009, 06:02:42 PM »
I don't think it qualifies as threadomancy in its your thread and you're coming back to it with something constructive.

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #148 on: October 24, 2009, 05:52:23 AM »

Indeed
Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #149 on: January 30, 2010, 12:06:25 PM »
At last ‘All That Glistens’ returns. After having been distracted for months first by the A4 (see ‘Joshua’s Journey’ in the Imperial Office) then by Xmas and then by the conversion and painting project I have just finished, I am now able to continue the story.

Uryens is gonna provide a Dwarfen army to represent the host of Karak Zorn in a battle against the arabs (which has ‘simply’ to be arranged) but for now let’s take a look at what’s going on in the vast green heart of the Southlands …

Deep Jungle, the Southlands

Outwardly, Tadinopo merely blinked. But inside, in his mind, a hard and shocking realisation had come to him - his spawn brothers were dead. He did not know the circumstances, where or how, for his mental connection with them had not matured to that level. He knew only that they no longer breathed, that their spirits had been wrenched from their mortal frames and cast into the realm upon the other side of the sky.

He had been running for three days now, stopping only whenever he reached a tribal settlement, and never for longer than a score of breaths. His presence alone, witnessed by the warriors, was enough. They knew they were summoned and they would obey. That morning he had visited the last of the tribes along this side of the river, and the army he planned was almost complete. The To-otinaks would bring their Salamanders, the Inni-ano their Gorillagors and dwarf boars, and the Putoo would ride their great Stegadon. There were no more warm-blood tribesmen he could summon, not here anyway - it was not pygmies he searched for but something else. He wanted the most ferocious warriors the Jungle had to offer, warm-bloods but not pygmy tribesmen. Warriors so mighty and ferocious that they were almost beasts, and only took up weapons and shields once a generation.

There was a scent upon the breeze and the sudden sense that eyes were upon him. He froze, going from frantic motion to statue-like stillness almost instantly, and the merest moment later any observing him would think him surely incapable of motion.

He had found them.

Care was needed, for these warriors did not think of him and his brothers as gods. They revered only his father. Their ancestors had guarded his father, escorted him in battle. And so would they, for this is what Tadinopo intended. He could think of no better way to rouse his father into action than to send his royal guard to fetch him.

Then one of the warriors appeared, bounding out of the canopy and raising his arms in threat. Tadinopo was surprised to see that each hand clutched a heavy flint weapon, counterweighted by a huge knob of wood. Perhaps the warriors already knew, somehow, that Father was threatened? Perhaps they could sense the presence of enemies in the jungle?

The warrior roared and Tadinopo could feel the warmth of his breath even from a distance of eight strides. Although still completely motionless, the larval slann’s mind was racing. He did not speak the warriors’ language and they could not comprehend his. There was only one word he could think of that they would recognise - his father’s name. He cocked his head to one side, a slight motion but one that silenced the warrior, and spoke the name.

“Doh-Oda-Toh”

In what appeared to be an attempt to mimic Tadinopo’s motion, the warrior also leaned his huge head to one side. Then he straightened, thrust his chin forwards and opened his mouth wide, baring huge white teeth and letting loose a loud roar. Within a dozen breaths warriors were pouring from the jungle.

Tadinopo had done enough and without waiting to count them, skittered away.

Game Notes:

I have finally finished my Gorillas, which took me years of searching to find. I got them from Black tree in the end (don't know how I missed them before). They will  form the Temple Guard for the Slann General, so that the army has both ‘counts as’ Saurus Warriors (my Pygmy boar riders) and ‘counts as’ Temple Guard (these gorillas). Woo hoo! Just need to get myself a Slann, and that’s being arranged (all bar the haggling!).

Here’s what they look like regimented up.

Simple, I know, but the time was taken up with the conversions (22 times over, weapons plus shields). The figures came as wild gorillas, so I either drilled holed in their hands and stuffed homemade stone-tipped weapons in them, or I cut human hands carrying swords off a sprue and converted the sword into a wooden stick with sharp bits on (teeth or stone), then plugged them into a hole drilled at the gorilla's cut wrist. An example ...

I also found a great way to glue plastic to metal, illustrated here (although I’m sure some of you already knew this) ...

Drill a hole in the figure, push a plastic rod in and clasp hard with pliers so it’s well and truly stuck in. Trim the end and then use that little area of plastic to attach the shield with a blob of glue. The trick is to really make sure that you’ve forced the plastic rod in so that it’s well and truly going nowhere.