home

Author Topic: What are you watching- TV shows  (Read 89498 times)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: What are you watching- TV shows
« Reply #525 on: August 31, 2018, 02:49:59 AM »
I'm also watching Disenchanted and generally liking it. I'm curious to see what you guys think of it as well. I like it, but I also feel like it's playing it a bit safe. Jokes are good, but not that special. The characters are fun, but awfully close to Futurama. I don't see as many similarities to the simpsons, but it absolutely feels like Futurama to me. That's not a bad thing of course, Futurama is one of my all time favorite shows, but I'm looking forward to season 2 because I hope it will really branch out.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #526 on: August 31, 2018, 07:39:38 AM »
Watching Rome at the moment, finished S1e5 few evenings ago
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #527 on: August 31, 2018, 07:51:46 AM »
I loved Rome.
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #528 on: August 31, 2018, 08:33:31 AM »
I loved Rome.

So far it's good and fun to watch, but not the best of what I've watched.. and I put some questions on it being historically correct. But that's more a feeling then actuall research I did on it.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #529 on: August 31, 2018, 09:19:02 AM »
I loved lots of other stuff as well! I wasn't claiming Rome was 'the best'.  :smile2:
Photobucket has now re-destroyed my pictures, so the first half of my collected works thread is no longer working again. To see my website version of the campaign thread, with fully functioning pictures, please go to https://bigsmallworlds.com/

Offline Realjuan

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
  • Always learning
« Reply #530 on: August 31, 2018, 09:38:14 AM »
Watching Fresh Prince of Bel Air funny, educational :D and never seen it before.

I tried Brooklyn Nine-Nine but it seemed really simple. Not sure if I should give it a little more time for characters to develop or something, but too simple atm.

Arrested Development relative funny, and a little more complex that Brooklyn Nine-Nine?

I am not much of a series/movies expert, so what do you suggest?

I loved Dr. House, was okay with breaking bad, and which there was more Blade.
Trading Orcs for Empire
"Gratitude is a duty which ought to be paid, but which none have a right to expect" Jean Jacque Rousseau

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #531 on: August 31, 2018, 11:37:36 AM »
disenchanted was dreadful. didnt get past 1st episode.

The Good Place is incredible.

Better call saul season 4 high quality as per usual.

New season of Bake off just started- nice contrast with Better call saul!
I don't care about the rules.

Pass the machete.

Offline Novogord

• Mr Goblin
  • Members
  • Wie wind zaait, zal storm oogsten
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001398349166
« Reply #532 on: August 31, 2018, 01:29:14 PM »
I'm also watching Disenchanted and generally liking it. I'm curious to see what you guys think of it as well. I like it, but I also feel like it's playing it a bit safe. Jokes are good, but not that special. The characters are fun, but awfully close to Futurama. I don't see as many similarities to the simpsons, but it absolutely feels like Futurama to me. That's not a bad thing of course, Futurama is one of my all time favorite shows, but I'm looking forward to season 2 because I hope it will really branch out.
I have watched 4 episodes now and I must say I'm also liking it. But it feels a lot like Futurama.
Only the dead have seen the end of the war

Being an intellectual creates a lot of questions and no answers.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #533 on: August 31, 2018, 08:14:05 PM »
I loved Rome.

So far it's good and fun to watch, but not the best of what I've watched.. and I put some questions on it being historically correct. But that's more a feeling then actuall research I did on it.

Still one of my favorites. Not totally accurate, but not too far off either. Better than I'd expect for most popular historical TV series or movies.

I watched a few trailers for Disenchanted and that killed any interest I had in it.

My 7 year old daughter and I have both been home sick all week. She introduced me to Trollhunters. She keeps bouncing around between a half dozen shows and I keep saying, "hey, how about more Trollhunters." (Not working...) One of the more enjoyable kids shows I've seen in a while!

My my wife, a friend, and finally I started watching the new Twin Peaks series a couple weeks ago. But our friend went on vacation, then the above mentioned sickness set in and now I'm aching to get back to more. Only watching the first two episodes, but I'm curious to see more. (Loved the original 2 seasons.)

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #534 on: August 31, 2018, 10:49:32 PM »
Every Twin Peaks series is ace, says a man in a pub. (Me.)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #535 on: September 01, 2018, 01:58:59 PM »
Watched Final Space. Enjoyed it a bunch actually.
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #536 on: September 01, 2018, 03:24:45 PM »
I cant sit through any Roman themed show without dropping Monty Python quotes

I tried watching Brooklyn 99 but found it too similar to Family guy. I just couldn't watch it.
ALSO decided to watch GLOW season 2 [again] I might have 80's exhaustion but I still love Glow.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #537 on: September 01, 2018, 04:07:07 PM »
Stan vs. Evil  ( campy but so fun) very Ash vs. Undead  :icon_lol: :icon_lol: :icon_lol:
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #538 on: September 04, 2018, 08:39:47 PM »
Disenchantment on Netflix. Its pretty funny if you're a fan of D&D, GoT, Conan the barbarian, or any fantasy setting.  It takes awhile to find its footing but its pretty good.  The last 3 episodes really drew me in and I just found out I missed the post credit scene from the final episode which gives a further "What?!" to the season ending. Unlike Futurama or the Simpsons it has a serial story as opposed to an episodic one. It has the same humor as Futurama but more raunchy since it isnt on TV (always look at the signs and backgrounds!). I can't wait to see season 2 after all the craziness and mystery that has been built up by the end of season 1.  That's another thing, netflix didn't list it as "season 1" but as "part 1" and the next season is called "part 2."  I found that an interesting decision. Maybe they planned to wrap it up after 2 seasons (parts)?
Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #539 on: September 04, 2018, 08:51:43 PM »
Take it with a grain of salt, but I was reading at one point that this is season 1, and they were waiting for that final episode to determine if they'd do a season 2 or a second half of season 1. I was reading this a month or two ago, but they were saying that if it's not well received they would take a break, rejig it and come back for season 2. If it WAS fairly well received they'd order another half to make each season about 20 episodes and not wait for a season 2.

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #540 on: September 19, 2018, 10:49:06 AM »
I've finished the second season of Luke Cage. It was really enjoyable and the ending had a nice twist to it. Mike Colter really brings this character to life.
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #541 on: September 19, 2018, 01:26:44 PM »
Meh.
I find Luke Cage super boring.
We smashed out Ironfist last week though. I found it fun and entertaining.
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #542 on: September 19, 2018, 05:55:15 PM »
Disenchantment was fun
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #543 on: September 20, 2018, 10:15:27 AM »
Disenchantment was shit.

Pass the machete.

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #544 on: September 20, 2018, 02:16:45 PM »
Final space was fun.

Offline Padre

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
« Reply #545 on: September 20, 2018, 08:56:49 PM »
Final Space was shit.

(I haven't actually seen it. I just wanted to keep the pattern of posts going longer.  :roll:)

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #546 on: September 20, 2018, 10:34:55 PM »
Final space was the shit.

(I haven't actually seen it. I just wanted to keep the pattern of posts going longer and mix it up baby!  :roll:)

Offline Feanor Fire Heart

• His Royal Highness
  • Members
« Reply #547 on: October 15, 2018, 01:38:00 AM »
Binged "Hilda" on Netflix with my wife and daughter.  Very whimsical and fun show.  Like a chill version of adventure time.  Its about a little girl who lives in the wilderness with her mom and encounters Norse creatures.  She deals with trolls that are rocks during the day and alive and destructive at night, mountain sized giants, and even tiny elves that want to evict her (but she cannot see them until she fills out the proper paperwork). I believe its based on a graphic novel of the same name and written by a guy who lived in Norway for a time when he was a kid. Wondering if anyone else has watched it (including our Scandinavian members). My father-in-law who loathes cartoons got quite invested in it. We loved it and I think its worth checking out. 

Something we as painters and hobbyists should always remember:
“Dude, suckin’ at something is the first step to being sorta good at something.”
― Jake the Dog

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #548 on: October 15, 2018, 04:20:17 AM »
I just finished watching Netflix's Origins of the mob. Its an interesting look at how the 'Lucky' Luciano and Al Capone came to power.

Offline Finlay

• Members
  • C'mon Son
« Reply #549 on: October 15, 2018, 11:03:14 AM »
I watched Hilda with my kids and we all loved it, definitely gonna get some of the comics.

Pass the machete.