home

Author Topic: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (update: out)  (Read 296396 times)

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Half-Orctober)
« Reply #1300 on: October 20, 2018, 11:54:14 AM »
He looks good. And technically a half-orc can be half-prettymuchanythingelse, so maybe these are hob-orcs!

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
  • i'm a mercenary doom bringer
« Reply #1301 on: October 21, 2018, 05:54:16 AM »
Thanks. Thats pretty much how I see it too. A couple of the big guys I painted before look closer to half-ogres. Plus I'm trying to Barry skin tones, etc.

First half of the unit done, all rank & file so far.

Offline Zygmund

• Pure of Heart
  • Members
    • https://www.facebook.com/groups/288460758594334
« Reply #1302 on: October 21, 2018, 08:08:29 AM »
Nice painting, as always.

I've got this unit, still unpainted, partly because I haven't decided how to differentiate the identical rank-and-file. The idea of mixed skin colours is classic, thus great, and I'm gonna so steal steal it.  :-)

-Z
Live in peace and prosper.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1303 on: October 21, 2018, 12:14:25 PM »
The small variations make all the difference, definitely taking that on board for my own Regiment of Renown plans

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1304 on: October 21, 2018, 12:22:46 PM »
I flipped into your website a few posts back, and the eye faeries are gruesome, which of course is the point.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1305 on: October 23, 2018, 05:24:49 PM »
Thanks. Here's a progress photo showing front and back painting variations. Rank & file are all done - just need to paint command figures & do the bases.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1306 on: October 28, 2018, 02:48:29 AM »

16 Half-orcs (old RR15 Citadel hobgoblins) done!

More pics, updates, and plans on my blog. https://www.zerotwentythree.com/

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1307 on: October 28, 2018, 11:55:07 AM »
Nice! So good I'm *almost* tempted to paint a regiment again. Almost.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1308 on: November 02, 2018, 05:24:16 AM »
Nice! So good I'm *almost* tempted to paint a regiment again. Almost.

Go for it! Pick a regiment where the troopers are all the same (or close enough ti the same)! That makes it easier.  :wink:

I treated myself to a couple packs of minis. This is one -- an experiment to see how some other figures would fit into my idea of half-orcs.

Details on the blog

I also got a bit distracted with some unexpected Halloween sculpting and painting. And toes.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Novemborc?)
« Reply #1309 on: November 10, 2018, 01:33:09 PM »

More half-orcs. I painted the mounted hero (Grenadier barbarian) and two of the Alternative Armies hobgoblins. I sense a little tension in this photo!

I admit that I'm not fond of the paint color on kitty and may try touching it up.

Also painted a bit of scenery for a friend's high elf army, that I've worked on over the years. Not sure who made it, but it's a pretty cool obelisk.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #1310 on: November 10, 2018, 03:17:14 PM »
Love the kitty cavalry! 
That half orc looks more worried about being a cat treat than taking on the enemy 😺
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1311 on: November 11, 2018, 12:24:27 AM »
Love your work on those random "half-orc" adoptions.

I've been meaning to ask you about bases. For the last 5 years plus I've been carefully removing cast-on bases to fit models on to my fancy resin bases. I wouldn't ever do that to, say, 100 classic 35 year old Orcs. Do you just glue yours to the bases and then use your scatters over the top, or is there an intermediate stage? I can't tell from your finished models! (which is something I'd like to achieve!)

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1312 on: November 11, 2018, 07:21:36 AM »
I've been meaning to ask you about bases. For the last 5 years plus I've been carefully removing cast-on bases to fit models on to my fancy resin bases. I wouldn't ever do that to, say, 100 classic 35 year old Orcs. Do you just glue yours to the bases and then use your scatters over the top, or is there an intermediate stage? I can't tell from your finished models! (which is something I'd like to achieve!)

I put the textured material on top. Somtimes I clip some of the flat base off, and sometimes I use left-over sculpting putty to "smooth out" the edges of minis that happen to be on my table at the time. In the case of the previous photo, the mounted hero had its plastic base built-up to a smooth transition to the miniature's base. But not the two on foot (or any of the five below.)

I use texture material o various sizes, and because of the way it seem to group itself together in the container, I can help break up any noticeable transitions in height. I do the same with the flocking, static grass, foliage, etc. and try to hide any rough transitions. Really depends on the individual figure to an extent.

Here's my texture material. Three sizes of material. The largest I typically paint grey, rather than brown. Helps break things up even more (visually).

Love the kitty cavalry! 
That half orc looks more worried about being a cat treat than taking on the enemy 😺

THat's how he keeps the troops in line!  :wink:

Finished all five half-orcs, from an Alternative Armies hobgoblins pack. Oldschool sculpts, and the casting was a little rough, but the minis are expressive and dynamic. I'm a big fan of three of the five, still like one of the remaining two, and the guy with the club...I guess he can tag along just because he's in good company.

I'm very curious about the vintage and history of these sculpts. I'd love more minis like these, but the AA orcs seem to be from a variety of sources, even just within the few hobgoblin packs.

Offline Shadespyre

• Members
« Reply #1313 on: November 11, 2018, 12:02:17 PM »
Really useful, thanks. That's pretty much how my local gaming buddy does his bases, while I've been a PVA and sand guy for the last 20 years. I might still go the same route but it's nice to know the option is there. I've also considered going to flat MDF squares for bases (to give a larger flat area at the top) but I have so many 25mm slottas that it seems a waste not to use them.

Regarding the origin of AA miniature sculpts, I suspect it is long and complicated. There are a lot of ranges out there which have changed hands around the industry for two or three decades. Look how many places Grenadier minis have been manufactured over the years! It's possible AA no longer know who sculpted which, but you could always drop them a line to ask. They may also be willing to sell you different combinations of miniatures - as a relatively small company they probably have that flexibility.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1314 on: November 12, 2018, 12:15:44 AM »

I got a bit of info from Hobgoblin @ LAF.

These were originally part of Rieder Design's Dungeon Dwellers range. There used to be lots of adverts for that range in White Dwarf in the early 80s. A lot of them hold up very well - especially the "Homus Hyena" gnolls (you can see one half-painted here).

I think the hobgoblins were one of the later Rieder releases. Their armour is very similar to Aly Morrison's C36 hobgoblins (released in 1984), so that could be an influence. But it might just be "parallel evolution" from the Monster Manual illustrations.

Which then led me to...

http://www.miniatures-workshop.com/lostminiswiki/index.php?title=Dungeon_Dwellers_%28Rieder_Design%29

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #1315 on: November 12, 2018, 04:32:54 AM »
How is no one commenting on the freaking Toe you made? That thing is creepy.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (more stuff...)
« Reply #1316 on: November 16, 2018, 04:54:38 AM »
How is no one commenting on the freaking Toe you made? That thing is creepy.

Haha!  :mrgreen:

I took a break from the half-orcs and jumped ahead to some minis I had prepped for the next theme-month: Deadcember.

I was too excited to see how they would look, and it was a super quick painting project. I like the idea of light skeletal artillery better than individual skeleton archers. This is an old Grenadier set. More undead fun coming in a few more weeks.

A couple weeks ago I mentioned that I treated myself to a few minis -- namely the pack of Alternative Armies hobgoblins. There were two "treats" and the second one just arrived today...

Two trolls from Artizan/Mike Owen (via Northstar.) I thought they looked like they would go well with the Satyr Art Studio/Drew Williams trolls. While I'm happy that the sculpting and casting are just as good, I'm a little disappointed that the're a bit smaller. But I'm hoping that after they're painted and based, they'll fit in a bit better.

I'm expecting the third set of 3 Satyr/Drew trolls to arrive any time now. So I'll have a nice small batch of trolls to paint up soon. I should try to find one more to fit in with these, and make it 6 to paint.

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #1317 on: November 19, 2018, 05:10:44 AM »
Your Drew Williams trolls are excellent. I'm impatiently awaiting for mine to arrive in the post.

I do find that in general once models are painted it helps mask any size differences. Though that shaman looking one might be a bit tough to hide.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #1318 on: November 19, 2018, 10:39:40 AM »
Those trolls look like they'll be ok.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1319 on: November 20, 2018, 12:23:59 PM »
The shaman is a bit short, but at least the squatting pose gives an excuse for that.

My Drew trolls just arrived yesterday. They came with a couple of extra heads - so Im going to look into converting up at least one additional troll.

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #1320 on: November 20, 2018, 01:47:44 PM »
Great stuff dude  :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline orcyboy

• Members
« Reply #1321 on: November 20, 2018, 09:48:21 PM »
The shaman is a bit short, but at least the squatting pose gives an excuse for that.

My Drew trolls just arrived yesterday. They came with a couple of extra heads - so Im going to look into converting up at least one additional troll.

I got mine yesterday too. The extra heads are exactly what I needed, I have an old Citadel Bottsnortle giant missing his head.  The extra pipe and blunt that came along with them is a nice touch too.

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
« Reply #1322 on: November 22, 2018, 03:55:16 AM »

I like the extra "accessories" too -- though they're making me face the difficult choice of which to use.

Forgot to post this. Finished this standard for the half-orcs a little while ago. This was an old mini -- one of the first I owned & painted more than 30 years ago -- and recently stripped. An old Grenadier orc. Photo shown with some of the other half-orcs for comparison.

He's a little larger (and uglier) but that's OK -- the big mean guy gets the honor of carrying the standard. Who's going to argue?

His helmet reminds me of the headgear of a certain Lichemaster...

Offline The Black Knight

• Members
« Reply #1323 on: November 22, 2018, 10:14:36 AM »
Just wanted to chime in and say that this blog is filled with all things great! I really dig those half-orc units of yours. I once had an idea to do a regiment of mercenary hobgoblins/half-orcs for an Empire/Merc army, using the skullpas goblins as base for conversions. Did two and got bored. Good to know there are so many models out there that would fit the bill, should I ever wish to revisit that particular idea.

Keep on rocking!
"All right... we'll call it a draw".

My fantasy-themed terrain log

Offline ZeroTwentythree

• Members
Re: Pandemonium Multi-PLog (Deadcember!)
« Reply #1324 on: December 02, 2018, 07:04:11 AM »
Thanks! I've had to look around a lot and experiment. I'm surprised how few hobgoblin & half-orc minis are available. At least for regiments in wargames (vs. RPG characters.)

Deadcember is upon us. Or me, at least. I cheated and started a couple days early and finished my first batch on Dec. 1. Eight more oldschool skeletons for my mercenary regiment(s). They're the oldschool Citadel plastics, missing the skulls so I used some of my last remaining resin skulls from Secret Weapon.

Added to the existing...