home

Author Topic: Empire Secessionists Army  (Read 24599 times)

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
Empire Secessionists Army
« on: March 11, 2018, 09:13:30 AM »
Good day, ladies and gentlemen! )  :happy:

I have always been a fan of Warhammer Fantasy world and lore. When the End Times started I was surprised, when the new AoS started I was rather appalled. And remain in that state. The new miniatures are great, of course, but the lore is just bland. So I prefer to stay in the good Old World.

Then the TW:Warhammer came out and one particular faction I found most interesting: Empire Secessionists. I might be wrong but I can't recall any mention of any separatist movement in Empire fluff. I guess it is simply because the Empire is a loose confederacy so you can't really "secede" from it, but since they are positioned in Reikland I suppose they wanted independence on a province level, or at least to become free city-states.

Anyway, I thought the idea of making an Empire Secessionists army was a good one. I chose grey and blue colour scheme for two reasons: first it is reminiscent of Middenland, so I like the idea of them unofficially supporting the rebellion. And the second reason is surprisingly Star Wars: the separatists there also had grey and blue scheme.

Later some scenery will follow. But for now just some painted troops. Oh, BTW I multibase my armies because I actually play Mantic's Kings of War (use the rules) a far superior game to WH 8-th edition and AoS in my opinion.  :smile2:

Empire Secessionists Heave Pike Regiment

Empire Secessionists Handgunners

Empire Secessionists Greatswords

Any comments, please? )  :blush:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Re: Empire Secessionists Army
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 10:01:29 AM »
Beautiful. Welcome also (at least to the land of the posting).

I really love the shields, and also the purple sashes. How do you do that purple?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 10:21:44 AM »
Beautiful. Welcome also (at least to the land of the posting).

I really love the shields, and also the purple sashes. How do you do that purple?

Thank you very much!  :blush: I have posted before on the forum (http://warhammer-empire.com/theforum/index.php?topic=51727.0), but got preoccupied with my Ogre pirate army, so had to postpone my Empire army.

Well, just applying genestealer purple over xereus purple with a bit of white. Originally I wanted to make it red, but that would be too Reiklandish. Another idea was to make it black, but that din't look right. So I pretend that they are wearing something like that:

:smile2:

Offline Fidelis von Sigmaringen

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 10:39:11 AM »
Excellent work. 

On a side note: Marienburg seceded from the Empire in 2429. As it happens, blue is the colour of Marienburg in my History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time, although the official colours seem to be blue, yellow and red.
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2018, 11:04:53 AM »
Excellent work. 

On a side note: Marienburg seceded from the Empire in 2429. As it happens, blue is the colour of Marienburg in my History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time, although the official colours seem to be blue, yellow and red.

Thanks a lot! )  :smile2:

Wow, that is a lovely thread you linked! I shall most definitely have a read. Most impressive!  :Ohmy:
Yes, Marienburg is the first thing that comes to mind when we think about separatism in the Empire. But I have always had an impression that it quite literally bought its independence from Emperor Dieter (?). However I need to read your thread carefully to educate myself on that. )  :smile2:

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2018, 11:14:20 AM »
Oh I remember that thread and when you joined then. Has it seriously been about 1 1/2 years since then? Wow!
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2018, 11:36:50 AM »
Oh I remember that thread and when you joined then. Has it seriously been about 1 1/2 years since then? Wow!

Yes, I'm afraid. Time is flowing unforgivingly fast. )  :unsure:

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2018, 02:44:21 PM »
What a great fluff story. I really like the blue and grey colours
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 04:50:28 PM »
What a great fluff story. I really like the blue and grey colours

Thank you very much. The fluff will most likely evolve as I will be adding new units.

I am currently working on some scenery for my Empire collection. So most likely this thread will turn into something bigger than just one army.  :smile2:

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 05:00:01 PM »
[Wow, that is a lovely thread you linked! I shall most definitely have a read. Most impressive!  :Ohmy:
Yes, Marienburg is the first thing that comes to mind when we think about separatism in the Empire. But I have always had an impression that it quite literally bought its independence from Emperor Dieter (?). However I need to read your thread carefully to educate myself on that. )  :smile2:

Thank you! Well, secession just means "the withdrawal of a group from a larger entity, especially a political entity." Of course, the Empire's official position is that the granting of independence by Dieter IV was an illegal act, and that Marienburg is still part of the Empire. There were three campaigns against the city immediately after the secession in 2429, which all failed to bring Marienburg back under Empire control. The official position of the Empire has since been de facto ignored for practical purposes.

Keep the good work up!
It is not enough to have no ideas of your own; you must also be incapable of expressing them.
Sex, lies and manuscripts: The History of the Empire as Depicted in the Art of the Time (10/07/16)

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 05:44:36 PM »
Thank you! Well, secession just means "the withdrawal of a group from a larger entity, especially a political entity." Of course, the Empire's official position is that the granting of independence by Dieter IV was an illegal act, and that Marienburg is still part of the Empire. There were three campaigns against the city immediately after the secession in 2429, which all failed to bring Marienburg back under Empire control. The official position of the Empire has since been de facto ignored for practical purposes.

Thank you very much for clarifying that!  :smile2: That enriches the fluff behind my army even more! Being backed by Middenland and Marienburg at the same time! Which places the home city of my army somewhere close to the border with both Middenland and Westerland. If we are to believe this map, then to the far west along the river Reik.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 05:48:16 PM by The Penguin »

Offline hamster

• Members
  • doesn't have pictures of the sprue
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 06:55:25 PM »
this is one of the most original armies I have ever seen, good work lad
There is no wrong state to play as, except for middenland

Offline Illumini

• Members
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 07:24:18 PM »
Cool fluff and an impressive amount of painted infantry. Looking forward to more
Kislev Army Blog - https://mandollies.com

Offline Il Condottiero

• Members
  • Crying Havoc since 1992!
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 07:28:37 PM »
Lovely looking army, and a rather unique concept - tackling on your own the concept, I mean.

I do Marienburg myself, also on the perspective of an Imperial secessionist force in a sense.
Seeee todo este ouro... for MEU!

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 08:21:53 PM »
this is one of the most original armies I have ever seen, good work lad

Thank you very much. That solved quite a bit of time for me thinking about what province to paint. Since I couldn't decide between Reikland, Middenland or Marienburg. )  :smile2:

Cool fluff and an impressive amount of painted infantry. Looking forward to more

Thank you very much. More infantry on the way! )  :smile2:

Lovely looking army, and a rather unique concept - tackling on your own the concept, I mean.

I do Marienburg myself, also on the perspective of an Imperial secessionist force in a sense.

Thanks a lot! I would love to see your Marienburg army, could you possibly provide a link to the thread where I could have a look, please?  :smile2:

Offline scrubber

• Members
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2018, 11:09:37 PM »
Nice crisp painting. Isn't there something in ETW computer game about troops being sent from Middenheim to help the secession?
What size base does KOW use, does each figure still occupy a 20mmx20mm area ?

Offline Rowsdower

• Members
  • Is there beer on the sun?
    • Jesse Cowled
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2018, 04:07:46 AM »
Great job

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2018, 05:55:24 AM »
Nice crisp painting. Isn't there something in ETW computer game about troops being sent from Middenheim to help the secession?
What size base does KOW use, does each figure still occupy a 20mmx20mm area ?

Thanks a lot. ) Yes, there is some mission for Karl Franz where there is a battle between Reikland and Middenland. If I recall correctly reiklanders assault middenlanders on march to send a message to Todbringer not to support secessionists ever again. However this mission becomes active after the separatists are destroyed, if I am right.

Yes, each figure still should be on 20x20 mm base, but the beauty of KoW is that it is the regiment that is important, not every single miniature. I, for example, have 8 figures instead of classical 10 on my base. But the base is still 100x40 mm base. So a long as the base is of the correct size you can put as many (or as few) miniatures on it as you like. Which opens a world of possibilities for mini dioramas, scenes, vignettes, etc.

I often use 8 instead of 10 miniatures because I have always found regiments in WH too "cramped together". I mean that might work well for a shield wall or halberdiers even, confronting cavalry, but it looks odd for handgunners. Being in such tight formations meant having to hit each other with your elbows all the time!

There is amino mum model count rule in KoW still. 50% + 1 model for the unit. For example, you want a unit of 10 (which are called troops in KoW), so you need to have a base of 100x40 mm and at least 6 miniatures on it. The rest of the space can be occupied with everything you might wish. )

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2018, 08:35:30 AM »
I don't think it would make sense for Marienburg to support secessionists. As far as I've understood, Marienburg retains its independence largely by making it not worth it for the Empire to reconquer it. Partly by making sure the price to pay for reconquest would be prohibitively high, both in terms of direct military effort needed and in terms of collateral damage it would do by disrupting trade. But also partly by playing nice with the Empire and being generally aligned with it in international politics. Support for secessionism would go against the latter.

A more likely candidate for secession would indeed rather be a bunch of northern electors who might resent the primacy of the Cult of Sigmar. Essentially, the electors of the northern old-gods-worshipping forest provinces. They might think they have little common interest with the southern provinces except for mutual defence against external enemies, something they shouldn't need a unified empire for.
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2018, 10:16:29 AM »
I don't think it would make sense for Marienburg to support secessionists. As far as I've understood, Marienburg retains its independence largely by making it not worth it for the Empire to reconquer it. Partly by making sure the price to pay for reconquest would be prohibitively high, both in terms of direct military effort needed and in terms of collateral damage it would do by disrupting trade. But also partly by playing nice with the Empire and being generally aligned with it in international politics. Support for secessionism would go against the latter.

A more likely candidate for secession would indeed rather be a bunch of northern electors who might resent the primacy of the Cult of Sigmar. Essentially, the electors of the northern old-gods-worshipping forest provinces. They might think they have little common interest with the southern provinces except for mutual defence against external enemies, something they shouldn't need a unified empire for.

Very good point, I guess.  :smile2: Mariendurg would indeed see it as something "bad for business". Directly supporting separatism would be useless, however where there is war there is profit, so I guess Marienburg would hold a neutral position, selling stuff to both sides. This is not an uncommon situation in our own history.

In TW:W as far as I recall Middinland supports secessionists because of Todbringer's failure to become the Emperor. So I would indeed stick to the idea that it is Middenland that keeps this separatist movement afloat not to destroy the entire Empire but to irritate Reikland.  :closed-eyes:

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2018, 10:49:48 AM »
Of course, you could go back in time, to the Age of Wars, which saw plenty of secessions. The most important secession was the Ottilian Empire (Talabecland) 1360-2304. Even under KF, there is still some nostalgia in Talabecland for the Ottilian Empire. 

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2018, 12:16:04 PM »
Of course, you could go back in time, to the Age of Wars, which saw plenty of secessions. The most important secession was the Ottilian Empire (Talabecland) 1360-2304. Even under KF, there is still some nostalgia in Talabecland for the Ottilian Empire.
Yes, I thought of that actually. Placing my army somewhere 1000 years ago would solve quite a lot of problems, but what bugs me is that in that case the looks of the uniform and general attire should be less "modern". I know that the Empire has been stale for decades if not centuries in terms of technology and perhaps even fashion  (I am not entirely sure that I am correct here), but not to that extent. Making them less renaissance and more medieval would simply kill quite a lot of appeal that they have for me.  :-P

I think I shall stick to the very local,  de facto Middenland governed secessionist movement somewhere in the first years of Karl Franz's reign. That is not entirely impossible, is it? What do you think?  :smile2:

Offline Zak

• Members
  • Mad Viking
    • Mad Viking
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2018, 01:38:31 PM »
WHOA, epic !! :::cheers::: :::cheers::: :::cheers:::
Yes I'm dyslexic so what

Offline The Penguin

• Members
  • Empire Secessionist
« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2018, 03:23:41 PM »
WHOA, epic !!

Thank you. Cheers! )  :::cheers:::

• Members
  • Attorney-at-RAW
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2018, 04:42:25 PM »
You look different somehow. Did you do something to your hair?

But on topic: do they need to secede from the Empire? How about just seceding from Middenland or other region.?