home

Author Topic: How is AoS 2nd edition?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
How is AoS 2nd edition?
« on: July 17, 2016, 12:56:00 AM »
So with Generals handbook out with all these new rules and a few changed warscrolls, how is 2nd edition Age of Sigmar?

I have an Orruk army I want to get on the table.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
Re: How is AoS 2nd edition?
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 05:53:47 AM »
It's definitely a must buy for competitive play and well worth the price as it's packed with content. (AoS 2nd edition is a clever way to put it. ;) )

This conversation puts a good idea on how it balances out armies. (Not perfect but not horrible either)

Quote from: NinthMusketeer 695171 8769736 211afa2976e6121db7b333df53eb5aee.jpg
Quote from: sfshilo 695171 8769728 cd0627130d433420f873d759b855a45b.jpg
I also got a good long look at this.  Very nice, not sure if points are balanced or not.
As compared to the balance of GW's points from the last 5 years or so they are good; very playable without obvious must/never take options. That said, no they are not balanced. Some models are over/undercosted a fair margin and on the whole monsters/heroes (and especially monster heroes) cost too little for how powerful they are. The forge organization does help somewhat, though I find the monster limit ('Behemoths') to not be very restrictive as compared to heroes & war machines.

[size=9]Automatically Appended Next Post:[/size]
Quote from: Grimgold 695171 8763715 3a4a3fe5846e8e6de3573eda780ece33.png
Since batltions cost points, it's a choice as opposed to compulsory. I saw a very clever use of one in a batrep using skyborn slayers and a single hero in hiding to stay off of the board so a celstant prime could charge up. When the force landed the celestant prime had 8 attacks at 2+/3+ with -3 rend and 3w per hit. His first attack He dropped 21 wounds with no saves due to rend on a dragon with 18 wounds. I'm not a fan of laming it out like that, but I had to admit it was effective.
The Pitched Battle scenarios would make such a tactic near auto-lose; the opponent would have too many victory points from board control for the Stormcast to recover.

Here's also a matched play conversation and gaming diary's review of the book:

https://m.reddit.com/r/ageofsigmar/

https://ttgamingdiary.wordpress.com/2016/06/29/review-generals-handbook-campaign-pack/

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 05:57:51 AM by Baron von Klatz »
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline Ursa Doom

• Members
  • From northern Sweden
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 12:31:10 PM »
I actually preorderd the book and I'm getting psyched about building my Empire/Freeguilder army after the End Times killed my motivation. Nordland will rise again!

Offline DVeight

• Members
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2016, 01:39:48 AM »
Have played two games under Pitched battle system. I like the points being back in and the balancing though only two games in so wont make a firm decision until I get a few games under my wing. Both games were against Sylvaneth though. First game was Escalation which was a fun and challenging scenario. We both finished on same objective points and I won a marginal victory on model lost count back.

Second game I was tabled by the Sylvaneth. He had slightly different list and mine was a list with a cavalry focus this time. The empire knights were woeful. Don't find them effective at all in this game. Their stats are poor (cant understand how a lance doesn't do rend). Had four units (5 knights each unit) charge into unit of kurnoth with three models and over two turns of combat all I did was one wound. Kurnoth have ability to raise a thicket and re roll any failed saves. So the dice economy is as follows, 4+ to hit, 4+ to wound then he has 4+ to save and re-roll failed saves. So those dice are whittled down to nothing. As I said, one wound only. :( Wont be playing knights for a long time. Over costed for what they can do. They feel more like a skirmish cavalry than what traditionally knights should be like.

Offline The Peacemaker

• Members
  • Baron Karl von Balombine of Wissenland
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2016, 11:58:30 AM »
Have played two games under Pitched battle system. I like the points being back in and the balancing though only two games in so wont make a firm decision until I get a few games under my wing. Both games were against Sylvaneth though. First game was Escalation which was a fun and challenging scenario. We both finished on same objective points and I won a marginal victory on model lost count back.

Second game I was tabled by the Sylvaneth. He had slightly different list and mine was a list with a cavalry focus this time. The empire knights were woeful. Don't find them effective at all in this game. Their stats are poor (cant understand how a lance doesn't do rend). Had four units (5 knights each unit) charge into unit of kurnoth with three models and over two turns of combat all I did was one wound. Kurnoth have ability to raise a thicket and re roll any failed saves. So the dice economy is as follows, 4+ to hit, 4+ to wound then he has 4+ to save and re-roll failed saves. So those dice are whittled down to nothing. As I said, one wound only. :( Wont be playing knights for a long time. Over costed for what they can do. They feel more like a skirmish cavalry than what traditionally knights should be like.

I started going through the rules. And looking up 1st edition AoS rules as well since I'm going to be playing orruks in AoS.
......seems to be a fairly big difference.
For Wissenland and the Countess!!!

My Painting Blog
My Entire Gallery

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2016, 01:20:29 PM »
 :icon_eek:  There's a 2nd Edition already?  Why am I not surprised. :icon_wink:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Duinila

• Members
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2016, 01:25:30 PM »
:icon_eek:  There's a 2nd Edition already?  Why am I not surprised. :icon_wink:

Well they released a book that amongst others contains a point system, including all the old stuff like The Empire, which I think is pretty sweet, since I can still play Karl Franz and Kurt Helborg now! :D

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2016, 08:44:21 AM »
Indeed, the general's handbook is a real treat all-around for competitive players and narrative players.

Really hoping they one day release a Big Red Book version with everything from updated factions, relics, narratives and lore. I would pre-order it on the very minute it appeared on the site. :-D
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.