home

Author Topic: Summer Campaign  (Read 7675 times)

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Summer Campaign
« on: June 20, 2016, 06:04:43 PM »
New information about the summer campaign

Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
Re: Summer Campaign
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2016, 11:35:56 PM »
Duh duh duh...

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
  • warhammer> All other works of mankind
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2016, 07:03:02 AM »
One has to wonder what the xenophobic Sylvaneths think about huge cities popping up on their (once) perfect forest world...

Really interested to see how these three cities will be handled. The rumors of the campaign split between continents (something like America, Europe and Asia) could be connected to this.
"No battle is ever meaningless for all life is merely death post-poned"
-elector count of the Empire.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2016, 01:47:32 PM »
Don't be fooled by rumors!

Wait my children, and you shall see, if it'll be one lamp for land, or two by sea!

:engel:
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 09:58:39 AM »
Sounds interesting- I just hope it'll be more than just reporting battles for a few days before pre-generated fluff is released to show who won- oh wo am I kidding, this is GW we're talking about, they don't hold a candle to the fan-created campaigns ;).
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2016, 11:51:55 AM »
The difference this time Is that they've created a new area within the Realm of Life, 3 cities for this campaign.  We're not fighting over anything particularly established.  There is nothing to Retcon if it doesn't go to plan.

It's not like losing Middenheim, Albion or the Old World.  Something we already care about.

We're fighting to see if this new are is permanently established, or never gets going.

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2016, 05:43:02 PM »
Not to mention if battles can only be reported in the GW store terminal (Something I thought I heard?) that will cut down on a lot of the report cheating that happened.

I'm cautiously optimistic about this. The big summer campaigns were always super enjoyable to me, even if the finale fluff was usually lackluster.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2016, 10:37:03 AM »
Well if the campaigns are being reported through the GW stores, guess I won't be participating for that reason alone.  No GW store even close to where I live in New England.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2016, 11:01:51 AM »
From what I am reading, some independent FLGSs can also participate.  I just don't think there will be a home result submission option.  Probably to limit the levels of cheating there was in some of the previous campaigns

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2016, 03:54:33 PM »
Yeah it looks like some FLGS will get it as well. I found out my local one can do it last night. Apparently stores can register, especially if there's no local GW.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2016, 06:34:39 PM »
Will only W:AoS games count?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2016, 07:10:54 PM »
I'd say it depends on the location and the scenarios for the campaign. My local guy mentioned they planned to do Mordheim and possibly 8th depending on the players.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2016, 09:20:06 AM »
I heard there might be a campaign book with a number of battleplans  (Scenarios ).   Also heard there might ne new stuff for the new Warhammer Quest that ties in with the campaign

Offline DanteValentine

• Members
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2016, 05:47:13 PM »
Speaking to my local GW manager and he said that there was going to be a new book prior to detailing all the battles and because it is being fought over something that isn't established in the world and critical to its existence (i.e Middenheim etc!), the results will effect the book being released after.

I also heard that you earn points by playing battles, buying units/formations and painting (more points for playing), but you get a scratch card in your shop with a code that you have to enter to prove your participation to prevent people just sitting at home and skewing the results.

Also, mine is running a few different variations; the one i'm interested in is one hero and one unit and going from there. A General and some Greatswords it is! Chop chop chop!

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2016, 03:11:50 PM »
more information given through the FB page:

As Sigmar’s hosts strike against Chaos in the Realmgate Wars, we have been given glimpses of key locations within the Mortal Realms.

Now the Season of War dawns, for the first time we get a true look at the full majesty of the Realm of Life.
And it's huge! Those of you up to date on the Realmgate Wars books migth be able to spot a few locations on there.

Upon three strategic points on this landscape are the Seeds of Hope, the new cities of Order that you will be battling over during this Global Campaign – but who will claim them? Muster your forces now, for Order, Chaos, Death or Destruction – the campaign begins on the 14th of July.

More details on how you can take part are on the way soon.
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2016, 04:09:43 PM »
Interesting.

So is this elves and man against Nurgle, or is there more to it than that?

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2016, 04:48:19 PM »
Sounds more like a free for all with each faction trying to claim one of these cities and whatever land they can get.

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2016, 06:18:35 PM »
Gankom has the right of it, the upcoming campaign will see all the armies of AoS trying to conquer or save the realm of life. The outcome of the campaign will determine what happens to the realm, the three cities and the next book series.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2016, 11:23:04 AM »
I was up my local GW yesterday evening, and I've been told some of the events start this weekend, with the mustering for war,   and that the General's Handbook goes on pre-order this weekend.  Most GW stores will also have a copy they can show to people as well.    There is a little progress card for the campaign, for collecting, painting and playing in the campaign.   Not sure how it works yet, and what you get for filling in all the boxes on the card, but don't expect to be much more than a badge or something

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2016, 03:27:57 PM »
I contacted my local GW (Belfast) yesterday via Facebook private message and was told that you will be able to use any army in this campaign. Battles can be fought at home or in store, however, you must record results in store.

I contacted them after all sorts of wild rumours I had read such as that you were only allowed to play in the campaign if you bought models for it there and then and could prove it (and thus be signed up). Apparently this is indeed untrue. I will be taking part using my 'Empire' army.

"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2016, 09:24:24 AM »
Hey Alexis, great to hear from you again! :smile2:

As absurd as that rumor was, it did have a very small kernel of truth. You can get points for the campaign by buying and painting models as well.

(And yes, Oxycuter,  the prizes are badges)

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/695273.page

Good luck in the campaign,  Alexis, you know I'll be rooting for you! :biggriin:

Offline Demonslayer

• Members
« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2016, 11:46:11 AM »
As absurd as that rumor was, it did have a very small kernel of truth. You can get points for the campaign by buying and painting models as well.

Yep, basically you get points for painting by making an agreement with the staff at a GW store about what models you will finish in a certain period of time. If you finish the models on time, it counts as reporting in the campaign.

Also I understood that you don't need to play games at the shop; you can play them anywhere and then report them at the store, but only a few at a time; if you come in every week saying you've played thirty or more games, they're gonna get suspicious. Also it would be preferable to make pictures of your battles and then post them on the GW store's facebook page, it would serve as evidence of your games :).

Has anything more been explained about the story, other than "four cities pop up in Ghyran, go nuts"?
Wartales online campaigns, dedicated to bringing you the best in online warhammer campaigns!

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2016, 03:24:02 AM »
In the Age of Sigmar App, under gaming aids, aside from the new FAQs, there is a background/ setting document for the Season of War. 

And,  having been up the store again yesterday,  you can get some gaming tokens, wound counters and effect counters for reaching goals on the card for painting and playing.

Sent from my thingamajig via wadyamacallit

Offline Baron von Klatz

• Members
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2016, 05:17:05 AM »
Haha, can't believe I didn't notice that until now! Thanks for the heads up, Oxycutor!  :lol:

Two things stand out to me:

1. I was indeed correct that the Sylvaneth don't care at all for the giant floating industrial civilization in the middle of their pristine lands. Surprising to hear them and the Free Guild actually came to blows over it. I suppose their friendship with the Stormcast doesn't extend to the free people.

2. The two realm spanning city mentioned the Ironweld using mobile forts to claim more lands in the realm of fire. That makes me hopeful for a future Free Guild release of either a massive steam tank/fortress model or a new Order building.

Offline Alexis

• Members
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 11:01:23 AM »
Chaps, I've seen the Empire points in the Handbook for this campaign, but has anyone seen any of the Freeguild leaks? I need it for state troops points!!
"Dressing a bear in fine silks does not make it civilised, though in the city of Kislev it could pass at court."