home

Author Topic: Skaven and Beastmen combined?  (Read 5040 times)

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
Skaven and Beastmen combined?
« on: September 11, 2017, 06:52:39 AM »
Whats all this about?
Quote from: Gneisenau
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline StealthKnightSteg

• Members
  • Squishing Squickhoppers since 1999
    • https://www.facebook.com/vincent.goede
Re: Skaven and Beastmen combined?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 08:16:13 AM »
where did you hear this?

Only thing that I can come up with is that now with the new Generals HandBook 2017 you can use 20% of your list value as allies, so then you might be able to use beastmen with Skaven (at the moment I don't know if beastmen are able to ally with Skaven or viceversa.. every faction has it's list of possible allies)
Everyone is entitled to be stupid, but some abuse the privilege.

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music." -- Kristian Wilson, Nintendo, Inc, 1989

Offline warhammerlord_soth

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Eurobash : Ascension weekend. Be there !
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 01:32:17 PM »
Skaven+Beastman ?

Skaveman ?

S-kaveman ?

Super Cavemen incoming !

Have one  on Midaski's tab.  :::cheers:::
Famous last words. R.I.P.

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 03:14:27 PM »
Not sure what you're asking.

1.) Are Skaven and Beastmen being combined into a new race?
2.) Are Skaven and Beastmen being combined into a new army?
3.) Are Skaven and Beastmen allowed to play as an army?

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2017, 09:58:24 PM »
If this is because of my skaven/ beastmen army combo, it's only that I can. I didn't realize that only 20% can be allies but that's what I will aim for. It's just some fluff from the Warbeast book from the realmgate Wars. Nothing official
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020
Yes, even W:AoS.

Offline Konrad von Richtmark

• Members
  • Marius Leitdorf Lives!
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 12:30:05 PM »
Speaking of skaven and beastmen, has my package arrived at you yet?
The only good thing about 7th ed heads is that they look particularly inbred and superstitious which is perfect for Stirlanders

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2017, 05:18:44 PM »
Speaking of skaven and beastmen, has my package arrived at you yet?

Not yet sir! But our postage isn't the fastest lol.
Mathi Alfblut Feb 4,2017 Simple, You gut the bastard with your sword, the viking way.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
  • Happy Spring! : )
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 08:13:18 AM »
Skaven don't exist.
"Not all who wander are lost ... " Tolkien

"... my old suggestion is forget it, take two aspirins and go paint" steveb

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

"Until death it is all life." Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2017, 11:21:53 AM »

Skaven don't exist.

:biggriin:

Edit: they exist! I assure you. They are now appearing in numbers in my basement. Time for pest control.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 11:33:07 AM by Artobans Ghost »
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
    • https://www.facebook.com/michalgorzanski
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2017, 01:17:43 PM »
Skaven don't exist.

It was in the Old World, not the new ones. :biggriin:
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

http://italwaysrainsinnuln.blogspot.com/

"Dude, that's not funny. Xathrodox would never settle for being a middleman."

Gneisenau

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2017, 01:24:16 PM »
The Old world exists, the skaven don't.

- - -

Skaven in the basement?  That's nothing, they roam my living room, and sometimes other rooms, except the bathroom where the door is closed.

"The beauty of curiosity and creativity is so much more useful than the passion of fear." me

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2017, 01:31:30 PM »
The Old world exists, the skaven don't.

- - -

Skaven in the basement?  That's nothing, they roam my living room, and sometimes other rooms, except the bathroom where the door is closed.

Gutter runners have already infiltrated your dirty laundry bin, have no doubt about that. ;)
Check out my wargaming blog "It always rains in Nuln". Reviews, rants and a robust dose of wargaming and RPG fun guaranteed. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2017, 01:39:11 PM »
where did you hear this?

Only thing that I can come up with is that now with the new Generals HandBook 2017 you can use 20% of your list value as allies, so then you might be able to use beastmen with Skaven (at the moment I don't know if beastmen are able to ally with Skaven or viceversa.. every faction has it's list of possible allies)

I think i may have been confused because of this:

If this is because of my skaven/ beastmen army combo, it's only that I can. I didn't realize that only 20% can be allies but that's what I will aim for. It's just some fluff from the Warbeast book from the realmgate Wars. Nothing official

On the flip side, it kinda makes sense that furry's would team up...
Wasn't sure if it was a new warscroll (is that what they are called) with some fun fluff that would have taked about what and how.
I always found the demon and treespirit army from TET interesting, and fun theme combinations are what I like to see...
I hate people who don't paint their armies, hate them with all my guts. Beats me how they value other things over painting, like eating or brushing teeth.

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2017, 01:42:44 PM »
The Old World exists, the Skaven don't.

- - -

Gutter runners have already infiltrated your dirty laundry bin, have no doubt about that. ;)
No dirty laundry bin here, just a laundry bag in the closet where there is another closed door. :icon_wink:

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2017, 01:57:05 PM »
The Old World exists, the Skaven don't.

- - -

No dirty laundry bin here, just a laundry bag in the closet where there is another closed door. :icon_wink:

Their tunnel-making special rule, might come in handy in that case. ;)

Gneisenau

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2017, 02:06:20 PM »
They will get in GP. It's only a matter of time 😸
My infestation will probably contain itself to the lower levels. My better half has no patience for these and if anything, they now how to take care of themselves. 🐾⚔️☠️
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Xathrodox86

• Members
  • He Who Fights Monsters
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2017, 02:08:12 PM »
They will get in GP. It's only a matter of time 😸
My infestation will probably contain itself to the lower levels. My better half has no patience for these and if anything, they now how to take care of themselves. 🐾⚔️☠️

Do them in, the dwarven way! With flamethrowers and blasting charges. ::heretic::

Gneisenau

Offline Gankom

• Members
  • The World Builder
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2017, 03:18:04 PM »
Purge them GP! For the Empire!  ::heretic:: ::heretic::

Offline GamesPoet

• Administrator
  • Members
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2017, 04:13:14 PM »
At the moment, I have a whole bunch of Empire troops spread out over a large piece of cardstock, and guess what is sitting next to them ...

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2017, 04:41:09 PM »
where did you hear this?

I think i may have been confused because of this:

On the flip side, it kinda makes sense that furry's would team up...
Wasn't sure if it was a new warscroll (is that what they are called) with some fun fluff that would have taked about what and how.
I always found the demon and treespirit army from TET interesting, and fun theme combinations are what I like to see...

I don't know how much you know about Age of Sigmar, so I will explain as if to a new player

The default core rules of Age of Sigmar, let you pick whatever units you want wiht no limits.  It's up to the players to decide on any limitations or restrictions, or battleplans(scenarios).  As of the General's Handbook 2016, that is now what is called Open play.  There are 3 styles of play, Open play, which is do whatever you want.  Narrative, where you are playing within a story style, so you're representing the battles of the fiction, the published campaigns, Path to Glory campaigns, and so on, there are still no restrictions, unless you choose to, though there sort of are with Path to Glory.

And then the 3rd style is Matched play, which is intended for the competitive tournament style play, which has restrictions, and points. 

In matched play, you must pick an allegiance, which can either be a very specific allegiance, such as Brayherds (The man sized beastmen stuff), or you can play with a Grand alliance allegiance.   So in a Grand Alliance Chaos allegiance, you can take any units that have the CHAOS keyword, so in this case you could take some Skaven and Brayherd units together with Daemons of Nurgle, or Khorne Bloodbound.   

Picking an allegiance gives you access to allegiance abilities, of which there is a battle trait (a sort of army wide rule), command trait (an addition rule for your general), and artefacts (for all intents and purposes, they are magic items).   

There are also some smaller faction allegiances you can choose (In matched play all of an army must be chosen from the same allegiance) and Brayherds are one set that has it's own allegiance abilities - command traits etc, that are more suited to that faction, and therefore you get slightly better benefits.   You can still allies of up to 20% of the points, but only specific other factions, and as of Generals's Handbook 2017, none of the Skaven factions can be an ally of Brayherds or vice versa).

Many people still choose to use a lot of the matched play rules to build armies even if they then play Narrative games or Open play games, as the GHB says that basically all of the GHB content is optional.

Offline Artobans Ghost

• Bar Brawlers
  • Members
« Reply #20 on: September 13, 2017, 05:09:28 PM »
Quote Oxycuter:  and as of Generals's Handbook 2017, none of the Skaven factions can be an ally of Brayherds or vice versa)

Reply: aarghhh!
 Well no matched play then lol. I loved the idea though.
Questions?

GP Jan 4, 2020

Offline Oxycutor

• Members
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2017, 09:52:06 PM »
Hardcore matched play is for tournaments

I'm sure if you ask your opponent, you could ally in some skaven, especially if it's battleline basic stuff.   They might obect to some of the nastier units

Offline Warlord

• Global Moderator
  • Members
  • Sydney, Australia
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2017, 01:05:07 AM »
Thank you oxycutor. I was not up to speed on where it all was up to, especially regarding competitive lists and points.
I still have issues with round bases and not ranked up units on trays, but the rest sounds reasonable for a fantasy skirmish game with lots of factions.